7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these issues potentially related to car accident?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Are these issues potentially related to car accident?

My sister got into an accident with her 2010 Maxima SV and just got the car back about a week or so ago and has been having some issues. Here are some pictures from the accident. A car changed lanes without checking blind spot and side swiped my sister's car:

Now a check engine light is on that wasn't on before, the fault code is P0153 which is P0153 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Circuit Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0153_nissan-2.html

Not only that, but on a cold start, the car turns on for about 2 seconds, has really rough idle and turns off. When you turn it back on again, it has fluctuating idle for a few minutes and it's back to normal. Video of that is here:

Could the accident have caused this or is this just from wear and tear since the car has about 130k miles?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM

If these issues weren't present prior to the accident, and now they are present immediately following, then yes they were caused by the accident. The code and rough idle are related. I would make insurance pay for the mechanical repairs needed to bring it back to functioning properly.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Is this car properly maintained? I'm asking cause of the centered wear on that tire. If the owner doesn't take care of that suspension issue than it wouldnt surprise me that there be codes. Who knows.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Its a pure speculation, but based on the damage that I see, I doubt that CEL has relation to repair. That tire also caught my eye.
Wont hurt to ask the repair shop to double check the A/F sensor harness.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 AM

I would think that the accident caused the issues she's having, as for the tire that looks like over inflation wear to me.