8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by marysh View Post
I would like to post the noise my 2016 SR has been making each time the temp is below 50-60 degrees. This might help determine which of us are talking about the same noise. I am going to start calling my noise clattering. It is loud and obnoxious coming from the driver side rear. I hope the video works.
that is the exact same noise I hear on my 2016 SR. It does it in any temp now about 80 degrees here the other day. At least for now it only does it on certain uneven streets. Very quite on Highway.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by myaeger18 View Post
Freddy - did you use the actual foam version or the rubber like version? And what thickness did you buy? I've thought about this solution myself, but haven't had the time to test it out. I'm glad it's worked for you. There is hope for the rest of us!

Marc
Sorry Marc,

Been so out of the loop with this forum. I bought the actual foam material. I cant remember the exact thickness but was on the thicker side, maybe 3/4"
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just getting back from dealer, they said the clicking noise is coming from the right rear seat belt retractor. Confirmed and reported to Nissan.
When they have a verified solution or next time I have an oil change they should be able to eliminate the noise.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Update on the obnoxious noise I have dealt with for over two years and posted the sound a while back. We are working with an independent shop since Nissan won’t do anything else.
Noise was coming from the rear driver side. Took that shock off and drove it, noise went away. Bought a new Nissan shock, put it one rear driver side, made noise. Took it off, noise gone. Flip flopped shocks from driver to the passenger. Guess what, the noise is now on the rear passenger side! It is obviously a shock issue. Not sure what to do next.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seems very logical that it's the shock. My car, driver's side, creaks, sounds like a an old bridge or a Geiger Counter, especially when going over uneven surfaces, humps and rises, to where the left front is higher than the right rear, then the front goes lower than the rear of the car as the four wheels navigate the rise. It really creaks when leaving the driveway to the street. Stress is placed on the rear suspension in a force different than the front which has to deal with steering. There probably is a weakness/defect in the shock or on the connecting points. I checked the tightening of those. They are tight. It's sounds like they creak due to stress of a stiffer suspension than the Altima which is the platform of the Maxima.

I have given up. My guess is to same some money and replace the shocks with a quality type. Wouldn't hurt - especially after the warranty is out. Nissan won't replace the shocks/struts with anything but theirs.

My guess is that you have found the source. I hope so. Part of me still believes it creaks where the unibody is attached to the rear shelf and the panel behind the rear seats. Just another guess.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I realize that your last post on this issue was over a year ago, but I had the same issue. If you still have the annoying clanking noise, have your service department replace the shock mounts on both shocks in the rear. This fixed it for me.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Traded it

The dealer progressively replaced both rear shocks, the rear control arm and also found some weak welding points in the strut towers that needed rewelding. That still didnít resolve the continual clunking. I eventually became so irritated I traded the Maxima for an Avalon.

The Avalon is extremely quiet and smooth and while it doesnít quite have the power of the Maxima it still performs extremely well. So pleased I made the trade.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima350 View Post
The dealer progressively replaced both rear shocks, the rear control arm and also found some weak welding points in the strut towers that needed rewelding. That still didn’t resolve the continual clunking. I eventually became so irritated I traded the Maxima for an Avalon.

The Avalon is extremely quiet and smooth and while it doesn’t quite have the power of the Maxima it still performs extremely well. So pleased I made the trade.
Sorry you had to resort to trading the car but you did give it a fair shot in chasing the noise. This is however an isolated issue that sadly fell in your lap. Hope the Avalon works for you.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Traded it

It is unfortunate however I had spent countless hours riding in the trunk trying to find the clunk. I isolated every cable, tightened every bolt, insulated the parcel shelf, tightened the trunk lid and hinges, removed the spare tire, trunk interior panels, back seats and even insulated the plastic panels under the rear of the car trying to fund the noises. Nissan came out with a TSB describing rear suspension work to address this but it didnít help. The dealer really tried their best.
This is the only Nissan Iíve ever had problems with. I previously had 4 Maximas and an Altima and my kids had Sentras and Versas. I think Nissan dropped the ball on the new design.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima350 View Post
It is unfortunate however I had spent countless hours riding in the trunk trying to find the clunk. I isolated every cable, tightened every bolt, insulated the parcel shelf, tightened the trunk lid and hinges, removed the spare tire, trunk interior panels, back seats and even insulated the plastic panels under the rear of the car trying to fund the noises. Nissan came out with a TSB describing rear suspension work to address this but it didnít help. The dealer really tried their best.
This is the only Nissan Iíve ever had problems with. I previously had 4 Maximas and an Altima and my kids had Sentras and Versas. I think Nissan dropped the ball on the new design.
It's the trunk balance rods.
In the 2019, there is (are?) plastic clips and the tension is a LOT higher (initially/when new) than the 2016-2018.
No clunk.