7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Rear End Swaying Left to Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM

Car Rear End Swaying Left to Right

I have a 2013 Maxima with 62,000 miles on it. I have one year old All Season/General Rt43 Tires on Rear and brand new All Season / General Rt43 tires on front.

The car sways right to left on any pothole or unveven road surface, especially cracks in the road. The car is practically un-drivable in the rain above 45mph as the rear just moves all over the road. I have brought it in to Nissan to diagnose the problem to which they have responded saying there is abosultely nothing wrong.

The rear sways drastically in any kind of wet/icy weather and the swaying is worse when there is someone sitting in the rear.

I know a RSB has been recommended but is there anything else I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM

What you are describing is like your rear suspension just gave up or the sway bar is broken somewhere. I can't believe Nissan would say that they didn't see a problem but you need a second opinion in the worse possible way!

I guess a brake might be dragging, making it worse in wet weather, but it really seems more suspension to me.

With the rear of the car on jackstands, make sure the tires spin freely, and there is no lateral movement when you grab the tires and try to twist them left to right and top to bottom (wheel bearing)

Take a look at the sway bar and the linkages connecting it. Use a bright light to make sure nothing is broken.

And finally, if that looks good, I would definitely take it to another dealer or even a neighborhood shock shoppe for an opinion.

Your whip seems too dangerous to take any chances. Please get this checked immediately and let us know the outcome.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Totally agree with the response.

I would have checked shocks first (take them off and check the pin release) then links and bars....
Old 12-26-2016, 07:27 PM

Not to dismiss the suspension theory but I have a 2012 SV with 63xxx miles and the presumably stock goodyear RSAs. Just did front/back brake pads after feeling juddering on the pedal (they weren't all that bad, probably need new rotors but better than before) anyway, front tires are very bald, borderline failed the penny test, so in doing the brakes I rotated the bad ones to the back and visa versa. (I plan on getting at least 2 new tires within the next week because winter in NJ bound to unleash soon) Anyway, back to the story, we got our first snow a couple weeks ago and I took it out for a drive. Having less tread back tires-less weight in the rear it was fishtailing all over the place like a RWD car while maintaining frontal grip. Kinda scary. So, I would check tires. Are they fairly bad to the point where you don't want them on the front in the back? If so, I would get rid of them. I plan on getting two Michelin Xi3's.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Les7311
Totally agree with the response.

I would have checked shocks first (take them off and check the pin release) then links and bars....

Agreed.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:19 AM

Have your alignment checked. These cars are extremely sensitive to toe out in the rear.