7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound when you push on brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Clicking sound when you push on brake

Hey guys!!

So for the last couple of days I noticed when I push on the brake, I hear a little clicking sound..fast though and it doesnt do it all the time...only when I first start it and engage in moving but after its been on,at a redlight or a stop sign, doesnt do it, all the time!

Kind of frustrating, does anyone know what it could be? I know there is a slight clicking on the shifter **** when you push on the brake but its not that.... Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM

I think you might be hearing when the brake lights turn on.
For example, next time in a safe area, press the brakes and carefully try watching for when you brake lights turn on. What you may be hearing is when electrical contact is made at the switch, or when the relay activates and turns on your brake lights.

I know my 1999 Maxima did something similar. I took comfort in it knowing my brake lights were working, and also could use it to time my braking and avoid certain scenarios.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM

I also hear that, but I think its for the gears. Ok, hear me out, whenever you press on the brake, (of course the first time) it also here the click by the gear shift area. That might be because its letting go some sort of gear so you can move the stick wherever after that. That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.

It never bother me one bit, I always look it as a new technology for maxima to keep us safe ! Instead of some person accidentally pull on the gear **** and shifting it to reverse or drive. Before that all happens, we have to press on the brakes !
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
I think you might be hearing when the brake lights turn on.
For example, next time in a safe area, press the brakes and carefully try watching for when you brake lights turn on. What you may be hearing is when electrical contact is made at the switch, or when the relay activates and turns on your brake lights.

I know my 1999 Maxima did something similar. I took comfort in it knowing my brake lights were working, and also could use it to time my braking and avoid certain scenarios.
yea i think your right, what do i have to do to fix that?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by dabishop25
Hey guys!!

So for the last couple of days I noticed when I push on the brake, I hear a little clicking sound..fast though and it doesnt do it all the time...only when I first start it and engage in moving but after its been on,at a redlight or a stop sign, doesnt do it, all the time!

Kind of frustrating, does anyone know what it could be? I know there is a slight clicking on the shifter **** when you push on the brake but its not that.... Thanks guys!
Damn, i have absolutely same prob, I hear clicking sound on front drivers side when braking less than 15km/h speed...Ill took a video, because when I was in Nissan service they "didn`t hear anything", so now I have prove...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM

That clicking sound by the shifter is the shift lock, it is enabled when your foot is not on the brake so that you don't accidentally throw your car into reverse while driving.

The click from behind/underneath the dash you hear is most likely the brake relay switching the lights on and off.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by escblads
That clicking sound by the shifter is the shift lock, it is enabled when your foot is not on the brake so that you don't accidentally throw your car into reverse while driving.

The click from behind/underneath the dash you hear is most likely the brake relay switching the lights on and off.
Yup sure is that switch for brake lights...what do I have to do to fix that? @escblads
Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dabishop25
Yup sure is that switch for brake lights...what do I have to do to fix that? @escblads
I think you might have to live with it. Nothing is at fault here, it's just the design of all relays. There is a little electromagnet that gets energized, and pulls a mechanical switch towards it's contact area to complete a circuit.

That little click is either electricity doing a small but fully contained spark inside the relay, or the contacts literally hitting each other. Either way, as I mentioned, it's completely normal.

If it really bothers you, try looking for the relay itself and maybe adding some sound insulation around it.

EDIT:
Here: This site has a pretty good image of the insides of a relay: http://www.glolab.com/relays/relays.html

Last edited by Akiyukio; 07-21-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
I think you might have to live with it. Nothing is at fault here, it's just the design of all relays. There is a little electromagnet that gets energized, and pulls a mechanical switch towards it's contact area to complete a circuit.

That little click is either electricity doing a small but fully contained spark inside the relay, or the contacts literally hitting each other. Either way, as I mentioned, it's completely normal.

If it really bothers you, try looking for the relay itself and maybe adding some sound insulation around it.

EDIT:
Here: This site has a pretty good image of the insides of a relay: http://www.glolab.com/relays/relays.html
Same thing I was thinking, just put some sound deadener around it and that may help alleviate the problem. Even if you replace the relay, there's no guarantee that the new one will be quieter.