8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

A36 Maxima Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM

A36 Maxima Driving Impressions

Just figured I'd share my experience behind the wheel of a Deep Blue Pearl on Charcoal A36 Platinum with you folks. Let me know if you folks have any questions.

Exterior Design:

MUCH better in person. I won't lie, I rolled my eyes and said "ugh" when I saw the quick shots of the maroon/bordeaux black Maxima from the Super Bowl ad, but in person the vehicle looks MUCH better. FWIW, Nissans new "family styling traits" work here on the Maxima. To start, the floating roof works much better on vehicles with rear hatches (e.g. the Z52 Murano and the Sway concept) or vehicles with a notchback body style (IDx), but it doesn't look out of place or forced on a sedan with enough length like the Maxima the way it does on the MUCH shorter Chinese market Lannia sedan. As for the large V-Motion grille, it looks much less gaping in the metal than it does in pictures. In short, with so many creases, this is not a vehicle that photographs very well, but I definitely think it's also a car that looks much better in colors that stand out like the Deep Blue Pearl tester I drove. White and Silver will not be the A36 Maxima's friend as the creases will have folks wondering as to whether or not some of the car's lines are styling cues or parking lot damage.

The headlights look sharp, the taillights however were an incredibly lazy design IMO, like they spent so much time on the door creases they almost forgot to include rear lamps and slapped these on. The brake light units are "oh-so-90s" incandescent units and only the nighttime running lamps light up LED. Given how wild the rear lamp units are on the Z52 Murano, Nissan could have done much better here.

As for the wheels, the standard asymmetrical 18 inchers look good in person, like slightly smaller versions of the 19s on my Z34 Sport. I know there's always been a debate about "the TOTL Platinum should come with 19s instead of 18s" but I guarantee that the "non-SR" crowd will appreciate the extra inch of sidewall on the open road. This car does not suffer from huge wheel gap and the 18s do a sufficient job of filling the wheel wells.

Interior Design:

LOVE IT. As an individual who loves driver-centric vehicles I love the A36 Maxima's interior layout. I love the gauge cluster and how you can get digital oil temp/trans temp readouts right in front of you. Short of the new completely digital gauge cluster in the Mk3 Audi TT which starts around $40k, the Maxima is the benchmark IMO. The A36 uses the same setup as the Z52 Murano and it's incredibly intuitive, offers a host of customization possibilities and will give you all kinds of information right smack dab in your line of sight so that you never need to glance over at the 8" touchscreen.

And speaking of "touchscreen", if you've sat in a Murano you'll feel at home here. The 8" screen and the system itself is identical to the one in the Murano with the addition of a redundant control **** dubbed the "Display Commander" right behind the shifter which is incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use. IMO the setup in the new Maxima sets the bar for the rest of the Nissan/Infiniti lineup. I do NOT like the HDD based system in the Q50 which relies much more heavily on touchscreen swipes and which is (IMO anyway) much slower to respond than the SD card based units found in the higher end Nissans. The Maxima's setup has significantly reduced the number of buttons found on the dash and thus looks and feels very clean, but the addition of a tactile **** makes it incredibly easy to use and keeps the screen clear of any fingerprints. Hi-tech without overloading your brain.

Overall throughout the rest of the car you'll find nice little touches (ambient lighting on higher end models) and the quality of the leather in the Premium model is unheard of in this segment. Things are well thought out like the pocket next to the shifter which holds a pair of USB ports and will swallow an I-Phone 6 Plus without even batting an eye.

FWIW, when Nissan tosses the term "cockpit" around in their marketing, it is NOT smoke. You truly do feel encapsulated in the Driver's seat with the console switchgear aimed towards the driver and a high center console that makes you feel like you're sitting in the car as opposed to being on top of it. It won't be for everyone, especially larger folks, but if you like feeling snug in your car then you'll love being behind the wheel of an A36. Coming from a Z I felt right at home, all that was missing was a black headliner.

One thing I do wish the Maxima had to further distance itself from it's Altima cousin and to further add to the "cockpit feel" is frameless doors, but I can't get mad at Nissan for that one. It adds cost and complexity to a $30k-$40k vehicle trying to sell itself on value to customers cross-shopping the Maxima against vehicles which cost $5k-$10k more.

The Drive:

And now we come to the part anyone actually reading this really gives a **** about. How does it drive?

First, let me get this out of the way, no matter how hard Nissan tries to press the "4DSC" moniker, the A36 Maxima is NOT A FOUR-DOOR SPORTS CAR. IT IS NOT THE RETURN OF THE 4DSC, (sorry Nissan, I'm old enough to remember when you tried that marketing ploy with the A35 back in '08-'09 with little stickers on the rear door glass).

That being said, the Maxima does fulfill its mission, and that is to be a sporty luxury sedan to those looking to stand out/be different without the luxury price tag. Let's face it, if we live in a time when we as enthusiasts ask ourselves if the F30 3-Series - the supposed "Ultimate Driving Machine" - is still truly a driver's car, can we really fault Nissan for playing up its own history and lineage a bit? I guess what I'm trying to say is that the mission of the "4DSC" today is vastly different from the mission of the "4DSC" from 25 years ago. 25 years ago "4DSC" meant "stick and clutch and a limited-slip diff in a car priced alongside other family sedans". Today it means "sporty, stylish, fun and still requiring something of the driver" in a time when we seem to be headed towards autonomous cars. We as hardcore enthusiasts lament the lack of the stick shift when really we should be thankful the Maxima doesn't drive itself (although with some of the available safety tech, it actually comes close at times).

So how does it drive? INCREDIBLY WELL given it's mission. No, it's not my Z34, but it's not supposed to be. That said, it accelerates, stops, handles and sounds much more aggressive than the L33 V6 Altima. The switch from "Normal" to "Sport" mode is dramatic, AS WELL IT SHOULD BE. I HATE CARS WITH 500 MODES which take you from Eco, Normal, Street (isn't that Normal?), Sport, Sport + (then WTF is Sport?), Race (oh ok, this is the hardcore one), Track (WTF?) etc... What's wrong with two modes, one for everyday, one for hardcore when you gotta outrun the cops? And just to be clear, you WILL feel a difference between the two, straight Jekyll and Hyde setup here. The steering sharpens up dramatically, the throttle is more responsive, the transmission more aggressive (I'll get to the trans in a second) and for the vehicles equipped with the Bose "Active Sound Enhancement", you will hear a difference as the "exhaust note" switches to a lower more burbly sound. I won't lie, prior to my experience with the system in the A36 Maxima and the 2016 Z a few days ago, I was on the "I hate fake engine sounds bandwagon", but you know what, it works. The noice cancellation system works for a quieter vehicle in "Normal" and reverses the effect in "Sport". It makes less sense in a car like a Z which IMO should always be turned up to 11, but in the case of the Maxima it's a feature which I think should receive some praise.

As for the motor, 300hp is more than sufficient. It felt like the same old VQ with a bit of polish to keep it going for a few more years. I can't argue with the power, the A36 has good pickup, and I can't complain about 30MPG highway. That said, Nissan's new family of V6 engines can't come fast enough. The VQ is a good motor but the A36 deserves a great motor. With the new Q60 Coupe still a good two model years away and the Z35 following shortly after that, don't expect the trickle down into the Maxima for at least another three years or so. That said, with all of the tech and comfort of the Maxima, you won't care or notice the age of the engine unless you really get on it IMO. It'll do. Besides, it's not the engine that makes the Maxima a surprisingly fun and entertaining vehicle to drive, it's the transmission...

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, THAT TRANSMISSION, THE ONE, THE CVT ONE, THE ONE THAT ISN'T A STICK SHIFT IN 2015, OR EVEN A DUAL-CLUTCH GEARBOX.

Nissan has done one hell of a job tuning the CVT in the Maxima. In situations where you expect or wish for "gear changes" you get them. In manual mode you get sporty sounding rev-matched downshifts which sound and feel great. Yes they come at the expense of efficiency, but the point of a "fun" car isn't always to be the most efficient, it's to be entertaining when asked or pushed, and in this regard, when the A36 Maxima's CVT is asked to behave like a stepped gearbox it does a fantastic impression, just like the A36 does a fantastic impression of a "4DSC" almost 30 years after Nissan coined the term. Just as the 4DSC's mission has changed over the last 10 years, so to has the mission of the CVT in a sporty application.

In short, this is not an E39 M5 Sedan, a car many folks consider the pinnacle of true sport sedans, but it does accomplish it's mission IMO. If you want a 4-door that can be a lady on the street but a freak on a switchback road the Maxima warrants a look. Whatever edge Infiniti lost when they softened the V36 G37 by morphing it into the V37 Q50 seems to have been picked up by the A36 Maxima, FWD+CVT and all, just don't expect a 4-door Z and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by bruddahmanmatt; 05-12-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Great write up! Thanks for giving an honest opinion. So far it is sounds like Nissan hit a home run and that it drives incredibly well! Can't wait to test drive and pick one up! Love this car, knew Nissan would deliver with the engine and transmission! Thanks again!

Last edited by NissanFreak2000; 05-12-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Wow! I had a slight delay here while running to change my pants after reading that writeup. If that doesn't make the reader leak his pants a little, then he is not a true Maxima fan.

After all the negative posting here by CVT haters, it is so heart-warming to read a writeup from a test-driver who judges the CVT for what it DOES rather than simply for the fact it is a CVT. The CVT is gradually improving, and this 8th gen Maxima probably has the best CVT built so far. But there will be those who will base their dislike of the CVT on a combination of their desire to do the shifting themselves, combined with the problems we saw in early CVTs.

There is so much to comment on in this test-drive, but I am going to take a break and celebrate the arrival of the best Maxima so far; the 8th gen 2016.

EDIT - But,before I take my break, I would like to say I am extremely impressed that we can get digital readouts of oil temp and tranny temp. I had already noticed little analog gauges for those temps in the interior photos. I am a little **** about what is going on in cars I drive, and grew very fond of those temp gauges when they were very common in upscale cars over fifty years ago, then they gradually drsappeared in favor of idiot lights.

Well. I have had the system time out and throw away the things I tried to post here several times now. I find that I have mere minutes to post before the system knocks me off. I have had that problem with this site for years, so don't expect things to change now. I will just have to add a sentence at a time.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-13-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 AM

Reading this, it's going to be a hard decision for me to move to a Murano from some of the things I am seeing. Thanks for the great write up and honest opinion.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:44 AM

I've read a bunch of things about the new CVT having convincing "dynamic step shifting", but I just want to confirm: it also still operates in a regular CVT mode, right? It took some getting used to in my 2008 Altima, but I've come to love the smoothness of it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Nice job - and very fair brudda! Can't wait for an extended test drive!!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by coasterswim
I've read a bunch of things about the new CVT having convincing "dynamic step shifting", but I just want to confirm: it also still operates in a regular CVT mode, right? It took some getting used to in my 2008 Altima, but I've come to love the smoothness of it.
In everyday driving the CVT behaves like a CVT, it's when you get on it that you'll feel the simulated shifts to break up the drone which usually shows up when you put your foot to the floor in a CVT equipped vehicle. IMO you get a true "best of both worlds" setup with the CVT in the A36.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
In everyday driving the CVT behaves like a CVT, it's when you get on it that you'll feel the simulated shifts to break up the drone which usually shows up when you put your foot to the floor in a CVT equipped vehicle. IMO you get a true "best of both worlds" setup with the CVT in the A36.
Glad to hear it. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM

Bruddahmanmatt - I read somewhere that this new Maxima can sense when we are driving fairly aggressively on, say, a curvy road, and not automatically let the RPMs drop when we let off the gas, but hold the RPMs so as to be instantly ready to accelerate as we leave curves. Is that specifically tied to the 'SPORT' setting, or something determined by how aggressively we are driving?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:12 PM

In continuing my response to the OP, like bruddahmanmatt, I am not thrilled by the tail light design. I am, however, beginning to grow used to it, and it no longer annoys me. In a remote sort of way, the taillight design sort of echos the boomerrang headlight assembly in a flattened, less-aggressive manner.

I also agree with bruddahmanmatt that the 18" wheels/tires are probably best for all models except the SR, as they will give the most comfortable ride. And I also agree that the omnipresent wheel gap of the past few generations is no longer an issue. I like the spoke design of the 19" wheels best, but the 18" wheels look better in person than they did in photos. I now have no problem with them.

I also am growing used to the grille, especially after having spent a few hours looking at this car in person. The grille sometimes dominates in the photos we see, but not so much when walking around the car. And the lighting on the front is rather dramatic at night.

I recall many here felt the side sculpting was overboard. But, in walking around this car for over two hours, I hardly even noticed the side sculpting. Unless the lighting is just right, this sculpting sort of drifts into the background.

I also like that, rather than CREATE additional engine sound when in SPORT mode, Nissan simply SENDS more of the ACTUAL ENGINE sound into the cabin.

I also like that we have only NORMAL and SPORT modes. Those vehicles with four, five, six, etc driving modes are little more than a Detroit selling gimmick. I either feel in a sporting mood or not. I won't be driving on the beach, so don't need a 'SAND' setting.

Infiniti's morph from G37 to Q50 has sold well, but ratings and reviews of the Q50 have been disappointing. I think Nissan's replacement of the 7th gen with the 8th gen will, in the long run, prove to be a better transition. Not that the 7th gen was a bad car. I love my 7th gen. But this 8th gen shows promise of being a very big step up as a driver's car. I am glad we get this special car in time to enjoy driving again before everything begins converting to driverless.

Bruddahmanmatt mentioned that the 'floating roof' grommet separating the top from the body of the car at the rear will be more noticable on the white and silver cars than on darker colors. That is true. But I plan to take advantage of that. I will be buying the silver, and having the lower rear valance difuser below the rear bumper painted black. That will make the car seem less bulky from behind, and will result in black below the bumper, below the roof at the midline, and on top of the car. In looking at the Maxima in silver on nissanusa.com, the effect is one I really like.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Bruddahmanmatt - I read somewhere that this new Maxima can sense when we are driving fairly aggressively on, say, a curvy road, and not automatically let the RPMs drop when we let off the gas, but hold the RPMs so as to be instantly ready to accelerate as we leave curves. Is that specifically tied to the 'SPORT' setting, or something determined by how aggressively we are driving?
SR models come equipped with a feature called "Active Engine Brake" which is part of the IDM (Integrated Dynamics Module) which will vary the drive ratio to help with deceleration i.e. the car will hold onto a lower ratio to use the transmission to brake the car.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM

SR models come equipped with a feature called "Active Engine Brake" which is part of the IDM (Integrated Dynamics Module) which will vary the drive ratio to help with deceleration i.e. the car will hold onto a lower ratio to use the transmission to brake the car.
Oh. Nissan first put this feature (and they called it a 'feature' at the time) on the 6th gen. It used engine compression to hold the car back in certain (mostly downhill) driving situations. I loved it, but most 6th genners did not. It is also on my 7th gen, and I find I am using it very frequently (actually, it chooses when to activate, and I am along for the ride). I really like this, and will be a little disappointed if it is now only on the SR. But that will not stop me from enjoying my 8th gen.

It may be that the engine compression braking feature will still be on all 8th gen Maximas, but only the SR will have the CVT braking?

Or it may be that I am getting into tech stuff that is slightly over my head, and just need to drive and enjoy my Maxima.

EDIT - Prodded by MONTE in a post and link below, I now realize that the Active Engine Braking system in this 8th gen Maxima is far more refined and comprehensive than the simple increase of RPMs Nissan used in the 6th and 7th gens.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-14-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 PM

Oh. Nissan first put this feature (and they called it a 'feature' at the time) on the 6th gen. It used engine compression to hold the car back in certain (mostly downhill) driving situations. I loved it, but most 6th genners did not. It is also on my 7th gen, and I find I am using it very frequently (actually, it chooses when to activate, and I am along for the ride). I really like this, and will be a little disappointed if it is now only on the SR. But that will not stop me from enjoying my 8th gen.

It may be that the engine compression braking feature will still be on all 8th gen Maximas, but only the SR will have the CVT braking?

Or it may be that I am getting into tech stuff that is slightly over my head, and just need to drive and enjoy my Maxima.
Are you confusing electronic brakeforce distribution with Active Engine Braking as Active Engine braking is a fairly new technology for CVT's aka "Downhill Engine control". 2004 Maximas did not have this feature http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...ine_brake.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gy-news-39072/
Old 05-14-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Are you confusing electronic brakeforce distribution with Active Engine Braking as Active Engine braking is a fairly new technology for CVT's aka "Downhill Engine control". 2004 Maximas did not have this feature http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...ine_brake.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gy-news-39072/
The 'feature' Nissan began putting in the Maxima in the 2004 model had a catchy name, but I can't recall exactly what it was. Electronic brakeforce distribution was also in the '04, but the 'feature' I am talking about used engine compression (totally separate from the CVT, which was not in the '04) to keep the car from coasting freely when we took our foot off the accelerator.

They did that by having the onboard computer shift the tranny to a lower gear (on the non-CVT, and higher RPMs on the CVT versions) when coasting downhill, causing the engine to rev much higher, which, with no pressure being applied to the accelerator, gradually slowed trhe car down. It was described by Nissan techs at the time as 'engine compression braking.'

Nissan described it as an asset to 'spirited driving.' I really liked it in both the '04 and '09, but lots of folks on this board did not. They wanted to be able to coast freely on downhill slopes. They researched this feature with their dealers, and found that there was a way the dealer could turn this feature off. Several had it turned off in their 6th gens, and several others here had it turned off in their 7th gens.

It may be that Nissan has changed the way they do this same task in the 8th gen, in a way that involves the CVT to a greater extent, and so gave it a new name.

EDIT - I NOW UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION:

I just carefully re-read the article MONTE linked, and, as I sort of guessed in the previous sentence, this is a totally new system of Active Engine Braking Nissan has put on the 8th gen SR, and is much more involved, computerized and comprehensive than the simple increase of revs we had in the 6th and 7th gen Maximas.

Thanks for the link, MONTE.

It may be that the non-SR versions of the 8th gen will still have the simplified system of engine braking from the 6th and 7th gens, but maybe not.

This 8th gen is truly a marvel of modern technology. I might as well throw all my tools away, as I will not be using duct tape or baling wire on this baby. I'm glad I'm close with my dealership service department, although I think this 8th gen will be a reliable vehicle, just as all my previous Maximas have been.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-14-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 PM

The 'feature' Nissan began putting in the Maxima in the 2004 model had a catchy name, but I can't recall exactly what it was. Electronic brakeforce distribution was also in the '04, but the 'feature' I am talking about used engine compression (totally separate from the CVT, which was not in the '04) to keep the car from coasting freely when we took our foot off the accelerator.

They did that by having the onboard computer shift the tranny to a lower gear (on the non-CVT, and higher RPMs on the CVT versions) when coasting downhill, causing the engine to rev much higher, which, with no pressure being applied to the accelerator, gradually slowed trhe car down. It was described by Nissan techs at the time as 'engine compression braking.'

Nissan described it as an asset to 'spirited driving.' I really liked it in both the '04 and '09, but lots of folks on this board did not. They wanted to be able to coast freely on downhill slopes. They researched this feature with their dealers, and found that there was a way the dealer could turn this feature off. Several had it turned off in their 6th gens, and several others here had it turned off in their 7th gens.

It may be that Nissan has changed the way they do this same task in the 8th gen, in a way that involves the CVT to a greater extent, and so gave it a new name.

EDIT - I NOW UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION:

I just carefully re-read the article MONTE linked, and, as I sort of guessed in the previous sentence, this is a totally new system of Active Engine Braking Nissan has put on the 8th gen SR, and is much more involved, computerized and comprehensive than the simple increase of revs we had in the 6th and 7th gen Maximas.

Thanks for the link, MONTE.

It may be that the non-SR versions of the 8th gen will still have the simplified system of engine braking from the 6th and 7th gens, but maybe not.

This 8th gen is truly a marvel of modern technology. I might as well throw all my tools away, as I will not be using duct tape or baling wire on this baby. I'm glad I'm close with my dealership service department, although I think this 8th gen will be a reliable vehicle, just as all my previous Maximas have been.
Here is the procedure for how to disable this feature on CVT's, could not find the info for this on any non CVT Nissans.

"DOWNHILL ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL (AUTO ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL)" and it can be disabled by a Nissan dealer using CONSULT.

From the Nissan Factory Service Manual:

TM-105
DOWNHILL ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL (AUTO ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL)

When downhill is detected with the accelerator pedal released, the engine brake will be strengthened up by downshifting so as not to accelerate the vehicle more than necessary.

TM-111
WORK SUPPORT MODE

ENGINE BRAKE ADJ. The engine brake level setting can be canceled.

CONFORM CVTF DETERIORATION:The CVT fluid deterioration level can be checked.

Engine Brake Adjustment

“ENGINE BRAKE LEVEL”
0: Initial set value (Engine brake level control is activated)
OFF: Engine brake level control is deactivated.

CAUTION:
Mode of “+1” “0” “−1” “−2” “OFF” can be selected by pressing the “UP” “DOWN” on CONSULT-III screen. However, do not select mode other than “0” and “OFF”. If the “+1” or “−1” or “−2” is selected, that might cause irregular driveability.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM

MONTE - You are just a wealth of info. There are probably some 6th gen board and 7th gen board folks who would like to have that information you just outlined.

Changing the subject, I seem to recall that you and I were two of the first ones trying to guess what the 8th gen Maxima might bring us, and we began to try to anticipate way back in 2010. At that time, some posters felt the 8th gen would arrive with the 2012 model (never a chance), but most felt the 8th gen would arrive with the 2013 model year (in keeping with the most frequent length of Maxima generations). But I was guessing the 8th gen would arrive with the 2014 model year, and you were guessing the 2015 model year.

By 2012, with Nissan making the 2012 the '7 1/2' gen Maxima, I shifted my guess to the 8th gen arriving as the 2015, and you then said the 2016 model year. With the problems Nissan encountered in their new CVT they put in the new Altima, it turned out that Nissan was indeed not ready to bring the 8th gen out until the 2016 model year. Of all the 'guessers' here, you turned out to be the only one to guess the 2016 model year before the Altima CVT problems popped up and folks then began to join you on the 2016 bandwagon.

My congratulations on being essentially correct from way back in 2010.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-15-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:45 PM

MONTE - You are just a wealth of info. There are probably some 6th gen board and 7th gen board folks who would like to have that information you just outlined.

Changing the subject, I seem to recall that you and I were two of the first ones trying to guess what the 8th gen Maxima might bring us, and we began to try to anticipate way back in 2010. At that time, some posters felt the 8th gen would arrive with the 2012 model (never a chance), but most felt the 8th gen would arrive with the 2013 model year (in keeping with the most frequent length of Maxima generations). But I was guessing the 8th gen would arrive with the 2014 model year, and you were guessing the 2015 model year.

By 2012, with Nissan making the 2012 the '7 1/2' gen Maxima, I shifted my guess to the 8th gen arriving as the 2015, and you then said the 2016 model year. With the problems Nissan encountered in their new CVT they put in the new Altima, it turned out that Nissan was indeed not ready to bring the 8th gen out until the 2016 model year. Of all the 'guessers' here, you turned out to be the only one to guess the 2016 model year before the Altima CVT problems popped up and folks then began to join you on the 2016 bandwagon.

My congratulations on being essentially correct from way back in 2010.
Hey Light, thanks. I have a good feel for the Max and Z and still get a little info from my buddies that still work at corporate on some plans with them, I could not make the move so I had another job lined up when that time came! One of my last meeting there was about how they plan on moving to longer product cycles and low and behold it happened, look at previous Altima, 370, Frontier, Maxima etc. So I would always let the Org know when I knew or found out something, its a great place with wealth of knowledge to be learned on all gens 1 to 7 and soon to be 8!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 05-16-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Editorial reviews will post June 3rd as that's is the embargo lift. I really look forward the overall impressions as I feel this vehicle is a legit car of the year contender.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Blackarsenic83
Editorial reviews will post June 3rd as that's is the embargo lift. I really look forward the overall impressions as I feel this vehicle is a legit car of the year contender.
Yep. June 3rd is the magic day. All folks getting early test drives have been told very clearly that their test drive opinions must not be posted before June 3rd. Without getting into details, I will say that there will be some very impressive reviews posted the first week of June.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:44 AM

Hey Light, thanks. I have a good feel for the Max and Z and still get a little info from my buddies that still work at corporate on some plans with them, I could not make the move so I had another job lined up when that time came! One of my last meeting there was about how they plan on moving to longer product cycles and low and behold it happened, look at previous Altima, 370, Frontier, Maxima etc. So I would always let the Org know when I knew or found out something, its a great place with wealth of knowledge to be learned on all gens 1 to 7 and soon to be 8!
I felt sure you had to have a contact of some sort. Now the cat is out of the bag.

During the 2010-2012 period, I was thinking the 7th gen would run long because of the severe recession, when folks were not buying cars. But, based on your inside info, it seems Nissan had already decided to keep the 7th gen an extra few years. Then the new CVT gave trouble in the Altima, and we began to hear rumors of the Maxima's demise. Of course you and I knew Nissan was not going to give up on the Maxima.

Had their not been a recession, I would have shortened my guess as to the number of years the 7th gen would run, and you would probably have been the only person on the board to even be close to predicting such a long run of the 7th gen. In any event, your guess was always a year better than mine.

Based on what you are saying, instead of the 9th gen arriving at the most common interval of Maxima generations (4 years - 2020 model year), I suspect we both now feel it will probably be at least six years before we have the 9th gen. And if this 8th gen is as good as I am hearing 'under the table', we will endure the wait in a happy frame of mind.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-21-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 PM

I felt sure you had to have a contact of some sort. Now the cat is out of the bag.

During the 2010-2012 period, I was thinking the 7th gen would run long because of the severe recession, when folks were not buying cars. But, based on your inside info, it seems Nissan had already decided to keep the 7th gen an extra few years. Then the new CVT gave trouble in the Altima, and we began to hear rumors of the Maxima's demise. Of course you and I knew Nissan was not going to give up on the Maxima.

Had their not been a recession, I would have shortened my guess as to the number of years the 7th gen would run, and you would probably have been the only person on the board to even be close to predicting such a long run of the 7th gen. In any event, your guess was always a year better than mine.

Based on what you are saying, instead of the 9th gen arriving at the most common interval of Maxima generations (4 years - 2020 model year), I suspect we both now feel it will probably be at least six years before we have the 9th gen. And if this 8th gen is as good as I am hearing 'under the table', we will endure the wait in a happy frame of mind.
Looking at the Previous Altima, it still had strongs sales it last to model years of is 6 model year run, current still does in its 3rd model year. If you build a decent product and keep it up to date as they did wit the Altima the payoff will be strong sales. A lot of mfg's are milking what they can out of a production run, hence we are seeing less and less Japanese cars on that old 4 or 5 year model cycle and going to a more European/American type run with longer runs.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:32 AM

Looking at the Previous Altima, it still had strongs sales it last to model years of is 6 model year run, current still does in its 3rd model year. If you build a decent product and keep it up to date as they did wit the Altima the payoff will be strong sales. A lot of mfg's are milking what they can out of a production run, hence we are seeing less and less Japanese cars on that old 4 or 5 year model cycle and going to a more European/American type run with longer runs.
I suppose Nissan made more updates during the long Altima gen run because that is their bread and butter profit maker. They try to sell at least 250K Altimas per year, with 300K a reasonable target. By contrast, they planned on only 70K Maximas per year, which makes it difficult to justify spending a lot of money on upgrades. I still think a little more effort should probably gone into the 2012 'half gen.' The Maxima was still selling well around where I live (I see 7th gens every time I leave my driveway now). But I think it may have lagged a little nationally by not keeping up with safety technology, etc, for the entire 7th gen run.

But I do love my 7th gen, which has been trouble-free for almost seven years. And I think it is a beautiful car.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Spoke to a guy today driving a preproduction model. No more camo, but not badges either. It was a platinum but you couldn't tell. Wheels were blacked our and grille was missing the Nissan badge. The guy has been serving it for a few months. It was one that went out to AZ on the test track. He said he loves it. Most refined Nissan to date. He said this and the new murano are really pushing the Infiniti guys to step up their game. He mentioned the stitched seats and how the design guys at Infiniti were complying they stole that from them and the Nissan designs guys mentioned maybe they needed to kick it up a notch.

Said its been a pleasure to drive. Way more tech than previous maximas. Said he is averaging 26-27 with the 300hp engine which is certainly more than I get in my 290 HP 2013 max. I get 24-25 but do mostly highway driving.

He thought it would be kind of controversial to offer the options, or lack of, the way they are. Thought that would change over time.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:11 AM

minarets - I have read of several driving tests on this board, and talked in person to two folks who have test driven the 2016 Maxima, and they have nothing but good things to say about this 8th gen. I must admit the two I talked to in person both work for Nissan, so keep that in mind.

The slight loss of weight, the slight increase in engine power, the redesign of over 60% of engine parts, the redesign of the CVT, etc, etc, seem to be adding up to a clear improvement in overall performance. And the improvement inside the cabin took my breath away. Everything inside this car seemed more like a $75K car than a $30 to $40K one.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-23-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 AM

minarets - I have read of several driving tests on this board, and talked in person to two folks who have test driven the 2016 Maxima, and they have nothing but good things to say about this 8th gen. I must admit the two I talked to in person both work for Nissan, so keep that in mind.

The slight loss of weight, the slight increase in engine power, the redesign of over 60% of engine parts, the redesign of the CVT, etc, etc, seem to be adding up to a clear improvement in overall performance. And the improvement inside the cabin took my breath away. Everything inside this car seemed more like a $75K car than a $30 to $40K one.
It seems that Nissan holding back the maxima for a little longer totally paid off! They took the extra time to nail the interior, exterior, performance, transmission, and engine. Haven't been this excited for the maxima since the 5th gen and this will be my first one, as I have always stuck with the altima, as the two were so close.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
It seems that Nissan holding back the maxima for a little longer totally paid off! They took the extra time to nail the interior, exterior, performance, transmission, and engine. Haven't been this excited for the maxima since the 5th gen and this will be my first one, as I have always stuck with the altima, as the two were so close.
It is good to know the days of having the Altima and Maxima sort of overlap are gone. There will no longer be any doubt as to where these two cars stand.

It is good that we seem to have a winner with this 8th gen, because poster MONTE has friends in the design department at Nissan who let him know six years ago that Nissan is moving to a situation where all vehicles will have longer generation life. We might not have a 9th gen Maxima before 2022 or 2023.

I am excited about the interior and exterior and engine changes and performance improvement. But I am most excited with this new CVT. In talking with drivers who have driven this new 8th gen, think this may be the CVT the industry has been reaching for these last few decades. I can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-24-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM

From what they tell me these look good in person.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
From what they tell me these look good in person.
Better than good, Chris. Within a week or two, these 8th gens will begin arriving at dealers. You need to find out when your dealer has one on his lot and check it out. I think seeing the car in person will impress you far more than internet photos. This 2016 Maxima has a 'presence' that is not readily transmitted in photos.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:04 AM

As soon as they hit the dealership near me I will be over there on a sunday, when the salesmen aren't there, so that I can really study every line and angle of the car!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:52 PM

i'm confused, so does the cvt shift like a normal transmission (simulates shifting)? i know you have to shift to Ds mode on the 7th generation to get simulated shifting (which work in such an odd way its sort of useless).

does it just start shifting automatically or does it have to be in sport mode? and does it eliminate the full throttle high revving that current cvt's make when you floor it?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
i'm confused, so does the cvt shift like a normal transmission (simulates shifting)? i know you have to shift to Ds mode on the 7th generation to get simulated shifting (which work in such an odd way its sort of useless).

does it just start shifting automatically or does it have to be in sport mode? and does it eliminate the full throttle high revving that current cvt's make when you floor it?
I will let someone who has driven this 8th gen, or someone who knows exactly how Nissan set this new CVT up answer your question. But I will say that I have talked personally with two folks who drive this 8th gen almost every day, with one who has driven it for just a few days, and I have read the driving test at the front of this thread, and the common theme is that this new CVT is much better than the one in the 7th gen.

I have the impression that the high revving is more associated with the Sport mode, where the driver wants instant, strong response, while the Normal mode is more associated with lower RPMs and the resultant higher fuel efficiency.

Beginning next Wednesday June 3rd, folks who test-drove this 8th gen by invitation will be permitted by Nissan to post their full opinions on public boards, so we will shortly be finding out a lot. Of course the 8th gens begin arriving at dealers around the same time.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-27-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM

thanks light. i will be checking the dealers in my area to see if i can get a test drive. i'm torn on the cvt transmission. i love it about 99% of the time as it's really easy to drive and super smooth, but some days when i'm feeling giddy, and want to pull out of my driveway in a hurry, i'd like to hear a nice engine vrooooom when i floor it (just to show off the vq a bit).

for the most part i'm pretty conservative on the road but when i do get aggressive and want to feel the 290 ponies, sometimes the cvt disappoints a bit. i tell people who drive my car that it's not like a regular auto and when you floor it you will not hear the engine rev as the gears changes. it took me a good two years to master how to maximize the performance and capabilities of my cvt so i do believe cvt's have great future potential.

if nissan loosens the reigns a bit and allow the cvt to be programmed to be more sporty and to operate like i think it has the potential to be, this new maxima is going to be sexy smooth and elegant when you want it to be, but a beast on the street when you feel like opening her up a bit.

just my hopes i guess.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
thanks light. i will be checking the dealers in my area to see if i can get a test drive. i'm torn on the cvt transmission. i love it about 99% of the time as it's really easy to drive and super smooth, but some days when i'm feeling giddy, and want to pull out of my driveway in a hurry, i'd like to hear a nice engine vrooooom when i floor it (just to show off the vq a bit).

for the most part i'm pretty conservative on the road but when i do get aggressive and want to feel the 290 ponies, sometimes the cvt disappoints a bit. i tell people who drive my car that it's not like a regular auto and when you floor it you will not hear the engine rev as the gears changes. it took me a good two years to master how to maximize the performance and capabilities of my cvt so i do believe cvt's have great future potential.

if nissan loosens the reigns a bit and allow the cvt to be programmed to be more sporty and to operate like i think it has the potential to be, this new maxima is going to be sexy smooth and elegant when you want it to be, but a beast on the street when you feel like opening her up a bit.

just my hopes i guess.
Unlike some of the virtually insane 'expectations' we see from posters here ('double the horsepower', 'RWD', etc, etc), your reasonable hopes actually have a realistic chance of being met with this 8th gen, thanks to the new 'Sport' button.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM

6/3 we shall see. i'm really excited.