8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by marysh
I would like to post the noise my 2016 SR has been making each time the temp is below 50-60 degrees. This might help determine which of us are talking about the same noise. I am going to start calling my noise clattering. It is loud and obnoxious coming from the driver side rear. I hope the video works.
that is the exact same noise I hear on my 2016 SR. It does it in any temp now about 80 degrees here the other day. At least for now it only does it on certain uneven streets. Very quite on Highway.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by myaeger18
Freddy - did you use the actual foam version or the rubber like version? And what thickness did you buy? I've thought about this solution myself, but haven't had the time to test it out. I'm glad it's worked for you. There is hope for the rest of us!

Marc
Sorry Marc,

Been so out of the loop with this forum. I bought the actual foam material. I cant remember the exact thickness but was on the thicker side, maybe 3/4"
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just getting back from dealer, they said the clicking noise is coming from the right rear seat belt retractor. Confirmed and reported to Nissan.
When they have a verified solution or next time I have an oil change they should be able to eliminate the noise.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Update on the obnoxious noise I have dealt with for over two years and posted the sound a while back. We are working with an independent shop since Nissan won’t do anything else.
Noise was coming from the rear driver side. Took that shock off and drove it, noise went away. Bought a new Nissan shock, put it one rear driver side, made noise. Took it off, noise gone. Flip flopped shocks from driver to the passenger. Guess what, the noise is now on the rear passenger side! It is obviously a shock issue. Not sure what to do next.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seems very logical that it's the shock. My car, driver's side, creaks, sounds like a an old bridge or a Geiger Counter, especially when going over uneven surfaces, humps and rises, to where the left front is higher than the right rear, then the front goes lower than the rear of the car as the four wheels navigate the rise. It really creaks when leaving the driveway to the street. Stress is placed on the rear suspension in a force different than the front which has to deal with steering. There probably is a weakness/defect in the shock or on the connecting points. I checked the tightening of those. They are tight. It's sounds like they creak due to stress of a stiffer suspension than the Altima which is the platform of the Maxima.

I have given up. My guess is to same some money and replace the shocks with a quality type. Wouldn't hurt - especially after the warranty is out. Nissan won't replace the shocks/struts with anything but theirs.

My guess is that you have found the source. I hope so. Part of me still believes it creaks where the unibody is attached to the rear shelf and the panel behind the rear seats. Just another guess.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I realize that your last post on this issue was over a year ago, but I had the same issue. If you still have the annoying clanking noise, have your service department replace the shock mounts on both shocks in the rear. This fixed it for me.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Traded it

The dealer progressively replaced both rear shocks, the rear control arm and also found some weak welding points in the strut towers that needed rewelding. That still didn’t resolve the continual clunking. I eventually became so irritated I traded the Maxima for an Avalon.

The Avalon is extremely quiet and smooth and while it doesn’t quite have the power of the Maxima it still performs extremely well. So pleased I made the trade.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima350
The dealer progressively replaced both rear shocks, the rear control arm and also found some weak welding points in the strut towers that needed rewelding. That still didn’t resolve the continual clunking. I eventually became so irritated I traded the Maxima for an Avalon.

The Avalon is extremely quiet and smooth and while it doesn’t quite have the power of the Maxima it still performs extremely well. So pleased I made the trade.
Sorry you had to resort to trading the car but you did give it a fair shot in chasing the noise. This is however an isolated issue that sadly fell in your lap. Hope the Avalon works for you.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Traded it

It is unfortunate however I had spent countless hours riding in the trunk trying to find the clunk. I isolated every cable, tightened every bolt, insulated the parcel shelf, tightened the trunk lid and hinges, removed the spare tire, trunk interior panels, back seats and even insulated the plastic panels under the rear of the car trying to fund the noises. Nissan came out with a TSB describing rear suspension work to address this but it didn’t help. The dealer really tried their best.
This is the only Nissan I’ve ever had problems with. I previously had 4 Maximas and an Altima and my kids had Sentras and Versas. I think Nissan dropped the ball on the new design.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima350
It is unfortunate however I had spent countless hours riding in the trunk trying to find the clunk. I isolated every cable, tightened every bolt, insulated the parcel shelf, tightened the trunk lid and hinges, removed the spare tire, trunk interior panels, back seats and even insulated the plastic panels under the rear of the car trying to fund the noises. Nissan came out with a TSB describing rear suspension work to address this but it didn’t help. The dealer really tried their best.
This is the only Nissan I’ve ever had problems with. I previously had 4 Maximas and an Altima and my kids had Sentras and Versas. I think Nissan dropped the ball on the new design.
It's the trunk balance rods.
In the 2019, there is (are?) plastic clips and the tension is a LOT higher (initially/when new) than the 2016-2018.
No clunk.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile Was the rear right shock--

Maxima SL 2018 12,000 miles, 15 months old.

I had the same sound described throughout this thread. I am sure my fix may not apply to everyone. I was certain it was right behind the rear seats in the plastic molding. The mechanic was immediately certain it was the shocks in some form. They found the cause, therefore replacing both shocks (only one was faulty), and the bushing was deformed. I attached a cut version of the invoice.

good luck, it was not a big issue, but very annoying, especially being a new vehicle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document 11.pdf (353.1 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Bobinyuma; 11-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bobinyuma
Maxima SL 2018 12,000 miles, 15 months old.

I had the same sound described throughout this thread. I am sure my fix may not apply to everyone. I was certain it was right behind the rear seats in the plastic molding. The mechanic was immediately certain it was the shocks in some form. They found the cause, therefore replacing both shocks (only one was faulty), and the bushing was deformed. I attached a cut version of the invoice.

good luck, it was not a big issue, but very annoying, especially being a new vehicle.
Thanks for your report! Also appreciate a look at the invoice. Glad it is fixed
Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Z11
Newbie - Just Registered

rear deck/rear window rattle solved, no parts needed

2017 SL Maxima, 46,000 miles, First post in the forum but I have been reading about this issue and attempted all mentioned solutions without success for the past 3 years, to be exact I had a rattle/vibration on the rear deck/ c pillar inside panels and rear window. only present when going over bumps and playing music with heavy bass, bottom line issue was with a piece of cardboard insulation inside the roof liner. 3 days ago I finally had given up and was getting ready to replaced the rear shocks as last resort, but before i took my tires off I started tapping in the rear deck area again, this time I also tap the rear part of the roof liner and I heard a rattle, stuck my hand inside the liner as there is a gap at the end of the liner where it meets the rear window, I felt a loose piece of cardboard, this piece runs from side to side inside the end of the roof liner, it was glued on one side but mostly unglued the rest of the way, it is heavy enough to cause a rattle, makes sense that being loose would hit the top of the rear window which resonated in the rear deck and side panels, I remove the cardboard piece which is about 3mm thick and 1cm wide, took the car for a drive and the rattle is gone, thank goodness it was something simple and did not need any parts, this thing had been driving me crazy for the past 3 years, had taken it to the dealer twice but they did not find a solution, ended up replacing front suspension parts which did not make sense. in any case at least it may give someone a possible solution, photo of the piece of cardboard between the roof liner and rear window attached. now I am extremely happy to enjoy driving my car without the rattle annoyance. best of luck!

loose piece of cardboard insulation at end of roof liner where it meets rear window.

cardboard after removing it from the roof liner it is about a centimeter wide, 3mm thick and runs the length of the liner from side to side in the rear.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Wow, we appreciate your detective work and the pictures as well. Any idea what the cardboard was in there for in the 1st place? Unsure of how you got access to remove this. Do you have a sunroof?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Z11
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes have sunroof on the SL Trim, there is enough of a gap about 1 cm at the end of the roof liner where it meets the rear window, and it gives just enough without pulling too hard, I stuck my fingers in there and felt the loose piece of cardboard, I followed it from the loose side to the glued side (Left to right) then peeled it off, I did not have to go deep it sat within 1/2 inch of depth, as for its purpose could be to support the liner from future sagging (maybe) vs insulation. in any case my rattle is definitely gone. Will keep an eye for sagging but I do not see that as an issue for the next couple of years, if it becomes an issue I will glue a piece of wood or hard plastic if needed. I would say that if you have a similar rattle, lightly tap the end of the roof liner a few consecutive times if it rattles then it is probably the same issue I had.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Thanks. This is one of those gremlins that sometimes never gets caught. Well done!
Old 06-25-2020, 07:07 PM

I took it to the dealer under warranty and they changed the shock absorbers as per the work order , The noise is gone...
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same exact noise I have

Has there been a definite determination and fix to this issue?

I would like to post the noise my 2016 SR has been making each time the temp is below 50-60 degrees. This might help determine which of us are talking about the same noise. I am going to start calling my noise clattering. It is loud and obnoxious coming from the driver side rear. I hope the video works.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same exact noise I have

Has there been a definite determination and fix to this issue?

Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise in rear seat area 2016 maxima

The colder weather has arrived and my 2016 Maxima SR has the clicking noise coming from somewhere towards the back of the vehicle. The click occurs from normal road conditions, but little bumps or cracks in the road. It happens anytime it's below 55 degrees and gets louder and more frequent as the temperature drops. I noticed yesterday, the click is louder when the backseats have been laid flat.

I am hoping now that the cars have been our for a while, someone else may have the same issue with an answer. It is such an annoying noise!!
Anyone find that annoying noise on maxima rear seat area? Really annoying
Old 01-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear seat noise

Anyone find the stupid annoying noise in rear passenger seat area when going over certain bumps?
Old 01-28-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Parrish
Anyone find the stupid annoying noise in rear passenger seat area when going over certain bumps?
For mine, it was the rear shocks, Nissan replaced mine and reimbursed me for them
Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you ever come up with a solution to the noise in the rear of maxima?

[QUOTE=marysh;9136335]Jan. 2017...still working on a fix for this noise. It has been isolated to the links associated with the rear shocks. There has been a redesigned bolt that appeared to fix the issue for about 2 weeks. The noise is back. My service department has been amazing to work with
Old 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
For mine, it was the rear shocks, Nissan replaced mine and reimbursed me for them
How old was your car. I bought mine new but noise just started. Annoying as hell.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Long ago. My noise just started 5 yrs old with 35000. But did you have an annoying noise just over like a swell in the road to where tire would hop? Railroad tracks don't even do it? Any solution let me know!! TY
Old 02-26-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Parrish
How old was your car. I bought mine new but noise just started. Annoying as hell.
Uhh when I first noticed it, it was like 2 yr ~ 33000 miles? It was really evident when the back of the car travelled over sharp bumps in the road.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:55 PM

Yep, my 2017 SR makes the noise too, it has 30k , I just got a few weeks ago ( CPO) I hear it more in the morning then I do in the after noon.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I realize this is an old thread, just figured I might could help other people googling the same issue as I did before. If your rattling noise is far worse in cold weather then I can almost say for sure that your shock mounts are the issue. I can’t find the thread that I saw that on originally, but I had my doubts because to me the noise sounded like it was inside the interior, not anything to do with rear suspension. I purchased 2 new rear shock mounts for my ‘17 Platinum. When I installed them, I didn’t see anything at all visibly wrong with the old ones so I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but to my surprise I haven’t had a rattle since! I was so thankful to figure this out. Hopefully this will help someone else. I will put the link to the part I used below.

Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut-Mate 904985 Suspension Shock Mounting Kit
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-05-2024, 11:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by connerchilders
I realize this is an old thread, just figured I might could help other people googling the same issue as I did before. If your rattling noise is far worse in cold weather then I can almost say for sure that your shock mounts are the issue. I can’t find the thread that I saw that on originally, but I had my doubts because to me the noise sounded like it was inside the interior, not anything to do with rear suspension. I purchased 2 new rear shock mounts for my ‘17 Platinum. When I installed them, I didn’t see anything at all visibly wrong with the old ones so I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but to my surprise I haven’t had a rattle since! I was so thankful to figure this out. Hopefully this will help someone else. I will put the link to the part I used below.

Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut-Mate 904985 Suspension Shock Mounting Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYA3BE...BQ5SDXJD60NQGA
I have a 17 Maxima Platinum with the same problem that bagging noise coming from passenger side rear. Is the Monroe suspension shock mounting kit still working for you? Was thinking about purchasing this kit and giving it to my dealership when I bring it in to have the noise checked for the second time. I don't want them to give me any **** about how there's no fix for this problem. If you can please let me know if the banging problem has come back or is the banging noise gone for good with this kit.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Rich11801
I have a 17 Maxima Platinum with the same problem that bagging noise coming from passenger side rear. Is the Monroe suspension shock mounting kit still working for you? Was thinking about purchasing this kit and giving it to my dealership when I bring it in to have the noise checked for the second time. I don't want them to give me any **** about how there's no fix for this problem. If you can please let me know if the banging problem has come back or is the banging noise gone for good with this kit.
Yes, it’s still working great. Haven’t had any more issues at all.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by connerchilders
Yes, it’s still working great. Haven’t had any more issues at all.
thanks for your answer last time glad it's still working for you. Have another question is it just at the top of the strut that needs this kit to be installed or do you have to remove the whole shock to install the Kit, I have the tools and I am mechanically inclined to do the work myself just wondering how exactly the kit gets installed. Any instructions would be very helpful, thanks.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Found The Rattle (I think)

My rattle is back. I plan to find the amount I will be charged for Monroe kit to be put on my 2016 maxima. The clicking and rattling is so annoying. I will offer this. I climbed into the trunk and had my dry wife drive the car. With ear to the trunk floorboard, the clicking and rattling was so distinct, and it sounded like it was on the other side of the floorboard. I don’t recommend riding in the truck. Very claustrophobic situation.

By the way. Since you complained about the rattle before your warranty expired, your dealer has a record of it and I think that will extend the life of your warranty on this issue. Probably you will have to fight for your rights. I know that I am going to have to do that.

Last edited by Jim Carter; 02-22-2024 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Suggestion worked yesterday; dowsnt work today.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jim Carter
I climbed into the trunk and had my wife drive the car! Not a fun thing to do! It seems my car’s rattle was caused by the fiberboard support below trunk insulation. The fiberboard was tapping on the spare tire wheel well. Easy to fix.

No wonder I never heard the noise when we took trips – the rattle was prevented by weight of the suitcases. I took two old beach towels and put them just above the spare tire (between the fiberboard and the tire). While you’re at it, check your spare tire air pressure. My dealer never does this and the pressure was down to 30 psi.
Obnoxious rattling appears to be completely gone.

Just an extra comment: When you lift the fabric, insulation, and fiberboard off the tire, you may find a styrofoam block that was originally glued to the cardboard. If you ever had a flat tire and used the spare tire, there is more than an even chance the styrofoam came unglued.
Thanks for those suggestions I will definitely give what you said a shot before installing the bushing kit on both shocks because obviously it's much easier. I've never had to change the tire so never have had to take out the spare but definitely will check tire pressure on the spare thanks for that little bit info. The only thing that still doesn't make sense to me is it only does it when it's cold outside which leads me to believe that whatever crap bushings Nissan used at the top of the shocks gets really hard in cold weather and bangs at the top of the shock where the two nuts go on to fasten it to the body. After I try your trick I'll let you know if it works and maybe save some people some headaches. Thanks for the comment.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:10 PM

I've had the same rear noise in cold weather for seven winters. Drives me crazy!

My dealer chased it for awhile but now that my 2016 is out of warranty, they (understandably) can't continue to troubleshoot the problem for free.

Coincidentally, the headliner has come loose where it's attached above and on the sides of the rear window. (In my decades of car ownership...including some non-high end used models...I've never had a headliner detach and sag. The dealership wants $2000 for a complete replacement and my go-to body shop doesn't do interior repairs. There are YT videos that explain a fix using hobby glue...something I'd rather not take on, but...)

When I try and repair that in warmer weather, I'll also look for the headliner strip.

(In addition to the dealership's efforts, I've checked rear seat locks, spare tire & tools area, truck license plate holder, rear undercarriage, trunk latch, etc. All to no avail. I love my Max and the clunk and detached headliner make it seem like an actual clunker/junker.)

I'll check the headliner strip when it gets warmer.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by EdOz
I've had the same rear noise in cold weather for seven winters. Drives me crazy!

My dealer chased it for awhile but now that my 2016 is out of warranty, they (understandably) can't continue to troubleshoot the problem for free.

Coincidentally, the headliner has come loose where it's attached above and on the sides of the rear window. (In my decades of car ownership...including some non-high end used models...I've never had a headliner detach and sag. The dealership wants $2000 for a complete replacement and my go-to body shop doesn't do interior repairs. There are YT videos that explain a fix using hobby glue...something I'd rather not take on, but...)

When I try and repair that in warmer weather, I'll also look for the headliner strip.

(In addition to the dealership's efforts, I've checked rear seat locks, spare tire & tools area, truck license plate holder, rear undercarriage, trunk latch, etc. All to no avail. I love my Max and the clunk and detached headliner make it seem like an actual clunker/junker.)

I'll check the headliner strip when it gets warmer.
Drives me crazy also. Little backstory on my 2017 Maxima Platinum, my father first lease the car back in 2017 when his lease was up in 2020 I was in a bad car accident, was rear-ended, so I decided to buy out his lease there was only 12,000 miles on the car. Seem like a good deal at the time, maintenance was kept up my father drives like an old man because he is one and the car was kept in the garage. When I got the car I did not know I was going to have to have a couple surgeries because of the car accident I was in and I was not going to be able to drive the car all that much. I was able to drive it enough to know that there are problems, one of those problems being the banging noise coming from the rear drivers side of the car, mostly when it's cold outside. Now other problems are popping up like the passenger side mirror that shakes while I'm at highway speed. I found a thread on this forum that mentions that this problem is not just on my car seems to be a problem on other people's cars as well. Haven't had a problem with my headliner yet but like I said I haven't had a chance to drive it all that much, I just turned 19,000 miles as of February 20th 2024. I do have the extended warranty on this car until 2026 and I plan on bringing it into the dealership to have them take a look at the mirror because it's just as annoying as the banging noise from the rear of the car. I purchased the bushing kit that people recommend in this thread and will give that to them at the dealership for them to install if they don't do it I will have to but I figured I'll have them try to do it first and try to save me the trouble. I wish I could say I still love this car but with all the problems with just 19,000 miles I can't say I love the car anymore. That's not even bringing into account how you have to worry about the CVT and the maintenance and cost to keep that working properly and then it might still crap out on you. I drive my father's Lexus and it's night and day and before I get killed for saying that I get it they're two totally different cars and two totally different price ranges but it's not like I haven't been loyal to Nissan had one since I was in high school starting with a 1986 200SX then in 3.5 Altima SE now a Maxima Platinum they just keep getting worse, yeah I had a couple POS in between those years but I've always been loyal to Nissan but not anymore.