7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2010 Maximum Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 Maximum Backup Camera

Question where to begin or just bring to Nissan ?
Backup Camera is AT TIMES ,not working properly, At times it works fine others it's hit and miss I always have the lines red ,green and yellow but no view it seems it happens mostly when car is in garage and weather is humid or damp or rainy I THINK !

Other times camera view and lines are fine.

I noticed there are wires that are enclosed at top hinged area of trunk, I think wires from screen must come thru either left ( driver side ) or right ( passenger side ) ?

How to figure this out question, is it loose wire ,defective camera or a broken wire ?

How much is a new camera ? Thanks in advance , Mike
Old 06-15-2016, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried a search on this site but it doesn't work from my tablet does the search mode only work from computer ? Ty
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 AM

Did you have or perform any radio/speaker or modification work to the system? Or if you're not the original owner maybe the PO did? I ask because what you describe about the conditions you've noticed it acting up, (humid, damp or rainy) leads me to believe that the system wiring was opened up at some time and the moisture is getting into the connections.

It may be something as simple as unplugging a connector, spraying the terminals with lubricant and reconnecting them. Or you could have an exposed wire that's getting wet in the conditions you stated earlier and the dampness is causing the interference.

I don't know what an OE system costs but from my experience your problem sounds like an easy fix. I would go to a stereo install shop and have them check it out if you're not confident enough to do it yourself.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Did you have or perform any radio/speaker or modification work to the system? Or if you're not the original owner maybe the PO did? I ask because what you describe about the conditions you've noticed it acting up, (humid, damp or rainy) leads me to believe that the system wiring was opened up at some time and the moisture is getting into the connections.

It may be something as simple as unplugging a connector, spraying the terminals with lubricant and reconnecting them. Or you could have an exposed wire that's getting wet in the conditions you stated earlier and the dampness is causing the interference.

I don't know what an OE system costs but from my experience your problem sounds like an easy fix. I would go to a stereo install shop and have them check it out if you're not confident enough to do it yourself.
I am original owner don't think it has ever been opened up wire wise ! Only been to Nissan for oil changes and tire change its only got 50,000.00 miles.I have some experience with wires speakers etc,etc but which wires in back go to camera and do you have to take panels off inside trunk to get at camera and connectors. TY MIKE
Old 06-18-2016, 03:47 PM

I didn't know Nissan installed a back up camera factory? I think "Maxgig" is right in that a good aftermarket shop might be the answer.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Squiddoc
I didn't know Nissan installed a back up camera factory? I think "Maxgig" is right in that a good aftermarket shop might be the answer.
My 2010 had factory back-up camera & DVD player from the factory.

Originally Posted by reginap
Question where to begin or just bring to Nissan ?
Backup Camera is AT TIMES ,not working properly, At times it works fine others it's hit and miss I always have the lines red ,green and yellow but no view it seems it happens mostly when car is in garage and weather is humid or damp or rainy I THINK !

Other times camera view and lines are fine.

I noticed there are wires that are enclosed at top hinged area of trunk, I think wires from screen must come thru either left ( driver side ) or right ( passenger side ) ?

How to figure this out question, is it loose wire ,defective camera or a broken wire ?

How much is a new camera ? Thanks in advance , Mike
There were a couple times when my stereo or screen would not work correctly. I disconnected the battery & "reset" the radio this way. It fixed my issues every time. Your issue may be different as it comes & goes, but may be worth a shot.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:35 AM

I get the same thing on my 2014 with 6900 miles on her, I am going to the dealer, I thought it was normal! when it rains its like I can not see backing up at all