8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mpbclutch33
I apparently got a bad batch of bulb connectors. I contacted TRS and they sent out replacements and all it good now. The kit appears to be great quality and I have had no issues since. And no warnings or resistors needed. Just the relay harness with the kit.
Thanks for the info! Once more question. TRS website has the option for H11A bulb or H11B bulb. Which one does our car need?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
Did they have moisture issues before you put in the JDM Astar bulbs?
They did not no. The seals are on the bulbs themselves. Theres two bulbs for each housing. I'm assuming it's just one of the bulbs but I'm not sure. So I'm thinking I may just need to take both of them out and re-insert to try and get a better seal.

Last edited by spidgeon; 10-14-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by spidgeon
They did not no. The seals are on the bulbs themselves. Theres two bulbs for each housing. I'm assuming it's just one of the bulbs but I'm not sure. So I'm thinking I may just need to take both of them out and re-insert to try and get a better seal.
H11B. and as far as the moisture in the fogs..... I took the fogs out for a couple days, used a heat gun, air compressor and let them air dry for about a day or two and then reinstalled. One is completely good, and one has just a little bit, barely noticeable. You could just reach up there and take off the vent caps for a couple days and see if that helps.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM

Did they have moisture issues before you put in the JDM Astar bulbs?
They did not. The seals are on the bulbs themselves...I guess at this point I'll have to take out, let things dry out and then try to re-insert to get a better forming seal.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM

They did not. The seals are on the bulbs themselves...I guess at this point I'll have to take out, let things dry out and then try to re-insert to get a better forming seal.
I wish I knew how mine were going to perform, but we haven't had any rain here since I installed them. I guess we will see. If you have any revelations, please let me know.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 AM

H11B. and as far as the moisture in the fogs..... I took the fogs out for a couple days, used a heat gun, air compressor and let them air dry for about a day or two and then reinstalled. One is completely good, and one has just a little bit, barely noticeable. You could just reach up there and take off the vent caps for a couple days and see if that helps.
These are h16's....I like the idea of the heat gun and compressor, I'll try that, thanks for info.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:27 PM

So I finally installed the HIDs with H11B, but I am not sure if thats correct. I have the negative line shadow when lit. Both bulbs have it and shadow is right in the middle and both bulbs are locked pretty well.

I am guessing you don't have any shadow or a line of darkness in the middle of the light.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:24 PM

I wish I knew how mine were going to perform, but we haven't had any rain here since I installed them. I guess we will see. If you have any revelations, please let me know.
It's been a couple of weeks since you posted this. I don't know what part of Texas you're in, but have you had any rain lately? Any moisture issues in the fogs? My bulbs came yesterday and I'm planning on installing them tomorrow. I'm still debating whether or not to use silicon on the gaskets as mpbclutch33 did. My motor head friend (owns a large auto parts company) says it's probably not necessary.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
It's been a couple of weeks since you posted this. I don't know what part of Texas you're in, but have you had any rain lately? Any moisture issues in the fogs? My bulbs came yesterday and I'm planning on installing them tomorrow. I'm still debating whether or not to use silicon on the gaskets as mpbclutch33 did. My motor head friend (owns a large auto parts company) says it's probably not necessary.
We finally had rain Thursday and Friday...like 9 inches of it. After my car sat out at work Thursday in the rain and then driving home in a deluge, there was no moisture in either fog light. After the car sat out in the rain at work Friday and then driving home in more heavy rain, I had some condensation in the driver's side fog light. Why, I don't know. The fit seems snug and I'm not certain that it's from the new bulbs because my car was never driven in the rain with the bulbs that came with the car. It doesn't make sense to me that it would just be one side having an issue. For all I know, it's a faulty seal on the fog light casing. So, I took the rubber gaskets off of the original bulbs and put them on the new bulbs. I also placed dielectric grease around the rubber gaskets to make sure of a good seal, though this didn't seem necessary. The problem now is the rain is gone, so I have no way of knowing the outcome. I suppose if it happens again, I will have to put the original bulbs back in to verify the source of the issue. Obviously, if it has condensation with the factory bulbs installed, the car will be going to the dealership to have the fog light replaced. That's all I have to offer until we have a lot of rain again.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:56 PM

mpbclutch33, spidgeon,

Any news on your fog light condensation issue?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM

On Saturday I spent about 30 mins with wife's hairdryer, trying to evaporate the moisture. Took the bulbs out first so there was a little bit of airflow in there. There's no way to hairdryer where the bulbs go in, so I pointed the dryer at the lens itself till the lens got pretty hot. After a time the water started to evaporate. Still, I could see a little puddle at the bottom of the lens which wasn't evaporating. I also discovered where the water was coming in. See pics below. You can see what appears to be water stains directly below the bulb on the reflector, I believe this is where the water came in. Prob from rain and my frequent car washes. Each bulb has three tabs on it to insert into the lens housing. It's important that you carefully lineup each of those three tabs to make sure each are in for a tight seal. After I evaporated everything on the surface of the lens I put the bulbs back in, however with water still at the very bottom of the lens, I had condensation again the next day. For me, unless I get all of the water evaporated at the bottom I will continue to have this issue. Would also recommend taking the bulbs out and letting things air out on their own. If you live in upstate NY like me when temps only get as high as 50, and go as low as 32, this is proves to be difficult.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Spidgeon,

That is exactly what mine looked like. It was beneath the "innermost" bulb on the driver's side fog light. Was that where yours was?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Each bulb has three tabs on it to insert into the lens housing. It's important that you carefully lineup each of those three tabs to make sure each are in for a tight seal.
Are you saying it may be a problem with the installation? I wonder what my dealer would say about installing them, and if that would still affect the warrantee.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Spidgeon,

That is exactly what mine looked like. It was beneath the "innermost" bulb on the driver's side fog light. Was that where yours was?
Yep that was the location.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Are you saying it may be a problem with the installation? I wonder what my dealer would say about installing them, and if that would still affect the warrantee.
Dealer shouldn't have any issue putting them in. Wouldn't void any warranty. I have to believe that this was my fault. The car supports 4 fog bulbs, and this one is the only one that gave me an issue. Process of elimation...either the bulb housing is defective, the seal around the bulb itself isn't good, or I didn't insert the bulb correctly. The standard halogens didn't give me this issue, so can't be housing. Again can only assume I inserted wrong.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Dealer shouldn't have any issue putting them in. Wouldn't void any warranty. I have to believe that this was my fault. The car supports 4 fog bulbs, and this one is the only one that gave me an issue. Process of elimation...either the bulb housing is defective, the seal around the bulb itself isn't good, or I didn't insert the bulb correctly. The standard halogens didn't give me this issue, so can't be housing. Again can only assume I inserted wrong.
I find it interesting that it was the same bulb location for both of us. I don't know what would be special about that location. I can only hope that removing it, replacing the gasket with the one from the stock bulb, and reinstalling it like I did will fix the problem. I guess I'll find out the next time I drive in the rain.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:55 PM

I find it interesting that it was the same bulb location for both of us. I don't know what would be special about that location. I can only hope that removing it, replacing the gasket with the one from the stock bulb, and reinstalling it like I did will fix the problem. I guess I'll find out the next time I drive in the rain.
It makes sense to use the stock gasket although for the price of these LEDs, you'd think they'd come with a high quality gasket (I've got the same ADMs you and others do). It's supposed to rain here all day tomorrow so I'll see if there is any condensation with the stock bulbs (since no one has answered my other thread - although maybe that just means there are no problems with the stock setup). I'm a little worried that I'll get frustrated trying to install them myself (without a hoist) and screw it up somehow - gouge a seal, bend a tab, miss getting one of the tabs in, etc. I may just have my dealer do it (if they will). Then if there are any moisture issues they should take car of it.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:35 PM

It makes sense to use the stock gasket although for the price of these LEDs, you'd think they'd come with a high quality gasket (I've got the same ADMs you and others do). It's supposed to rain here all day tomorrow so I'll see if there is any condensation with the stock bulbs (since no one has answered my other thread - although maybe that just means there are no problems with the stock setup). I'm a little worried that I'll get frustrated trying to install them myself (without a hoist) and screw it up somehow - gouge a seal, bend a tab, miss getting one of the tabs in, etc. I may just have my dealer do it (if they will). Then if there are any moisture issues they should take car of it.
What I did to test mine is I drove through every large pool of standing water I could find. I wanted to make sure the water sprayed way up into the undercarriage. Maybe you can try the same, providing it rains enough. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Just run it thru a carwash that does an undercarriage wash...should work.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:09 PM

No offense intended, but given all the trouble you've described, what is the reasoning / purpose behind messing with the stock lights? They seem very nice to me.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shmoopy
No offense intended, but given all the trouble you've described, what is the reasoning / purpose behind messing with the stock lights? They seem very nice to me.
For me, the motivation was that my SR has LED headlights, yet the fog lights are halogen. Therefore the headlights and DRLs are a white light, while the fog lights are a yellow light. I always drive with fogs on for increased visibility to other drivers at night. I found the difference in the lights to be unesthetic. Just one of my quirks. I can't understand why the fog lights aren't LED to begin with, especially on the Maximas that come with LED headlights. Changing out bulbs usually doesn't cause any issues. This is highly unusual. If necessary, I can always reinstall the halogens.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shmoopy
Mostly the color, but also the brightness.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 AM

Well an update from me........

As I stated before, I had the dealer replace both fogs due to the moisture. I got it back and put the LED's in. They got moisture that never fully went away. I took out the fogs for like 2-3 days, took out the bulbs and vent caps and used a heat gun and air compressor. There was no more moisture in it. I put the OEM bulbs in one side and LEDs in the other side let them sit outside overnight. (This is when I usually have the most moisture, in the mornings). Both lights seemed fine and sealed. I reinstalled them in the car and a couple days later, a little bit of moisture was in both fogs. Couple days later, a little more. Now its like I didn't do anything. I think the only thing to do is, take them out again, let them dry out AGAIN and install the OEM lights and leave them off. I like many others, hate the constrast of LED/HID headlights and Halogen Fogs. Wonder if anyone is willing to try different haolgen bulbs, like a yellow or something to see how that would work. If you are having moisture issues, take it to the dealer!!! The more cases of it being reported, maybe they will address it.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 AM

Well an update from me........

As I stated before, I had the dealer replace both fogs due to the moisture. I got it back and put the LED's in. They got moisture that never fully went away. I took out the fogs for like 2-3 days, took out the bulbs and vent caps and used a heat gun and air compressor. There was no more moisture in it. I put the OEM bulbs in one side and LEDs in the other side let them sit outside overnight. (This is when I usually have the most moisture, in the mornings). Both lights seemed fine and sealed. I reinstalled them in the car and a couple days later, a little bit of moisture was in both fogs. Couple days later, a little more. Now its like I didn't do anything. I think the only thing to do is, take them out again, let them dry out AGAIN and install the OEM lights and leave them off. I like many others, hate the constrast of LED/HID headlights and Halogen Fogs. Wonder if anyone is willing to try different haolgen bulbs, like a yellow or something to see how that would work. If you are having moisture issues, take it to the dealer!!! The more cases of it being reported, maybe they will address it.
Ugh. What a deal. If both fog lights have been replaced AND the light still gets moisture with the factory halogens installed, what the heck is going on? Since only one of mine had a moisture issue, it really makes me wonder if there is some defect in these lights. I wish now that I had driven mine in the rain with the factory halogens installed so I would know if it was going to be an issue to begin with. My car is garaged and not subjected to overnight moisture in the air, so I will have to wait until it rains again to see if mine is still going to be a problem. I will call a couple of service departments for dealerships in my area and ask for the service manager to see if it has been a complaint. I would suggest others do the same, then we can report back here with what the service departments say (assuming they are being truthful).

Last edited by doctorpullit; 10-27-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM

This is probably not a very good test, but I drove it this morning for about 20 miles in a light rain. My fogs have not been touched since it left the factory. When I got home, I had condensation on the inside of the lenses on both sides. It was on the very end of the lenses, toward the center of the car. Now, after sitting outside in a light drizzle, the condensation is gone. Both lenses are clear.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 AM

I just had another thought. If you changed the bulbs on a hot and humid day, and if you got a very tight seal, condensation would form as it cools. I would imagine that, for this reason, they are designed with a non-airtight seal to let the air circulate a little. So now the question is (for those of you who have installed the LEDs) how long does the moisture stay around?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Thats hard to say for me..... We have morning dew and now frost almost every morning and the fogs are full of moisture. It take at least a day or 2 to become mostly clear again. Wonder if you remove one of the vent caps what would happen?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 PM

I also replaced the fog lights and have moisture issues after driving in the rain. Now I'm debating on whether I should take it to the dealer with the LED bulbs in it or reinstall the OEM?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by KatsMax
I also replaced the fog lights and have moisture issues after driving in the rain. Now I'm debating on whether I should take it to the dealer with the LED bulbs in it or reinstall the OEM?
Might not be a bad idea to put halogens back in. They generate more heat and would evaporate the moisture quicker. I'm thinking of doing this myself to try and get rid of the moisture.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:16 PM

UPDATE: Went to dealership today. They are ordering / replacing the entire fog light lens that has moisture. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM

I installed my LED fog lights yesterday from JDM ASTAR to find out when I opened the package one of the bulbs contact prongs was short (half the length of the other prong). The three bulbs work but the other one that was defective did not. I don't have issues with moisture so far maybe because I live in Los Angeles.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have read different reviews on this forum about changing to LED Fog Lights. I decided to do some research and then do them myself. The dealer wanted to charge $169 for 1 hr of labor, I did it in 30 mins flat.
I ordered these from Amazon that another member recommended.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...a-ae354e75bef9

I also found a video that will help with accessing the fog lights.

About the condensation issue, my car had some condensation before I changed out the bulbs, so I dont believe changing the bulbs is the issue. Make sure you get H16 bulbs

Here are a few pictures of the final look and condensation.

Last edited by Freddy Castro; 12-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I noticed that while.putting in my HID kit into my SV thru the wheel well.. that the fogs are right there as well! AND Easily accessible.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the issue i found with the jdm astar bulbs was that the tabs werent locking nearly as tight as the stock bulbs into the fog light assembly, which was causing the leak
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Swapped the Kensun 55w 6000k H11 from my 2015 Mazda 6 I traded in.. looks nice in pucs.. not sure if my eyes are just used to the color output or if they're dimming some what after 11 months.. but they look nice.. doing the JDM Astars 1200Lm fogs tomorrow.. love the looks

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

By the way.. for all those asking.. went thru the wheel wells in about 15 mins per side.. you can also access the fogs from there as well
Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by lanre82
the issue i found with the jdm astar bulbs was that the tabs werent locking nearly as tight as the stock bulbs into the fog light assembly, which was causing the leak

I also installed the jdm astar 1200 bulbs and developed condensation. The dealer replaced both fog light assemblies. I am hesitant on reinstalling the jdm's even though I spent $52.97 on them. Did you find any others that were a better fit? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Maybe we should be having this conversation with the seller on Amazon about the bulbs not fitting tight and causing condensation.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KatsMax
I also installed the jdm astar 1200 bulbs and developed condensation. The dealer replaced both fog light assemblies. I am hesitant on reinstalling the jdm's even though I spent $52.97 on them. Did you find any others that were a better fit? Thanks.
Not yet, things got hectic and I gave up for now and am keeping stock bulbs until I have more time to mess with it.

The idea about contacting the Amazon seller is actually what I might try next.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:34 AM

for these h16's, i see two types of connection: straight and right angle.
which works better?

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?