7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie with questions

Hi All,

Just bought a 2013 Nissan Maxima SV with 46,000 miles. Charcoal Grey. Got a couple of basic questions.

The book recommends premium gas, what do you all suggest?

Regular oil or synthetic?

My car came with one key fob but I need one for the wife. Any suggestions where to get one from? I've seen them on Ebay and Amazon but would I have to go to the dealer anyway to get it programmed?

Last question, what do you all suggest I wax the car with? I'd like to be able to use something that washes and waxes at the same time. I would also like to be able to use something that fills in the small scratches.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Only use premium otherwise you'll notice a drop gas mileage and performance.

Use synthetic but you can get away with using Dino and have no problems. I suggest using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum. It is better than anything Mobil1 has to offer cause their oils run thin which isn't good for our engines.

In regards to the keyfob I bought my second one on Amazon for about $35 and then paid my dealer $75 to program it, this price will vary though. Some dealers will try to charge you $100 for the keyfob and then another $100 to program it.

In terms of waxes you can use Meguiars products, even the what Walmart carries cause they work great!

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your car!!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ross2893

Use synthetic but you can get away with using Dino and have no problems. I suggest using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum. It is better than anything Mobil1 has to offer cause their oils run thin which isn't good for our engines.

In regards to the keyfob I bought my second one on Amazon for about $35 and then paid my dealer $75 to program it, this price will vary though. Some dealers will try to charge you $100 for the keyfob and then another $100 to program it.

In terms of waxes you can use Meguiars products, even the what Walmart carries cause they work great!

How often do you suggest getting oil changes? Every 3000 miles or can I wait longer? I'm in TN with normal driving conditions.

Will the dealer cut the key to fit your car too as well as program?
Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM

Do you have any evidence of this? I'm just curious.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
I think he is pulling your leg. I now have 299,231 miles on my 09 SV and I have only used mobil 1 5w30. Most oil analysis places (I use blackstone labs) will tell you to use whatever oil you wish (synthetic, semi or dino) as long as it meets the requirements of your car manufacturer. I change every 5000 miles but could go much longer but I would rather spend a bit more and assure myself I have a clean engine. Don't forget you need to change your air fliter frequently as well!

Oil types and durations are much discussed topic on this forum. Do a quick search and you will be amazed at the opinions and some facts that are presented. At the end of the day, it is your call. Research, including talking to folks you trust, and then follow your decision. Don't forget, technology changes over the years so advice you receive today may be moot in 20 years (but in my experience, not completely wrong.) I was one who always changed every 3000 miles until I read the manual on the Max. Even then, I split the difference and settled on 5000 mile intervals....but only because It made it easy for me to look at the odometer and easily know when it was time for the next!

Last edited by LtLeary; 08-28-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM

IMHO, I have only used regular unleaded since I bought the car a year ago. Cannot verify that this has hurt gas mileage as never used premium. I get 25mpg like clockwork in my normal commute of ~ 80 miles day.

I have also only used regular oil in everything I have ever owned for the past 40 years, done changes at 4k miles, and never had a motor issue.

This is just my experience, YMMV.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
A lot of proof that shows Mobil1 is overrated. Their oils run thin and their worse oil is the 5w30 weight. Here is an oil analysis of mobil1 vs the older pennzoil ultra
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...s/61660?page=1

Here is another link.
It's not that I don't like mobil1 but but a simple Google search will show you that mobil1 makes thin oils that sheer easily especially the 5w30 their 0w40 is great oil though!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...t&Number=24174

Pennzoil cleans better and uses a better technology for developing their oil, not a pennzoil spokesperson but I did a lot of research before running oils.

Put the Mobil1 5w30 EP in my mother and sister's car (2.5 S Altima) and within 8 months (less than 8K miles) they had burned a quart+ of oil.. (These cares are both 2010 with less than 45K miles one them each, and never had oil burning problems before). No way that oil could have lasted them 1 year/15K miles. Just switched them to Pennzoil Platinum and so far that oil has been a champ.

My review of mobil1 isn't biased, this is from my real world experience cause I've ran ultra and ultra platinum in my car for over 8K miles and never seen my dip stick below the line.

Last edited by Ross2893; 08-28-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by flu2000
How often do you suggest getting oil changes? Every 3000 miles or can I wait longer? I'm in TN with normal driving conditions.

With dunk 3K is a safe number but with synthetic 6K+ is good
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jfl330
IMHO, I have only used regular unleaded since I bought the car a year ago. Cannot verify that this has hurt gas mileage as never used premium. I get 25mpg like clockwork in my normal commute of ~ 80 miles day.

I have also only used regular oil in everything I have ever owned for the past 40 years, done changes at 4k miles, and never had a motor issue.

This is just my experience, YMMV.
With premium I average 34 consistently on my 80 mile daily commute so to what it's worth there's a reference. And yes as long as you change your oil regularly you should never have a engine problem, af least in that regards.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I think he is pulling your leg. I now have 299,231 miles on my 09 SV and I have only used mobil 1 5w30. Most oil analysis places (I use blackstone labs) will tell you to use whatever oil you wish (synthetic, semi or dino) as long as it meets the requirements of your car manufacturer. I change every 5000 miles but could go much longer but I would rather spend a bit more and assure myself I have a clean engine. Don't forget you need to change your air fliter frequently as well!

Oil types and durations are much discussed topic on this forum. Do a quick search and you will be amazed at the opinions and some facts that are presented. At the end of the day, it is your call. Research, including talking to folks you trust, and then follow your decision. Don't forget, technology changes over the years so advice you receive today may be moot in 20 years (but in my experience, not completely wrong.) I was one who always changed every 3000 miles until I read the manual on the Max. Even then, I split the difference and settled on 5000 mile intervals....but only because It made it easy for me to look at the odometer and easily know when it was time for the next!
Is that Mobil 1 synthetic or no?

299,000 miles wow! Do you use the premium gas?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Is that Mobil 1 synthetic or no? 299,000 miles wow! Do you use the premium gas?
Yes, the standard Mobile 1 Synthetic, not the high mileage, not extended wear, just Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30. I know one change was done with 0w30 but I never went back to that shop again and started doing them myself after that.

Yes, I do use either 91 or 93...primarily Sunoco, but recall I do have an 09. That was the only year of the 7th gen where premium was "REQUIRED" all the others changed to recommended. I personally would use 89 if I had a 10 or newer but, although an EE, I did not design the engine so I take their recommendations pretty seriously. I know that one of our most knowledgeable and August members " LightOnTheHill" has posted he has run all 3 types in his 09 with no deleterious effects and has mentioned on many occasions he has had very few issues with his (although he generally gets the next gen maxima as soon as they are available.) Whoever gets his old 09 will get a gem.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:08 PM

I have 138,000miles on my 09.
Synthetic Blend at the dealership every 4000-4500 miles.
I bought my car with 40k on it, from a commuter. In three years I then added near another 100k miles.

I have only had two things break or go bad on me. The memory seats do not function any more. If I press 1, the seat will always goo all the way up, forward, and seat back straight up. This stopped working at about 90k miles. My ABS control module went bad at 45k miles and was replaced under warranty.

This has been probably the most reliable car that I have owned, and if you look at the mod list in my sig, I don't leave them alone.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:01 AM

With premium I average 34 consistently on my 80 mile daily commute so to what it's worth there's a reference. And yes as long as you change your oil regularly you should never have a engine problem, af least in that regards.
You get 34mpg with a 3.5L 7th gen Maxima? I'm surprised Nissan doesn't want to buy your car back.

I will try a couple of tanks of premium just to see, but have sincere doubts.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:42 AM

Driving nicely and not speeding, I will see 25mpg, and have had 26mpg only a couple times since buying the car. I normally see 21-22mpg, and on bad weeks I see 19-20.

I calculate it at every fill up, and use mostly premium Shell gas.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM

If I keep the car 75 and under on my commute of 98% highway I consistently see 30+ and my calculations come from filling up before work and then after.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:52 AM

If I keep the car 75 and under on my commute of 98% highway I consistently see 30+ and my calculations come from filling up before work and then after.
I don't have that luxury, mine's half getting to the interstate, then half interstate at 80+.

Based on MaximaDrvr's post, I wouldn't expect much of a difference between regular and premium. At least not enough to offset the >0.40/gal differential.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jfl330
I don't have that luxury, mine's half getting to the interstate, then half interstate at 80+.

Based on MaximaDrvr's post, I wouldn't expect much of a difference between regular and premium. At least not enough to offset the >0.40/gal differential.

I tried regular for a month. I lost a consistent 3mpg.
Wasn't worth it to me.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Driving nicely and not speeding, I will see 25mpg, and have had 26mpg only a couple times since buying the car. I normally see 21-22mpg, and on bad weeks I see 19-20.

I calculate it at every fill up, and use mostly premium Shell gas.

Very close to what I get.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. What can I use on the black leather in my car?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks. What can I use on the black leather in my car?
I got this product called VLR Leather cleaner by Mother's from Walmart. Red spray bottle. But again meguiars might have something at Walmart you can use as well.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 PM

Mother's Meguire's Lexol cant go wrong.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The book recommends premium gas, what do you all suggest?
run what your wallet can afford. if you don't mind running premium, run premium. the cars have knock sensors and you'll be hard pressed to run into issues if you aren't driving the card hard and don't live in a very hot area. The car will pull some ignition timing, you'll lose a bit of power but it's up to you. If you want to really get into it you can run average miles per tank over a wide sample to get a good idea. If you'll be running the car hard running premium is a good idea.

Regular oil or synthetic?
Up to you. I tend to prefer Rotella T6, I find it and M1 0w40 are the best value. If you run Dino oils T5/Delvac 1300/Delo 400 all work fine.

Last question, what do you all suggest I wax the car with? I'd like to be able to use something that washes and waxes at the same time. I would also like to be able to use something that fills in the small scratches.
That's a loaded question everyone has their personal preferences. I tend to prefer poorboys world nattys red, it goes on and comes off easy. I like their EX-P sealant. I also just recently tried the chemical guys sealant and it works well too. My personal opinion is to find something a little more upscale than what you'll find at most autoparts stores/walmart/the common name brand stuff. The specialized stuff tends to be more forgiving of temperature and a little goes a long way with it. it's also a lot easier to apply and remove. When I see guys waxing their cars with meguiars/mothers/turtle/etc it makes me cringe because of all the extra effort they are exerting vs using Natty's or other higher quality stuff that goes on and comes off really easy/quickly. I've seen griots stuff show up at parts store counters and i've never used it because I have other high end compounds but I would definitely start there.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would recommend longer oil change intervals. I have a pamphlet from 1968 advertising the oil filters for 5000 miles or every 6 months.

Depends on the car but I would feel confident going 5000 miles on dino oil and 7500-10,000 on T6. You can do oil analysis to give you a better idea but common sense goes a long way too. If you do a lot of short trips where the car never gets hot hot then change your oil more frequently. If you do a lot of highway driving then push it out further.

I went 16,000 miles on Mobil1 5w30 in my E46 once, was fine. BMW calls for a 15,525 mile oil change interval, although for most people i think cutting that in half is a good practice.