7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front under body plastic engine guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Question front under body plastic engine guard

hello,
my maxima is a 2011 sv model & I have recently had to replace the front underbody plastic piece (bolts/clips to the front lower bumper & covers the bottom of the engine) I have had to replace it twice now in less than a year due to it cracking/breaking & it seems unusual to me. I am wanting to know if any of you out there have had to do the same thing? or have had the same issue? I am able to get the piece for much less than the dealer price, but it is a hassle to have to replace it. I have had the car for about 4 years & it has just recently became an issue.... aarrrggg . looking for input or ideas.....

thanks!!!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 AM

Mine broke due to a suicidal racoon. Aftermarket piece I got from amazon was incomplete and not correct material. I said F it. If you find a good replacement let us know.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 PM

Yeah these pieces of junk are notorious for crapping out. A little cheat I came up with is covering the inside with dynamat for about $20. It provides enough strength with the sticky tar to make it a bit beefier. I would also recommend using zipties and washers on the holes that break or don't need to be removed when doing routine maintenance.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM

j8lech,
yea, I originally broke mine on the freeway (tire carcus) and the first replacement piece
was from partsgeek. that piece only lasted 4 mo. Now I am going to try a piece from an
amazon provider (cheaper as well). the dealer price is rediculous! the replacement clips
seem fine - if the piece stays intact. I am planning on doing the suggestion of using
a more beefier clip method along with trying to beef up the piece this time as well.
I find it weird that I have driven for around 3 years or so and the piece does fine and
then within a year it needs to be replaced twice!! I will try to keep this updated as i do/finish the repair....

thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Strange indeed. You constantly running up a curb anywhere on your commute? Them 10mm stock clips hold really strong and tight. That piece won't wear unless you are hitting something. No matter what material. Could be cardboard. Check your route.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 PM

I agree that they don't just break without some kind of contact or someone wolverining them during maintenance.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:06 PM

well I was able to get the second new piece back on. I used "speed clips" with the nut molded and small bolts/screws in the five holes along the front & then replaced all the "push-in" fasteners in the other hole locations. as far as the reasoning why previous pieces broke... the first one was non avoidable tire carcas on the freeway, the second time I am not sure as I do not remember specifically "hitting/running" over anything, i think the front clips broke do to "Wind resistance catching" the front lip & then just breaking the piece as i was driving.. ?? anyways I am going to see how long this works & then I may try to figure out a way to "seal" the piece against the lip of the car's lower lip portion..... ???

thanks!!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 PM

The 10mm push pin clips that come stock, holds my splash guard tight to the bumper cover. Those clips were hard to reinstall at first. I found that I was thinking they were disengaged when in fact they were still engaged. Have to yank out that middle pin until it won't move at all to allow for the squishy arms to fold in and thereby insert/exit freely in and out the hole.
Anyhow, those factory clips hold tight and right. I did almost want to change them out but found they worked best and stayed with them. They work "just so". If aftermarket splash guard not made to exact spec, then can see maybe have to change to different clips.
2 cents.