7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

NWP Engineering 7th gen Maxima VIAS Block Plate Kit Test Results

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

NWP Engineering 7th gen Maxima VIAS Block Plate Kit Test Results

You may have noticed that I have been keeping our new product designs private until everything has been tested. Well, the day has finally come to release information on one of the projects we have been working on!

Ever since the 2009 Maxima came out, I knew that an NWP Engineering VIAS Block Plate Kit could possibly be a great modification to offer to the community. And for the past year or so, I have been working on this project for the 7th gen 2009+ Maxima. I realize that a block off plate kit is currently being sold by someone else. But, I do not feel it's necessary to abort a project simply because a different kit came out before we had a chance to finish our testing.

Here are some pictures of the NWP Engineering prototypes:

Several hours have been spent on the dyno testing these prototypes. The test vehicle is none other than Darren Surratt of VoltageDrop.net. He currently owns the world's first and only 2009 Maxima VQ35DE engine swap in an older style Maxima. Best of all, he is using a 6spd manual transmission, which is crucial if you want to conduct accurate dyno tests. The stock 7th gen Maxima only comes with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). This means that the gear ratios are always changing during the dyno pull. Since this is the case, you are unable to accurately use the dyno charts to determine HP gains and losses in various parts of the powerband. Simply put, running a CVT on a dyno can possibly provide some ballpark numbers to look at, but they will not be accurate in determining low end, midrange, and top end HP results and comparing before and after dyno runs. The only way to properly dyno test a vehicle with a CVT transmission is to lock it into a 1:1 gear ratio and currently, this has never been done on a 7th gen Maxima. So, as of right now, Darren owns the world's only 2009 Maxima engine that has the ability to make consistent and comparable dyno runs that will show the entire powerband.

Here is a before and after dyno comparison of a stock intake manifold with stock operating VIAS actuators versus the VIAS actuators being removed and block plates installed:

As you can see, there is a huge 19 ft-lbs of torque loss in low end power and roughly only a 2HP increase on top end. But, this is only comparing two dyno runs. If you know how NWP Engineering does dyno testing, you know that we are way more accurate than this! We always like to take an average of all the dyno runs.

We did 4 dyno runs before and 3 dyno runs after the NWP Block Plates were installed. Then, we exported the runfile data to an Excel spreadsheet so that the numbers can be analyzed more thoroughly. Horsepower and torque data was taken at every 100rpm and used for this comparison. At every 100rpm increment for every dyno run, an average was calculated and then plotted on the dyno chart shown below.

Since Darren's 09 engine was running so consistent, our average dyno comparison chart looks almost identical to the two dyno runs shown above. But, these average results are even more accurate than simply comparing two dyno runs with one another.

As you can see from this dyno chart, that by eliminating the VIAS actuators, there is a low end torque loss of 18.9 ft-lbs at 3600rpm with an average loss of 14.6 ft-lbs between 3200-3900 rpm. And there is a gain of 1.4HP at 6200rpm with an average gain of 1.3HP between 6000-6400 rpm where the 09 Maxima CVT holds the revs at during a wide open throttle run.

In order for your Maxima to accelerate at the same rate or faster from 0-60mph or in the 1/4 mile, you will need a much greater top end HP gain to compensate for the big low end power loss even with the efficiency of a CVT. So in other words, your car will accelerate slower from 0-60mph and in the 1/4 mile with the VIAS actuators removed.

I am really surprised with the efficiency of the stock 09 Maxima Upper Intake Manifold (UIM) with the stock variable induction air system (VIAS).

Unfortunately, the results are not what we had hoped for. I knew there would be a low end power loss, but I didn't know it would be this large of a loss. And I really thought there would be a noticeable top end HP gain to make it worth it overall like the 02-08 Maxima VIAS removal does. But, what seems to work for the 02-08 VQ35DE Maxima does not necessarily work on the 2009 and newer VQ35DE Maxima.

Due to what was proven in our testing, I do not see a need to produce the VIAS Block Plate Kit for the 2009 and newer Maxima. But, I feel compelled to share this information to the Nissan community to let you know what kind of projects NWP Engineering has been working on lately.

As you can see, we thoroughly test all our products before they are released. I won't release a product unless it has been proven to benefit your car's performance. This is not the first time we've tested an NWP prototype and had to abort it due to low performance gains.

Oh well, on to the next project!

Thanks for all your support!

Aaron Kimball (Owner/Operator)
NWP Engineering, Inc
[aaron@nwpengineering.com]
www.NWPEngineering.com
252-375-4NWP (4697) (Hours: M-F 9-5pm EST)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM

wow, so the block off plates are not helpful on the maxima. I am stunned to find these results. Save up for something else my max fam. great find, i appreciate the accurate information. I am surprised and am waiting on some others to post there thoughts
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM

You sir deserve a medal.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Wow ^^ I totally agree with MightyMax I was just about to buy this product from some other provider. Thanks I'll save my money for some other mod.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Sad day.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
You sir deserve a medal.

Aaron is the Man!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM

I remember reading that SurraTT had both VIASs activating at the same time as the single VIAS on the 1st gen VQ35. Was the optimal activation point ever determined for both VIASs on the 09 motor?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM

I like how honest this company is there isnt much power to made with these cars this cvt is really limited in what we can do
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Bummer. At least I got mine used. Guess what I'm doing this weekend...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I remember reading that SurraTT had both VIASs activating at the same time as the single VIAS on the 1st gen VQ35. Was the optimal activation point ever determined for both VIASs on the 09 motor?
well we know that Darren spent several hours on the dyno so i'm sure they pinpointed optimal vias activation points and did the test runs based on that.

in any case, it looks like even though the benefit is negligible, the NWP BOP for the upper rpm band is good at least for some added bling in the engine bay.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM

This is helpful to know, but in my opinion there are still many other variables; this testing wasn't done in a 7th gen, just with the same block. This is why manufacturers don't just make an intake for the VQ35DE and claim what the gains are for all cars that have this motor, they have to do testing on each car to get completely accurate results. If they could do that it would sure simplify testing parts that's for sure, and my guess is we would have a lot more parts available for the 7th gen with manufacturers being able to show the gains for our car using a different car to test with..
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM

True dat Ghozt. Are people forgetting that there was a huge thread on the CXJ plates? The dyno app testing was a great read.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM

That is good info to share. I had the bop plate on my car and took it off as I did not like the loss of low end power.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM

wow saved me some money
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To the OP - I applaud your business practices! You could have simply come on here and said that your kits were ready for purchase and based on the improvements the BOP made on ther previous gen. similiair results would be seen on the gen 7's. You could have made money here........

I totally respect a business that looks at the "long term" goals/results instead of the "short term make a quick buck" approach.

Being a fairly new Nissan Max owner, reading alot of info on this site, I am always looking for ways to improve my current cars performance. Rest assured, I will now be following you and your company going forward for improvements you make on the 7h gen Maxima.

You have gained my repsect and potential business down the road!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 AM

if this dyno test is valid which I'm not 100% sure of Aaron should of posted a video of b4 and after just to 100% assure his claims are valid.

this being said, since that 5th gen has OUR motor and the WHP is pretty idential to what the Whp would be on a 6mt altima with a vq35, I DO feel pretty sure that the gains/losses are very much accurate regardless of what people are saying "its not the same car" seems to be more of a defence statement towards your signature.
sorry I just tell it how it is, some tell it how it might be. and as far as testing goes testing on the Manifold spacers did not have a before and after dyno test it just had a dyno sheet and words on it saying +10whp .....how nice.

FAILURE is the key to success.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
if this dyno test is valid which I'm not 100% sure of Aaron should of posted a video of b4 and after just to 100% assure his claims are valid.

this being said, since that 5th gen has OUR motor and the WHP is pretty idential to what the Whp would be on a 6mt altima with a vq35, I DO feel pretty sure that the gains/losses are very much accurate regardless of what people are saying "its not the same car" seems to be more of a defence statement towards your signature.
sorry I just tell it how it is, some tell it how it might be. and as far as testing goes testing on the Manifold spacers did not have a before and after dyno test it just had a dyno sheet and words on it saying +10whp .....how nice.

FAILURE is the key to success.
He wouldnt have posted if he wasnt 100 percent sure dont you think?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Great job!
On the other hand what do you think the engineers at Nissan do?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Toys7505
To the OP - I applaud your business practices! You could have simply come on here and said that your kits were ready for purchase and based on the improvements the BOP made on ther previous gen. similiair results would be seen on the gen 7's. You could have made money here........

I totally respect a business that looks at the "long term" goals/results instead of the "short term make a quick buck" approach.

Being a fairly new Nissan Max owner, reading alot of info on this site, I am always looking for ways to improve my current cars performance. Rest assured, I will now be following you and your company going forward for improvements you make on the 7h gen Maxima.

You have gained my repsect and potential business down the road!
Couldnt have said it better!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM

..................... I still wish these were tested with real world applications in mind, not everyone as a hybrid maxima.

As per low end power, everyone know ANY BOP WILL DO THAT, its been talked about numerious times. Just to throw it in there, lets not forget CAI's and SRI's also contribute to low of end loss
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
i definitely feel you, I was looking at a G coupe and Z as well when shopping and settled on the Max cause it had the most room and least blind spots. and yeah I bought my car used, always good to let some other sucker pay for most of the depreciation
Hey hey this is my 5th new
7thgen the working at the dealer has it percks but i keep this one i think this is the only one i did mods too and i got it for a crack deal but back on topic in tired of telling people theres no power in these cars the money spent on a few hp doesnt make sense
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Papies01
Hey hey this is my 5th new
7thgen the working at the dealer has it percks but i keep this one i think this is the only one i did mods too and i got it for a crack deal but back on topic in tired of telling people theres no power in these cars the money spent on a few hp doesnt make sense

this is my 4th maxima and the only one I prolly wont mod ha ha....for me its plenty quick, comfy, with the sport package handles nice. i like it the way it is.....honestly, stock will beat alot of cars on the road
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
this is my 4th maxima and the only one I prolly wont mod ha ha....for me its plenty quick, comfy, with the sport package handles nice. i like it the way it is.....honestly, stock will beat alot of cars on the road

Agreed the 7th gen looks real sporty, add some visual mods (lip and roof wing) and the cars are super beautiful and plenty quick. Some dont like the CVT but i actually love it. very smooth and quick response
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM

This isnt a race car if it wAs 6mt it still wouldnt be a race car but there would be other options ..for 40k and u want go fast go buy an sti or evo10 thats just my though and u cant go wrong
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Ok, this is out of hand right now. So, we need to settle this with a RACE!!! I don't care if you want to or not, I will make you bring out your car to the closed course circuit and you will race. Winner takes the other person's car!!! So, bring your disco-maximas and go-fast-goodies maximas. We need to settle this for good. No more posts after this, until after the race!!!

LOL........

But on a serious note, please guys, why would you bash each other on here soooooo much? Now we are learning a lot about some people and would be scared getting ideas from some particular people.

After my own personal attempts to get my Max to go faster, I have seen that people spend way too much for a few hp increase. So, I put more priority on improving the looks of the Maximas than improving speed. I think those paid Nissan Engineers did an awesome job. And to make this car superior than stock, you need to turbo it. I think most of the performance mods that guys do are mainly for sound improvement and butt dyno.

I respect these companies on here that take their time and money to invest in products for our cars. Please, let's respect them and sure, buy from whoever you want. And whether your car is a disco-maxima or go-fast maxima, it just goes to show why we all are on here: TO BE UNIQUE!!!!!! So, it might be hard to find 2 Maxs that have exactly the same mods. So, respect each others mods.

As for the research done by these companies, I respect them for that. I have always said dyno is in a very controlled environment and may not be very true as real life conditions. But then again, I realized that is the best and safest way for these companies to do their tests and show proven real results. So, it is a good way for them to prove their points. Good job, guys.

Now, you guys know we all need each other here for tips and ideas. So, stop giving wrong advice to friends and stop calling them out on here, lol. You guys might still need each other down the road.

Let's all shake hands and go get a drink. I also call off the race, if you guys behave!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Ok, this is out of hand right now. So, we need to settle this with a RACE!!! I don't care if you want to or not, I will make you bring out your car to the closed course circuit and you will race. Winner takes the other person's car!!! So, bring your disco-maximas and go-fast-goodies maximas. We need to settle this for good. No more posts after this, until after the race!!!

LOL........

But on a serious note, please guys, why would you bash each other on here soooooo much? Now we are learning a lot about some people and would be scared getting ideas from some particular people.

After my own personal attempts to get my Max to go faster, I have seen that people spend way too much for a few hp increase. So, I put more priority on improving the looks of the Maximas than improving speed. I think those paid Nissan Engineers did an awesome job. And to make this car superior than stock, you need to turbo it. I think most of the performance mods that guys do are mainly for sound improvement and butt dyno.

I respect these companies on here that take their time and money to invest in products for our cars. Please, let's respect them and sure, buy from whoever you want. And whether your car is a disco-maxima or go-fast maxima, it just goes to show why we all are on here: TO BE UNIQUE!!!!!! So, it might be hard to find 2 Maxs that have exactly the same mods. So, respect each others mods.

As for the research done by these companies, I respect them for that. I have always said dyno is in a very controlled environment and may not be very true as real life conditions. But then again, I realized that is the best and safest way for these companies to do their tests and show proven real results. So, it is a good way for them to prove their points. Good job, guys.

Now, you guys know we all need each other here for tips and ideas. So, stop giving wrong advice to friends and stop calling them out on here, lol. You guys might still need each other down the road.

Let's all shake hands and go get a drink. I also call off the race, if you guys behave!!!
I garantee im the only one on here with a molded stillen front lip and all that gay wood grain mine is body shop point with bodyshop clear coat so wen it get ****edup i buff it
Out with some wax and wat lol
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima

LOL........

Emile, now thats why we are friends, lol. GREAT POST
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by HMAX08
The problem with NWP's fanboys are they think NWP is god and created everything under the sun for the maximas. History tells you that is a negator batman

My whole concern is why NOT test this on REAL WORLD applications, Darrens application is not for the everyday maxima folks, that have a CVT paired with a computer that tuned to work with the motor and tranny. CXJ's BOP was tested on a CVT platform which all 7th gens run on and provided his numbers. everyone knew there was loss at low end as with ALL OTHER BOPS for all GENS.
El Oh El
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Love my '09

Folks, this is a vendor thread. Please respect the vendors. If you don't like or want their product, move along.

Let's not disrespect any vendor with petty arguing.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Toys7505;8470635]To the OP - I applaud your business practices! You could have simply come on here and said that your kits were ready for purchase and based on the improvements the BOP made on ther previous gen. similiair results would be seen on the gen 7's. You could have made money here........

You have gained my repsect and potential business down the road![/QUOTE]

+1
Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
The optimal VIAS release point for Darren's particular engine seems to be about 4000rpm. If you look closely at the dyno chart, his VIAS release point is around 3800 rpm, which I think is a TAD too soon for best gains on the stock manifold. But it's still plenty good for this test since the important thing to look at is the power loss below 4K rpm and the small HP gain above 6K rpm. If you adjusted the VIAS release point by 200rpm, it won't change the power gains and losses for the VIAS removal.

Originally Posted by Ghozt
This is helpful to know, but in my opinion there are still many other variables; this testing wasn't done in a 7th gen, just with the same block. This is why manufacturers don't just make an intake for the VQ35DE and claim what the gains are for all cars that have this motor, they have to do testing on each car to get completely accurate results. If they could do that it would sure simplify testing parts that's for sure, and my guess is we would have a lot more parts available for the 7th gen with manufacturers being able to show the gains for our car using a different car to test with..
This testing was done on a 2002 Maxima with a fully stock operational 2009 engine. It not just the same block as the 09. It IS the 09 engine.

So I am not comparing an 02 Maxima to an 09 Maxima. I'm comparing an 09 Maxima engine to an 09 Maxima engine. The only thing that is different is the transmission type. And that will not change the fact that what you see in the dyno charts show the power curve of 09 engine. The only difference with an 09 Maxima and the test vehicle is that an 09 Maxima has a CVT transmission. But, even with the CVT, if you launch the car from a standstill, you are still going to rev from 2500rpm all the way to 6200rpm where the revs will stay after that. So, while you accelerate from 2500rpm up to redline, your car is actually slower due to the loss in low end power. But once you are at 6200rpm, you will start accelerating a tad faster due to the 1.4hp gain at that point. But, 1.4hp on top end is not enough of a power increase to compensate for the low end power loss in order to make your car accelerate faster in the 1/4 mile or from 0-60mph.

Originally Posted by HMAX08
..................... I still wish these were tested with real world applications in mind, not everyone as a hybrid maxima.

As per low end power, everyone know ANY BOP WILL DO THAT, its been talked about numerious times. Just to throw it in there, lets not forget CAI's and SRI's also contribute to low of end loss
The only way to test an actual 09 Maxima CVT right now is to put some big slicks on it and take it to the track. The slicks will be needed in order to get perfect traction on every test run. And if I am the driver, I can probably get this car to run within 2-3 hundredths of a second in the 1/4 mile. That is accurate enough to determine before and after test results with a modification. But, you would need to make sure you properly account for all the variables you deal with on the track, such as, ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, tire pressure, driver consistency, and track temperature if traction becomes a slight issue. But traction shouldn't be issue on a near stock 09 Maxima with a decent pair of slicks. Also, the weather conditions can change drastically within 30 minutes. So just because the runs were done on the same day at the same track with the same car, it may not be conclusive. But I know if I did the track tests, with as much bracket racing experience I have, I know it could be accurate.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Nice info Aaron....
Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Aaron knows his stuff everyone who objects is just a hater IMO. I've asked Aaron many questions in the past, one of the few people I turn to for info for the VQ engine. keep up the good work Aaron we needed a REAL dyno test car and the 5.7 gen was perfect for it. like he he said it IS the 7th gen motor which is making the same exact power as our car is ....the things ppl post sometimes.
I do know one fact cory never dyno tested the BOP the gains were based on a uncalibrated butt dyno lol

disco maximas ftw

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 05-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM

u did it!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Great information, Aaron! It just goes to show that the Nissan engineers knew what they were doing with the design of that engine.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
This testing was done on a 2002 Maxima with a fully stock operational 2009 engine. It not just the same block as the 09. It IS the 09 engine.

THATS RIGHT! SET THEM STRAIGHT.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think the Nissan engineers are getting better at perfecting the VQ series engines. I am a huge 09+ Maxima engine fan now! I would love to have one in my 1992 Maxima.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Much respect for a company being so honest! Can't wait to see what parts they have in mind!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 20MAXGIRL13
Much respect for a company being so honest! Can't wait to see what parts they have in mind!
I appreciate the comment.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I appreciate the comment.
Aaron, are you planning on developing anything else for the 7th gen platform or are you waiting for the 8th gen unveiling late 2014?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NWP Engineering 7th gen Maxima VIAS Block Plate Kit Test Results