Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Keeps reving up Maybe tranny slipping? (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/700631-keeps-reving-up-maybe-tranny-slipping.html)

Brandon Smith 02-16-2018 07:15 PM

Keeps reving up Maybe tranny slipping?

I'e never had a Nissan or a maxima before but I've had mine a year now and when I drive down the highway I'll just be cruising and my rpms will jump about 200-400 for only a sec and then go right back down to my cruising speed. It seems to be getting worse because now it' starting go do it when I'm only cruising at 45-50mph. I' sure not many people would notice just 200rmp rev up but I have a exhaust on my car so it's pretty noticable. What do you guys thing? Is it the cvt tranny slipping?

Bificus99 02-17-2018 09:56 AM

Normal, a puff of wind or slight incline will make the rpms fluctuate. On a windy day on the hwy occasionally I'll drop it into manual mode 6 gear to keep my sanity.

dundun 02-21-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Smith (Post 9168859)
I'e never had a Nissan or a maxima before but I've had mine a year now and when I drive down the highway I'll just be cruising and my rpms will jump about 200-400 for only a sec and then go right back down to my cruising speed. It seems to be getting worse because now it' starting go do it when I'm only cruising at 45-50mph. I' sure not many people would notice just 200rmp rev up but I have a exhaust on my car so it's pretty noticable. What do you guys thing? Is it the cvt tranny slipping?

please let us know if you find out what's wrong cause mine's is doing the same thing. I can't find what the problem is.

wildcat08 02-22-2018 05:00 AM

It's just how they are. Mine does it around 72-75mph. I also use 6M to keep it from bouncing around. It's just trying to decide what ratio to use.

MaximusN8 03-07-2018 12:22 PM

Mine has been doing that since I got the car, I've had it for about a year now and on the highway while cruising at 65-70 maintaining speed my rpms jump slightly and drop jump up and drop it don't seem to affect performance but it does happen and when I see it I always question if its the CVT malfunctioning or if it's just what some of them do. I love the car but I am very insecure daily wondering not if but when this CVT is going to give out lol, I believe it's almost inevitable that most of these Maxima's are going to face the same fate at some point. Nothing like my 05 Altima it had 200k and drove smoothly and would of been alive today if it had not been totaled in a wreck.

Richard66 03-07-2018 01:09 PM

I have a 2009 with about 70000 on it and I do not experience any slippage or rpms jump when I drive at freeway speeds on level ground using cruise control or not. I would get it checked out. I see you have a 2010 model year. If you have less than 120,000 miles on it than the CVT is fully covered by Nissan for repair or replacement.

MaximusN8 03-08-2018 04:15 AM

Sometimes it does it sometimes it don't I'll probably get it checked seeing it's under warranty. Some Maxima owners have said their cars do it too and it's just how the CVT is at times. I need to get it checked for piece of mind.

10aCMike 05-02-2018 07:13 AM

Sometimes when I get heavy on the gas I get a whining sound that worriers me. I don't know if this is considered slipping in a CVT or not. The first thing I did was change the tranny fluid with confirmed OEM Nissan fluid when I bought the car at 82K. It didn't stop the sound.