8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Nissan has alot of work to do because the current generation is a bit behind in alot of ways. You have the new Impala,the Chrysler300C, Then the Malibu,the Accord. These cars are doing terrific in terms of MPG numbers. They are also a bit larger offer more technology a bit more for the money. So right now your going to see alot of people in the market for a Maxima take a gander at those types of cars.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I dont think it will be RWD. Because nearly all of the manu's are going w 4 cylinders. BMW 3 has a 4 cyl altima has a 4 CYL. So they'll probably have a 4cyl and a V6. I dont think they can get away with having one 4CYL turbo engine for the entire lineup. IDK about 310+ HP FWD. Plus if you're paying this much for a maxima who really wants a 4 cyl...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the Maxima/Altima relationship can kind of be compared to the Seville/Deville relationship throughout the years. The ’76 Seville became the flagship sedan of Cadillac, even though it was immensely smaller than the ’76 Deville and still smaller than the downsized ’77 Deville. For a number of generations, the Seville walked the line of being the flagship price-wise but much smaller than the Deville and even the RWD Brougham. Then the ’92 Seville came out. For its time, there couldn’t have been a better product at a better time. But it went downhill from there and the last STS, while trying to reshuffle its place in the brand, got lost.

Look at the ’82 Lincoln Continental…more expensive than a Town Car, but smaller…continued for a couple more generations until it too was tossed aside as well. The ’82 Conti was, without a doubt, the spiritual successor to the Versailles. And Lincoln didn’t sell too many Versailles.

I think the Maxima has been in this same spot as the others mentioned since the 2002 Altima and by no fault of its own. The Stanza/Altima was always there…Nissan just chose to supersize the Altima and forced the Maxima to walk that line of being more expensive and sometimes smaller. Not a good place to be and I don’t think this can be sustained for more than one or two more generations unless the new Maxima becomes the next ’92 Seville.

As much as I don’t like Toyota, I think they nailed the product placement and relationship of the Camry/Avalon. The new Avalon makes the point all the more vivid…nice interior! Nissan should have moved the Altima down a bit size-wise to being just big enough (like the Camry) instead of being roomy. But as it is, the next Maxima will probably be an Avalon-sized FWD sedan when really it should be a stretched G.

Things certainly have changed over time though. The original Accord was about the same size as a current Civic. A U11 Maxima was about the same size as the last Sentra. Some things have stayed the same though. German sedans have always come in S, M and L with corresponding price tags…no “creative”product placement, no BS. And all of those are still around.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by delerium75
I think the Maxima/Altima relationship can kind of be compared to the Seville/Deville relationship throughout the years. The ’76 Seville became the flagship sedan of Cadillac, even though it was immensely smaller than the ’76 Deville and still smaller than the downsized ’77 Deville. For a number of generations, the Seville walked the line of being the flagship price-wise but much smaller than the Deville and even the RWD Brougham. Then the ’92 Seville came out. For its time, there couldn’t have been a better product at a better time. But it went downhill from there and the last STS, while trying to reshuffle its place in the brand, got lost.

Look at the ’82 Lincoln Continental…more expensive than a Town Car, but smaller…continued for a couple more generations until it too was tossed aside as well. The ’82 Conti was, without a doubt, the spiritual successor to the Versailles. And Lincoln didn’t sell too many Versailles.

I think the Maxima has been in this same spot as the others mentioned since the 2002 Altima and by no fault of its own. The Stanza/Altima was always there…Nissan just chose to supersize the Altima and forced the Maxima to walk that line of being more expensive and sometimes smaller. Not a good place to be and I don’t think this can be sustained for more than one or two more generations unless the new Maxima becomes the next ’92 Seville.

As much as I don’t like Toyota, I think they nailed the product placement and relationship of the Camry/Avalon. The new Avalon makes the point all the more vivid…nice interior! Nissan should have moved the Altima down a bit size-wise to being just big enough (like the Camry) instead of being roomy. But as it is, the next Maxima will probably be an Avalon-sized FWD sedan when really it should be a stretched G.

Things certainly have changed over time though. The original Accord was about the same size as a current Civic. A U11 Maxima was about the same size as the last Sentra. Some things have stayed the same though. German sedans have always come in S, M and L with corresponding price tags…no “creative”product placement, no BS. And all of those are still around.
You nailed it with those examples bro. I don't care if the Maxima becomes boat-sized again! It should just be more sportier, luxurious, and more powerful than the Altima. Being that most Infiniti technology has trickled down to the Altima, it's only right that we expect Nissan to pull every trick from their sleeve with the next Maxima. At least they've already got it with the prestige part (manufacturing 5 Altimas to 1 Maxima). I personally think the only reason the Maxima is surviving is because of its clientele loyalty. Nissan has one more chance to make this happen or else we could actually see the demise of the Maxima.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I actually work for Nissan North America and last month they revealed the 2016 Nissan Maxima at a regional meeting I attended. First off let me just say it is definitely worth the wait! At first glance, it looks like a GTR and the 2013 Altima had a love child. It has the rear end of the current Altima (more so the tail lights but more exaggerated) and larger exhaust pipes that are engraved into the bumper. It has the front end of the GT-R mixed in with the Nissan Friend-Me concept car (that's the best explanation). On the back pillars there are cuts that make the pillars look disconnected near the back of the window (hard to explain until you actually see it). It looks really edgy and definitely different styling direction from any competitors in that segment. It will be offered with an AWD option and be 300+ HP. Also, there will be different engine noise options that you can choose from. Its currently slated for a Spring 2015 wholesale release.

Last edited by nissan's finest; 06-17-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM

Want to call Troll so bad... lol

But it sounds about right.. That is what nissan should do to make the Max flagship again and set it apart from the Altima.

Last edited by incubus0111; 06-16-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by incubus0111
Want to call Troll so bad... lol

But it sounds about right.. That is what nissan should do to make the Max flagship again and set it apart from the Altima.
You can call troll all you want I do work for the company, and the Maxima is not the only product they revealed. Also saw the upcoming Titan, Frontier, Murano, and Rogue. But regardless when it does release all of what I stated above will be confirmed...
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 AM

So when is the public unavailing? spring 2015 is not that far off.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by incubus0111
So when is the public unavailing? spring 2015 is not that far off.
Now that information wasn't provided, but given our history of launching vehicles I would say Detroit Auto Show sometime in January. Wouldn't be LA Auto Show because it doesn't receive as much coverage as Detroit. With the Maxima they are trying to shock the consumer along with the new Murano as well as far as the design is concerned. My first position with the company was in distribution and logistics (production forecasting, dealer allocations, etc) and trust me the wholesale release dates constantly are fluctuating due to supplier contraints or development issues at the plants so it very well could be pushed off to a summer 2015 release as Model Year 2016.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the intel, Finest. 2015 is great timing for me. This one will be paid off and I'll be in the market for a new one.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by T200
Thanks for the intel, Finest. 2015 is great timing for me. This one will be paid off and I'll be in the market for a new one.
No problem! That's good, I'm currently leasing a 2013 Maxima SV with Sport Package and Tech in Crimson Black through the company, but I plan on leasing the next generation as soon as we are able to order them!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by nissan's finest
I actually work for Nissan North America and last month they revealed the 2016 Nissan Maxima at a regional meeting I attended. First off let me just say it is definitely worth the wait! At first glance, it looks like an a GTR and the 2013 Altima had a love child. Has the rear end of the current Altima, but more sporty an the front end of the GT-R mixed in with the Nissan Friend-me concept car. In the back pillars there are cuts that make the pillars look disconnected by the back windows (hard to explain until you actually see it). It looks really edgy and definitely different styling direction from any competitors in that segment. It will offer an AWD option and be 300+ HP. Also, there will be different engine noise options that you can choose from. Its currently slated for a Spring 2015 wholesale release.
Please tell me it won't have the same C-Pillar styling as the current Altima!! And does the back look EXACTLY like the Altima or is it easily distinguishable?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
Please tell me it won't have the same C-Pillar styling as the current Altima!! And does the back look EXACTLY like the Altima or is it easily distinguishable?
It will have the general C-Pillar styling of the current Altima, but it is more distinguishable on the front end because it looks nothing like an Altima. It looks like a GT-R and the Friend-Me concept mixed together from the front end. The back does pull from the Altima because of the tail lights, but the Maxima's are more exaggerated because of how they swoop up the side of the car and their angular sharpness. Also, the exhaust pipes are significantly larger than the Altima (about the diameter of the current generation) and they are engraved into the lower bumber.

Last edited by nissan's finest; 06-17-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 PM

...interesting...

2016 model eh? That'd make the 7th gen a long generation, running from 2009-2015 MY. 7 years is a LONG time for one vehicle generation.

you say AWD option...nice. What about Transmissions? CVT exclusively?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
...interesting...

2016 model eh? That'd make the 7th gen a long generation, running from 2009-2015 MY. 7 years is a LONG time for one vehicle generation.

Yes, 2016 is the model year. CVT will be the standard and only transmission option. Nissan is heavily invested into CVT technology so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought the same exact thing to myself because the general Nissan redesign time frame is usually 5-6 years. You do have to take into account that the Nissan Armada and the Nissan Titan are still in their first generation which is running almost a decade strong (9 years) although there were several issues as to why it wasn't redesigned on the normal cycle.

With the 7th generation getting long in the tooth the options and visual cues are going to get a little more diversified with next coming model years left in the generation. In model year 2014 you will see the return of some old options such as the Limited Edition package and there will be more standard equipment such as HID headlights across the SV trim.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM

It will have the general C-Pillar styling of the current Altima, but it is more distinguishable on the front end because it looks nothing like an Altima. It looks like a GT-R and the Friend-Me concept mixed together from the front end. The back does pull from the Altima because of the tail lights, but the Maxima's are more exaggerated because of how they swoop up the side of the car and their angular sharpness. Also, the exhaust pipes are significantly larger than the Altima (about the diameter of the current generation) and they are engraved into the lower bumber.
Thank you for the clear description. I really think it's going to look like Nissan's Ellure concept.

Even though it seems as though the design will be great, I'm still anxious of whether Nissan will equip it with the tech it needs to become justifiable in the market, instead of just playing catch up.

Last edited by dauntlessmax; 06-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
Thank you for the clear description. I really think it's going to look like Nissan's Ellure concept.

Even though it seems as though the design will be great, I'm still anxious of whether Nissan will equip it with the tech it needs to become justifiable in the market, instead of just playing catch up.
The Ellure concept is a good example of what the new Maxima will look like (especially the tail lights). The Altima pulled heavily from this concept as well. With the Maxima its really the front end that will truly set it apart from the Altima visually. I'm not privy to what technologies will be implemented into the new generation, but I am going to take a wild guess and say lane departure warning system, around view monitor, and larger navigation screen (at least 8 inches from what I could tell).
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM

oh yeah...which motor? sticking with the 3.5 or going larger displacement?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man that thing looks awesome.

As to the concern with justifiable tech, here's quick a look at 2 Maxima competitors;

Acura RLX, direct injected 3.5 SOHC VTEC V6, 310 HP, 272 TQ. rear wheel steering. LED headlights. Curb weight just 50 or so pounds shy of 4000 lbs.

Toyota Avalon/Lexus ES350, 3.5 V6 "Regular" fuel injection. 268 HP , 248 TQ around 3500 lbs.

New Maxima? 300 HP. AWD, Nissans have always been good at keeping weight down.....so guesstimate 3600 to 3700 lbs to account for heavier AWD drivetrain. The VQ, with its beefy low end TQ from the venerable DOHC V6 can probably make the 300 hp with "regular" fuel injectors as opposed to direct injection, so Nissan may stick with that to save the bottom line. Besides, the Maxima must be good, but it must also bow down to the Skyline GTR

Just looking at those number yous can see that the Maxima will probably still significantly outperform its competition. The Acura RLX gets all the bells and whistles....and 4000 lbs. It's speculation, of course, but just follow Nissan's history and you see that it makes sense.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Nissan's Finest, aren't there rules about what you are/aren't supposed to divulge? I would think you're taking a bit of a risk with the info you're freely giving.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Serpent
Nissan's Finest, aren't there rules about what you are/aren't supposed to divulge? I would think you're taking a bit of a risk with the info you're freely giving.
All I am doing is describing what I saw. I didn't have to sign a waiver stating I would never speak of what they showed us. It's not like I posted a picture or anything. You have to use your imagination at best to envision what it looks like before its officially revealed.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 AM

...interesting...

I'm with you Amerikaner, 7 Years is AWFUL LONG for a Nissan product that just had a barely noticeable facelift. Granted, BMW's have 7 year model cycles but they always have new engines & transmissions introduced during the model's life cycle as well as continuous technology upgrades year-to-year and a decent mid-life facelift. I don't feel that the current gen Maxima has changed all that much from model year to model year.

I was actually hoping the Max would be redesigned for the 2014 MY or the 2015 MY at the latest. IMHO, to push the current gen Maxima two more model years without a styling change (i.e. a real facelift) or an engine/trans upgrade could make it completely insignificant in the market in short order.

Brand loyalty will only last so long when your product is already placing last in comparison articles 2-3 years before a redesign.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Next Gen Maxima Wish & Prayer

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
All you gotta do is take this right here stretch it and put 4 doors on it give it a 7spd automatic/manual option. 310HP And you got a Hot Maxima. Look at that Front end you know how nice that's gonna look coming down the street!!!!

Please Lord Jesus, let this be the 8th Gen Maxima & forgive me of my sins. I love the look & design. This car would revive the 4DSC, for sure!

Damn, this car is just sexy all day & night.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Yes, 2016 is the model year. CVT will be the standard and only transmission option. Nissan is heavily invested into CVT technology so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought the same exact thing to myself because the general Nissan redesign time frame is usually 5-6 years. You do have to take into account that the Nissan Armada and the Nissan Titan are still in their first generation which is running almost a decade strong (9 years) although there were several issues as to why it wasn't redesigned on the normal cycle.
Whatt?? If it's 2016 then I have to look for a new non-Nissan car. My lease is expiring in 2014, and I'm sure many owners are 2011 and 2012 so they're losing a lot of customers. I was hoping they would release it mid 2014 as a 2015 MY according to all the info circulating on the web. Is the maxima much larger than the current one at least?

And did you see the new Armada? And when does the Rogue come out?

Last edited by ah_max11; 06-20-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ah_max11
Whatt?? If it's 2016 then I have to look for a new non-Nissan car. My lease is expiring in 2014, and I'm sure many owners are 2011 and 2012 so they're losing a lot of customers. I was hoping they would release it mid 2014 as a 2015 MY according to all the info circulating on the web. Is the maxima much larger than the current one at least?

well at this time of the year there would of been some dates so there wont be a 2014 Maxima not even a 7th gen apparently. There would of been some spy photos or at least some word from nissan. this is prob the 1st year the maxima was not produced..... but hey it wouldnt be hard for them to just pump out more 7th gens it depends on how many they are selling. It's already mi year.....
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ah_max11

Man I am with you on this. I think the poster above claiming to be from nissan is lying.

I say this because i believe the redesign is coming for 2014. Notice how silent nissan is.... If it was just a mini refresh we would have heard about it by now. But i think the 8th gen is already here. They wont release new altima, then make us wait 3 plus years for new maxima. I call bull.

Its more likely the redesign is for 2014 or 2015 at most. If not nissan is literally shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure im not the only one waiting. Im sure many of us have the money already saved up and just waiting to see. If its 2016. then good bye maxima Hello new q50

Last edited by mojotaker; 06-22-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 AM

speaking of the Q50 here are the "alleged" specs on this so I guess we can use this as an idea of what not to expect.. I havent had the time to go through all the specs but i think this is the 1st vehicle nissan has had folding mirrors to so maybe they'll add that to the max:

Name:  Binder3_Page_1_zpsa601e376.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  Binder3_Page_2_zps326a86bd.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  57.1 KB
Name:  Binder3_Page_3_zpsf60d8536.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  111.3 KB
Name:  Binder3_Page_4_zps00bb2c41.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  Binder3_Page_6_zps99488c57.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  142.0 KB

Max will def not have all these options and trim levels.
I'll print this when i get a chance and guess if anything could be trickling down to the maxima..... im not even sure if nissan has a history of using lower specs from infiniti's on the max etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I call BS on Nissan's Finest. In fact, I feel stupid even replying to his/her comments. If Nissan revealed the all new, completely redesigned Maxima to employees in May 2013, do you guys really think that they would wait two full years to release it? That would be extremely dumb as far as business is concerned...waiting two years to release a finished product, especially in the automotive world where things constantly change. If the Maxima is debuting as a 2016 model, then it is not complete yet, as Nissan's Finest says. If if is complete, then it will debut at a 2014 auto show as a 2015 model.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Nissan seems to have been lagging since the early 2000s. Look at their lineup now The Titan, the Xterra,The Maxima their products are behind. The 7th gen Maxima take the fuel economy 19 city 26 highway you've got competitors seeing 30MPG on the highway. Then you have the 6th gen Max with the notorious transmission problems, the Xterra's and Pathfinders Radiator transmission issues. Nissan has got to step their game up or their gonna be right up there on the **** list with Ford.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Holder
I call BS on Nissan's Finest. In fact, I feel stupid even replying to his/her comments. If Nissan revealed the all new, completely redesigned Maxima to employees in May 2013, do you guys really think that they would wait two full years to release it? That would be extremely dumb as far as business is concerned...waiting two years to release a finished product, especially in the automotive world where things constantly change. If the Maxima is debuting as a 2016 model, then it is not complete yet, as Nissan's Finest says. If if is complete, then it will debut at a 2014 auto show as a 2015 model.
the man has a point.

To add - information is not secret in this day and age...if such a meeting / conference even existed I'm fairly certain it would have been leaked. Hell, they filmed Saddam's execution, I'm sure someone could have snapped a few pics of a damn car.

When I worked at Boeing, cell phones with cameras were prohibited in certain buildings but half the folks there still had 'em...including the buildings where the wings and rear fuselage for the F-22 Raptor were assembled

IJS, I'm now taking a skeptical eye to what Nissans_finest is saying...and you don't start a new account just to come into this thread and disappear...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Unless he/she comes clean than Nissans_finest should be perma-banned and any ip's associated with that account!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Fellow maxima lovers
Well I owned a 2006 maxima that had the tranny issues, and the problems never went away . Spent a total of about 5g in additional repiars and stuff. Long story short, i have been ready to get rid of it for the longest time.

So i recently went car shopping , and all i can tell you, is Nissan as a whole, is screwing up right now, even with the infinity line. Almost all the cars are outdated, i mean in terms of technology and features. And with the current delay of the q50 and mia maxima, I dont know what their end game is.

I couldn't wait for the maxima and the q50. I ended up getting a 2014 mdx yesterday.

If they don't go big with the maxima whenever it comes out, that will be the end of that era.

Oh and less i forget, dont be decieved. For a decent q50 you will spend upwards of 49k selling price.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by mojotaker
I couldn't wait for the maxima and the q50. I ended up getting a 2014 mdx yesterday.

You couldn't wait for two sedans, so you bought an SUV, the CHEAPEST of which STARTS at 42K...

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 07-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM

the man has a point.

To add - information is not secret in this day and age...if such a meeting / conference even existed I'm fairly certain it would have been leaked. Hell, they filmed Saddam's execution, I'm sure someone could have snapped a few pics of a damn car.

When I worked at Boeing, cell phones with cameras were prohibited in certain buildings but half the folks there still had 'em...including the buildings where the wings and rear fuselage for the F-22 Raptor were assembled

IJS, I'm now taking a skeptical eye to what Nissans_finest is saying...and you don't start a new account just to come into this thread and disappear...
I agree completely.

What plant and what part of Boeing?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex

I agree completely.

What plant and what part of Boeing?
This was the Seattle plant
Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 PM

It's funny you guy's mention Boeing as I am a pilot, And Nissan better hurry up with this 8th gen the Maxima name needs a boost right now it's the worst it's ever been. It's Sad how the 3rd and 4th gen have more leg room then the 7th. The 6th has it's advantage because most cars on the market don't have that much legroom as it does.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM

OT but what do you fly? My father in law has a piper cherokee but hasn't flown in awhile due to his health, can't pass his Annual
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM

I'm in the process of becoming a commisioned officer in the Air Force i'm going to be flying the heavies if everything goes according to plan the C-5 most likely. As of now i'm on the verge of going to the airlines as a regional pilot. And i'm sorry to hear about your father n law man hopefully his health improves so he can get his medical back I just turned 27.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 PM

sweet - good luck to you! I was going into the USAF to be a pilot or a linguist, but my eyes were too bad to be a pilot and my hearing was too bad to be a linguist

My FIL is pretty much not going to fly again...Bell's palsy So he's pretty much hanging onto the plane for nostalgia, really. Seriously thought of getting my private pilot's license but it's just too much time and money involved though I LOVE flying, always have...piloted several Cessnas in the Civil Air Patrol, etc...when FIL did fly his Cherokee we went up as often as we could for those "two hundred dollar burgers"

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 07-10-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by L36
They should just kill off the maxima already. Altima sells better and has everything a maxima has.

'Sells better?' You are clearly way behind with the last ten years of Maxima evolution. Here is a very abbreviated review:

Ghosn made it crystal clear back in 2002 that the Maxima would no longer be the 'affordable 4DSC' it had been for two decades. He said the Maxima was being moved upscale to near-luxury, and the manual version of the Altima would be the new 'affordable 4DSC.'

So the 6th generation Maxima was exactly what Goshen had promised - roomier, more expensive, less sporty and more luxurious.

But long-time Maxima fans had missed the message Ghosn gave us in 2002, and complained loudly that the Maxima had lost its way. So Ghosn re-thought the situation, and promised to take the Maxima back nearer its performance roots, but said it would stay upscale and be Nissan's 'flagship.'

He also said the Maxima would be more of a prestige car than the Altima, with production goals of around 70K for the Maxima and 250K for Altima, which would be Nissan's 'everyman's' car. And Ghosn did exactly what he said he would do with the 7th gen Maxima.

And that is why we see parking lots filled with Altimas, most of which are the 2.5 version used simply to get from point A to point B, but see far fewer Maximas, whose drivers are looking for something far more than a car that looks like every other car.

Altima and Maxima. Those who bother to go through all the specifications and options know these are two totally different vehicles aimed at two totally different target groups.

Drop the Maxima for the Altima? Makes absolutely ZERO sense from every possible viewpoint.

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more