7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sideview Mirror Auto Reverse Feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sideview Mirror Auto Reverse Feature

I've searched all through the forums and haven't been able to find a discussion/thread about this feature. My passenger sideview mirror doesn't perform this feature when my SV is in reverse but the driver side works properly. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to get it fixed????
Old 04-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKnight11
I've searched all through the forums and haven't been able to find a discussion/thread about this feature. My passenger sideview mirror doesn't perform this feature when my SV is in reverse but the driver side works properly. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to get it fixed????
I don't have this feature but I believe the mirror switch needs to be set in the center or both won't work
Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Could be a loss of power to that motor that moves the mirror down. Do the rest of the mirror movements work correctly?
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Switch Placement

Your mirror switch has to be set to the left.....crazy but true lol. Hope that helps
Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Ironically, mine has to be either left or right. Center -no work.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:48 PM

You should all re read the OP's thread. His driver side mirror tilts down when the car shifter is placed in reverse. The passenger side mirror does not, so the OP has the mirror switch in the correct position, which is any position other than center for this feature to work. He is wondering why one mirror will tilt down and the other one won't.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 PM

The tilt mirror is known to go bad at times or may be glitched. I believe someone on the Maxima Facebook group mentioned he disconnected and reconnected the battery and it came back. I would recommend this to see if it is actually a bad motor.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

If the switch is to the right, one mirror moves. Id the switch is left, both move.
If the switch is centered, the function is off.

I may have L/R switched, but that is how it works.

OP, try a different position and report back.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 AM
RR5

MaximaDrvr is correct. If the switch is in the center, the mirrors do not tilt down on reverse. Move it to the left, only the drivers mirror tilts down. Move it to the right and both move down.

Which I find funny because in the 2011 Maxima's owner manual, 3-28 indicates if the switch is in either L-R position, both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
MaximaDrvr is correct. If the switch is in the center, the mirrors do not tilt down on reverse. Move it to the left, only the drivers mirror tilts down. Move it to the right and both move down.

Which I find funny because in the 2011 Maxima's owner manual, 3-28 indicates if the switch is in either L-R position, both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse.
Yeah, the manual also talks about the soft-touch turn signal functionality.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
If the switch is to the right, one mirror moves. Id the switch is left, both move.
If the switch is centered, the function is off.

I may have L/R switched, but that is how it works.

OP, try a different position and report back.
My 09 SV sport, center location mirror tilt function is off. Switch in either L/R the both mirrors will tilt down when gear shift is in reverse.

This is how the functionality of all this is supposed to work. You should not have to select between L or R to get that respective mirror to work. Position the switch in either L or R will tilt both mirrors simultaneously.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
My 09 SV sport, center location mirror tilt function is off. Switch in either L/R the both mirrors will tilt down when gear shift is in reverse.

This is how the functionality of all this is supposed to work. You should not have to select between L or R to get that respective mirror to work. Position the switch in either L or R will tilt both mirrors simultaneously.
You're absolutely correct Richard, because it(pass side) intermittently works as long as the switch isn't in the center position. I think it's more of the passenger mirror being connected with whatever is supposed to tilt it because I see it trying to move at times but it cant either complete the full range of motion or it just twitches.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:50 PM

I disagree.
On my 09 SV, you can choose left or right, to operate one or both depending.
Left only operates drivers side. Right operates both sides.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I disagree.
On my 09 SV, you can choose left or right, to operate one or both depending.
Left only operates drivers side. Right operates both sides.
In the manual it says as long as its either L or R it should operate both. I know mine needs something fixed behind the mirror but I'm not sure what it is and I don't want to take it to the dealer if its a easy fix but I may have to.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM

In the manual it says as long as its either L or R it should operate both. I know mine needs something fixed behind the mirror but I'm not sure what it is and I don't want to take it to the dealer if its a easy fix but I may have to.
Exactly, that is what my manual says and that is what the actual outcome is.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Exactly, that is what my manual says and that is what the actual outcome is.
Except that isn't the actual outcome.
The manual also talks about the convenience turn signal as well, remember, and that doesn't exist.

Funny that two years ago, what I am saying was common knowledge, yet now you are trying to say I'm incorrect. Have you tried it on your car?
I know for a fact what happens on my car, because I tried it.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 PM

Except that isn't the actual outcome.
The manual also talks about the convenience turn signal as well, remember, and that doesn't exist.

Funny that two years ago, what I am saying was common knowledge, yet now you are trying to say I'm incorrect. Have you tried it on your car?
I know for a fact what happens on my car, because I tried it.
Yes I tried it and either position (L/R) will tilt both down at the same time. BTW I never said your were incorrect.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by j_dubb
Yeah, the manual also talks about the soft-touch turn signal functionality.
You know how disappointing that is when it doesn't work, yet it is in the manual?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So no one knows of a fix????
Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 AM

So no one knows of a fix????
Does your manual mirror adjustments fully work the passenger side?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does your manual mirror adjustments fully work the passenger side?
Yes they work fine!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM

I have a 2010 SV, Prem/Tech and mine work like this. To the left both tilt down, in the center the tilt function is off, to the right they both tilt down.

I have found that my right mirror for some odd reason will tilt down and adjust inward fully when I have the switch to the right. When that happens the right mirror reaches its max position and makes a clicking noise.

I then have to adjust it properly so I can see whats behind me all over again. Its annoying but now its something I just live with.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I have a 2010 SV, Prem/Tech and mine work like this. To the left both tilt down, in the center the tilt function is off, to the right they both tilt down.

I have found that my right mirror for some odd reason will tilt down and adjust inward fully when I have the switch to the right. When that happens the right mirror reaches its max position and makes a clicking noise.

I then have to adjust it properly so I can see whats behind me all over again. Its annoying but now its something I just live with.
Man I just cut it off today, but I will eventually have them fix it because that feature is very useful!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig

DUDE...I am so glad you posted this. When the switch in the car is set on the right mirror, mine will tilt down in reverse and then randomly adjust itself WAY UP and RIGHT. That right mirror has a mind of its own on these cars (2010SV here). I watched it for a few days and figured out it is random, though. When I reset it to the correct position, it tilts down in R and comes back to where it was set. Seems like its the 2nd or 3rd time I go into R and the it will point itself UP and RIGHT. But once it decides it is going UP amd RIGHT, it stays there until I manually set it again. Very odd...computer glitch. If I set the swith on the L mirror, this doesnt happen.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 AM

If you hadn't got it fixed yet.. .break out the wallet. if it isn't under any kind of warranty.. it will be over 400 usd to get it replaced if that is what it involves.. Good luck
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM

I'm about 9 months out of warranty and didn't really notice it until about 3 months ago. My logic leads me to believe that possibly all 2010 SV/Premium Tech Maxima's would have this right mirror "programming glitch".

Unfortunately I didn't get mine checked so I'd have to pay for the fix. Based on me looking at the guts of Maxima mirrors in salvage yards I can safely say that the gears are more than likely plastic.

So, if you let the motor do it's thing too often, you will more than likely grind the gears down or burn out the motor. I think its a worthwhile feature but I keep mine off and rely solely on my rearview camera.