7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

DIY : How to Install Illuminated Kick Plates

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM

DIY : How to Install Illuminated Kick Plates

Thanks to Dom (2themax11) for jumping on top of these as soon as they were available and grabbing me a set, you're the man! We both have ours installed now and love them! If anyone is interested contact Matt Keevan at parts@nissanaccessories247.com for more information. Join our FB group for a special coupon code you can use for 5% off purchases.

This guide is primarily directed at the 09-11's who will need to splice into the foot wells for lighting. If you have a 2012 these plug directly in and you can download install instructions from most of the Nissan parts websites. I kept the steps easy and materials simple so anyone can do this and reverse it later if they want, however soldering is the preferred method to extend wires. Most of these instructions will also apply to Deadbolt's custom illuminated kick plates that he makes; hit him up if you want custom wording/colors.

Tools: Pliers, wire stripper/cutter, butter knife/plastic trim removal tools

Materials: 2012+ illuminated kick plates, 4 tap-in connectors (18-24 gauge), 2-4 wire screws, about 4-8 inches of any wire

Step 1. Open up the box

I hooked them up to a power supply to test; nice looking.

Step 2. Remove existing kick panels, I slid my tool under them until I hit a clip then applied upwards pressure

Step 3. Pry off trim piece directly next to it. Start by pulling it towards the chair to release inner clips, then pull upwards to pop off

Step 4. Cut off the brown plug from the kick plate wiring, trim back the plastic sheath several inches.

Step 5. Install new kick plate, it pops right on. Run the wire through the plastic rings towards the front under the dash and have it pop out from underneath

Step 6. Extend the wires for the passenger side. You can do this for the driver side as well for more slack but I didn't need to. Here you can use the wire nuts as this guide indicates, or simply solder on roughly 4" extension to both the positive and negative wires. Only strip the wires where you're planning on using the twist wire caps.

Step 7. Unscrew bulb from dash, creating slack on the OEM wires to work with. Use the tap-in connectors to splice the red wire from the kick plates to the pink wire of the floor lighting. Squeeze the tap-in connector with your pliers to smash the metal blade and connect the wires. Use the same method to splice the black wire from the kick plates into the yellow wire from the floor lighting. Do not strip wires for this, the tap-in connector is designed to work with wires still covered.

Step 8. Re-install foot well LED and tuck wiring in dash. Re-install plastic trim, take care to align wiring from kick plate as it will be slightly noticeable where it enters the car. For you creative cats I'm sure someone will find a way to run the wire more cleanly; but I wasn't too gung ho about drilling holes into my car here so ran it like so.

Step 9. Repeat on other side.

Step 10. Enjoy. They will do a slight "warm up" then turn on to full brightness when you open the door.

Last edited by Ghozt; 03-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM

Nice!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401933...-nissan-maxima
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the writeup, Ghozt! How much should I look to save for this? Definitely going on my list... maybe a sooner mod than later!

EDIT == NVM! Found the price. $125. Not bad at all!

Last edited by Shipwreck; 03-16-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 AM

Very nice write up! I gotta get some of those.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 AM

My pleasure ghozt - glad Matt contacted me as soon as these became available because we have been waiting on these for quite some time

For those of you that would like to take advantage on the discounted price (as ghozt mentioned) join our FB group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/7thgenmax

This was a super easy install and even easier for you 2012+ owners. Both ghozt and I had to do some splicing as mentioned in the DIY.

Please visit Matt's online store - he is our official vendor::

www.NissanAccessories247.com and www.MarlboroNissanParts.com

Enjoy everyone!

Last edited by 2themax11; 03-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM

Nice. Great instructions!

Is it possible to change the color?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jig9798

I'm sure if you know someone who can do custom work, sure - but not out of the box..
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jig9798

Well, someone else told me they're not LEDs that it's a different technology. I didn't pry mine apart to check but I looked around and the 370z ones appear to be LEDs so if you feel like ripping a set apart to see, you might be able to solder new LEDs on there to change the color.

http://www.the370z.com/exterior-inte...ed-change.html
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Look sick. Added to my mod list for sure
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM

Looks alright I guess.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM

I like it, it looks great!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Looks alright I guess.
Guido don't be hating brah lol... Haha
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM

Awesome DIY as always Ghozt. This needs to be on the sticky.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Not crazy about the black trim around. It would look great without it.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 AM

So awesome. I love that. I guess with the LED kit it would blend better than the stock interior lights. I'm definitely doing this. Good Write Up!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andre77
Not crazy about the black trim around. It would look great without it.
can't do much about that trim, it comes on all of the kick plates cause it's how they attach to the car and it spaces the kick plate out from the body so you have room for the circuit board. without it the kick plate wouldnt sit flat (it would see-saw in the middle) and look weird.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2themax11
Guido don't be hating brah lol... Haha
Haha..not hating..they look alright..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM

My 2013 came with them and my car is Navy blue so it looks pretty cool. I'm looking to install the interior light kit and the exterior security lighting kit on mine someday.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2013MAX4DSC
My 2013 came with them and my car is Navy blue so it looks pretty cool. I'm looking to install the interior light kit and the exterior security lighting kit on mine someday. [/FONT][/COLOR]
The exterior security lighting kit is pretty cool - I got it installed about a month ago.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Out of curiosity how much did they charge you?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2013MAX4DSC
Out of curiosity how much did they charge you?
I had paid $115 for the part and then an hour of install. Total was like 235 with tax.

If your interested - join our FB group, and reach out to Matt (parts@nissanaccessories247.com) and let him know Dom referred you so at least he can hook you up with the part and then all you would have to worry about is the install.

Ground Lighting
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Love my '09

Folks, 2 old timers know better than to sling words and misunderstand..... I cleaned it all up for you both. Don't make me send you both to your rooms without dessert....
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Thanks to Dom (2themax11) for jumping on top of these as soon as they were available and grabbing me a set, you're the man! We both have ours installed now and love them! If anyone is interested contact Matt Keevan at parts@nissanaccessories247.com for more information. Join our FB group for a special coupon code you can use for 5% off purchases.

This guide is primarily directed at the 09-11's who will need to splice into the foot wells for lighting. If you have a 2012 these plug directly in and you can download install instructions from most of the Nissan parts websites. I kept the steps easy and materials simple so anyone can do this and reverse it later if they want, however soldering is the preferred method to extend wires. Most of these instructions will also apply to Deadbolt's custom illuminated kick plates that he makes; hit him up if you want custom wording/colors.

Materials: 2012+ illuminated kick plates, 4 tap-in connectors (18-24 gauge), 2-4 wire screws, about 4-8 inches of any wire

Step 1. Open up the box

Step 2. Remove existing kick panels, I slid my tool under them until I hit a clip then applied upwards pressure

Step 3. Pry off trim piece directly next to it. Start by pulling it towards the chair to release inner clips, then pull upwards to pop off

Step 4. Cut off the brown plug from the kick plate wiring, trim back the plastic sheath several inches.

Step 5. Install new kick plate, it pops right on. Run the wire through the plastic rings towards the front under the dash and have it pop out from underneath

Step 6. Extend the wires for the passenger side. You can do this for the driver side as well for more slack but I didn't need to. Here you can use the wire nuts as this guide indicates, or simply solder on roughly 4" extension to both the positive and negative wires. Only strip the wires where you're planning on using the twist wire caps.

Step 7. Unscrew bulb from dash, creating slack on the OEM wires to work with. Use the tap-in connectors to splice the red wire from the kick plates to the pink wire of the floor lighting. Squeeze the tap-in connector with your pliers to smash the metal blade and connect the wires. Use the same method to splice the black wire from the kick plates into the yellow wire from the floor lighting. Do not strip wires for this, the tap-in connector is designed to work with wires still covered.

Step 8. Re-install foot well LED and tuck wiring in dash. Re-install plastic trim, take care to align wiring from kick plate as it will be slightly noticeable where it enters the car. For you creative cats I'm sure someone will find a way to run the wire more cleanly; but I wasn't too gung ho about drilling holes into my car here so ran it like so.

Step 10. Enjoy. They will do a slight "warm up" then turn on to full brightness when you open the door.
Loving it GHOSTZ ! Need to get me some of those ! How much do they run for ?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Folks, 2 old timers know better than to sling words and misunderstand..... I cleaned it all up for you both. Don't make me send you both to your rooms without dessert....
Were you serving New York Cheesecake or a Creme Brulee..or maybe a slice of Pecan Pie?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by migonzo02
Loving it GHOSTZ ! Need to get me some of those ! How much do they run for ?
They cost about 130 depending on shipping. Contact Matt in the info above and tell him Dom & Dan sent you he will give you the best possible price.

Or you can shop directly from the site and enter coupon code "5555" to receive discount on the site.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Were you serving New York Cheesecake or a Creme Brulee..or maybe a slice of Pecan Pie?
I'm from Florida, you'd have gotten fresh Key Lime Pie!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Ghozt, those look great, I will have to get me a set. Do they make a set for the rear.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
I'm from Florida, you'd have gotten fresh Key Lime Pie!
Oh My...Now I would of been mad. I'll be a good b oy
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by t8kover
Ghozt, those look great, I will have to get me a set. Do they make a set for the rear.
I don't think so yet, our Nissan rep said they may be coming later. Deadbolt also does custom illuminated sills you can hit him up he does all 4 + custom colors and wording
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 AM

Cool mod. Looks like it lights up pretty bright!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt

Step 1. Open up the box

Nice Ghozt, I did mine and thanks for the write up. I figured out a way to make it look flush, the kit provides you with felt tape and zip ties, lifting the weather strip up you can place the wiring under it. The wires are protected by a mesh protector and stuff so when the weather strip goes back in place it doesn't damage it and the felt tape keeps it in place. The install guide is on the Nissan 247 accessories site for the item when you view more details about it. Here's a pic of what it looks like!

DIY : How to Install Illuminated Kick Plates-image-2618592881.jpg
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Sigh............I need to stop coming here. I've spent a grand in the last month because of this site and it looks like I'll be spending more.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by pdub34
Nice Ghozt, I did mine and thanks for the write up. I figured out a way to make it look flush, the kit provides you with felt tape and zip ties, lifting the weather strip up you can place the wiring under it. The wires are protected by a mesh protector and stuff so when the weather strip goes back in place it doesn't damage it and the felt tape keeps it in place. The install guide is on the Nissan 247 accessories site for the item when you view more details about it. Here's a pic of what it looks like!

Attachment 4031
Yeah a few other people pointed that out to me too later - I appreciate it! I'll add it to the steps cause it's a simple one to clean it up.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Sigh............I need to stop coming here. I've spent a grand in the last month because of this site and it looks like I'll be spending more.
Tell me about it!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Buwahahaha! Me too, but more like over the past six months >.<!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 AM

Lets see what I've bought.

Tint - Installed
Fog light kit - Installed
5K HID - Installed
Splash Guards - On order
Factory Spoiler - On order
Ground lights - On order

Now it looks like I'll be adding the kick plates. I have a 2012 so it should be a simple install. I'll wait till next paycheck. Also I think I'll be plasti dipping my grille. The video on doing the trim looks like a winner as well. Tempted to try it.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 AM

I have a 2012 Maxima. Have emailed the link above in the first post for a quote on these illuminated kick plates. The only install instructions I see on the Nissan web site are these and nothing specific for the 2012:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/maxima_il...ting_plate.pdf

No mention of an existing connector other than removing the instrument cluster to get to the BCM. These seem to be published in 2010. Anyone have a link to the 2012 specific install instructions?

Greg
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Oops. Just found the 2012 install instrucitons:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/3951_Maxi...structions.pdf

Greg
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM

2012 Maxima, got mine done in just under an hour. The factory instructions were dead on and all the built in connectors were easy to see and access.

Last edited by gregjhonda; 05-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Any chance these newer illuminated kick plates can be installed in a 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima SE? I can't seem to find any DIY on the forum. Any help would be appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY : How to Install Illuminated Kick Plates