7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your head gaskets!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Actually, you are correct on price. A fully loaded 2013 SV Premium MSRP is $42,095 as listed on Nissan's website. Believe it or not, some people do pay MSRP either due to ignorance, or that their jobs require it.

As for the crop of engine issues, one of the main reasons I keep choosing Nissan is their reputation for strong, reliable power trains. The use of timing chains over belts is one example of that.

Personally, I'm shocked hearing of head gasket failures. That's something I'd attribute to a poorly assembled discount auto, not a Maxima. I'm also one of the owners who has the "low idle Knock" that may now be an engine bearing issue. I believe I'm one of the first persons to post about it. It never occurred to me that it could be a major engine issue. VQ engines, especially one this mature should not have issues like this.
Thanks for the feedback... I was shocked as well when I started researching VQ head gaskets blowing. Although this problem seems to be primarily in Muranos and Altimas, I'm seeing more and more evidence of Maximas suffering as well. Prior to finding the leaking HG, I felt this was the most solid, smoothest, and solid engine I have ever owned. I never felt anything different even after learning I had a blown head gasket... The dealer confirmed the external leaking I noticed, but also said that when they pulled the #5 cylinder plug, it showed signs of burning coolant. I think the fact that I did not notice any power loss even with an internal gasket failure is testament to how strong this engine is. I truly believe Nissan just used sub-standard HGs during a certain period of time, found there was an issue, and came out with a redesigned HG. Hopefully, this one will hold. Does anyone know the details on the design/changes of the newest HG? I know that the VQ35HR has a different design that allows for better cooling. Just wondering if the newest VQ35DE HG mimics that or if the two are completely different animals.

I recommend getting the "engine knock" checked out. Although 3 different oil analysis did not show any increased crank wear, I have to believe if the knock is that loud, SOMETHING must be making contact. If the NTB states the #1 bearing is the cause... it must be the crankshaft and bearing knocking together. I didn't want to wait until I got a "positive" oil analysis back and the damage had already been done.

I'll also add that I had to go to one dealer three times for them to try and hear it... of course they said they could not reproduce it. I took it to a bigger dealer and they heard it right away. Just be persistant... annoying even.

The NTB is NTB12-071 if you want to look it up... if not, PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF file. I'll post back when my car gets finished. I'm requesting the dealer keep the old bearing so I can visualize any wear from this issue and see the health of my engine regarding crank wear. Hope this helps somebody as much as the OP helped me!

UPDATE: See http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ts-w-pics.html

Last edited by Kawowski; 03-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
where in the world did you find a price tag of $43,000? im pretty sure nobody would have bought a 7th gen Max for that much.
As the previous poster said, MSRP for a fully loaded SV is 42k. I'm not saying I paid that, just that the company states that what the car is "worth" when new.

And thanks for the insult on my 10'... j/k
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. Good to see this made it over here. I (b15) started the thread over on Nissanclub. This seems to be a fairly common issue on the 2nd gen VQ35DE starting from the 2007+ Altimas. I'm pretty sure all the VQ35DE's share the same HG and while I don't know what years it affected the Maxima- I was told by my dealer that they've recently done the HG on a 2011 Murano. My '08 Altima had 64k and had been seeping for awhile, I just didn't have time to bring it in.

This is definately a huge mess up on Nissan's part and they are trying to stay silent. Also, it looks like Nissan has changed the HG part numbers on the 2007+ VQ multiple times. I'm just trying to spread the word. Something like this should NEVER happen on an engine as coveted as the VQ. Take it for what it's worth. If you are out of warranty, I would just keep an eye on the coolant level an not sweat it. It appears to be a slow external leak (my UOAs never showed any signs of coolant in the oil). If you still have warranty, then I would go ahead and get it replaced. They do drop your engine to do the work so that's a bit to stomach.

Like someone said earlier- despite all this, I still like my VQ and Nissan. Common sense tells me to run after having two Nissan's and dealing with their underwhelming quality for the past 10years, but they are still on my "to buy" list. Go figure.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Is this covered by the Nissan CPO warranty? Just bought my 09 less than a year ago, and coolant is low, slight antifreeze smell in the engine bay, but I haven't checked underneath yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Super96Max
Is this covered by the Nissan CPO warranty? Just bought my 09 less than a year ago, and coolant is low, slight antifreeze smell in the engine bay, but I haven't checked underneath yet.
How many miles you got?

Factory warranty on the drivetrain is 5yrs/60k miles. That alone would cover it. The CPO warranty should cover it but you may wanna read the fine print.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM

I had my 2010 Maxima for 3 years and every time I brought it to the dealer for service or one of the many problems I had I mentioned I always smell coolant.
They continually brushed it off as "normal" or "Cannot replicate". Once they said there was a loose hose but that doesn't make sense why it would smell for 3 years... thank god I got rid of her...
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
How many miles you got?

Factory warranty on the drivetrain is 5yrs/60k miles. That alone would cover it. The CPO warranty should cover it but you may wanna read the fine print.
Somewhere in the 50K range, definitely less than 60K. I remember reading that the Nissan CPO extends it to 7yr/100K but I can't remember the details or what that covers.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM

You'll be covered either way then... try to look up from under the car around the rear bank exhaust manifold. That's where my leak was... If you can get a picture it will help you overcome any "normal smell" comments by the dealer.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2010 with 63000 miles and the dealer just covered my repair. I also had complained mulitple times and they brushed me off too. So one day I smelled it drove to the dealership, had the service manger come out to verify. The next day they checked my car and it was indeed the head gasket. It has been a few days and I still smell it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Glad I could inform some of you regarding the issue. At least I got a free oil, coolant, and CVT fluid change out of the whole deal.

Tealmill, there is prolly residual antifreeze from them draining it to do the repair. Mine was the same way. Everything is good to go now.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 AM

Just had mine done under warranty thank god warranty for 5 yr or 60k expired July 7 2014
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 AM

When I bought my car it came with untransferable life time warranty on engine and transmission. I thought it was a marketing trick because even if I keep the car for 100 000 miles, which I wont, what could possibly happen to the almighty VQ or transmission for only 100K. Reading this makes me thing this warranty is more precious than what I originally thought. I have free oil changes too and I was thinking of skipping those and doing my own oil at home so I know I put good oil in it and save time from driving and waiting at the dealer but now I think I would rather go have them change the oil just so they can't look for excuse to void my warranty if something happens.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Well . . . add my 2010 with 42k miles on it to this list.

It's been in the dealer since before Thanksgiving getting the head gaskets replaced which is being done under warranty.

It has a build date of January 2010 for reference.

Thanks for posting over here VQPOWER and others!

Last edited by SleekMax; 12-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
where in the world did you find a price tag of $43,000? im pretty sure nobody would have bought a 7th gen Max for that much.
Canada
Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 AM
RR5

Pretty sure I had a coolant smell on my 2011, and what luck its winter. Not really my idea of a fun thing to do on the weekend.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 AM

How do you or the dealer tell if the head gasket is leaking? My 2014 which I've had for 12 months has had a coolant like smell since new. I notice the smell coming from the warm engine when I park it in the garage. I also notice it in the cabin when I first get on the highway but then it seems to go away. It is more noticeable in the warm weather.

I have asked the dealer to pressure test the cooling system and they did not find any sign of a leak. There are no visible leaks and the coolant level remains constant. There is no sign of coolant in the oil either.

Last edited by Nopike; 12-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 AM

this is sad

engine has been around for decades and still flawed
Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Canada
I payed 35k for mine plus tax.
2013 SV with Sport.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Count my 2010 Maxima among the affected. 57k miles. I noticed a green/blue small puddle in the snow these last few snowstorms. I brought it in for an oil change and told them about it since my PT warranty expires on the 20th. They said they couldn't find any coolant leaks but that my right side transaxle axle seal was leaking. they also mentioned that my coolant was low but, get this, not unusually low for the winter. HAHA. This was on the 12th. I jacked the car up over the weekend and immediately spotted a bluish/whitish residue around the head gasket area on the front bank. I couldn't see anything on the rear bank but that's becuase there's to much crap in the way.

So I bring it in today to get the seal replaced and tell them about my findings regarding the blue residue. Told them I'd show the technician exactly where it was. All day goes by then I get a call telling me it's leaking and they see what I'm talking about.

I never noticed any kind of coolant smell that I can remember. I have noticed a kind of mist in the exhaust under full throttle acceleration. Really easy to see at night if someone is right behind me. Maybe that was coolant in the exhaust? I don't know. I chalked it up to moisture in the exhaust (byproduct of combustion) being blown out by the high throttle. Maybe it was coolant, maybe it was normal exhaust moisture.

BOOOOOO!!! HIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I'm gonna get it fixed and trade it in sooner rather than later!

Last edited by umdpru; 02-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Funny how the techs at Nissan were not able to locate the coolant leak but you were able to find it. Guess they were not trying very hard.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-17-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by umdpru
Count my 2010 Maxima among the affected. 57k miles. I noticed a green/blue small puddle in the snow these last few snowstorms. I brought it in for an oil change and told them about it since my PT warranty expires on the 20th. They said they couldn't find any coolant leaks but that my right side transaxle axle seal was leaking. they also mentioned that my coolant was low but, get this, not unusually low for the winter. HAHA. This was on the 12th. I jacked the car up over the weekend and immediately spotted a bluish/whitish residue around the head gasket area on the front bank. I couldn't see anything on the rear bank but that's becuase there's to much crap in the way.

So I bring it in today to get the seal replaced and tell them about my findings regarding the blue residue. Told them I'd show the technician exactly where it was. All day goes by then I get a call telling me it's leaking and they see what I'm talking about.

I never noticed any kind of coolant smell that I can remember. I have noticed a kind of mist in the exhaust under full throttle acceleration. Really easy to see at night if someone is right behind me. Maybe that was coolant in the exhaust? I don't know. I chalked it up to moisture in the exhaust (byproduct of combustion) being blown out by the high throttle. Maybe it was coolant, maybe it was normal exhaust moisture.

BOOOOOO!!! HIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I'm gonna get it fixed and trade it in sooner rather than later!
YIKES! That's a massive leak to actually see it on the ground. No bueno! Mine has 135,000 miles and it's (fortunately) an extremely slow leak. i smell it anytime the radiator fans come on. I had to add a quart of fluid at 60,000 miles. There is blue/green crusties where the block seals to the head at the head gasket on both banks.

That's pretty jacked up that the dealers would blow you off after you saw coolant on the ground. "Duuhhhh....I can't find where it's leaking from" is a bad answer from any dealer technician when a customer tells you they see coolant under their car. I don't think I'll own another Nissan. My Maxima has been WONDERFUL and extremely reliable with extremely minimal maintenance costs. But, due to Nissan's business practice to F the customer, probably won't go down that road again for reasons such as yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Trav
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 AM

I had my 2010 Max in for brakes and tires, so the Dealer gave me a free loaner since it might take more than a day (to get the tires in). They noticed liquid on the floor and called me to say they were replacing the head gasket. I never noticed anything before or after.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by corollaulev
i don't think i'll own another nissan. Due to nissan's business practice to f the customer, probably won't go down that road again for reasons such as yours.
Trav
+1
Old 03-19-2016, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just had this work done under extended warranty. Both HG's, etc. etc.

96K miles, 2010 Maxima. Very faint smell but the oil change place did report the coolant reservoir was "bone dry" once. Never really gave it much thought.

Went to the dealer for another issue, they found this...

Even fixed for free, it's damn irritating. Smells pretty bad now but I'm assuming it's leftover fluids which need to burn off...?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:20 PM

I have a coolant smell. I'm going to look at the head and block area tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Im beginning to be a bit concerned, bought the car used at 45k miles seemingly fine, clean carfax, 1 leaser, ect. Drove normally and began noticing that my car seems to put out a lot moderate amount of white "smvapor" out of the exhaust. Its not full blown clouds of dense white smoke but compared to a friends 2008 Acura TLS similar dual pipe setup after running for a while its quite a bit thicker, billiower (larger) and goes further to dissipate. Seems to occcur to an extent on warm days as well. Work at an auto parts store part time and was changing a bootleg dealer or previous owner hidden taped upper radiator hose under the snorkel on a warm day and while warming the motor to allow the thermostat to open to breath the system before topping it off and he pointed out that it looked like my car was burning coolant. I looked at my exhaust and told him thats pretty much how it always looks, he thought i seafomed it or something too. I tried smelling it and the thing is I couldnt exactly detect sweetish smell of coolant but it smelled more burntish. Will try pulling plugs but I dont think its burning oil, last oil change was first I did myself after getting car and it came out pretty thick but not really abnormal. I hope somethings not about to go tragically wrong, I just changed CVT fluid (drain/fill NS-2 only) too and I dont like the fact the car will constantly smoke light white after warmed up I hope the head gaskets arent going.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 AM

Also my idle fluctuates a lot between 6-700rpm to over 1000, I know its normal for light fluctuations but it seems a little rough at times like a truck idling.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 PM

I could not see any crust near the heads but I discovered my coolant overflow tank is completely empty. 2900 miles.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 PM

Interesting I just checked my coolant level and it's extremely low I'm going to have them check it tomorrow when I get the oil changed