7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Lost my keyless

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Lost my keyless

So I lost one of my keyless key the other day so I only have 1 left.

Does anyone know what my options are other than to go to the stealership? They are charging $600 to replace to new set of keyless.

Also, anyone know how to go from keyless to just the old school key? Or is this a headache to get done? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM

You can buy these remotes from Amazon and other internet sites for around $50. You will then have to have the remote programmed to your car at the dealership.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
You can buy these remotes from Amazon and other internet sites for around $50. You will then have to have the remote programmed to your car at the dealership.
I would rather have a new set and get rid of my old keys. Someone has my other key and I don't want them to have access to my car. I hope you get what I'm trying to point out.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:21 AM

The keys are programmed to the car, so during programming the lost key can (should) be erased from the car's computer.
Now a different problem is the fact that keyfob actually contains a physical key as well, and it can be used to open the car and trunk. The only way to fix that is to actually replace the door(s) and trunk's key cylinders.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
The keys are programmed to the car, so during programming the lost key can (should) be erased from the car's computer.
Now a different problem is the fact that keyfob actually contains a physical key as well, and it can be used to open the car and trunk. The only way to fix that is to actually replace the door(s) and trunk's key cylinders.
So I'm assuming Nissan is the only ones that can program the keys?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 AM

Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by manilakid3
So I'm assuming Nissan is the only ones that can program the keys?
Here you go five min search ...lets get this straight, people said he has to go to the dealer....No you don't unless like he says he wants new keys cause he's missing one. You don't need to if you want to have an extra set...order Dorman programmer and key and watch video. ^

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 03-01-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Hello!!!!
Install an alarm
End!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 AM

His point is he wants no way for someone with the lost extra key to potentially get inside the car with the metal key iteself. That means you need a new fob programmed to the car and the actual keyhole rebarreled so the only person able to get inside the vehicle after reprograming the new key is him.

I would call an automotive locksmith to do this, but buy the blank smart key yourself.
The locksmith will charge you $100 for the smart key when you can get it for at least half that price. They can rebarel your door and program it to the car for you.

If you want both keys to have the new cut for the rebarrelled door you will need to get two blank fobs rather than one. If you can live with only the one new fob having the metal key that actually works to open the door then you can roll with your existing key as well. These fobs have a rolling pin system so you could still get use out of your old smart key you still have, it jsut wont open the door becuase the metal key would be to the old barrel.

Truth be told you can still steal a push button start vehicle without the fobs present anyway, but i see his point in doing what he can to ensure that doesnt happen since he lost a set of keys.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them.