7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Static from Bose speakers with aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 05:07 AM

Static from Bose speakers with aftermarket HU

So a few months back I got a Kenwood DDX372BT headunit I was told from the "Geek Squad" was compatible with my 2012 Max SV without Nav and the Bose system. They installed it, and they were wrong. And of course it turns out it's and outdated headunit which explains the sale price but shouldn't have an effect on the issue as 2014 is still fairly recent and newer than the car. Anyway whenever the unit is on I get a constant static that is very annoying but I've been busy and haven't had time to deal with a fix until recently and didn't purchase the protection plan of course... It seems to grow slightly louder with volume increase with nothing playing. There is also occasional crackling and popping sounds usually when pushed louder. I recently added a 1200w kicker amp and Comp R sub and it hasn't seemed to change anything although I'm worried the popping may damage my sub and the other speakers in general. The rear deck subs are still on as well. When on for long periods of time the unit sometimes has crackled and made a high pitched tone and stopped playing music. A hard reset fixes it (happened on a summer road trip, couldnt replicate it since). My thought would be an impedance issue due to Bose system and dumb Best Buy using a cheap/wrong harness or maybe the unit itself is incompatible? Sorry for the rant but has anyone who has done aftermarket audio ran into similar issues and if so how were they resolved? Couldn't find an answer for this exact system on the net.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:36 AM

Sounds like they did not install Line Output Converters or they failed to ground the HU.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 PM

You're right about the line output. I made an appt. for them to check it and they installed them and for about 2 days it worked fine with no static and more clear sound and bass. However now one of the right channel(s?) crackles and goes out intermittently out of nowhere and I'm overall fed up with this. Worried it's going to damage the bose system and called at 7:15 (car audio dept. wasnt open) and left a message they need to fit me in ASAP to remove this garbage Kenwood HU and re-install factory one. I work in retail so I sympathize with what they have to deal with but they truly suck and will be reporting back if they refuse a refund on a less than year old HU that has never worked properly in my car that was promised too and with everything costs over $700 since last weeks $100 addition for the line output converters I will definately demand a total refund for. Do not recommend BB car audio for our Maxes as they obviously do not know the limitations of the Bose system and/or the correct parts needed to make it work properly. Sincere PITA and moneypit thus far for nothing.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm by far not an audio expert, but I did learn a few things with my previous '99 Maxima that also had a Bose stereo. I took it to 6 local stereo shops for repair. There was a static issue when I bought it, which I thought would be easy to fix. NOT! I finally took it to a shop that recognized that it had to be sent to Clarion in CA. Yes, the head unit was Clarion, made for Bose and not Bose, but all of the other integrating components were Bose. Many years of Maxima had those units.

Bose is a very integrated system. You can Google it and read about it and why it's so difficult to change things around or add other things with their system. I tired to find out if Nissan was still using Clarion head units in my current 2014, and was unable to locate any info on the stereo. But do Google info on Bose stereo systems and components, as there is a lot of info out there, and it's very educational.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maxx3
I'm by far not an audio expert, but I did learn a few things with my previous '99 Maxima that also had a Bose stereo. I took it to 6 local stereo shops for repair. There was a static issue when I bought it, which I thought would be easy to fix. NOT! I finally took it to a shop that recognized that it had to be sent to Clarion in CA. Yes, the head unit was Clarion, made for Bose and not Bose, but all of the other integrating components were Bose. Many years of Maxima had those units.

Bose is a very integrated system. You can Google it and read about it and why it's so difficult to change things around or add other things with their system. I tired to find out if Nissan was still using Clarion head units in my current 2014, and was unable to locate any info on the stereo. But do Google info on Bose stereo systems and components, as there is a lot of info out there, and it's very educational.
From what I recall, the speakers were made by Pioneer in my 2007 Max with Bose. You can check the HU by pulling it out. When I replaced the HU in the 2007 Max it had the mfg sticker on it from Clarion.

Interestingly enough, the replacement HU was a Clarion. It sounded 100X better. They tune the "Bose" system for you and give you very few adjustment options. The replacement Clarion had a 5 band parametric equalizer. Made all the difference in the world.

Last edited by Strontium; 01-19-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, it's really weird that we think we're getting a complete Bose system.

I'm not about to tear into my 2014 with 6K miles on it to see who made it the HU. lol.
But it does sound really nice. Much crisper than my old one.

I guess it's just like Sears Kenmore washers and dryers are really Whirlpool made for Kenmore.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Maxx3
Yes, it's really weird that we think we're getting a complete Bose system.

I'm not about to tear into my 2014 with 6K miles on it to see who made it the HU. lol.
But it does sound really nice. Much crisper than my old one.

I guess it's just like Sears Kenmore washers and dryers are really Whirlpool made for Kenmore.
Actually, I don't think BOSE ever claimed to be a manufacturer. They merely design the system (i.e. - placement of speakers, tuning, etc.).