7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Oil leak. Car won't turn over

Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oil leak. Car won't turn over

Driving home tonight the check engine light pops on. I'm in traffic and can not pull over . Car stops and won't restart, I'm guessing as built in safety measure. Get towed to dealership. When I get home I see oil in driveway...I'm guessing I'm screwed here. But would this kind of failure be covered by 100000 warranty?

I had the oil changed this week and am at a loss as to what happened.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Who changed your oil?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Les7311
Who changed your oil?
Modern Tire, i'm not telling the dealership that yet until they tell me whats wrong exactly. I don't want them to pass the buck unfairly. I never got a knock and am hoping against hope its not blown. The car did shut itself down and im hoping it saved itself.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Well. The folk who did your oil should be held accountable and stick to your guns
Old 10-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup. Dealership called " who changed your oil recently?" Nissan called the auto shop/tire place and told them they didn't replace the old gaskets. Engine is shot. Place that did oil called me and they are going to look at car Monday to confirm damage and mistakes. He seemed to realize they probably screwed up.
They are a certified GM shop and I'd much rather have Nissan do repairs. Normally would those responsible be tasked with putting a new engine in?
Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM

Not necessarily. The shop at fault can Pay dealer to replace engine. I rather that option at least it’s reputation is more credible.

Shop also should give you rental
Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Good luck and keep us posted. It will be frankly amazing if you get any satisfaction out of this...
I've known two people who got bent by two different shops, one by Wally World and one by a shop that rhymes with Hideass, when the "mechanics" (poetic license there) failed in their tasks. One was a loose drain plug and one was from having double gaskets on the oil filter. Both resulted in the engine losing its oil and being ruined.
Neither ever saw a dime or had their cars fixed.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM

You have a dealer confirming the hiccup made by the side-Shop.

You have a strong case, and if they punk out, go get an attorney.

I don’t foresee you having any problems.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:28 PM

there is a sign in all or most repair shops and it state's you have the right too choose the repair shop of your choice!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The problem they both agreed on today was a faulty oil filer..

Now the struggle is the auto shop wants to replace the engine and asked if they can have it towed. They also didn't believe I necessarily needed a new engine, they claimed after adding oil the knock went away..
I'm insisting on the dealership doing all repairs. So we will see where it goes. I work for a large law firm and can have a lawsuit brought without coming out of my pocket.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM

great news, well not for the car but at least there is no money from you
Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM

lawsuit for...what? What's the basis for your suit? Who are you going to sue? From what you've told us, it was a faulty oil FILTER...so no negligence on anyone's part, right?
And it sounds like the car starts and runs fine? What exactly are you suing for...I mean, insofar as 'damages' are concerned? You stated earlier that you "never got a knock" but then you state the "knock went away after adding oil".
Which is it? You stated "the engine is shot" in post #5, was this the determination of the same shop that filled it with oil and now it runs fine?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by sjfrank
Yup. Dealership called " who changed your oil recently?" Nissan called the auto shop/tire place and told them they didn't replace the old gaskets. Engine is shot. Place that did oil called me and they are going to look at car Monday to confirm damage and mistakes. He seemed to realize they probably screwed up.

When do you ever have an oil "gasket" replaced during an oil change? Only thing I can think of is the gasket that comes with the Oil filter, maybe the old one got stuck, they didn't remove it, then tried to get the new filter on with too much rubber in the way.

I'm at a loss understanding what happened, what gasket did they "forget" to replace?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TableRocker
lawsuit for...what? What's the basis for your suit? Who are you going to sue? From what you've told us, it was a faulty oil FILTER...so no negligence on anyone's part, right?
And it sounds like the car starts and runs fine? What exactly are you suing for...I mean, insofar as 'damages' are concerned? You stated earlier that you "never got a knock" but then you state the "knock went away after adding oil".
Which is it? You stated "the engine is shot" in post #5, was this the determination of the same shop that filled it with oil and now it runs fine?
I would bring Modern Tire to court for not fixing what the dealership claims damages were. Their insurance pays for damages in this case. They pay the first 1k.
Your point about the engine being shot and knock going away after adding oil...That what's making me not trust the dealerships "damages". When they first called me they said it needed a new engine. After some talking they said it started on first crank after adding oil and was knocking for a few seconds and still needs a new engine. I don't think it was seized if it started right away. I asked them if there was still oil in the car but they didn't take note of this. Im starting to think damages are less then they are claiming. I trust the company who put the filter on more at this point as they are going out of their way to help me. They just don't want to spend 12k on the quoted dealership invoice. Dealership quoted a brand new engine which made me not very trusting of them seeing as I have 55k on the car. I just want peace of mind. I still have a loan on this car.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
When do you ever have an oil "gasket" replaced during an oil change? Only thing I can think of is the gasket that comes with the Oil filter, maybe the old one got stuck, they didn't remove it, then tried to get the new filter on with too much rubber in the way.

I'm at a loss understanding what happened, what gasket did they "forget" to replace?

Yes originally they thought they doubled up. But it was a defect filter. No negligence or mistakes made.

Search this Thread