8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Nissan Maxima SR Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 AM
IB Staff

2016 Nissan Maxima SR Review

The third generation Nissan Maxima from '88 - '94 was the first model to be marketed to North America as the 4 Door Sports Car. The "4DSC" title was featured on a decal in the window and gave warning that 190 hp was aimed in your direction. The 2016 Maxima proudly features the "4DSC" badge on the gear selector and within its head and tail lights. Since first being called the 4-door sports car the Maxima has gone through 5 different iterations and is down from peak sales nearing 100k annual units in 2002 to just above 50k in 2014. Today the market for large, front-wheel-drive sedans in general has cooled significantly and Nissan knows it. The most recent word from Pierre Loing, vice president of North American product planning, is that the plans for a new Maxima nearly hit the cutting room floor. "A lot of people assume it was a forgone conclusion that, of course we will continue with another Maxima," says Loing. "But frankly, the forgone conclusion at that moment was that there would not be another Maxima." So this 8th generation Maxima is out to prove if Nissan's longest-selling nameplate in the United States can forge ahead.

The decision to keep the Maxima alive was certainly helped by the reaction from the media and general public to the stunning Nissan Sport Sedan Concept last year. This radical new design language for the Nissan brand held true in the production sedan and the "energetic flow" design looks even better in person. The design team at Nissan spent some time with the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels to influence the updated Maxima. The blacked out A, B, and C-pillars help to create a "floating roof" design to mimic the canopy of a fighter jet. The jet inspired design moves inward as the seating position and dash layout echo a cockpit with easy access to console controls and the standard 8-inch touchscreen. The updated media system featured touch controls inspired by tablet devices where you can now swipe left to throw some display items to the instrument cluster in front of the driver. The SR model that I spent the most time inside featured Ascot leather-appointed seats with diamond-quilted Alcantara® inserts, Ascot leather-appointed steering wheel with Alcantara insert, paddle shifters, and aluminum sport pedals. The unique to Nissan "Zero Gravity" front seats are simply amazing and offer the perfect balance of supportive bolstering and comfort. As a whole the Maxima interior with the camel Alcantara on the steering and seats is by far the nicest interior of any Nissan I have ever driven and rivals finish and feel of the Gemman luxury marques. The liquid chrome trim in our car was a beautiful modern alternative to the typical wood or brushed metal trim you normally see.

Before the media set off in the Maxima several questions were addressed by the team at Nissan. The most common question was in regards to the CVT in a performance sedan and how it has been tuned to please customers desiring a "sportier feel." In my discussion with Vishnu Jayamohan, Product Planning and Strategy at Nissan NA, he ensured that the new Xtronic CVT with "sport-oriented tuning" would erase any questions regarding the performance flaws of a CVT. The new transmission features a wider ratio range to compete with the 7 and 8-speed automatic transmissions from the competition. When in "Sport" mode the transmission will auto-downshift on braking and consider factors such as cornering force. The system also includes D-Step shifting logic that allow rapid shifts at high throttle openings to ensure that the system works well while cornering at speed. The Maxima is the best selling V6 sedan in its class and the new sedan continues with a revised 3.5L V6. The updated VQ engines features 60% new parts including GTR-derived technology including sodium filled valves. The engine adds another 10 horsepower from the outgoing model to produce 300HP and identical toque numbers of 261 lb-ft. Behind the wheel you immediately notice the update in materials most often in contact with the driver. The camel colored Alcantara on the steering wheel and seats in our SR model was of quality you would often find in a much more expensive car. For the first time the Maxima features a Drive Mode Selector (Sport and Normal modes) that adjusts throttle response, transmission tuning, steering feel and Active Sound Enhancement tuning. We first set out in "Normal" mode as we tackled some back country roads in Franklin, TN. While in this setting the steering is extremely light and the Maxima is rather nimble as the updated chassis sheds 82 lbs to be lowest weight in class. I quickly switched to the "Sport" setting after 5 miles as the "Normal" steering setting was a bit too sensitive for my personal tastes. On the SR trim the "Sport" mode takes full potential of the unique suspension damper tuning, larger front stabilizer bar, and monotube rear dampers. The folks at Nissan ensured the media in attendance that there are no plans for an AWD Maxima and the latest FWD chassis is what they are committed to (If it works for the FWD 2015 Nissan GT-R LM NISMO then why not stick with it for the Maxima). 300 horsepower may be approaching the limits of usable power for a large front-wheel sedan. I am pleased to see Nissan didn't give in to adding more power for the sake of marketing as the Maxima is well balanced with the power on tap. Cornering on the roads south of Nashville the car really comes to life. Turn in and acceleration out of the corners is fluid and non-dramatic. The updated CVT is by far the best example of the transmission technology that I have ever driven and gone is the "running in sand" feeling you often get from most examples. Even with use of the paddle shifter the transmission simulates gear changes well and allows for more engaging control over the car. While in "Sport" mode the Active Sound Enhancement system amplifies the engine note in the cabin and does a great job and further enveloping the driver inside the "theater of driving." Any issues with understeer or torque steer are present only when truly driving the car at the limits and fluid driving input for acceleration and steering return direct and precise control. Overall, the 2016 Nissan Maxima is the best possible execution of the car and has enough handsome design and technology to help it compete in the market.

Name:  YV67ftc.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  975.3 KB
Name:  6sJZuqX.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  987.9 KB
Name:  jp6iwQG.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  922.5 KB
Name:  I9jFQJf.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  859.4 KB
Name:  C3uqygi.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1,001.0 KB
Name:  a9IVxnN.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  994.7 KB
Name:  KJyFyak.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  993.9 KB
Name:  YYpn8pI.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  1,002.3 KB
Name:  o1kOC3M.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  895.2 KB
Name:  ghj24MM.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  835.2 KB
Name:  OfdqxTB.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  896.0 KB
Name:  OHtWbKX.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  1,002.3 KB
Name:  TG3hh8o.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  997.5 KB
Name:  kpx1oen.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  909.8 KB

Luke Aker was also present to show off his restored 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE that has been highlighted across social media. See the video of the restoration and my pictures of the car below.

Watch this thread because we will have several items from Nissan to give away.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 AM
IB Staff

So for the first 8th Gen Giveaway we will give a user the book distributed to the media at the press event featuring various photos of the car and inspiration for the design.

First person to answer this question correctly will win the book. What year was the Nissan Maxima first designed in the US?

Name:  EAqXyU9.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  890.4 KB
Name:  mHZLDbz.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  950.9 KB
Name:  Bz5UfqA.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  916.9 KB
Name:  9tdAIOg.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  863.8 KB
Name:  7Uf7mcm.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  591.8 KB
Name:  46rhhUi.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  823.0 KB
Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM

1980 for the 1981 model year?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:46 AM

2004 model year which was the 6th gen A34. It went on sale in 2003 calendar year I believe.

I had an A32, I remember the A33's last year was 2003 model year.

Edit: Wait, you said designed? Hmm that is the A33 which debuted as a 2000MY in 1999.

Last edited by pocketrocket; 06-03-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=IB Nolan;9050698]So for the first 8th Gen Giveaway we will give a user the book distributed to the media at the press event featuring various photos of the car and inspiration for the design.

First person to answer this question correctly will win the book. What year was the Nissan Maxima first designed in the US?

1996-1997 in La Jolla, California

Last edited by MAX828; 06-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
2004 model year which was the 6th gen A34. It went on sale in 2003 calendar year I believe.

I had an A32, I remember the A33's last year was 2003 model year.

Edit: Wait, you said designed? Hmm that is the A33 which debuted as a 2000MY in 1999.
Correct. The A33 was designed in Nissan's La Jolla, California design studio for the 2000MY. That was the first US designed Maxima.

PM me your mailing information.

We have several 4DSC polo shirts and tons of other Nissan merch coming that we will give away. Just need to work with Dan and the team on more questions.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by IB Nolan
Correct. The A33 was designed in Nissan's La Jolla, California design studio for the 2000MY. That was the first US designed Maxima.

PM me your mailing information.

We have several 4DSC polo shirts and tons of other Nissan merch coming that we will give away. Just need to work with Dan and the team on more questions.
Didn't you ask, "What year was the Nissan Maxima first designed in the US?" ?
That was 1996-1997 not 2000.

"Introduced in May 1999, the 2000 model year Maxima (designated A33) was a refresh of the previous car, designed at Nissan's La Jolla, California design studio during 1996–1997 under Jerry Hirshberg."
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by MAX828
Didn't you ask What year was the Nissan Maxima first designed in the US?" ?
That was 1996-1997 not 2000.

"Introduced in May 1999, the 2000 model year Maxima (designated A33) was a refresh of the previous car, designed at Nissan's La Jolla, California design studio during 1996–1997 under Jerry Hirshberg."
I meant model year and should have been clearer. PM your information and I will make sure to send you one of the shirts from Nissan. I'll be clearer on the next question.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Why's the text in the initial post here like 10 feet wide?

I'm still incredulous that Nissan is plaguing these cars with CVT. A regular autogragic is bad enough. It gives me a mild panic attack realizing that in probably not even 10 years it'll be nearly impossible to get ANY new car with a manual transmission, not even an econobox.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
It gives me a mild panic attack realizing that in probably not even 10 years it'll be nearly impossible to get ANY new car with a manual transmission, not even an econobox.
Then I can't wait to see how you react in 25 years when human-driven cars are illegal on public roads.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by coasterswim
Then I can't wait to see how you react in 25 years when human-driven cars are illegal on public roads.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE

James, over the last seventy years, I have had to give up almost every favorite thing I had as a child. This is a process that has continued throughout my life. My favorite candy is gone. My favorite soda is gone. My favorite gas is gone. My favorite tires are gone. My life has been one long saga of losing things I really liked.

But I eventually realized that is the way things have always been. And it isn't all bad. I still remember my Dad outside on a very cold winter day using the hand crank stuck through the radiator to start his old car. Nobody would miss that.

We need to be flexible in life. If we aren't flexible, life will break us. No, I was not enthusiastic about the CVT back in the 1990s, but, having majored in geophysics, I had to accept that a tranny that never shifts, once perfected, will outperform a tranny that shifts. So I knew it was just a matter of time . . .

There will come a time when you will throw up your hands and sort of give up on the past and just roll with the punches. I think I went through that around age sixty. But even now, in my eighties, I still find I sometimes have to be drug, screaming and kicking, into the present. But life is what it is.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-04-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
James, over the last seventy years, I have had to give up almost every favorite thing I had as a child. This is a process that has continued throughout my life. My favorite candy is gone. My favorite soda is gone. My favorite gas is gone. My favorite tires are gone. My life has been one long saga of losing things I really liked.

But I eventually realized that is the way things have always been. And it isn't all bad. I still remember my Dad outside on a very cold winter day using the hand crank stuck through the radiator to start his old car. Nobody would miss that.

We need to be flexible in life. If we aren't flexible, life will break us. No, I was not enthusiastic about the CVT back in the 1990s, but, having majored in geophysics, I had to accept that a tranny that never shifts, once perfected, will outperform a tranny that shifts. So I knew it was just a matter of time . . .

There will come a time when you will throw up your hands and sort of give up on the past and just roll with the punches. I think I went through that around age sixty. But even now, in my eighties, I still find I sometimes have to be drug, screaming and kicking, into the present. But life is what it is.
We all need to come to realization that CVT's are here for a few Mfgs like Nissan in most of their family cars and others in their lower end cars. If Nissan current corporate would listen to some of the request that they ask of people what would you like in the Maxima, that poll was over whelmingly we want a traditional automatic, at least in the sports oriented SR. Most manufacturers are not going to CVT, some are sticking to traditional automatics. I don't want to hear they are going to 8 or 9 speed autos etc, does not matter its getting the job done efficiently. Traditional automatics are here to stay!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Found this new review of SR model.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Same review just uploaded to youtube this time. Which blue is that in this video?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
Same review just uploaded to youtube this time. Which blue is that in this video?
Pretty sure that is the conservative STORM BLUE (paint code RBD). The Deep Blue Pearl (paint code RAY) comes across as a very bright Electric Blue to me.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:15 PM

I like this blue. I stopped at a dealer today and checked out an unlocked SR in the parking lot. It was black with the camel interior. Very sharp car. I didn't think I would like black on this car but it looked real good. No spoiler, but I think I would prefer one.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was at the Nissan dealership today to test drive the maxima. I was looking at the SR model and advise that this model doesn't come with a sunroof. Something to do with the sensors above on the interior of the roof. If this is the case, when will this be added? As well as it only has one car charger in the center console?
Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 PM

It's too freaken expensive
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by johnsji1
I was at the Nissan dealership today to test drive the maxima. I was looking at the SR model and advise that this model doesn't come with a sunroof. Something to do with the sensors above on the interior of the roof. If this is the case, when will this be added? As well as it only has one car charger in the center console?
No sunroof in the SR is to retain structural rigidity since it's the "sporty" model. If they told you it had to do with something else they are wrong.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 PM

Drove an SR myself this afternoon...here are my thoughts:

So, I drove an 8th gen today after work. Two words: HOLY ****!!!!!

Drove a Pearl White SR, wonderful driving dynamics, although even in Sport mode I wish the tranny would "shift" to 2nd faster from a stop...it just held the revs high (6k or so). But when moving, it had all the torque and pep I wanted, even in normal mode. Turns are no problem, nice and tight, it was the SR so no body roll. Backup cam is nice, seating position is great, it is actually higher position than in my 99...I didn't feel like I was dropping down to the seat like I am in my 99. The SR at Magic Nissan had the Charcoal interior, the Alcantera is absolutely amazing! The stitching (blue/gray) contrasted very well with the interior. Not a huge fan of the little pillow like thing they call the top of the gauge cluster but oh well. LOL minor annoyance.

With the SR there's no sunroof, which sorts seems lacking, but there are rumors in 2017 there will be some type of sunroof.

Would get the Sport spoiler, the rear looks better with it. Also, I would vinyl wrap the top roof trim (above the beltline) for aesthetics, but overall the car looks gorgeous! It doesn't photograph nearly as well due to the lines, it seems "off" in pics.

Wheels: I prefer the SL 18" spider style rims, but the 19s on the SR are good too...gunmetallic color which is nice.

Sat in the backseat of a Platinum with the pano sunroof, and was surprised at the LACK of headroom...I'm 5'11" and the top of my head was almost touching the headliner back there.

Other than that, realistically Nissan hit it OUT OF THE PARK with the new 8th gen max IMO.

I wanted to love this car, and so far I do. Looking forward to fulfilling my 5 year plan and picking up a 2017/2018 lease return
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM

Yes...it only has the one 12V charger in the center console. However...it does have 2 powered USB ports in front of the cup holders.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 PM

As well as it only has one car charger in the center console?
there is only one 12V outlet in the center console by the driver's elbow, but the SR I drove has two USB ports in the cubby in front of the shifter...which charge too.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by george__
It's too freaken expensive
Get over yourself, George.

It's a brand new car that easily competes with vehicles in the same and higher classes, at higher prices.