7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Bc coilovers vs d2 vs eibach pro kit

Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bc coilovers vs d2 vs eibach pro kit

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have finally started upgrading my 2010 maxima sv. So far I've ordered a motordyne ART y pipe, stillen rsb, and stoptech slotted rotors and pads. Still waiting on all of these parts to come in.

I'm definitely interested in further improving the suspension. Currently debating between bc coilovers, d2 coilovers, or just going with the eibach pro kit. If I go the BC route, what spring rate would you recommend for a daily driver? Is the standard spring rate on the D2's okay? The only reason I'm thinking coilovers over springs is due to the fact that I already have 95k on the car and don't want to wear out the shocks and struts too soon. Also, I want to retain as much of the ride quality as I can.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Coils and retaining ride quality don't go together.
I prefer the stiffer ride of the coils, but it is definitely sports car, not cruiser.
You will want eibachs and new shocks for lower and good ride quality.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. I've read there aren't too many options for new shocks and struts, just kyb, but they tend not to work well with the eibachs. Any merit to that? What would you suggest?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Coils and retaining ride quality don't go together.
I prefer the stiffer ride of the coils, but it is definitely sports car, not cruiser.
You will want eibachs and new shocks for lower and good ride quality.
This is not true at all.

Coilovers and ride quality go to together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Tons of money is spent in R&D to give you the best ride quality while giving your car a performance feel.

Companies like BC Racing, D2, Megan, Ksport all make daily driving coilovers that are meant to give you maximum suspension quality. Going with eibach springs and struts will give you a more harsh ride. Two main reasons.

A) Whatever spring and shock combo you put on, they are not valved for that specific spring.
B) The way a coilovers works and how it adsorbs vibration is different that how a shock/spring combo works. You also don't have the ability to adjust dampening.
C) Eibach springs are lowering springs. Meaning the more you lower the car, the more stiff the ride will be and the more you will feel. While with a coilover, as you drop the car, the shock compensates and with the dampening adjustments, you can achieve the same ride quality at 2.5" as you would at 1.5"
Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 PM

My advice would be to do as maximadrvr suggested as he has had both eibachs and coils. I have eibachs on factory springs and the ride quality is very much like stock but the handling is significantly better. I would ignore the vendors comment above if you want a comfy ride.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, sent in the order for the pro kit. Can't wait to have everything installed. Will likely end up getting spacers too. I'm still running the stock 18s but on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 AM

Yes good choice i'm running Eibach also BUT with Sachs struts/shocks.. not KYB like everyone else... the ride is super! Super comfy and handling was way better than i expected.

i cant post pics directly from my phone to the app. That sucks.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JM AUTO RACING
This is not true at all.

Coilovers and ride quality go to together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Tons of money is spent in R&D to give you the best ride quality while giving your car a performance feel.
To quote you, that is not true at all. Lowering springs use progressive rate winds, and coils are all uniform rate, as I'm sure you know.
You can have decent ride quality on coils, but it will never match progressive rate springs with decently matched shocks.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Sponsor

To quote you, that is not true at all. Lowering springs use progressive rate winds, and coils are all uniform rate, as I'm sure you know.
You can have decent ride quality on coils, but it will never match progressive rate springs with decently matched shocks.
The ever famous debate. MaximaDrvr, not all lowering springs use a progressive spring rate, in fact most brands feature a split between linear and progressive in their own lines such as Eibach. I agree with you a 100% that a progressive spring rate will give you a better ride than linear springs and can come close to Coilovers when matched a to a good quality proper shock.

A linear coilover can be adjusted to be better than stock with the right setup. Shock absorption is handled very differently on a coilover vs a spring and shock as well as the lowering. Many lowering springs require you to cut bump stops in order to prevent the spring from bottoming out and give you the full potential of travel.

In a nut shell , this is my opinion and John Smith may feel a progressive coilover is better and Jane Doe might think springs and shocks are better and Mickey Mouse would rather just be on air. OP only real way to tell what's more comfortable to you is to experiment. Most people that put there two cents in are doing so by there experiences. Happy Modding.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MagikHype
Yes good choice i'm running Eibach also BUT with Sachs struts/shocks.. not KYB like everyone else... the ride is super! Super comfy and handling was way better than i expected.

i cant post pics directly from my phone to the app. That sucks.
Seems like options are limited to Sachs and Monroe, as KYB is only for the rear. I'll probably go the same route with Sachs. Did you have any issues with alignment? - Any need for a rear camber kit?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JM AUTO RACING
The ever famous debate.

In a nut shell , this is my opinion and John Smith may feel a progressive coilover is better and Jane Doe might think springs and shocks are better and Mickey Mouse would rather just be on air. OP only real way to tell what's more comfortable to you is to experiment. Most people that put there two cents in are doing so by there experiences. Happy Modding.
I am a former Mickey Mouse club member. Then I grew up.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 AM
Sponsor

I am a former Mickey Mouse club member. Then I grew up.

+1 but don't tell anyone lol
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Sachs + Eibachs = Happy