Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   All 8th gen Max discussions go here! (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/668822-all-8th-gen-max-discussions-go-here.html)

migonzo02 07-31-2013 05:51 PM

All 8th gen Max discussions go here!

I just saw the new infiniti Q50, and was wondering if the maxima would be looking similar or even have some of the new technology that it has to offer on the Q50.

The Q50 seems very sport looking and very comfortable too. Has very good feature that the 8th GEN maxima that should have !

I'm actually considering a second car because of the Q50, but the price is up there ! Fully loaded 60,000 dollars plus !

What do you guys think ?

13Maximasv 07-31-2013 06:07 PM

Where did you get the pricing from ?

$60k is 535IX territory

migonzo02 07-31-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8831741)
Where did you get the pricing from ?

$60k is 535IX territory

I got from the infiniti dealership, a fully loaded Q50 top of the line of course is pushing 60,000

dr_2010SV 07-31-2013 07:13 PM

The Q50 is replacing the G37 and thus pricing starts out at around $36,700 for the non-hybrid RWD. The Q50 Sport prices starting at around $43,200.

trailer54 07-31-2013 07:41 PM

I'm eager to see the new Maxima! I think the Q50 looks great! But I still think our 7th gens beat in looks department!!

13Maximasv 07-31-2013 07:51 PM

I just priced up a Q50 Sport on cars direct with every option for $53,885
If you go to cars direct it gives you a link to Infiniti where you can build your own and I did it there for $53,805 but I couldn't choose some of the single options ( just groups) like I could on cars direct

STARR 07-31-2013 08:43 PM

60k seems about right with tax and interest:p

migonzo02 07-31-2013 09:07 PM

From what the dealer told me, it seems right. I was actually looking forward to it being on the road, so I can at least test drive it. I'm hoping that some of the options that they do have on the Q50 comes in the 8th GEN max.

The headlights seem nice, and different from others, also, they dropped the car more than the original G37. The good thing about the car, it comes in rear wheel, or all wheel drive.

Jam_Roc 08-01-2013 12:17 AM

Infinity should simplify their options like Acura does.

13Maximasv 08-01-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 8831832)
60k seems about right with tax and interest:p

Tax and interest are not usually included when talking price because tax can vary so much from state

Interest can be zero to 10%, maybe even more

13Maximasv 08-01-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by migonzo02 (Post 8831844)
From what the dealer told me, it seems right. I was actually looking forward to it being on the road, so I can at least test drive it. I'm hoping that some of the options that they do have on the Q50 comes in the 8th GEN max.

The headlights seem nice, and different from others, also, they dropped the car more than the original G37. The good thing about the car, it comes in rear wheel, or all wheel drive.

The G37 came in RWD or AWD also

The dealer must be thinking it will be one of those cars that sells for above sticker.

I love Infiniti's and have driven one from 1999- 2013 and would have bought another one if I had a dealer near me these days

That being said for $60K I'm driving a 535IX with 4 years of main included

migonzo02 08-01-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8832150)

The G37 came in RWD or AWD also

The dealer must be thinking it will be one of those cars that sells for above sticker.

I love Infiniti's and have driven one from 1999- 2013 and would have bought another one if I had a dealer near me these days

That being said for $60K I'm driving a 535IX with 4 years of main included

I agree with you ! But I'm hoping that the 8th GEN is similar, but of course with a better price range !

13Maximasv 08-01-2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by migonzo02 (Post 8832226)
I agree with you ! But I'm hoping that the 8th GEN is similar, but of course with a better price range !

Nissan hasn't followed Infiniti styling that close since the I series was canned

What I did notice is I can price a Q50 AWD sport HYBRID up to $60K as it has a $5K Deluxe technology package

lightonthehill 08-02-2013 01:08 PM

We need to approach this from a business viewpoint.

8th gen Maxima will NOT be in the Q50's price range. Infiniti is Nissan Corp's LUXURY brand, and their prices grow more luxurious every year.

Nissan is NOT a luxury brand, and although the 8th gen Maxima will be very well equipped, and a better deal (more bang for the buck) than the Infiniti, it will not have ALL the Q50 features, else Nissan would not only undercut their Infinity brand, but would not make a profit on the Maxima.

For some of those same reasons, the 8th gen Maxima will NOT have a noticable resemblance to the Infiniti Q50.

Neither will the 8th gen Maxima have a RWD option. That is Infiniti territory.

There are already several threads here discussing the 8th gen Maxima, Here is a post I made in one of them:

Yes, I agree with Ghozt, MONTE, etc that Nissan will probably not stray too far from the 7th gen styling that has grown more popular over time. But there will be no doubt that the 8th gen is totally new in that every body panel, etc, will be changed, even if only slightly in some cases.

Those wanting a big power boost are going to be disappointed. Manufacturers are currently desperately trying to bring fleet fuel efficiency toward the 55 MPG that will be required in just over a decade. The urgency these days is better MPG.

Those wanting AWD are probably also going to be disappointed. AWD is actually seldom of great use other than in the northern part of the country in winter. It also is more expensive to build, raises the MSRP of the car, is more expensive to repair, and sucks gas, between 2 and 4 MPG in most AWD vehicles.

What some folks may not know is that most manufacturers are rather specific about keeping the tread depth exactly the same on all four tires with AWD. Some even say if one tire is replaced, all tires should be replaced, else excessive wear will be put on the drive system. I don't need that.

I expect we may see these things on the 8th gen Maxima:

1 - Power folding outside mirrors. These will be on even the base 'S' 8th gen Maxima. No explanation necessary.

2 - Cameras. Not only backup camers, but camera that show trafic on the sides, etc. These will be on even the base 'S' 2008 Maxima.

3 - Adaptive headlights that swivel slightly as the steering wheel is turned. These should be on every 8th gen Maxima, even the base 'S'.

4 - LEDs. Most interior and exterior lighting on the 8th gen Maxima will be LEDs. This will be the case, even on the base 'S'.

5 - Engine 'stop/start' system that turns off the engine when the car stops, and restarts it as soon as the driver takes his foot off the brake. This will probably be on all versions of the 8th gen Maxima. We may have the option of turning this off.

6 - Lane centering. I think this will be either on only 'SV' level and above, or possibly only as part of the Sport or Premium Packages for the 8th gen.

7 - Collision Avoidance System. This will probably be on all levels of the 8th gen Maxima, with braking being automatic if the car senses it is getting too close to the car in front for the speeds involved.

8 - I would hope the 8th gen Maxima would install a TPMS sensor on the temporary spare, as that is a situation that most folks do not monitor, and a temporary spare with no air (they require 60 PSI) is of no use. But Nissan probably won't give us this until the 9th gen.

9 - I would hope for at least one more inch knee room for the back seating area of the 8th gen. I suspect we get it, but I will wait and see.

10 - I suspect Nissan will try some option on the 8th gen drive system that is intended to save fuel. I don't know whether it will be an engine that shuts down a few cylinders except during acceleration, or a diesel, or a turbocharged 2.5 litre or a hybrid, etc. But they are going to have to try something, with EPA requirements rising so quickly.

As info, THE DESIGN OF THE 8TH GEN MAXIMA IS PROBABLY FAIRLY FIXED BY NOW. New generations require a long lead time. I'm sure dies are currently being made that will begin producing the first sheet body parts this fall. By Thanksgiving, there should be a few disguised 8th gens being tested in places like Arizona and the California desert. Before the end of the year, we will begin seeing lots of supposed photos of 8th gen Maximas (few will be correct).

But there will be ONE photo (released in December by Nissan) that IS the 8th gen Maxima. It will probably show the front corner (headlamp area) of the 8th gen Maxima without revealing the rest of the car. By early January, someone will have an actual photo of the 8th gen Maxima, as the assembly line in Smyrna will begin producing a few of them (interleaved with lots of other Nissan vehicles moving down the line).

As all the bugs are found and fixed, the assembly line will begin producing a higher percentage of 8th gen Maximas, as Nissan begins building up the large inventory needed before setting the national release date on which dealers can sell them.

Depending on how things go, the release date may or not be the same as the 'anticipated' release date, which will be set fairly soon, if not already. This 'anticipated' date is for internal planning and scheduling only, and will not be publicized.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. It will probably be a January auto show before we see a full, clear photo of the 8th gen Maxima, and this coming spring before they begin arriving at dealers.

But it is almost time to begin feeling excitement about the 8th gen Maxima.

13Maximasv 08-02-2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 8832644)
8th gen Maxima will NOT be in the Q50's price range.

2014 Q50 base is $38,605 ( including a $1000 moonroof option and destination) so I consider this to be in the same price range as the Maxima considering it includes leather, dual power seats and backup camera standard

Currently you need an SV with a monitor package to have these options

I also don't expect the 2015 8th generation Maxima to be discounted even close to the way it is today the first year or so.

lightonthehill 08-03-2013 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8832700)
2014 Q50 base is $38,605 ( including a $1000 moonroof option and destination) so I consider this to be in the same price range as the Maxima considering it includes leather, dual power seats and backup camera standard

Currently you need an SV with a monitor package to have these options

I also don't expect the 2015 8th generation Maxima to be discounted even close to the way it is today the first year or so.

I would tend to disagree with the price range being the same for the Maxima and the Q50. The Maxima MSRP ranges from around $32K to $42K, while the Q50 MSRP should range from around $38K to somehwere near $60K. The Maxima SV with monitor package that 'matches' the base Q50 is well below $38K. Also, there are many more features available as the Maxima steps up to the Premium plus Tech package. Those many additional features are available on the Q50, but adding features to the Q50 costs more than adding them to the Maxima.

Yes, the Maxima will not be discounted very sharply the first few months, but I have found that situation changes after four or five months, and I have been able to get discounts on my Maximas around $5K to $6K within six months after the release of a new generation. By contrast, my Infiniti dealer will not offer me discounts even close to those I get from my Nissan dealer.

The result is that within one year after the release of the 8th gen Maxima, the Maxima selling prices will probably range from around $26K to $36K, while the Q50 selling prices will probably range from around $35K to around $55K. These are clearly different price categories.

And the difference only widens with the passage of time. Dealers around where I live have been advertising base Maximas for between $23,900 and $25,900 for the last four years.

Put another way, the Q50 is clearly a luxury car, even in very base form, while the Maxima is at best a 'near-luxury' vehicle.

Yet another differentiation is that mags such as Consumer Reports will NEVER consider these two cars to be in either the same class vehicle category or the same price category.

MONTE 01&97 SE 08-03-2013 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 8832904)

Yet another differentiation is that mags such as Consumer Reports will NEVER consider these two cars to be in either the same class vehicle category or the same price category.

C.R here recently has been very inconsistent on the Maxima's category. One month its an Upscale car next month its a full size car next a premium car...as a matter a fact the pubs just all of a sudden recently started calling it a full size car....lol. In no way or fashion is this car a full size car internally or its dimensions outside, its clearly in size a mid size car. All of those other cars that they call full size are clearly much larger than the Max in nearly every dimension (Taurus, 300 etc). This car has always been a "tweaner" car since the 4th gen an still remains so based on so many classifications depending on source, I still say the closest car in mission, size, handling etc is the TL fwd. :cool:

13Maximasv 08-03-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 8832904)
I would tend to disagree with the price range being the same for the Maxima and the Q50

And the difference only widens with the passage of time. Dealers around where I live have been advertising base Maximas for between $23,900 and $25,900 for the last four years.

My point was you could get into a base Q50 for not much more than a similar equipped Maxima SV

Until the 8th generation comes out nobody has any idea how it will be priced and discounted

lightonthehill 08-04-2013 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8833088)
My point was you could get into a base Q50 for not much more than a similar equipped Maxima SV

Until the 8th generation comes out nobody has any idea how it will be priced and discounted

I can't argue with that specific comparison.

And with the recession fading and the housing market back on its feet, it will be interesting to see where Nissan places 8th gen Maxima prices. They certainly will not drop below 2013 prices. We might be talking a range of $34K to $45K or so.

If the styling is very good, and if there are many additional features beyond the 7th gen, the range might be something like $35K to $46K. That would be creeping (as you had hinted) well into Q50 territory. But still worth the price for a Maxima fanatic such as me.

lightonthehill 08-04-2013 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE (Post 8833085)
C.R here recently has been very inconsistent on the Maxima's category. One month its an Upscale car next month its a full size car next a premium car...as a matter a fact the pubs just all of a sudden recently started calling it a full size car....lol. In no way or fashion is this car a full size car internally or its dimensions outside, its clearly in size a mid size car. All of those other cars that they call full size are clearly much larger than the Max in nearly every dimension (Taurus, 300 etc). This car has always been a "tweaner" car since the 4th gen an still remains so based on so many classifications depending on source, I still say the closest car in mission, size, handling etc is the TL fwd. :cool:

In my mind, this Maxima category confusion goes further than just CR. I don't think many rating services are consistent with where to categorize the Maxima. To be honest, I don't think it truly fits well into any specific category.

I agree that the FWD TL may be the closest comparison. The Hyundai Genesis may be close, but definitely does not handle as well as the Maxima and starts at a price around $6K above the base Maxima.

As 13Maximasv said, the base Q50 could be compared with an upscale version of the Maxima. But the Q50 price range is so very broad ($38K to $65K) that few would consider the Q50 to be a direct competitor of the Maxima.

Other that for a specific situation where a person trying to decide between the lower version of one vehicle and the upper version of another vehicle, it is generally not meaningful to say two vehicles with totally diffferent price ranges are 'competitors.'

For instance, the base version of the Q50 could be compared with many vehicles costing between $35K and $40K, but the $65K version of the Q50 would be compared with vehicles costing between $60K and $70K. The better comparison for the Q50 would be vehicles whose price range either covers most of the $38K to $65K range the Q50 does, or falls somewhere near the middle of the Q50 price range.

13Maximasv 08-04-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 8833251)

If the styling is very good, and if there are many additional features beyond the 7th gen, the range might be something like $35K to $46K. That would be creeping (as you had hinted) well into Q50 territory. But still worth the price for a Maxima fanatic such as me.

My car has less than 3k miles. So far I see a very soft clear coat the scratches easy, the parking brake indicator never worked, the A/C adapter in the console never worked, I have a tail light that is getting moisture, a slight interior rattle that sounds like it's behind the dash on the passenger side, the carpet on the passenger side keep popping out from under the moulding

So far the quality on this car is not matching what I have come to expect from a Maxima. Being an American union worker I hope this is not a result of building these cars in America as my dads 2002 and my brothers 2003 ( they still have them) have never had an issue as well as my previous 95, 97, 2002

STARR 08-04-2013 02:09 PM

If prices overlap and the person making the buying decision wants to compare a Maxima, G37 and a Q50, why not.

But back to the 8th Gen, Im thinking same styling but complete facelift, new interior, new Nav and app setup and a hybrid version;)

Jig9798 08-04-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 8833448)
But back to the 8th Gen, Im thinking same styling but complete facelift, new interior, new Nav and app setup and a hybrid version;)

Don't forget LED DRLs, seems like a new fad.

lightonthehill 08-04-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8833416)
My car has less than $3k miles. So far I see a very soft clear coat the scratches easy, the parking brake indicator never worked, the A/C adapter in the console never worked, I have a tail light that is getting moisture, a slight interior rattle that sounds like it's behind the dash on the passenger side, the carpet on the passenger side keep popping out from under the moulding

So far the quality on this car is not matching what I have come to expect from a Maxima. Being an American union worker I hope this is not a result of building these cars in America as my dads 2002 and my brothers 2003 ( they still have them) have never had an issue as well as my previous 95, 97, 2002

Gracious. That does not sound good. When I bought my 2004 (1st year of the first generation assembled in the U.S.), I had owned nothing but Maximas for twenty years, was used to the solid reliability, and must confess I was concerned with possible quality issues with such a major change.

As it turned out, my '04 Maxima SL and my '09 SV with Premium and Tech have been extremely reliable, and the Maxima and Avalon were the only two of the eleven large cars Consumer Reports rated in their latest issue (Sept 2013) that were above average in reliability.

Of course the very good reliability of the 7th gen Maxima means very little to those few who have had heartache with their cars. With only 3K miles, all your problems will of course be covered under warranty. But that puts a burden on you to take the car to a dealer and leave it. With a new car, that is unfair to you.

There should never be a Maxima leave Smyrna with as many problems as your car has. If I were you, I would write a letter to Nissan Corporate headquarters listing every problem you listed above. Corporate would want to know if quality checks at the assembly plant are failing to the extent they did with your car.

Based on your experience, I will be doing much more careful checking when I buy my 8th generation 2015 Maxima next spring or early summer. I will also go by a rule my uncle used to tell me - if you find one problem when buying a new car, there are probably two more you won't find until later.

I'm very sorry you have had far more than your share of trouble with your '13 Maxima. One would have thought all assembly bugs would long since have been eliminated by the fifth model year of a generation.

smarty666 08-18-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE (Post 8833085)

I have noticed this as well. The inconsistency is great, but based on the features the Maxima comes with, the price on the window sticker, and where it slots at Nissan, the Maxima's true competition is the Avalon, Taurus, Impala, Azera, and Cadenza. All are the premium flagship sedans of the mainstream division and are priced similar. The current TL is compared often to it, but I think with the next generation of TLX coming down the pike that will change.

smarty666 08-18-2013 09:54 AM

8th gen Maxima will NOT be in the Q50's price range. Infiniti is Nissan Corp's LUXURY brand, and their prices grow more luxurious every year.

Nissan is NOT a luxury brand, and although the 8th gen Maxima will be very well equipped, and a better deal (more bang for the buck) than the Infiniti, it will not have ALL the Q50 features, else Nissan would not only undercut their Infinity brand, but would not make a profit on the Maxima.

For some of those same reasons, the 8th gen Maxima will NOT have a noticable resemblance to the Infiniti Q50.

There are already several threads here discussing the 8th gen Maxima, Here is a post I made in one of them:

Yes, I agree with Ghozt, MONTE, etc that Nissan will probably not stray too far from the 7th gen styling that has grown more popular over time. But there will be no doubt that the 8th gen is totally new in that every body panel, etc, will be changed, even if only slightly in some cases.

Those wanting a big power boost are going to be disappointed. Manufacturers are currently desperately trying to bring fleet fuel efficiency toward the 55 MPG that will be required in just over a decade. The urgency these days is better MPG.

Those wanting AWD are probably also going to be disappointed. AWD is actually seldom of great use other than in the northern part of the country in winter. It also is more expensive to build, raises the MSRP of the car, is more expensive to repair, and sucks gas, between 2 and 4 MPG in most AWD vehicles.

What some folks may not know is that most manufacturers are rather specific about keeping the tread depth exactly the same on all four tires with AWD. Some even say if one tire is replaced, all tires should be replaced, else excessive wear will be put on the drive system. I don't need that.

1 - Power folding outside mirrors. These will be on even the base 'S' 8th gen Maxima. No explanation necessary.

2 - Cameras. Not only backup camers, but camera that show trafic on the sides, etc. These will be on even the base 'S' 2008 Maxima.

3 - Adaptive headlights that swivel slightly as the steering wheel is turned. These should be on every 8th gen Maxima, even the base 'S'.

4 - LEDs. Most interior and exterior lighting on the 8th gen Maxima will be LEDs. This will be the case, even on the base 'S'.

5 - Engine 'stop/start' system that turns off the engine when the car stops, and restarts it as soon as the driver takes his foot off the brake. This will probably be on all versions of the 8th gen Maxima. We may have the option of turning this off.

6 - Lane centering. I think this will be either on only 'SV' level and above, or possibly only as part of the Sport or Premium Packages for the 8th gen.

7 - Collision Avoidance System. This will probably be on all levels of the 8th gen Maxima, with braking being automatic if the car senses it is getting too close to the car in front for the speeds involved.

8 - I would hope the 8th gen Maxima would install a TPMS sensor on the temporary spare, as that is a situation that most folks do not monitor, and a temporary spare with no air (they require 60 PSI) is of no use. But Nissan probably won't give us this until the 9th gen.

9 - I would hope for at least one more inch knee room for the back seating area of the 8th gen. I suspect we get it, but I will wait and see.

10 - I suspect Nissan will try some option on the 8th gen drive system that is intended to save fuel. I don't know whether it will be an engine that shuts down a few cylinders except during acceleration, or a diesel, or a turbocharged 2.5 litre or a hybrid, etc. But they are going to have to try something, with EPA requirements rising so quickly.

As info, THE DESIGN OF THE 8TH GEN MAXIMA IS PROBABLY FAIRLY FIXED BY NOW. New generations require a long lead time. I'm sure dies are currently being made that will begin producing the first sheet body parts this fall. By Thanksgiving, there should be a few disguised 8th gens being tested in places like Arizona and the California desert. Before the end of the year, we will begin seeing lots of supposed photos of 8th gen Maximas (few will be correct).

But there will be ONE photo (released in December by Nissan) that IS the 8th gen Maxima. It will probably show the front corner (headlamp area) of the 8th gen Maxima without revealing the rest of the car. By early January, someone will have an actual photo of the 8th gen Maxima, as the assembly line in Smyrna will begin producing a few of them (interleaved with lots of other Nissan vehicles moving down the line).

As all the bugs are found and fixed, the assembly line will begin producing a higher percentage of 8th gen Maximas, as Nissan begins building up the large inventory needed before setting the national release date on which dealers can sell them.

Depending on how things go, the release date may or not be the same as the 'anticipated' release date, which will be set fairly soon, if not already. This 'anticipated' date is for internal planning and scheduling only, and will not be publicized.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. It will probably be a January auto show before we see a full, clear photo of the 8th gen Maxima, and this coming spring before they begin arriving at dealers.

Light, always a great post and I agree with you on almost everything regarding the 8G Maxima, except for AWD.

I agree they won't go RWD, as that would bring them into Infiniti too much, plus if you want that in a Nissan, go buy a 370Z. I do suspect that the price will increase to $33-34k up to $43-$44 on the window sticker for the 8th gen as well.

My problem is two fold with this.
(1) For those prices over $40k, an AWD option should be available. Other automakers (Acura, Audi, etc) offer AWD at those price points and there shouldn't be a reason why Nissan can't do the same. Yes, I've heard the argument about luxury division vs mainstream but regardless the prices on the window are sticker which is a lot of time what customers compare. A large portion of the country lives in snow filled areas, myself included, so there is a market for at least offering it as an option. I would be first in line to jump on it. Plus, I've found that anything more than 270HP in FWD set-up in winter weather is just lousy to drive. The car goes all over the road as all that HP/torque in just the front wheels is too much for the car to handle in anything related to winter weather. AWD would go along way to solve that. Offering it as a least an option, or at the very least, an option you can choose to add onto the Maxima if you choose to custom order one from Nissan would be great. Just as Acura currently does with the TL.

(2) If Nissan is able to take 5-6k after just a few months on the market, even now, I've been offered some 7-8k off the msrp of a Maxima in order to sell it, that tells me the car is way overpriced if Nissan can offer that amount off the car and still make a profit. Many people have been turned away from the Maxima when they see the +40k msrp saying, "I'm not paying that for a Nissan" and thus don't even consider the Maxima. Most of them don't even know how much below msrp the Nissan dealers will take off the car so that your not paying anywhere close to msrp. Nissan is losing many sales in this regard.

I'm actually hoping Nissan improves on these two areas for the 8th Gen to make the Maxima much more competitive in its segment and really bolster it's sales.

I really wish Nissan had brought the 8G out as a 2014 model as the sales of the Maxima have really gone down since the end of 2012.

Just my two cents :-)

smarty666 08-18-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv (Post 8833088)

I'll tell you one thing, I am not at all impressed with what Infiniti did with the Q50. Yes, the styling is different and the interior improved, but other than that it's not a big step over what the G37 was. All they've done, is added in some extra features (like heated steering wheel, parking sensors, etc), which is stuff that has been on other cars for years now.

Not only that, but they did nothing to make a more refined/fuel efficient engine in their gas models. This was shocking to me after the direction Audi and BMW have been taking with their models, which are Infiniti's biggest competitors. The price of the Q50 has skyrocketed so ridiculous now, with no improvement with fuel economy, that the Audi and BMW is the better buy. You don't even get perforated leather interior at 36-38k anymore, you have to be over 40k with another package in order to just get that. The bargain that the G37 used to be is no longer there with the Q50. If anything, Infiniti, much like Acura has lost its way.

Nissan is doing much more innovated things with their vehicles than Infiniti is currently doing.

AlDente67 08-19-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666 (Post 8840229)
Light, always a great post and I agree with you on almost everything regarding the 8G Maxima, except for AWD.

I agree they won't go RWD, as that would bring them into Infiniti too much, plus if you want that in a Nissan, go buy a 370Z. I do suspect that the price will increase to $33-34k up to $43-$44 on the window sticker for the 8th gen as well.

My problem is two fold with this.
(1) For those prices over $40k, an AWD option should be available. Other automakers (Acura, Audi, etc) offer AWD at those price points and there shouldn't be a reason why Nissan can't do the same. Yes, I've heard the argument about luxury division vs mainstream but regardless the prices on the window are sticker which is a lot of time what customers compare. A large portion of the country lives in snow filled areas, myself included, so there is a market for at least offering it as an option. I would be first in line to jump on it. Plus, I've found that anything more than 270HP in FWD set-up in winter weather is just lousy to drive. The car goes all over the road as all that HP/torque in just the front wheels is too much for the car to handle in anything related to winter weather. AWD would go along way to solve that. Offering it as a least an option, or at the very least, an option you can choose to add onto the Maxima if you choose to custom order one from Nissan would be great. Just as Acura currently does with the TL.

(2) If Nissan is able to take 5-6k after just a few months on the market, even now, I've been offered some 7-8k off the msrp of a Maxima in order to sell it, that tells me the car is way overpriced if Nissan can offer that amount off the car and still make a profit. Many people have been turned away from the Maxima when they see the +40k msrp saying, "I'm not paying that for a Nissan" and thus don't even consider the Maxima. Most of them don't even know how much below msrp the Nissan dealers will take off the car so that your not paying anywhere close to msrp. Nissan is losing many sales in this regard.

I'm actually hoping Nissan improves on these two areas for the 8th Gen to make the Maxima much more competitive in its segment and really bolster it's sales.

I really wish Nissan had brought the 8G out as a 2014 model as the sales of the Maxima have really gone down since the end of 2012.

Just my two cents :-)

I hear you, but I don't really want AWD because the number of times I would need it could be counted on 2 fingers (in NJ). Unless the winters take a turn for the worse around here, the AWD just adds costs that will never be justified. (weight, added retail cost, etc)

Now as an aside, my wife bought a '99 Millenia back in the day for around 30k. The car originally was priced in the low 40's as a flagship of the Mazda lineup. But nobody bought any, so they had a firesale.

The advertising of the Max is dismal as compared to the rest of the lineup. I wonder what that is doing to the sales figures. If Fiat can run great ads on the Abarth and 500 (just an example), why can't Nissan do the same?

Stlbluzoo11 08-19-2013 01:31 PM

That all sounds good and dandy, but I went and saw the Q50 today and happen to have the brouchore on my desk. The Q50 has an available auto leveling headlight system with swivel, not standard. The Q50 has an available delux tech package, this is a power tilt/telescopic steering column, not standard. the auto dimming mirrors and auto tilt down reverse mirrors are an option in the tech package. Distance control assist and lane departure warning is an option in this package aswell. not standard. lane centering and collision avoidance are apart of this package too. Why do you think this will all be standard in the base package? They could do this stuff standard but is only available in the sport and preimum packages for the q50. I would like to believe that the q50 would come more well equipped from the factory then a entry level Maxima. Just a thought.

lightonthehill 08-19-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stlbluzoo11 (Post 8840758)
That all sounds good and dandy, but I went and saw the Q50 today and happen to have the brouchore on my desk. The Q50 has an available auto leveling headlight system with swivel, not standard. The Q50 has an available delux tech package, this is a power tilt/telescopic steering column, not standard. the auto dimming mirrors and auto tilt down reverse mirrors are an option in the tech package. Distance control assist and lane departure warning is an option in this package aswell. not standard. lane centering and collision avoidance are apart of this package too. Why do you think this will all be standard in the base package? They could do this stuff standard but is only available in the sport and preimum packages for the q50. I would like to believe that the q50 would come more well equipped from the factory then a entry level Maxima. Just a thought.

Stlbluzoo11 - Nice thinking. I just went back and reviewed the '13 Maxima option arrangement between various Maxima levels, and after reconsideration, I think you will probably be correct that Nissan will save some of the newer goodies for upscale versions of the 8th gen Maxima, else there would be little incentive to buy the upscale versions.

The base 'S' will get a few of the newer features (to help make it 'more desirable' than the 7th generation Maxima), but the 'more expensive to produce' options will probably be staged among the more expensive versions of the Maxima.

exl_ent_v6 08-20-2013 12:39 PM

This is Nissan's 2014 Detroit Auto Show concept

looks on par to be the next Maxima... concept of course.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/n...oncept-teased/

Jam_Roc 08-20-2013 01:11 PM

Could very well be.

trailer54 08-20-2013 02:00 PM

Looks like it could be, the anticipation is killing me. Lol

Jig9798 08-20-2013 02:05 PM

Side view looks awesome ... 4 door GTR-esque.

Front ... not so much.

zoemayne 08-20-2013 02:13 PM

in about 4 months well know for sure!!! i like i like i like! like that thin cigarette look

BBmaxi 08-20-2013 02:50 PM

I like it, but nissan has a tendency to dilute the actual design from the concept.

look at the altima compared to the concept.

zoemayne 08-20-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi (Post 8841354)
I like it, but nissan has a tendency to dilute the actual design from the concept.

look at the altima compared to the concept.

Yes I agree I'm not feeling the front maybe it can grow on me but the roof is too low no headroom in the back.

dr_2010SV 08-20-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 (Post 8841241)
looks on par to be the next Maxima... concept of course.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/n...oncept-teased/

By the looks of it I would agree that it's a concept sneak at the new Maxima.
I like most of what they are showing except the Acura chrome looking front.

Shipwreck 08-20-2013 05:16 PM

I like it.

Tommy6905 08-20-2013 05:28 PM

I'm sold, ill wait til year 2 though