Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/686527-serpentine-belt.html)

RayFan 05-02-2015 09:35 AM

Serpentine Belt

I have an 09 Max SV. Has anyone changed their serpentine belt yet? Dealer claims mine is showing signs of cracks. Also, is there just one belt, or two? Also wondering how difficult it might be to do myself. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

MaximaDrvr 05-02-2015 10:40 AM

One belt.
I had 130k on mine and still looked good. Changed it out because I upgraded to the Stillen crank pulley and shorter belt, but probably would have gone to 200k.

How many miles do you have?

It is a tight space to work in, but belts are generally fairly simple to do.

LtLeary 05-02-2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by RayFan (Post 9043662)
I have an 09 Max SV. Has anyone changed their serpentine belt yet? Dealer claims mine is showing signs of cracks. Also, is there just one belt, or two? Also wondering how difficult it might be to do myself. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

It takes longer to take the right front tire off and remove the splash shield than it does to change the single serpentine belt. All total 20 min start to finish.

RayFan 05-07-2015 05:46 AM

Thanks. I have approx. 99k miles on my 09 Max. Just replaced original rear rotors and pads on it. I haven't actually looked at the belt myself, just going by what the dealer said when I took it there to have the CVT drain and refill, so the belt maybe ok. Guess I'll have to take a look.

LtLeary 05-07-2015 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RayFan (Post 9044770)
Thanks. I have approx. 99k miles on my 09 Max. Just replaced original rear rotors and pads on it. I haven't actually looked at the belt myself, just going by what the dealer said when I took it there to have the CVT drain and refill, so the belt maybe ok. Guess I'll have to take a look.

It is a simple task that can save you grief down the road and not very expensive. You may want to spend an extra dollar and buy a handful of bumper and fender liner clips (I always lose or destroy one every time!)
I don't know who has done your oil changes but I have seen places that remove the splash shield and don't put it back on, this allows more contaminates to get to the belt and pulleys allowing them to fail earlier. Fortunately, it isn't too expensive to replace, just an irritant to replace something that should be there!

sonomamax 05-07-2015 06:20 PM

I had my belt chgd out around 45k, but it was squeeking and driving me nutso, so when i was in for a oil chg. told them to chg it out.

13Maximasv 05-08-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RayFan (Post 9043662)

Originally Posted by RayFan (Post 9044770)

Personally I always do belts sooner than 100K and I would be surprised if it's not dry rotting after 6 plus years and 100K miles but tell the dealer you want to see the old belt when they replace it. If it's ok chances are they will change their tune rather than show you the OK looking belt they just replaced for no reason.

Your climate can also make a big difference in how fast the belts wear. I have a 2002 Max that I keep at my dads o the shore in Connecticut for when I visit, it has under 15K miles.

I had to replace the tires in 2009 as they were dry rotted bad at 10K miles and did the Serp belt in 2012 at 12K miles.........being near the beach may have made them rot faster