7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What goes into getting it past the 200K mark?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 PM

What goes into getting it past the 200K mark?

I have 2010 Maxima SV with 115K on the clock currently... Did a 100K tune-up and it's still running strong... I thought about selling it for something newer; but, decided to keep it and continue putting miles on it for the next few years. I'm doing some upgrades to make it a bit more enjoyable while I have it.

What type of repairs should I expect along the way of getting it to 200-220k miles? CVT needing to be rebuilt? Heads? You tell me.

I put about 15K on it a year, so this would be over the next 5-6 years.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Keep it clean, use premium top tier gas, use synthetic oil, and this car will get you to 200+K miles easily with doing nothing more than the maintenance called out in the maintenance manual. You shouldn't have to rebuild anything except normal wear and tear parts ie: brakes, tires, wipers, hoses, filters, maybe some suspension parts, serpentine belt. The engine is rock solid and if the CVT is well maintained with 50K oil drain and fills you should have no problems meeting your goal.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 PM

I bought the car at 22k miles and did the first CVT oil change at 105K... If I did it before then, I've forgotten about it.

Should I be doing CVT oil changes every 50K from here on out?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:55 AM

I would. The manual calls out 60K for changes but 50K is easier to remember. Since only about a third of the oil is changed with a drain and fill, and you missed the first change at 60K, If that was my car I would do another one around 125K then every 50K thereafter.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Just hit 386,000. As Richard66 says, it is easy. Just stay on top of the maintenance and use "high quality" fluids and parts. Also, the CVT has an in-line filter. Don't forget to change that at least every other Drain and Fill. You will find the upholstery worn and the paint faded before any major issues occur with the Engine. And one more thing. Just because it has 300hp, it doesn't mean you need to use them all. Keep things easy!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 09 has 189k on it. I bought it 4 1/2 yrs ago with 80k on it. I did the CVT tranny fluid change on it at 98k miles and I do oil changes every 5k miles since I do a lot of highway driving. I got a surprise when I opened the air filter up and found a K&N unit already installed. It gets cleaned every 10k miles. 4 new struts at 130k-ish miles. Replaced the front pads at around 130k-ish miles as well along with the serpentine belt and a 3 pully bearings got replaced cause they were squeelin fairly good especially when it was cold out. Last oil change they said the brake all look really good. I drive 'like a grandma' until I need to get a heavy foot but I get 26.1 mpg for an average and I drive 33.2 miles 1 way to work 5-6 days a week so the cruise control gets a heavy workout from me and the 300 ponies it has stay in the stable till I need to set them free...lol.

I have rear bushings for about every moving suspension piece back there that's worn and making noise. And the dealership told me some front bushing is cracked pretty good...which is about a $1000 fix. They said it'll start making a popping sound when I hit the brakes as it gets worse. So far no noises from that. Engine and transmission wise tho it's not making any funny sounds or anything thank goodness cause I plan on putting another 180k miles on this car.

Hope you get to 220k miles without any major issues!

And I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing about this motor/tranny n major issues. I've heard this is easily a 300k mile motor...
Old 05-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jason1369
My 09 has 189k on it. I bought it 4 1/2 yrs ago with 80k on it. I did the CVT tranny fluid change on it at 98k miles and I do oil changes every 5k miles since I do a lot of highway driving. I got a surprise when I opened the air filter up and found a K&N unit already installed. It gets cleaned every 10k miles. 4 new struts at 130k-ish miles. Replaced the front pads at around 130k-ish miles as well along with the serpentine belt and a 3 pully bearings got replaced cause they were squeelin fairly good especially when it was cold out. Last oil change they said the brake all look really good. I drive 'like a grandma' until I need to get a heavy foot but I get 26.1 mpg for an average and I drive 33.2 miles 1 way to work 5-6 days a week so the cruise control gets a heavy workout from me and the 300 ponies it has stay in the stable till I need to set them free...lol.

I have rear bushings for about every moving suspension piece back there that's worn and making noise. And the dealership told me some front bushing is cracked pretty good...which is about a $1000 fix. They said it'll start making a popping sound when I hit the brakes as it gets worse. So far no noises from that. Engine and transmission wise tho it's not making any funny sounds or anything thank goodness cause I plan on putting another 180k miles on this car.

Hope you get to 220k miles without any major issues!

And I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing about this motor/tranny n major issues. I've heard this is easily a 300k mile motor...

I bought my 09 SV with 82K and I'm currently at 105K. I only planned on keeping it for 1 year, but I'm going to drive it a little longer. Unfortunately I had to replace the entire AC two weeks after buying it, which sucked out the equity...one of the reasons I bought it (I usually only buy Infiniti). I just hope this CVT holds up, sometime it "whines" and makes me nervous. I replaced the tranny fluid with genuine Nissan fluid as soon as I bought the car, the fluid that came out was not green, so I don't know what brand/type of fluid the previous owner put in. Cool car, just not luxurious enough with the interior. Man I miss my Infiniti M35S with the aero kit.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Man guys I love my max I like the look the drive, but I have run into two huge problems power steering went out, and my master brake cylinder went bad also. I did buy it used with a 29,000 on it, but I think the person that had it before me didn't give a #@#@# and now I am paying for it. I know it had high mileage for 2014, but I have been going through it with this car but when its all said and done I like my max, and it will be tip top by this weekend. I'm just glad that I got all the kinks out.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:45 AM

11 max with 130k miles.

Noticed 2 things

1. CVT shudder periodically when most moving from stop. Think I need to change inline filter plus Tran fluid.

2. Burning about 1/2 quart oil on 4K mike oil change.

I do all my maintenance, had the 05, and studied this car inside out.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 PM

I just went over 140k in my 2010. I change my cvt fluid every 50k miles, but I was lazy and waited until I hit 130k miles before I finally changed my serpentine belt, plugs, rear shocks and got a 4-wheel alignment. One thing I would add to your maintenance schedule would be to change your cabin filter every 12k miles. My car is driving great and I plan to drive it for as long as it remains reliable.

When I can't depend on it to drive 700 miles to my in-laws house, I'll know it's time to move on. I love the fact that it has the music box and the dvd player, things you don't find in cars nowadays. I did the dvd bypass mod a few years ago and can watch movies while driving if I like. I park by the river and eat my lunch while watching a movie some times.

Last edited by Maxgig; 05-21-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add more information