7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight problem (1 side goes off sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HID Headlight problem (1 side goes off sometimes)

So I just got HID installed yesterday for my headlights, but today it one side would go off in middle of driving and I'd have to turn the lights off and on for them to come on again...

I don't know if this may be the cause but I had my left headlights replaced completely brand new a while ago because I got into a minor accident and the left side was the one that broke. So that means my right one is much older, and that's the one that sometimes goes out... Could it be because one side of the headlight assembly is newer there's something going on with the electronics that throws it off balance causing the older headlight to go out?

Or could it be a bulb or ballast or something?

Anyone help a rookie out? Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM

Wiggle around the headlight harness. If something happens, you found your problem. If nothing happens, ballast could be the culprit. Also check your ground points.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM

If you always leave your headlights on "Auto" it will happen a lot. I tend to turn my headlights off and on manually and it solved the problem
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM

This used to happen to me on my previous car..in which I installed HIDs.

You could usually re-ignite the HIDs like you have been doing by turning them on and off or High Beam to Low Beam. This is a temp fix..but could be annoying.

The Issue Might be:
1) Ballast is starting to go bad.
2) The Bulb is starting to go bad.
3) Loose wire connection

How to Fix:
1) Take your HID bulb out and see if there is any burnt marks in the connector (glass bowl) and if so..the bulb is starting to get shot. You could also take the bulb from the left side and put it into the right and see if it works. If so..its a light problem.

2) Take the Ballast off and switch it with a different Ballast..if it works normally..it was a Ballast issue.

3) I am not sure how you hooked the HIDs up..but if you spliced wires..make sure the positive and negatives aren't touching eachother..or this will be a problem. Follow the electrical wire and make sure its intact.

* The only issue you might have is figuring out if its a ballast or bulb issue because it hasn't completely gone out yet. I am not sure how often this happens..but if it happens everytime you start the car..then you will find the problem..if it happens on a rare occasion..then it could be difficult!

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM

^ yeah what he said! Lol
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
^ yeah what he said! Lol
LMAO!!! GNC You are a funny person man..on these forums you crack me up lol.

Oh and OP..if you live in NY..just bring it to my crib..I'll fix it for you..Idk if you live in NY I didn't look.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by FSKMAX
So I just got HID installed yesterday for my headlights, but today it one side would go off in middle of driving and I'd have to turn the lights off and on for them to come on again...

I don't know if this may be the cause but I had my left headlights replaced completely brand new a while ago because I got into a minor accident and the left side was the one that broke. So that means my right one is much older, and that's the one that sometimes goes out... Could it be because one side of the headlight assembly is newer there's something going on with the electronics that throws it off balance causing the older headlight to go out?

Or could it be a bulb or ballast or something?

Anyone help a rookie out? Thanks
If this is an aftermarket HID kit I'd check all your connections . What brand of kit is this? Also when it was installed was a relay harness used or was it connected to factory wiring?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had some mechanic do it for me, so I'm not really sure, and yeah MaximaGuido09c I live in NY wayyyy east Long Island though, I actually dig your fogs I was thinking of installing the same exact colors, so if you have some info where to get it let me know!

GNC Maxima I think you're onto it I realized everytime it was off I had "auto" on... >_> Whenever I manually turn it on it has no problems. So what do you usually do? Have it on off then turn the switch all the way to "ON" everytime you need it on? Never "auto"? lol, wonder what causes this problem though...

Thanks for all the responses btw guys

Last edited by FSKMAX; 03-20-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM

I had some mechanic do it for me, so I'm not really sure, and yeah MaximaGuido09c I live in NY wayyyy east Long Island though, I actually dig your fogs I was thinking of installing the same exact colors, so if you have some info where to get it let me know!

GNC Maxima I think you're onto it I realized everytime it was off I had "auto" on... >_> Whenever I manually turn it on it has no problems. So what do you usually do? Have it on off then turn the switch all the way to "ON" everytime you need it on? Never "auto"? lol, wonder what causes this problem though...

Thanks for all the responses btw guys
How east are we talking? Because I am everywhere lol. You will go to VLEDs.com and you will search for the LED 6K Fog Lights. That or you could go obnoxiously bright with an HID Kit as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
How east are we talking? Because I am everywhere lol. You will go to VLEDs.com and you will search for the LED 6K Fog Lights. That or you could go obnoxiously bright with an HID Kit as well.

By Port Jefferson, so around middle of LI?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM

By Port Jefferson, so around middle of LI?
Okay I have 5 Maxima Individuals that I am going to be helping throughout these 2 months..So private msg me your number and we'll work on the whip for sure. And no I don't need to be paid...I do this out of passion.