8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattle on gen 8 Maxima

From rattles to death:I’m having issues figuring this out so I apologize but the rattles need insulation between rear window shelf plastic and the bottom of the rear window. Also that lock rattles and should come out. That’s my next move. We shouldn’t have to calculate solutions for these noises. My car is 13-14 months old but had Moises since day 3 or 4 is when I noticed it’s annoying. I leased my car with considerations to buy out at end of lease. No way now. I would like to get another because I like everything about this car other than the rattles. I noticed the 2 spring rods under rear deck have tendencies to rattle so I rapped with electrical tape. Helps a little I guess.I get a cracking sound if bump is big enough or changing lanes over big bump.IF ANYONE GAS SIGGESTIONS , please pass them over. I think the area right above the right shoulder area of the passenger side rear is loudest noise. I never took off the side cover it looked st the seat belt mechanism. That could be the click. Didn’t any of their durability testing expose this. Come on, this is an ignored issue by NISSAN
Originally Posted by compyelc4
"It seems everyone that owns an 8th gen has some sort or "rattle, clunk, creak" noise coming from the rear of their car."

Not me and I have a '17SL. I usually get problems others get but in this case my car is quiet as a coffin. Drove it today in 5 degree temps, over some really bad expansion joints and only heard the tires clumping up and down. Lucky me.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 AM

As an owner of an SL since July 2015 I sympathize with all that have some kind of noise problem. But as for myself never had a problem.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM

I have had the same issues with my 17 SR. I had a rattle from the front passenger door. They fixed that issue on first visit. I had a rear deck rattle and it took 4 visits but they finally got it fixed. On the 3rd visit the tech and I went for a ride. He heard the rear deck rattle and determined the appropriate fix, however, it would take 3-4 hours to silence the rattle. So I had to set up another appointment. They removed the rear seats, rear parcel shelf and trim pieces. Installed felt tape and foam around the rear shelf and touching vehicle components. I am 100% satisfied with the repair as the rattle has been eliminated and I swear the bass sounds so much better. It sounded kinda shallow before and now it sounds much deeper. I think "rattledtodeath" is on the right track but if its under warranty. I would let the dealership do all the work. I'm lucky as Jackie Cooper in Tulsa has always treated me right. Anyway rattles are gone and the car is riding like a dream!!! The rattles were so bad I had to listen to sports talk radio as any type of music would sound horrible with the accompanying rattle. Back to Kendrick Lamar now!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM

Have had my new SL for just over 2 weeks now, and I've noticed an odd cracking sound seconds after I take off. It's only upon first starting the car, once I take off, it almost sounds like a stonechip hitting the windshield. Doesn't seem to happen again, until my next ride. I find it really odd in a brand new car. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:20 PM

It’s been -35C for a week so with that and our awful roads I have so many creaks, cracks, rattles and banging noises that most of you would probably have a heart attack or a stroke! . I haven’t washed it for months and it’s filthy, covered in dirt and slush inside and out. All part of living in Canada! It’s not worth trying to get them fixed as they’ll be back within a few weeks.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
It’s been -35C for a week so with that and our awful roads I have so many creaks, cracks, rattles and banging noises that most of you would probably have a heart attack or a stroke! . I haven’t washed it for months and it’s filthy, covered in dirt and slush inside and out. All part of living in Canada! It’s not worth trying to get them fixed as they’ll be back within a few weeks.
Had mine for less than 3 weeks and I've had it hand washed 3 times already. Weather here is awful this year, worst December I can remember in the last 30 years. I imagine it's only worse in Ottawa (went to school there and it was much colder and much more snow than we get in the Toronto area).

Just can't bear looking at her all nasty and dirty, imagining the salt eating away at the paint. Will probably bring her in for another wash if we get a clear day next week. But you're right, best you can hope for is a day or two, then she's a mess again.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:08 AM

There’s something about washing a car in -30C that scares me!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
There’s something about washing a car in -30C that scares me!
I hear ya. We have a car detailing shop in the underground garage at my office. They do a nice job cleaning and drying it off before it ever hits the cold.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AleBrew
Have had my new SL for just over 2 weeks now, and I've noticed an odd cracking sound seconds after I take off. It's only upon first starting the car, once I take off, it almost sounds like a stonechip hitting the windshield. Doesn't seem to happen again, until my next ride. I find it really odd in a brand new car. Anyone else experienced this?
My 16 Platinum's windshield has a slight creaking noise near the base of the w/s on the drivers side when the temperatures drop below 10 F for an extended period of time. It's about hte only time it will do this and maybe not worth the goose chase as it seems to go away once the car is warmed up.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Well unfortunately I got to admit I too have encountered the dreaded clunking sound in the back problem. It hasn't really annoyed me too much yet, But I hope I can either solve it or learn to live with it.

What is really weird is that it is very random, sometimes I'll hit a series of big bumps and it's perfectly quiet, the a little while later I hit a tiny bump and there's this big thump from the back. I hadn't noticed if it's weather related, but it doesn't get terribly cold where I live either. I'm not perceptive enough to really identify where in the back it's coming from either.

I guess I should be grateful that it's not constant like the incessant rattling that some of you have to deal with, but hopefully ill get to the bottom of it. If do go to the dealer with it, I think I'll print out a copy of your excellent suggestions and have them do a preemptive check of all those things at once.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2017 SL Platinum

Have the rear deck area pop/bump when I drive over cracks or bumps in the road. Taking mine in for warranty. There is a technical bulletin that addresses a rear area noise when hitting a bump NTB17-107. That's a repair on a suspension part I think, but knowing how difficult it is to find an actual cause for a noise, I'll start there. After I check the spare tire nut that is.

This happened with my 2009 Maxima SL, same type noise but that was a sunroof issue. TSB on that one too and my dealer fixed it. Hopefully this will be the same thing.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kendall89
Have the rear deck area pop/bump when I drive over cracks or bumps in the road. Taking mine in for warranty. There is a technical bulletin that addresses a rear area noise when hitting a bump NTB17-107. That's a repair on a suspension part I think, but knowing how difficult it is to find an actual cause for a noise, I'll start there. After I check the spare tire nut that is.

This happened with my 2009 Maxima SL, same type noise but that was a sunroof issue. TSB on that one too and my dealer fixed it. Hopefully this will be the same thing.
Well the dealer in my area has already performed the bulletin. They changed both rear sway bar end links and even the rear sway bar bushings but I still hear the same pop/clunk when going over small bumps or cracks in road. Let us know if it does any good to your car.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem

I have a 2017 Maxima SV. I purchased it less than 10 days ago and have noticed same clunk noise in rear area when going over bumps. Currently have about 400 miles so it’s a little concerning. I am calling the dealership at my earliest opportunity (Monday) in hopes that they have a fix. Although, after reading this thread it’s a little disheartening.

Last edited by StaplesMax; 01-05-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having this same rear 'rattle/vibration' noise issue as well on my brand new Platinum. I will use the tips suggested here to see if they help.

Originally Posted by 2017Max
I have just found another source of the "clunk, rattle, noise.
Lift the cover for the seat back lock on the rear shelf .Make sure the retaining ring around the lock is firmly installed.
It was an additional cause of the various noises.........
Have you had any issues since making all your mods?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

update

Originally Posted by kendall89

And update....of course the tech didn't hear the noise so I'll go back for a ride along. Temperature is my current thought though, it's been 0-25F here for like a month. The other day it was 60 and I heard nothing. I'll monitor that, but for right now I'm thinking based on experience with my other Maxima with the glass roof that it's the sunroof in the cold. We'll see
Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ravneetgill47
Well the dealer in my area has already performed the bulletin. They changed both rear sway bar end links and even the rear sway bar bushings but I still hear the same pop/clunk when going over small bumps or cracks in road. Let us know if it does any good to your car.
I had NTB17-107 applied to my Maxima yesterday replaced both stabilizer connecting rods/bushings, I still hear pop/clunk sounds from trunk.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM

The noise happens in cars without sunroofs.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattle in passenger back seat area

Originally Posted by marysh
The noise happens in cars without sunroofs.
I think I found my rattle problem!! I tied off the seat belt.I notoiced the rewind mechanism is the rattle above the right shoulder area of the passenger rear seat!! , so I pulled out the belt as tightly as I could and tied it off around the seat belt guide thingy.! This gets out any slip or lash back in that reminder. I left it like that for a month and drove to prove it works, until I went back to dealer and had them work this out with me. In that month, not a sound, fixed it!!They knew about the rattle since I had their most senior guy ride with me to acknowledge the rattle a month ago.Also the plastic covering the speakers rattled and vibrates so they are going to insulate that area. I had to stuff tea shirt material between glass and plastic to calm that down. They will fix all that since they have to pull the plastic out to fix the rattle anyway.TRY THIS OUT IF YOU HAVEN’t?? LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET THE SAME RESULTS?I am waiting for the part and oddly the noise hasn’t come back yet because we untied the seat belt to it’s normal position. I think it will start rattling, eventually but that only proves I found my rattle.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks for sharing with us the details about your fix.

With as many gismos and gadgets as the Max has, it's a wonder there are not more rattles. My friends, and most recently my Dad who rode with me have commented on how upscale the interior of this car is. So it's always a bit of a let down when squeaks and rattles break that illusion.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:44 PM

I would like to post the noise my 2016 SR has been making each time the temp is below 50-60 degrees. This might help determine which of us are talking about the same noise. I am going to start calling my noise clattering. It is loud and obnoxious coming from the driver side rear. I hope the video works.
Attached Files

Last edited by marysh; 01-27-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Yikes Marysh,

Yup the video works, and that noise is horrible.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM

Fishlet- Horrible is right! Does this same like the same noise coming from your car? What model do you own?

If anyone else has the same noise I posted on Jan. 27, PLEASE respond with the year and model of your Maxima. Only need to know for 2016 or newer.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by marysh
Fishlet- Horrible is right! Does this same like the same noise coming from your car? What model do you own?

If anyone else has the same noise I posted on Jan. 27, PLEASE respond with the year and model of your Maxima. Only need to know for 2016 or newer.

Thanks!
Hey Marysh,

Sorry, no mine isn't nearly that bad. In my case, it's just a clunk from the back area every so often when I hit a bump. What's weird is it can happen for the tiniest bump, but then I can hit a big bump a moment later and everything is perfectly quiet.

I have the Platinum, I'm sure the softer suspension helps prevent some of the grief that you SR owners are suffering with. At least your noise seeks loud and constant enough for the mechanic to have no trouble locating it.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:14 PM

Fishlet...long story that you can go back to the beginning of this thread and read. I won’t put everyone through my entire saga again. Let’s just say the mechanics have run out of ideas and Nissan won’t pay for anymore time to be spent on my car. They say it is charteristic for this model. I told Nissan Corp to strap one of their corporate people in the back seat and make them ride around for an hour and see if they still think it’s normal!
Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Ugghhh, very lame. Well I'm not sure what the next step is if corporate won't even help you out. Time to get a lawyer?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I went to a second dealership to see if they can figure out the problem with the rattle near center console and the popping/creaking from all the doors. I had a hunch that they might not be able to determine the cause and it apparently they could not, even after test driving the car with me. The thing that surprise me is the how Nissan handle the problem. When I contacted their Consumer Affair, they tried to contact the previous dealer that did some of the works and just reiterated what the dealer has found so far. Basically, they just scrubbed off and told me that at this point, the tech and the dealer confirmed that the sound was normal, they could not do anything else unless the tech could replicate the same situation. Now with the second dealership, they also could not do anything until their tech can replicate and determine the issue. The advisor from the second dealership just said that it was normal because of weather, plastic has to shrink/expand and that will make noise and that will happen to any car. I don't buy that thinking since I drove multiple cars with cheap plastic and they did not make those noise that I could consider annoying.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM

I have so many rattles and creaks I can't hear the ones at the back anymore!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:07 PM

Well hopefully things will improve a bit when warmer months roll around. For you folks in Canada I'm sure that's not very reassuring
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Well hopefully things will improve a bit when warmer months roll around. For you folks in Canada I'm sure that's not very reassuring
It's not like we live in igloos all year round man! The weather turns up here too!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by AleBrew
It's not like we live in igloos all year round man! The weather turns up here too!
When I used to live in Maine, not far from there... we used to say we had 3 seasons. Winter, Mud Season, and the 4th of July
Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem solved

Originally Posted by ravneetgill47
took back to dealer for a ride along, tech sat in back as I had one seat down to expose trunk. he too thought rear deck area, maybe suspension. He actually ended up replacing the rear shocks-said it sounded like something came loose in there. I now am NOISE FREE!

FYI I had previously:
put padding between amp and deck in trunk
checked seat belt tensioners
referenced the TSB on the sway bars
put foam tape between the deck and window

Good luck, hope it helps with your car. Nothing like noises to really ruin the new car experience
Old 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by buckmalone
2017 with 6K miles. I simply can't believe all the rattles and creaks this car has. Wife's Beetle (at less than half the price) sounds like a Rolls Royce encased in foam. This has been a very, very disappointing purchase. I wonder if Nissan simply skipped testing early cars at all. This car is basically an Altima, gussied-up. The sail panels between the roof and the fender; the creak and Geiger Counter sound from the trunk; the rear shelf rattle, and now, at highway speed, the sill panels both bang against all the doors on both sides. I have called Nissan. They don't seem to have a solution. Had car at dealer nearly a month. The dealer was told to "cut into the inner body by cutting spot welds" to see if the creaking can be found. Dealer said, nope. I said the same. I can't believe Nissan wanted to cut into a new car without having a clue as to what is wrong. What if they found nothing? I'd be stuck with a new car that's been operated on. Sad experience indeed.
Really weird, two cars, both 17's, entirely different. My Platinum has right at 9000 miles and not a peep out of it. No rattles, creaks or pops at all. Rattles just drive me nuts and I feel for those that didn't luck out and get a quiet one.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Sorry to hear about all the troubles. If it makes you feel any better, these folks with a 70k car have to deal with some of the same crap

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768

Seems like a lot of thought went into this Max, but engineering fell short when it came to figuring out where to place the gaps and padding. Hopefully with some more perseverance you'll get to the bottom of those issues once and for all.

Buck, this looks like your first post. A few folks here have had some success fixing their own rattles with minimal cost. Maybe you'll find something here works for you too.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Cool

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm bumping this thread.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced a rattle directly related to the sunshade (on the Platinum specifically). The last few days mine has started to have a slight rattle, but if I put the shade UP it is completely quiet. Confirmed a few times now, raising and lowering it. I don't want it up all the time, nights and cloudy days for example.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, and nothing appears to be visibly loose on the shade. Based on the angle it looks like it retracts into the roof of the trunk somewhere. Are there any things up there that I could reach in and see if they are in contact with the shade when it is retracted?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm bumping this thread.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced a rattle directly related to the sunshade (on the Platinum specifically). The last few days mine has started to have a slight rattle, but if I put the shade UP it is completely quiet. Confirmed a few times now, raising and lowering it. I don't want it up all the time, nights and cloudy days for example.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, and nothing appears to be visibly loose on the shade. Based on the angle it looks like it retracts into the roof of the trunk somewhere. Are there any things up there that I could reach in and see if they are in contact with the shade when it is retracted?
It may be a long shot but check to see if you are carrying glasses in the center storage area near the rear view mirror.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
It may be a long shot but check to see if you are carrying glasses in the center storage area near the rear view mirror.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention it is the rear power sunshade in this case. Thanks anyway
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Yes, mine rattles with the rear sunshade down, and it's quiet with the sunshade up. I think it just beats on the plastic lip around it. I'm planning on sticking a couple pieces of foam tape (the kind you use to insulate doors or windows in the house). Just enough for the upper frame of the shade to put a little bit of constant pressure on the plastic lip around it, when it's retracted.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
Yes, mine rattles with the rear sunshade down, and it's quiet with the sunshade up. I think it just beats on the plastic lip around it. I'm planning on sticking a couple pieces of foam tape (the kind you use to insulate doors or windows in the house). Just enough for the upper frame of the shade to put a little bit of constant pressure on the plastic lip around it, when it's retracted.
I can't quite tell if the sound is right there at the surface or down in the channel. It's almost a metallic sound instead of plastic in my case, but it's not very loud so it's hard to tell. You gave me an idea though, I'll try jamming something in there to put some lateral pressure on the shade and see if it goes away
Old 02-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Rattle solved!

Yup! That took care of the rattle/vibration. Two small pieces of foam.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.-img_3511_li.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
Yup! That took care of the rattle/vibration. Two small pieces of foam.
Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow and will post my review.

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.