Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   2004 Maxima caught fire. 2012 replacing her. Time to play! (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/663527-2004-maxima-caught-fire-2012-replacing-her-time-play.html)

DocHolliday 03-24-2013 06:59 PM

2004 Maxima caught fire. 2012 replacing her. Time to play!

So my 2004 Maxima decided to catch fire and burn herself into a total loss. Everything I've read says this is real rare and it did not turn me off to the Maxima since I think she is one of the sexiest cars on the road. Cars costing twice as much don't compare in my opinion.

Anyway so I bought a used 2012 S w/26k miles to replace her. Barebones package. Now its time to upgrade. This car was used by a sales rep so the miles piled up quick. Lot of gravel roads out in Oklahoma from the looks of it so I am going to be doing a few things to prettier her up. Here is what I need:

1. Front painted bumper cover - I've seen some on Ebay, OE and painted to color code for something like $340. Wondering your opinions on this.

2. Hood has some paint chips. Need touchup paint to fix 5 or 6 chips. I found this website in another thread. Seems like a solid choice. Rear bumper cover has a couple of marks as well. Not too worried about them.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

3. HID upgrade. I upgraded my 2004 Maxima because I was sick of replacing those 9012 bulbs that cost $75 from the dealer. Even online they still cost $35 and I was replacing those damn things once a year it seemed like. I am going to get a 5K kit. Where are you guys mounting your ballasts and who do you recommend I buy from? I prefer the ballasts to be thin so I have more flexibility, but am open to suggestions.

4. Window tint - I've never tinted a car before. I have settled on 35% all the way around except the windshield. Wondering if anyone in the Chicago area (SW or south burbs) knows of a good place to go. I could use some advice here. I see cars with bubbles and just plain ****ty tint and that bothers me. I don't want that to be my car in 2 years.

5. Adding splash guards and fog lights. Wondering how practical it would be to add fogs. Since my car does not have them I have no way to turn them on since the fog switch is missing from the turn signal plastic thingy assembly. What the hell do I call that anyway? :) Also anyone recommend a certain website to buy the splash guards from?

Looks like I found my answer for the fog kit. This OEM kit comes with the combination switch for the fogs if I am reading this right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2013-Nissan-Maxima-W-Automatic-Head-Lamps-Fog-Lamp-Kit-999F1-MV000-/390531538889?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item5aed7e5fc9&vxp=mtr

Any assistance you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! I've been a member for some time now, but not always active. I'll be spending some time here over the next few months until I get her where I want her. :D

Jig9798 03-24-2013 08:30 PM

Sucks about the '04. Fires aren't very common and insurance companies can give people a hard time about them.

Hopefully you got a good deal on the 2012 because it sounds like it was beat to sh!t.

1. I'd be cautious about an eBay bumper. This is the part of the car that everyone sees.

2. Automotive touch ups is a good choice.

3. Couldn't tell you where to mount the ballasts but others have converted halogen to HID.

4. Just make sure you go to a tint shop that has a lifetime guarantee against fading and bubbling. I've got 35% all around and it looks pretty good. Not obnoxious but not subtle.

5. This might be a little more of a pain, especially if you want to control the fogs from the 'stalk'. The S model is obviously not wired. Can't help w splash guards but they should be easy to install.

DocHolliday 03-24-2013 08:37 PM

My insurance company hasn't given me any trouble at all. I should get the check in a couple days. I got a decent deal. The sales manager is a family friend and he told me that the bumper covers took some abuse, but the rest of the car is in prime condition. I trust the guys so...

As for HIDS I found this. OEM kit so the ballasts will mount perfectly to the bottom of the headlight assembly. Costs more than upgrade kits but I know it will mount and the peace of mind is worth it to me. I want to upgrade to Xenon at the same time I replace the front bumper cover since I'll have it off anyway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-OEM-04-12-Nissan-Maxima-Xenon-BALLASTS-HID-BULBS-KIT-CONTROL-UNIT-SET-/350650162869?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item51a460deb5&vxp=mtr
I guess the last thing is the tint for me. I don't know anyone who does this. I guess I'll have to start asking around.

lightonthehill 03-25-2013 05:21 PM

Here is the stickie for installation of the OEM Nissan splash guards, which are strictly for looks:

http://vqpower.com/v3/content/splash-guard-installation

If you wanted to install discreet little mud flaps that are actually functional, we have had two writeups in the stickies in recent years for doing that, but now I can't find either one. My eyes are not as good as they used to be.

DocHolliday 03-25-2013 06:33 PM

I found the thread on that. I am going to add the splashguards and mud flaps.

Ordered the OEM ballasts and bulbs today. Window tint this Thursday. Thinking I will add something new each paycheck to spread it out. Next one I want to add the spoiler. I like doing my own work, but drilling holes and then sealing it properly makes me nervous. Thinking I should have the dealer do that so it has some kind of warranty.

DocHolliday 03-26-2013 02:54 PM

So I found a local tint shop that uses 3M and they offer a lifetime warranty against fading and bubbling. They quoted me at $349 for 35% for all the windows (includes sunroof) minus the windshield. Does this seem kind of high?

MaximaDrvr 03-26-2013 02:58 PM

Going rate for that job in my area ranges from $250 to $700 depending on the quality of the tint. $350 isn't terrible.

MaximaGuido09c 03-26-2013 03:16 PM

140 for me all the windows but windshield in NY..3M Tinting Lifetime Warranty.

Amerikaner83 03-26-2013 03:47 PM

I was quoted 230 plus tax in Seattle for lifetime guarantee against fade, color and bubbles at 25%

smooth703 03-26-2013 03:51 PM

i paid 200 for my tint 30% lifetime warranty

DocHolliday 03-26-2013 04:11 PM

Hmm making me think I should shop around. Found a place that uses Llumar and they are about $40 cheaper.

Jig9798 03-26-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday (Post 8757964)
Hmm making me think I should shop around. Found a place that uses Llumar and they are about $40 cheaper.

Definitely shop around. That quoted price seems a little high. Going rate in Eastern MA is between $150 and $200.

DocHolliday 03-26-2013 04:38 PM

So far to get 35% on all windows including sunroof minus windshield I am being quoted $300+ by everyone. This is the Chicago burbs. $150 would be awesome but I just can't find it and if I do I am going to question their ability to do a good job considering how huge a gap that would be to everyone else. Hmmm.... I guess this area is just more expensive. Crap!