7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2011 Nissan Maxima poor fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 Nissan Maxima poor fuel consumption

Hey guys, I'm pretty concerned about the fuel consumption in my 2011 Maxima. I bought the car about a month ago and it has just under 73k miles. Since then I've had the SES light come on once and eventually disappear for the code p0101. The display screen reads an average of 19.8mpg and on the dash it reads 18.3 and jumps up to 18.5 every once in a while. I feel as If I should be getting a little over 20mpg. Any suggestions?

Last edited by MickBreezy; 05-05-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Did you get the issue fixed or just let it be because the light went out? I know some cares (not all) will store codes and not keep the light on. May want to have it read at a local Auto Parts store to be sure. It may be running rich and thus consuming more fuel. Stopping and going also if you drive the majority in City than it really puts a hurting on MPG.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The light came off by itself. I had the codes read at a Belle Tire Shop, and by the time I took it to the Nissan Dealership, the light had already been off. However I did have the ECU reprogrammed. I'd say I drive city 60% of the time. I have driven about an hour to an hour and a half on the highway and never seen the mileage read above 20mpg.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Have it read again even if the light is off. My mother had a Honda that the CEL came on then went off the next day but it still stored the code even though the light went off (her engine eventually quit, even without lights on). Next time you take it for a long highway trip reset it and see what you average then. I'm about 80% highway and I average 24 mpg but it took me a while to really master the CVT. Coasting and controlling RPMs with just the slightest ease of the accelerator. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe it was already checked a second time at the Nissan dealership.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:34 PM

If you're still looking at this, check all the intakes and filters. Mine dropped by 30% because I had a clogged air intake. A bad fuel filter will do the same.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad fuel filter or air filter?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

on the other hand, could this be a result from your driving habits?
I have an 09, 75k miles, and my average is ~19mpg... you should know this car was not meant to be a gas saver, even though that's the main purpose of the CVT, but your mpg really really suffers with city driving.

I brought up this issue back when it was brand new, I remember going back to the dealer and asking the same question, not 1k miles on the odo, and I was doing 20mpg (I was expecting mid 20's, silly me). We discussed about my driving habits, and voila, I was driving mostly city roads than highways, my commute was not long back then... Now, I have a longer commute, and yet, mpg is 19.8... likely because of traffic, yeah let's say the traffic, not all the M drive mode with downshifting hehe

This car is a beast (within its class), and surely your mpg might reflect you're enjoying its capabilities.. you'd have to drive it in D all the time, with slow acceleration, and tip toeing in the highways keeping steady speed, avoid cruise control, etc... that is if you want higher mpg... but you'll be missing all the fun this car offers.

Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM

I'm a little **** when keeping records on my vehicles. I log the odometer reading and the fuel added each time I fill up. The records for my '09 SV show a low mileage per tank of 20.1 and a high of 26.8 mpg. The overall mileage (total miles driven divided by total fuel added) is 24.23.

FYI I traded the above for a Pearl White Platinum 2017 Maxima. I only have around 4k miles on it but am averaging over 30 mpg. On one tank I got right at 34 mpg. This is with 10 more horsepower.