7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Looking to purchase '10 SV, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 AM

Looking to purchase '10 SV, advice needed

Hi all,

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but I am not having any luck with the search function. Anyway, I'm currently looking to purchase a 2010 SV model with premium and tech packages. I found one that is the right color etc, however the price is 25.6k. It has 33,000 miles and is listed as a cpo.

My question is does this price seem right or is it a bit on the high side? According to the internet manager, this is the "no haggle" price. Has anyone here haggled a "no haggle" price?

Lastly, any major things to look out for on the test drive? I'm not too worried about the mechanical parts of the car, but should I be worried about things like heated seats failing or issues with the dual sunroof? (assuming I don't purchase an extended warranty)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghost722
Hi all,

My question is does this price seem right or is it a bit on the high side? According to the internet manager, this is the "no haggle" price. Has anyone here haggled a "no haggle" price?
If they want to sell the car "that day" the price can be haggled. Dont let the salesman in the snake skin boots with the slicked back hair be a threat. They want 25.6k, you offer 22k. They will meet you in the middle, if not, keep looking. Chances are you'll get a call back that day looking to make a deal with you.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got my '10 SV 3 weeks with 49000 km (~29K miles) no sport, no tech pkg for $24k CDN but I did not haggle the price. I did haggle for 4 brand new winters that saved me over $800 and they took $500 off the asking price for the Nissan Major Component extended warrantee... (3 years, 36000 miles on the big $$$ stuff)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM

@ Ryan, not sure if thats entirely true....i walked in the dealeship the weekend that i sold my car and had to buy another one...with cash in my pocket and these guys wouldnt even budge a penny... wouldnt even give me stuff...nothing...Priced as is take it or leave it attitude...Even after i noticed a small ding on the hood....nothing!

My advise, dont deal with people like that...its not that kind of a business! It only foreshadows problem in the future if you need to take it back for any "covered" repairs..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 AM

I suggest that you get pricing from several sources like KBB, NADA and MSN auto also check for asking prices for the same year vehicle in your local area.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
@ Ryan, not sure if thats entirely true....i walked in the dealeship the weekend that i sold my car and had to buy another one...with cash in my pocket and these guys wouldnt even budge a penny... wouldnt even give me stuff...nothing...Priced as is take it or leave it attitude...Even after i noticed a small ding on the hood....nothing!
And those are the kind of dealerships you drive by a month later and see the same car reduced by $3k

Ive walked out of a few dealerships on previous cars only to have the salesman call me back hours later after I tell him I'm all set only to have the sales manager call me after.

This is why you never see the same sales manager at dealerships for long. If they can't move the cars, they get moved.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM

^ I agree...
in my case they did call back...but still didnt offer a dime...the dealership in Westwood
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM

For what it's worth ...

I bought a 2010 SV with sport package still under warranty (non CPO) last November. List price was about $25k with 23k miles. Got the price to around $24k and got $4000 for my 03 Maxima (112k miles, poor condition, 3 accidents).

The place where I really saved money was the financing. I had a loan in hand from an outside lender. The dealer could not touch the APR I was getting.

On a side note ... I found the dealership, a place in New Britain Connecticut, that bought my used 2003 Maxima at auction. They priced it at $8500. Last I checked it was still on the lot listed at $7500.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by eesjunin

My advise, dont deal with people like that...its not that kind of a business! It only foreshadows problem in the future if you need to take it back for any "covered" repairs..
I agree 100%, don't get emotionally attached to the car, and be prepared to walk.
I went into the dealer 5 minutes from the house and told them that I wanted an SV with sport package and that if they give me a good price on it, that I would also buy a minivan from them for the wife. They wouldn't even haggle the price, even though I would be buying two cars on the spot, so I walked! My finance company called me the next day and told me about a used max that had just come on the market at a Honda dealer 30mins away, so I went to see it, test drove it and bought it and a 2011 minivan right then and there.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM

go in at the end of the month, end of the quarter, or end of the year. deal will be better for each of those. also find out how many days on lot the car has been there, you can use that to your advantage to argue down the price because after a while dealers just want to get those things moved!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM

In Jan 2012 I bought a mint CPO 2010 SV Premium Tech w/ 22k miles. They were asking $28,500 and after a loooong negotiation we settled At $26k. Another dealer had a similar car with 29k miles with some visible scratches and wouldn't go under $28k
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Search your local craigslist, people post cars that are lease returns and will have to pay if they return them with miles over the agreement. You may be able to get a good deal . I just purchased my second Max for $20000, 2010 with sport and tech package. It had some cosmetic issues door dings and such. I called and added an extended full coverage warranty for $1480 "Santa Rosa Nissan". So I'm in the car for $22k after ding repair, warranty and purchase price.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM

I just picked up last week an '10 with 32k miles, SV Premium no accidents, new tires, clean as a whistle... I paid $20,500 for it, and I got them to throw in a 4 year unlimited mile warranty on top of it... It helped that I came in with 6k cash and pre-approved through my lender so they literally had to do nothing, but call my bank and have me sign on the dotted line... Like was said above, get pre-approved and make sure to bring in the paperwork stating that.... let them know that you aren't joking around and you are looking to bring home today if the price is right, and if it's not, walk out.... either they'll call you back, or there's another car right around the corner.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

As long as it is in decent shape that is a pretty fair price for one with those options from what I see on our pre-owned maximas. The car is probably marked at like $27k on the lot, they advertise aggressively online because that is where everyone shops nowadays, hence the no haggle price. There is probably some wiggle room, depends on how long the car has been on the lot, if it only a couple weeks old there is probably still a decent amount of markup, after 30, 60, 90 days they mark them down progressively.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM

The price as is, is a "fair" price due to the CPO. Keep in mind, you may be hard pressed to find another used car exactly as you want. If you aren't willing to walk on a deal you may be the loser. And regarding prequalified, that can be used to your advantage. Keep that card in your pocket until a price is settled on. For example, if your bank qualify you at 3%, unannounced to the dealership; the dealer may be willing to drop the price if they believe you will use their financing at 6%.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
go in at the end of the month, end of the quarter, or end of the year. deal will be better for each of those. also find out how many days on lot the car has been there, you can use that to your advantage to argue down the price because after a while dealers just want to get those things moved!
Exactly... those are typically the best times to purchase a vehicle. I bought my Maxima on December 31, 2012. One of the last sales they were going to get!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

not sure where you are but i turned my lease in on my '10 sv prem/tech with right around 33k miles. I would stay away from it with a 10' pole! It was Ocean Gray in Long Island NY (who knows where they ship lease turn ins to prolly around tri-state...)