Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   2010 SV won’t reverse in sub-freezing temps (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/700335-2010-sv-wonit-reverse-sub-freezing-temps.html)

RC_51 01-13-2018 04:02 AM

2010 SV won’t reverse in sub-freezing temps

Twice in 10 days now, so it’s not a “freak” occurrence.

Last week as I was leaving work (28 degrees, car had been sitting for 8 hours) I hopped in my car, cranked her up and let her warm, then disengaged the e-brake, put it in reverse and gave it some gas to back out as I do every other night. However, I didn’t budge...so I gave it more gas and still got no result. Puzzled, I hopped out to see if I had a boot on my car (not likely) or if there was anything under the car. Nothing. I then tried pumping my brakes and the e-brake...still nothing. It literally felt like my brake pads had frozen closed on the rotors, but I figured 4K rpm in reverse they would pop or release. Something was preventing my car from going backwards bc I could feel the torque, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. I couldn’t move forward bc there was a concrete barrier and a fire hydrant on the other side so I had to call a tow truck. Three hours later I’m home and my car is at the shop.

The next day I called to explain to my mechanic what had happened and they couldn’t replicate the problem. The tried to search for codes and nothing was found in the bank, so they kept it and checked it every few hours to see if it happened again. Nothing. The next day was even colder and the car performed just fine.

Tonight the SAME thing happened. I let the car warm up for a good 20 minutes in 28 degree weather, popped it in reverse and I didn’t budge. However, this time I had a foot or so that I could move forward and was able to do so. So between moving forward a few inches (to not give up all my frontal room), and flooring it in reverse, I was having the same issue. I called the tow truck, got an ETA, and while waiting I tried to figure it out. I remembered when I left my car at the shop the week before the tow truck backed the car in the parking spot bc it had to be towed by the front (the back wheels rolled fine)...so the mechanic never was able to test the car by using “reverse” without first going forward in Drive. Realizing this, I figured I could at least get the tow truck to pull me out enough and at an angle so I could put it in Drive and floor it...hopefully releasing or fixing the problem, albeit tenporarily. While waiting, I put it in Drive and drove up about 6 inches and then tossed it in reverse quickly and gave it gas...and it “popped” and I was free. I cancelled the tow truck, drove home, and then backed into my driveway so I could drive in the morning if needed. Note: reverse worked fine after I was able to move.

Has anyone experienced this? The car has been very well maintained and the only recent service was replacing a broken engine mount. I’ve got a few cold days ahead of me so I am going to run some tests on my own to see if I can pinpoint when it seizes up and when it doesn’t....and if I happen to be able to make it occur I’ll uber my mechanic over to check it out.

I hope this hasn’t happened to anyone, but I hope I am not the only one lol. It’s a major inconvenience to say the least, and the tranny is still under warranty. Thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks!

Richard66 01-13-2018 07:55 AM

How many miles on it and has the tranny ever been serviced?

Costee 01-13-2018 08:03 AM

Interesting. What came to mind is perhaps the CVT fluid temperature sensor is failing.

RC_51 01-13-2018 08:10 AM

86k miles. No transmission flush that I can recall (I’ll cross-check my records today) but the fluid is “clean” and the mechanic hasn’t advised for it yet, and if a sensor is failing wouldn’t that throw a code to illuminate the check engine light?

I’m going to give it a go in a bit to see if I can reverse. Tonight I’ll park with plenty of room fire and aft to really play with it, and it’s supposed to be in the teens.

RC_51 01-13-2018 08:53 AM

Update: No issues with reverse or drive. Granted I was on a small slope when I reversed (which I did first), that wouldn’t compare to the 4K rpm I gave it while on flat ground last night. Current outside temp is 32 degrees and it’s been 6 hours since the car was running.

TableRocker 01-14-2018 05:43 PM

Likely just the e-brake 'freezing'. Try this - don't set the emergency brake next time it gets below freezing. If no issues, then focus on brake issue, not transmission.

RC_51 01-15-2018 11:17 AM

Great idea, thanks. No issues the past few days but it’s about to get really cold. I’ve habitually used the e-brake every time I park, regardless of slope, since I was 15 so it’ll take some effort not to do it instinctively.