Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Who still has their 7th gen....? (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/703442-who-still-has-their-7th-gen.html)

Hurricane05 01-17-2019 07:25 AM

Who still has their 7th gen....?

Hi. I'm the original owner of a 2011. Bought new in Oct. 2010. I've hung onto the car because I still like it. Would be interesting to see how others are faring with their 7th gens. I'll start by saying that my SES light has been on for the last 3 winters. Goes off in the summers. Although Nissan has a TSB about this which recommends a reflash of the computer/software, they told me to bring it to a dealer for evaluation. I have no relationship/trust built up with a dealer, so I live with what Nissan knows is a problem. I replaced the MAF and have an emmisions test print-out from my trusted mechanic showing that emissions are fine. I'm keeping the car. Won't be another Nissan in my garage.

Richard66 01-17-2019 09:50 AM

I still have my 09 SV and have not had problems in 8 years. Had a couple of recalls done but has been extremely dependable. What codes are registered when the SES light comes on?

Hurricane05 01-17-2019 10:43 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well with the car. I am too actually. The car runs like new (75k miles). MPG is right in the average range that I read about in this forum. Drops somewhat in winter, but that's normal. The SES light is from a P0101 code. The very code that Nissan has a TSB on which suggests a reflash of the CPU. I replaced the gas cap and the MAS. The warm weather results in the SES light going away.

Richard66 01-17-2019 11:33 AM

There are a number of things that will cause P0101 and I'm sure you looked at them, however I don't think it is temperature caused (summer) because the engine compartment heats up. What kind of air filter are you using and how often it is changed? If your SES light stays on year around then I would think a computer reflash is in order, however since the light comes and goes, something else is causing the problem

LtLeary 01-17-2019 02:49 PM

Did you replace with an aftermarket or OEM gas cap? I had nothing but problems with aftermarket and like you, tended to get the codes in the cooler days (here in FL that means 40s or GASP 30s!!!!) But a little silicon lube around the gasket and I haven't had the issue in years. Like Richard66, even after 407,000 miles on my 09 SV, a VERY reliable car with very few issues and none that were what I call unreasonable.

mahanddeem 01-17-2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary (Post 9193074)
Did you replace with an aftermarket or OEM gas cap? I had nothing but problems with aftermarket and like you, tended to get the codes in the cooler days (here in FL that means 40s or GASP 30s!!!!) But a little silicon lube around the gasket and I haven't had the issue in years. Like Richard66, even after 407,000 miles on my 09 SV, a VERY reliable car with very few issues and none that were what I call unreasonable.

LtLeary what is the max RPM you launch your car at? Let's say in average conditions and car warmed up with no AC and level tarmac? Interested to see how did you manage this long life of the CVT! I know you drain and refill frequently.

2young2retire 01-17-2019 05:26 PM

Sadly, or not, my '09 Max with 100+k miles is sitting in the garage of someone else. Absolutely no issues but just wanted a new one.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....37e7bd53ec.jpg

LtLeary 01-17-2019 07:45 PM

I don't think I've been over 4k except during the break-in period. So normally, it stays around 2500 rpm in daily driving. A little lower first thing in the am. 40 mph from the house to Starbucks (1 mile) 35 mph limit from Starbucks to the first toll way (1/2 mile) and then 70 mph or so for 60 miles until I get to the town I work at and try to time the lights. So between 2K and 2.5K is pretty standard. I have had to punch it a few times during accident avoidance maneuvers over the years (I blame my years in Italy for learning the accelerator sometimes works better than the brakes) but I was too busy driving to see how high it went! It will go to 3500 often under deceleration as I use the paddles to brake on the off ramps but not much higher. Also, adhere to your maintenance plan. I set mine at every 5K for Mobil 1 oil/filter changes, and change the air filter as needed (about 3 times a year) Is it overkill to change the oil that frequently? Maybe but it still burns no oil and the tailpipes are completely carbon free. I think I posted pictures on the forum as I dropped the CVT pan around 250K to see how everything looked. https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ore-after.html

Hurricane05 01-18-2019 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66 (Post 9193056)
There are a number of things that will cause P0101 and I'm sure you looked at them, however I don't think it is temperature caused (summer) because the engine compartment heats up. What kind of air filter are you using and how often it is changed? If your SES light stays on year around then I would think a computer reflash is in order, however since the light comes and goes, something else is causing the problem

I've used Wix and Delco air filters. I change the filter once a year. Supposedly, the reflash opens up the parameters in the software so the SES isn't triggered when there really isn't anything wrong with the car. Nissan has lost a customer due to their lack of support. They know it's an issue, yet they want me to rely on the service department of a dealership to resolve this. Why not do the reflash, which they know is an issue, and see if it helps. I've provided Nissan with the results of the cars emissions scan, which shows there are no emissions issues.

Hurricane05 01-18-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary (Post 9193074)

The replacement gas cap is a new Nissan cap. I like the idea of a little lube around the seal. I'm going to give that a try and will report back.

Dude's Max 02-13-2019 09:11 PM

Hello everyone ,, i picked mine up last sept. i really love this premium sv, will keep it and get a 9th gen

TMartinLVNV 02-14-2019 09:32 AM

I bought mine (2010) new in Nov of 09. I now have 90K miles on it. I drained and filled the CVT at 60K and just did it again at 90K. I did all the regular service when I was supposed to. I do oil changes every 5K. I've had almost no problems at all. I'm hoping to go to 200K. I did the rear brakes at 70K and am still on the OE front brakes. This is the first car I have ever had to do the rear brakes before the fronts.

My struts are just starting to show signs of leaking but they still work fine. My trunk release button works inconsistently and sometimes I have to push the dash button inside to get it to open. Meh, I'll live with it unless someone knows of an easy fix.

I drive it pretty easy but I do enjoy the occasional WOT getting onto the highway.

Terry in Las Vegas

mahanddeem 02-15-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV (Post 9195180)
I drained and filled the CVT at 60K and just did it again at 90K.

Ever changed the external filter?

Bificus99 02-15-2019 12:00 PM

Still driving my 12, just had the tune up done at the dealer at 110K miles.

Pedro123 02-15-2019 02:56 PM

Still going strong

Still have my 09 STS. 141k's on the clock and goes like new. It's my second Maxima and 4th Nissan in a row. Not looking forward to replacing it as they no longer sell the Maxima/Altima here in Oz. Although I did drive an Xtrail the other day and it wasn't too bad.

BronxSleeperMax187 02-15-2019 04:38 PM

Got mines for a year and a half almost......180k, put like 13k on it since getting it...been good. Did pads, added refrigerant, changed tires,oil,air filter, added some coolant but scared to mess with CVT fluid though lol. I don't beat on it only once in a blue might see what its got lol....but scared to kill the CVT......so I treat it good.

SBCMAX14 03-03-2019 07:50 PM

Still got my 2014 SV only 49,300 miles
yep, not a daily

rudals1281 03-05-2019 08:04 AM

I still have my 2010 Maxima SV that I bought as new. It has about 97k miles on it. I love driving this machine. So much hate on the CVT but I've yet to figure out why. Speaking of, can anyone recommend a good CVT fluid?

Bificus99 03-05-2019 01:07 PM

Nissan OEM CVT Fiuid NS1 I believe.

mahanddeem 03-05-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99 (Post 9196859)
Nissan OEM CVT Fiuid NS1 I believe.

The correct fluid is NS2.

Bificus99 03-06-2019 06:40 AM

Thanks!

Richard66 03-06-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by rudals1281 (Post 9196811)
I still have my 2010 Maxima SV that I bought as new. It has about 97k miles on it. I love driving this machine. So much hate on the CVT but I've yet to figure out why. Speaking of, can anyone recommend a good CVT fluid?

Anything other than NS-2 (OEM) to save a few bucks, it will be a crap shoot whether you will kill your CVT.

PUPPET16 07-06-2023 07:13 PM

Love my maxima 175k miles going strong

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....4aaf64e392.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....a654d4ed9a.jpg

bwicklund 09-18-2023 07:07 AM

2014 Running strong

Nine years later it still feels like I'm driving a new car. Just replaced the serpentine belt, transmission fluid, and brake fluid to ready it for another 6 years or so.

smeegle 09-25-2023 07:45 AM

Still have my 09 Maxima bought new. It has just under 267000km's (166K miles). At the 250,000 km mile mark, I sent samples of both the Engine and CVT oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis and the reports for both came back with good results. The "Nice Engine!" comment summed it up pretty nicely for me and the results for the CVT were very good as well. The car still runs like new. Since retiring, I drive it a lot less, but I still plan to reach 500k km's. But I'm curious to know how everyone else's Maxima is holding up against rust. I live in Ontario, Canada, so we're exposed to a lot of road salt during winter. I had it oil sprayed before taking possession of it and even after taking possession, I remove the rear wheel well liners and sprayed the entire wheel wells as well. Applied a lot of Rust-Check around the wheel well seam (where the wheel well, meets the side quarter panel) as I know Maxima's are prone to rusting there too (my brother owned a 2002 Maxima). Whenever I'm driving and see another Maxima I try to look at their rear wheels wells to see if they have rust there too. I see a lot of it, some looks just starting some worse. I sprayed the car every year and despite that, still got some rust. Then I noticed some some bubble rust over the driver door window frame, it was rusting from the inside out. I went to clean it and as soon as I touched it, it poked a hole right through, completely rusted on the inside. After cleaning it as much as I could, I'm left with a 3" long hole. I sprayed Rustic in the hole in all directions, then filled it with spray foam for the interim, the went looking for a replacement door which I finally replaced earlier this summer. I noticed the the window frame rails/tracks inside the door were also completely rusted and it was just a matter of time the glass would fall out of the tracks. So that got me worried, and I removed the door panels on the other 3 doors for inspection, The rear doors looked good, the right front door had some surface rust, not a lot, so I took the opportunity to spray Rust check all over the interior before putting the panels back. There was an awful lot of rust forming under the driver side mirror as well, the foam seal seemed to hold water, so it's always wet under there. I dried the foam seal then sprayed a good coat of Rust Check over it, as well as the door where the mirror mounts.

This is a pic of the original door frame rail.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....6d553faa7e.jpg

This was the driver door window frame just above the mirror.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....8d2e6a8a56.jpg

Behind the mirror of the old door.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....cecf8a94a9.jpg

I applied Rust-Check on the replacement door before re-installing the mirror.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....236b090e6a.jpg

And coated the insides off all the doors. Front right door sample.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....d2ede52816.jpg

Anyone else having challenges with rust?

Bificus99 09-25-2023 11:08 AM

Whoa, glad I live in the south! Mine has 180K miles and its hanging in there. CVT probably in the future and an ticking sound coming from the top end.

Maxgig 09-25-2023 12:04 PM

I park in a garage and luckily I don't have any rust or should I say minimal rust. My 2010 Maxima is my daily driver unless I need to drive the RAM. I'm currently at 194k miles and have no engine or CVT concerns although I do have the occasional check engine light for the P0455 Evaporative Emission which I just turn off and drive until it comes back on in a month or two.

LtLeary 09-25-2023 12:57 PM

I had some rust on the top rim of the trunk that i had taken care of a couple of years ago, but unless you live right on the coast here in Fl, rust isnt a big issue. 474,350 miles today. Really slacked on my driving during covid and now only driving to the office 3x week.. Still going strong!