8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Didn't like it
I think the previous model is more agreesive and stylish
But that's just me
Old 12-01-2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by OmarHamad
Didn't like it
But that's just me
I agree. I wish they wouldn't have taken the long fog lights away. I liked that design against the chin skirt. They also put quad tips on the rear exhaust. Reminiscent of Lexus. I sure hope they don't butcher the redesign coming out in the next couple of years.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 AM

Didn't like it
But that's just me

^^^ This^^^
Old 12-01-2018, 02:58 PM

So is it confirmed that the 2019 SR Premium will have a panoramic sunroof?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
So is it confirmed that the 2019 SR Premium will have a panoramic sunroof?
Yes.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Toaster
front struts are mounted differently, no? Bolts, instead of hex nuts.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Didn't like it
But that's just me

Eating my words here about liking the new refresh. Now that the dust has settled and really studied the pics/videos. I must agree 16-18 does look better. It looks more sporty, cleaner and not trying to hard in looks like this new refresh. I also seen a video of this new refresh in white color. Wow yeah it really brought out the worse looks. I still dig the new rear full led rear lights though.

I showed my sister the new refresh and she liked the older looking style much more right away. She is not even into cars. Said the refresh does not look as sporty and more
luxury look instead if you like that over sporty.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 12-04-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
I agree. I wish they wouldn't have taken the long fog lights away. I liked that design against the chin skirt. They also put quad tips on the rear exhaust. Reminiscent of Lexus. I sure hope they don't butcher the redesign coming out in the next couple of years.
Wow it seems not just me😂
Actually it looks more like a refindes Altima or even may be mistaken for a higher Altima trim
(A nissan ignorant friend told me)..
The fog light is really a downer
Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild

Eating my words here about liking the new refresh. Now that the dust has settled and really studied the pics/videos. I must agree 16-18 does look better. It looks more sporty, cleaner and not trying to hard in looks like this new refresh. I also seen a video of this new refresh in white color. Wow yeah it really brought out the worse looks. I still dig the new rear full led rear lights though.

I showed my sister the new refresh and she liked the older looking style much more right away. She is not even into cars. Said the refresh does not look as sporty and more
I agree with your sis
I tried to like one thing over the old model but couldn't really..
May be a new color option but that's a far fetch
Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by wild *****
^^^ This^^^
What? 😊
Old 12-04-2018, 05:22 PM

I prefer the facelift to be honest. More sporty to me, especially the back. The gray SR with the midnight package looks great IMO.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 PM

More luxury looking in the back. For sure! More sporty?!?! No way Jose!!!! Especially with those non functional outer exhaust tips.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 AM

More luxury looking in the back. For sure! More sporty?!?! No way Jose!!!! Especially with those non functional outer exhaust tips.

I have to agree with the exhaust... I think having these integrated tips manufactures are doing are one of the stupidest trends that appears to be happening. For starters if you look for anything more than 2 seconds you can clearly see the exhaust pipe behind most of them as well as the outlets that are not functioning which looks cheap and cheesy.

One thing I want to look at is how it all looks in black... and if you can "cut" out the stupid bumper tips and weld a quad tip to the muffler.

My big thing is what will happen down the road with the exhaust soot that you see on cars? So its like ok we have these integrated tips in the bumper but when the bumper gets all crappy looking in a few years now you need to shell out for a whole new bumper. I know the issue of Soot is not just related to these types but it will look horrible when it starts to happen or burn the tips.

These alone made me seriously question on trading in my 17 lease for a 19 when my lease is up.

However I am a fan of the led lights, but it looks to me like the housings in the back at least are the same, so maybe all 4 lights in the back can be swapped into the 16-18 models.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Both tips are functional. They just don't appear that way.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlackNYMax
I have to agree with the exhaust... I think having these integrated tips manufactures are doing are one of the stupidest trends that appears to be happening. For starters if you look for anything more than 2 seconds you can clearly see the exhaust pipe behind most of them as well as the outlets that are not functioning which looks cheap and cheesy.
Even worse are completely fake tips. Audi, looking at you...

One thing I want to look at is how it all looks in black... and if you can "cut" out the stupid bumper tips and weld a quad tip to the muffler.
Like I said above, the midnight edition looks pretty good IMO. You won't need to cut anything.

My big thing is what will happen down the road with the exhaust soot that you see on cars? So its like ok we have these integrated tips in the bumper but when the bumper gets all crappy looking in a few years now you need to shell out for a whole new bumper. I know the issue of Soot is not just related to these types but it will look horrible when it starts to happen or burn the tips.
You could try cleaning them?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
I seen them up close. Unless my eyes deceived me? The outer ones are blocked out. I don't see any holes like the inner two.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM

I seen them up close. Unless my eyes deceived me? The outer ones are blocked out. I don't see any holes like the inner two.
They are closed from behind, but the are open to the side. Standing behind the car you will only see an exhaust pipe on the inside tips, but the exhaust can flow out both.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 PM

2019 rear lights

about the only thing I like better in the 19 is the rear lights. I'll probably look into swapping in the new ones in my 16. I much prefer the 16 to 18 front end.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:17 PM

I like the overall look and tech update of the refresh. Love the new headlights, ambivalent toward the fog lights although I am glad they are now LED, and the rear is fine (no sure about the quad exhaust). Wish I could just update the infotainment to get android auto but ain't happening. Since my 2016 is paid off, will just use it as a trade in and add a few grand to pay off the 19 model without financing. Hopefully there will be a 9th generation, and I'll just the 19 model as a trade in.....
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM

It would've been nice if they had just left the damn car alone until they released the redesign.

I want to like the face lift and rear end job, but they lifted the chin from the ground on the front and I think it sits too high now. I also don't like the round fog lights. I don't like that they got away from the round exhaust tips. I think the round tips were more of a signature look for Nissan. I don't think it needed quad tips at all.... round or square.

From what I see right now, I'm leaning toward not purchasing another Maxima. However, once the redesign hits and depending on what that looks like, I will make a decision at that point and time. I am totally satisfied with my 16 SR and will enjoy it up to the new release. Not unhappy at all.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 12-06-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Administrator

For you guys thinking that you can easily swap the tailights to the newer full LED tailights, I don't believe you will be able to w/o a lot of trouble because the electrical circuitry is different from standard bulbs to LED. I've seen this issue come up on other forums I visit. For example, I own a 2014 Lexus GS 350; the tailights utilize standard bulbs. Lots of guys want the newer 2017/2018 Lexus GSF 350 tailights because they are LED. They fit fine, but they don't light up w/o electrical modifications.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM

It would've been nice if they had just left the damn car alone until they released the redesign.
This is a normal thing lol

Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 PM

I want to like the face lift and rear end job, but they lifted the chin from the ground on the front and I think it sits too high now. I also don't like the round fog lights. I don't like that they got away from the round exhaust tips. I think the round tips were more of a signature look for Nissan. I don't think it needed quad tips at all.... round or square.

From what I see right now, I'm leaning toward not purchasing another Maxima. However, once the redesign hits and depending on what that looks like, I will make a decision at that point and time. I am totally satisfied with my 16 SR and will enjoy it up to the new release. Not unhappy at all.
Refreshes always happen for the better or worse. I like the new safety tech coming.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
For you guys thinking that you can easily swap the tailights to the newer full LED tailights, I don't believe you will be able to w/o a lot of trouble because the electrical circuitry is different from standard bulbs to LED. I've seen this issue come up on other forums I visit. For example, I own a 2014 Lexus GS 350; the tailights utilize standard bulbs. Lots of guys want the newer 2017/2018 Lexus GSF 350 tailights because they are LED. They fit fine, but they don't light up w/o electrical modifications.
Agreed, it’s no different than trying to install led turn signal bulbs. The electrical system is not something you want to mess with. I personally would not install resistors on my vehicle. They also removed the reflectors from the taillights and moved them down into the middle of the rear bumper. So if that’s a concern to you, you also lose that safety feature. As someone who designs buildings, I don’t appreciate the move towards unintegrated design!!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 PM

Maxima 2019 Press Kit out: https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...xima-press-kit
Old 12-17-2018, 04:54 AM

2019 Maxima - Autoblog First Drive

FYI - https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/17/...view-ckg5497h/

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM

So they drive a Platinum and complain that it lacks paddle shifters, is too soft, and has unresponsive steering. Do you think they know the SR trim exists?
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM

The paddle shifters are lame and stupid to have on this car in the first place.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sir Buckeye
So they drive a Platinum and complain that it lacks paddle shifters, is too soft, and has unresponsive steering. Do you think they know the SR trim exists?
Do you think Nissan's PR and MR (media relations) team knows which cars to keep (and share) in the press fleet?
Or is the SR a disaster to drive? And didn't show off the fancy semi-aniline interior, which sums up the lipstick changes.
As journalists, one would assume they know.
As Nissan, well, their former CEO (chairman) is in jail and current one is trying to prevent an all-out mutiny.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 AM

The paddle shifters are lame and stupid to have on this car in the first place.
I'm certain we've had this discussion before. Paddle shifters (or manual shifting) are effective for certain downshift in turn or preparing for a rolling launch, when used correctly they are extremely effective...but you gotta know how to use them.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
As journalists, one would assume they know.
Considering they mentioned hoping for paddle shifters in the "next refresh", I wouldn't say it's safe to assume they know what's in the SR trim.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'm certain we've had this discussion before. Paddle shifters (or manual shifting) are effective for certain downshift in turn or preparing for a rolling launch, when used correctly they are extremely effective...but you gotta know how to use them.
That is all fine and dandy if it was not a CVT.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Buckeye
Considering they mentioned hoping for paddle shifters in the "next refresh", I wouldn't say it's safe to assume they know what's in the SR trim.
They could have inferred "... in the Platinum..." which is the tier they tested.
Why don't you email them and ask?

To this point, as the owner of a Platinum, I think it's rubbish crap that my $42k Nissan doesn't have them, when I do use the pseudo-manual mode.
I should not have to forgo a sunroof (pre-2019/SR Premium) AND deal with the rough SR ride (look across the forum) to get paddle shifters...
... which cannot be added in any way/shape/form to non-SR cars.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Just posted at the first link below that I bought a new 2018 Maxima Platinum. I mentioned in that post I did so after seeing the '19 refresh and deciding I liked the '18 much better. While beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder, and I do think the '19 Maxima is still a great looking car, I hands-down preferred just about everything about the '18 (really, the '16-'18). Most importantly, I like the lights and look of both the front-end and back-end of the '18 better. I also absolutely love the stock wheels on the '18, and really didn't like at all the new wheels on the Platinum. As well, while maybe that Rakuda Tan (dark orange) might look good with certain exterior colors (Black, White, Gun Metallic, Silver), I thought it clashed terribly with my choice of Carnelian Red. And while the '19 added a few features I would have liked -- additional safety items (pedestrian detection, rear auto braking, lane departure warning, rear door alert, knee air bags), LED fog lights, upgraded navi, USB-C ports, heated rear seats -- in total I felt they were all just nice-to-haves, didn't come close to making up for the other things I preferred about the '18. When my dealer offered me 21% off the '18 MSRP (more about that at the second link below), that was just icing on the cake. So now a very proud owner -- finally! -- of an 8th generation Maxima. Couldn't be happier.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...m-pics-11.html

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...hopper-20.html

Last edited by sschumer; 12-19-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added missing text
Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Just posted at the first link below that I bought a new 2018 Maxima Platinum. I mentioned in that post I did so after seeing the '19 refresh and deciding I liked the '18 much better. While beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder, and I do think the '19 Maxima is still a great looking car, I hands-down preferred just about everything about the '18 (really, the '16-'18). Most importantly, I like the lights and look of both the front-end and back-end of the '18 better. I also absolutely love the stock wheels on the '18, and really didn't like at all the new wheels on the Platinum. As well, while maybe that Rakuda Tan (dark orange) might look good with certain exterior colors (Black, White, Gun Metallic, Silver), I thought it clashed terribly with my choice of Carnelian Red. And while the '19 added a few features I would have liked -- additional safety items (pedestrian detection, rear auto braking, lane departure warning, rear door alert, knee air bags), LED fog lights, upgraded navi, USB-C ports, heated rear seats -- in total I felt they were all just nice-to-haves, didn't come close to making up for the other things I preferred about the '18. When my dealer offered me 21% off the '18 (more about that at the second link below), that was just icing on the cake for me. So now a very proud owner -- finally! -- of an 8th generation Maxima. Couldn't be happier.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...m-pics-11.html

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...hopper-20.html
Couldn't agree with you more. I have a 16 SR and I'm not impressed with the facelift on the 19 that much. I was at my dealer yesterday and asked if the 19 LED headlights could be cross-referenced to the 16 and he said he would have to check with the tech on it. The only problem is, it would be a very expensive upgrade if you could. Right now, even if I wanted to, you can't even order parts because it's too new. I won't. I, too, am very satisfied with my 16 and will wait to see what the 2020 revamp will look like. However, the facelift on the 19 is what the redesign 2020 will look like. I'm just not sold on the facelift. I bought out my lease after the first year and I may be jumping out of my Maxima once I wear this one out and looking elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:01 PM

My take: looks better in person than in photos.

And there will be no redesign in 2020. That gives this facelift only 1 model year at retail and that definitely will not happen. 2022 earliest. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM

My take: looks better in person than in photos.

And there will be no redesign in 2020. That gives this facelift only 1 model year at retail and that definitely will not happen. 2022 earliest. Don't get your hopes up.
Well, the dates are all over the board on the redesign, I'm finding out. The point being, I will wait to make a final decision on whether or not I stick with Maxima whenever that date is. I'm very comfortable in my 16 until it happens. The facelift isn't enough to make me jump out of a recently paid off car. It has to be substantial for me to make that move. I'm hoping the redesign will motivate me.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. I have a 16 SR and I'm not impressed with the facelift on the 19 that much. I was at my dealer yesterday and asked if the 19 LED headlights could be cross-referenced to the 16 and he said he would have to check with the tech on it. The only problem is, it would be a very expensive upgrade if you could. Right now, even if I wanted to, you can't even order parts because it's too new. I won't. I, too, am very satisfied with my 16 and will wait to see what the 2020 revamp will look like. However, the facelift on the 19 is what the redesign 2020 will look like. I'm just not sold on the facelift. I bought out my lease after the first year and I may be jumping out of my Maxima once I wear this one out and looking elsewhere.
Good points all Ed. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Up until last month, I was a happy Maxima owner for six generations of this vehicle.

In my opinion, the "19" refresh is a step backwards. The design is becoming outdated. The shoulder line is blocky. Too clunky for what should be a sportier version of the 4-door sedan.

Despite that, living in snowy western New York, I was excited to see the Altima come with AWD this year and hopeful for the Maxima. With many other sedans and crossovers in the price range making that change, it only seemed reasonable to expect Nissan's "flagship" to follow suit. The fact that they chose only the Altima for the AWD platform is revealing.

So... after almost two decades, I switched to the Max's cousin. The Infinity Q50 has a slightly smaller cockpit, passenger room and trunk, but is clearly much more a sport sedan, So far, I love this car. The All Wheel - Rear Wheel dominate drive is a blast. Looking forward to passing everyone on our snow covered roads this winter and enjoying the 300 pony, 3.0t when the roads are bare.

The switch is bittersweet. Car makers are leaving the 4-door sedan market in droves. Nissan (like many) appear to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. For me, The time to jump was now. Glad I did.

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more