Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle. (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/689093-2016-maxima-sl-rear-seating-area-rattle.html)

raywluce 08-30-2015 02:14 PM

2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.

My new Maxima only has 129 miles on it and has a rattle in the rest seating area. Maybe from area just behind rear seat head rests. Any ideas for cause or personal experience?

mrgooch 08-30-2015 02:21 PM

" rest seating area " What is this?

raywluce 08-30-2015 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrgooch (Post 9068904)
" rest seating area " What is this?

Back seats.

Gildarts 08-30-2015 04:22 PM

Have it check out. I have mine since 2 days ago, and don't hear any rattling at the back seats. I've been driving it around. Already has 200miles on it. Lol.

lightonthehill 08-30-2015 10:00 PM

There have been times in the past when my 'parcel shelf' (the area just behind the back seats) rattled. Once a speaker was loose. Once the high mounted brake light was vibrating against the rear window.

I will be very surprised if you can find the source of this rattle without another person involved; one to drive and one to sit in the back and handle everything until the source of the rattle is found. I rode in the trunk once to help a friend find a rattle - best not to do that on public roads.

raywluce 08-31-2015 07:09 AM

I believe I've isolated the rattle to the trunk lock located just behind the back seat passenger's seat head rest.

robtroxel 08-31-2015 02:39 PM

Keep us posted on this one. Thanks

1trkmax 09-03-2015 09:17 AM

Mine just started

Mine just started rattling 2 days ago, very annoying, it's going in for a front bumper alignment rocker panel re alignment passenger mirror replacement driver seat bladder issue. I'm up my service advisors *** I've owned to many nissans and I expect better fit issues than this!!

spidgeon 12-16-2015 08:08 AM

Wanted to revive this thread. I have a rattle on the rear deck behind back seat headrests. I believe it has something to do when the rear sunshade is up. Curious if anyone else's experiencing this, and if you had this fixed?

Nidalonso 12-27-2015 10:22 AM

Rattling

Originally Posted by spidgeon (Post 9086058)
Wanted to revive this thread. I have a rattle on the rear deck behind back seat headrests. I believe it has something to do when the rear sunshade is up. Curious if anyone else's experiencing this, and if you had this fixed?

Guys Mine (SR) 1300 km on, is making the same noise, specially on higher speeds, i believe it has something to do with the sunshade. Car is epic. I switched to SR after selling 2013 SLK 200AMG, (family is bigger now) we are 3 :)

robtroxel 12-28-2015 08:12 AM

Seems like the word "Epic" is everywhere these days. Glad you like your ride. No rattles in my Platinum so far (1500 miles)

marysh 01-20-2016 01:02 PM

Noises

My 2016 Maxima SR has an annoying loud clicking noise in cold temperatures coming from the back end when I go over bumps and cracks in the road. It also has the rattle coming from the back window shelf area. The speakers also rattle in the driver door panel and back shelf on songs with a little more bass than average songs.
My dealership is looking into the back window shelf are noise today, but couldn't replicate the clicking noise this time around. They do have another SR in the shop with two of the same noises and are working with Nissan Corporate techs on the clicking sound. I really like my Maxima, but the noises are driving me crazy!!

mpbclutch33 01-21-2016 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by marysh (Post 9091258)
My 2016 Maxima SR has an annoying loud clicking noise in cold temperatures coming from the back end when I go over bumps and cracks in the road. It also has the rattle coming from the back window shelf area. The speakers also rattle in the driver door panel and back shelf on songs with a little more bass than average songs.
My dealership is looking into the back window shelf are noise today, but couldn't replicate the clicking noise this time around. They do have another SR in the shop with two of the same noises and are working with Nissan Corporate techs on the clicking sound. I really like my Maxima, but the noises are driving me crazy!!

I got the same exact noises listed above! ugh. Driving me nuts. Report back.

slpgh 01-22-2016 07:06 AM

Interesting, my new SR (bought yesterday) has a clicking/creaking sound that appears to come from the driver console. Sounds like a geiger counter :(

Freddy Castro 01-26-2016 03:23 AM

I had this rattle from the rear deck knocking on the rear window because of the bass. My solution was to put a few strips of foam insulation used for doors and windows on both sides. Rattle is gone now and music sounds so much better. insulation can be bought at Home Depot or any hardware store.

robtroxel 01-26-2016 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy Castro (Post 9092155)
I had this rattle from the rear deck knocking on the rear window because of the bass. My solution was to put a few strips of foam insulation used for doors and windows on both sides. Rattle is gone now and music sounds so much better. insulation can be bought at Home Depot or any hardware store.

What an "Epic" fix! Thanks for the common sense approach

myaeger18 01-27-2016 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy Castro (Post 9092155)

Freddy - did you use the actual foam version or the rubber like version? And what thickness did you buy? I've thought about this solution myself, but haven't had the time to test it out. I'm glad it's worked for you. There is hope for the rest of us!

Marc

marysh 11-19-2016 08:20 AM

annoying click

The colder weather has arrived and my 2016 Maxima SR has the clicking noise coming from somewhere towards the back of the vehicle. The click occurs from normal road conditions, but little bumps or cracks in the road. It happens anytime it's below 55 degrees and gets louder and more frequent as the temperature drops. I noticed yesterday, the click is louder when the backseats have been laid flat.

I am hoping now that the cars have been our for a while, someone else may have the same issue with an answer. It is such an annoying noise!!

xydehead 11-20-2016 07:03 PM

I have isolated the sound. It is from the back plastic trim near the rear windshield, need to take my car dealer, I am on 550 miles :(.
Just tap that plastic trim, it makes a nasty ratting sound

Ambivalent 11-25-2016 12:58 AM

Click click click

I hear a click when I go over bumps near the middle console or front dash. Can't tell. It only does it when the car has warmed up. Can't stand it but don't want the dealer to disassemble everything and make things worse or create another problem.

BlakMaxiJoey 11-25-2016 10:27 AM

plastic shrink a little when colder; expand when warmer.
right?

Jaxson 11-29-2016 06:17 AM

FWIW, I have the same rear deck rattle as others here (on my 2016 Maxima SR), AND, even more annoying, is a cold weather "clicking" coming from the area of where the front dashboard meets the drivers side door. Have had the dealer look at this several times and finally they ordered a new piece of trim, yet to be installed. I am not optimistic, but we'll see what happens afterwards.

dochidalgo 11-29-2016 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ambivalent (Post 9132338)
I hear a click when I go over bumps near the middle console or front dash. Can't tell. It only does it when the car has warmed up. Can't stand it but don't want the dealer to disassemble everything and make things worse or create another problem.

Same in my 2016 SR.....the dealer service manager and the mechanic replaced (warranty) the front strut or shock absorber bearings, because they thought the noises had a suspension source there......the clicks remain.....next steps, according to them to disassemble part by part the front console...I do not accepted the procedure, I told them (same as you) is the right way to create another problem.....
I decided to wait until a service bulletin come up from Nissan or some Maxima owner find the exact source of the clicks & cracks .

Eric Malmed 12-01-2016 12:58 PM

I get the same issue when going over speed bumps....have you isolated/resolved the issue? Please let me know, thanks!

Eric Malmed 12-08-2016 07:23 AM

So, went to the stealership today and the loud noise when going over bumps or cracks in the road (for me at least) was a lose nut on the spare tire in the trunk (I never touched it so must've come from the factory that way). Hope you fix yours!

deandeanlo 01-01-2017 08:31 PM

2017 sr same problem

i have 2017 sr and have a same problem. it only rattles when hitting bump or potholes.

this is a 40 grand dollar car and little thing like this really annoys me.

i'm calling nissan to arrange check up soon.

hopefully it's the spare tire case as mentioned above.

Eric Malmed 01-03-2017 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by deandeanlo (Post 9135921)
i have 2017 sr and have a same problem. it only rattles when hitting bump or potholes.

this is a 40 grand dollar car and little thing like this really annoys me.

i'm calling nissan to arrange check up soon.

hopefully it's the spare tire case as mentioned above.

Please let me know! The tightening of the spare tire actually DIDN'T fix it as I first thought. This is so obnoxious on a $40k car.

deandeanlo 01-05-2017 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Malmed (Post 9136020)
Please let me know! The tightening of the spare tire actually DIDN'T fix it as I first thought. This is so obnoxious on a $40k car.

went to dealership today. Turns out its the rear speaker that was loose. They retorqued the speakers. I drove 10 miles after the fix. No more thudding noise. Hooray

Eric Malmed 01-05-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by deandeanlo (Post 9136245)
went to dealership today. Turns out its the rear speaker that was loose. They retorqued the speakers. I drove 10 miles after the fix. No more thudding noise. Hooray

Thanks! Was it the driver or passenger side speaker? Will check later tonight! :)

deandeanlo 01-05-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Malmed (Post 9136247)
Thanks! Was it the driver or passenger side speaker? Will check later tonight! :)

both sides!! I think they came as they are from the factory

MaxJoe75 01-05-2017 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by deandeanlo (Post 9136245)

Glad your problem was fixed!:D

robtroxel 01-06-2017 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxson (Post 9132724)
FWIW, I have the same rear deck rattle as others here (on my 2016 Maxima SR), AND, even more annoying, is a cold weather "clicking" coming from the area of where the front dashboard meets the drivers side door. Have had the dealer look at this several times and finally they ordered a new piece of trim, yet to be installed. I am not optimistic, but we'll see what happens afterwards.

In very cold weather below 12 degrees, the windshield actually makes a light clunking noise that appears to come from the lower left side. I heard it last winter as well but is goes away as things warm up. Not sure any cure is worth the hassle as the car is leased with 22 months to go.

marysh 01-06-2017 06:14 PM

Jan. 2017...still working on a fix for this noise. It has been isolated to the links associated with the rear shocks. There has been a redesigned bolt that appeared to fix the issue for about 2 weeks. The noise is back. My service department has been amazing to work with and are working hard with Nissan to get an answer.

marysh 01-07-2017 03:48 PM

SR Maxima noises

If you are hearing noises from the back end of any of your 2016 Maxima's, check all of the following items: Is your spare tire centered and screwed down tightly? Is the brake light hitting against the rear window? Are the rear speakers installed securely? Does the rear shelf need some foam padding to keep it from rattling? Does the rear side trim along the back windows need to be replaced because they are loose? All of these things needed to be done to my 2016 SR and we are finally noise free!

deandeanlo 01-08-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by marysh (Post 9136434)
If you are hearing noises from the back end of any of your 2016 Maxima's, check all of the following items: Is your spare tire centered and screwed down tightly? Is the brake light hitting against the rear window? Are the rear speakers installed securely? Does the rear shelf need some foam padding to keep it from rattling? Does the rear side trim along the back windows need to be replaced because they are loose? All of these things needed to be done to my 2016 SR and we are finally noise free!

the noise is back. Uhhhh

so frustrated. This is a 40 grand car with several minor defects.

Im heading back to the service center. This may well be due to rear shock issue.

I will keep you posted

marysh 01-08-2017 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by deandeanlo (Post 9136564)
the noise is back. Uhhhh

so frustrated. This is a 40 grand car with several minor defects.

Im heading back to the service center. This may well be due to rear shock issue.

I will keep you posted

The dealership replaced both rear sway bar links and nuts due to excessive play in rear links.

I hope you get yours fixed. Be sure to tighten the spare tire, too!

marysh 01-08-2017 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Malmed (Post 9136020)

Eric, you might have the dealership check the rear sway bar links for excessive play in the rear links.

Eric Malmed 01-12-2017 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by marysh (Post 9136568)
Eric, you might have the dealership check the rear sway bar links for excessive play in the rear links.

Awesome, thanks so much for the tips! I'm taking mine to the dealer next week! Let you know what happens ::crosses fingers::

mikeMF 02-26-2017 08:20 PM

my 2017 maxima SL makes a clunking noise going over small quick bumps. seems to come from left back passenger area or deck? worse when colder out.
dealer tried twice - no fix?

unreal2k1 03-07-2017 12:57 PM

I am having this same issue with my 2017 Platinum that only has 2800 miles on it and I have been hearing it since the first week when I bought it on December 19th of 2016. I will look at the places people pointed out and see if I can find it. I really do not want to have to go to the dealership for this unless I have too.

Thanks