8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL getting a new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Maxima SL getting a new transmission

This is the first Nissan that I have ever owned. I drove the car 2 days and then it started jerking at slow speeds. One time it was so bad I thought it was going to shut off in the middle of the road. I took it in to the dealer and and they put it on the computer and sure enough it has issues. Nissan sent engineers in to look at the car last week and I am getting a new transmission. Major let down when you haven't paid your first payment!

Last edited by Melissa40; 09-20-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:46 PM

That absolutely sucks and is inexcusable.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
That absolutely sucks and is inexcusable.
Agreed! I called Nissan Corporate and told them I wanted a new replacement. They said they don't do that but would start the buy back process. However, that doesn't mean they will buy it back. I'm sure they are waiting til I get the new CVT and then will see if I am satisfied. Surely I hope the new one will be better because I do love the car. However, Nissan will not be finished with me.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Melissa40
This is the first Nissan that I have ever owned. I drove the car 2 days and then it started jerking at slow speeds. One time it was so bad I thought it was going to shut off in the middle of the road. I took it in to the dealer and and they put it on the computer and sure enough it has issues. Nissan sent engineers in to look at the car last week and I am getting a new transmission. Major let down when you haven't paid your first payment!
Same issue the Pathfinder has had since 2013.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximam
Same issue the Pathfinder has had since 2013.
Has the transmission ever been replaced?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Has the transmission ever been replaced?
Many. It's common with the Pathfinder and Murano. I assume they share the same version of CVT. I am at 58,000 miles on my '13 (old CVT version) with my fingers crossed.

Here is some reading:

http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/...2&pp=25&page=2
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM

I have noticed the same low speed issue with my 2016 Platinum - how did you get the factory folks involved??
Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Wow! That is tough. I had absolutely zero issues with my 2009 Maxima CVT, which performed flawlessly for the almost seven years I had the car, and my 2016 Platinum CVT has been perfect so far. But after seeing this, I will be keeping my eyes (and ears) open.

My sympathy with your situation. With some issues, I would be hesitant to keep the car. But, if Nissan throws in a totally new CVT tranny, and it seems to work fine, I would tell them I would keep the car if they issued me a written 100,000 mile warranty on the CVT.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rbaker100
I have noticed the same low speed issue with my 2016 Platinum - how did you get the factory folks involved??
When I took the car in to get it checked the service manager called a Nissan Tech at corporate and talked to them about replacing the transmission because it wasn't fixable. Next thing I knew they called and told me to have the car there last Wednesday because the Nissan engineers were coming to look at it
Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Wow! That is tough. I had absolutely zero issues with my 2009 Maxima CVT, which performed flawlessly for the almost seven years I had the car, and my 2016 Platinum CVT has been perfect so far. But after seeing this, I will be keeping my eyes (and ears) open.

My sympathy with your situation. With some issues, I would be hesitant to keep the car. But, if Nissan throws in a totally new CVT tranny, and it seems to work fine, I would tell them I would keep the car if they issued me a written 100,000 mile warranty on the CVT.
I definitely want some type of warranty. I have lost all trust in Nissan at this point. I am just hoping the new CVT will be flawless.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 AM

This story is very worrisome when I consider the horrible experience of so many of the new generation owners of the Altima and Pathfinder in 2013. I followed those cvt 'shuddering' issues closely. Lots of CVT and torque converter replacements. Hopefully this story is a one off situation on the new Maxima. I suspect it is or we would be hearing about a lot more cvt problems. Warrants our close attention though.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Max2013
This story is very worrisome when I consider the horrible experience of so many of the new generation owners of the Altima and Pathfinder in 2013. I followed those cvt 'shuddering' issues closely. Lots of CVT and torque converter replacements. Hopefully this story is a one off situation on the new Maxima. I suspect it is or we would be hearing about a lot more cvt problems. Warrants our close attention though.
I totally agree - have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer for service install of accessories and will discuss the shutter issue with him and report back.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Just curious - at any time (other than starting) did the CVT light come on as a warning? Was there anything in the warnings listed from the drivers screen menu? Thanks for the reply...

Last edited by rbaker100; 09-21-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rbaker100
Just curious - at any time (other than starting) did the CVT light come on as a warning? Was there anything in the warnings listed from the drivers screen menu? Thanks for the reply...
There was never a warning light. Just jerking at slow speeds and there was also jerking at times when the car was slowing down from going a faster speed. I have never had a car with a CVT and wasn't aware of how they performed. After reading online about them I can understand they are somewhat different and I did like how the car felt when it was running "normal". Sadly, I have felt more jerking than normal though.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:04 PM

There was never a warning light. Just jerking at slow speeds and there was also jerking at times when the car was slowing down from going a faster speed. I have never had a car with a CVT and wasn't aware of how they performed. After reading online about them I can understand they are somewhat different and I did like how the car felt when it was running "normal". Sadly, I have felt more jerking than normal though.
Mine jerks when slowing down - will talk to the dealer tomorrow and post their response - thanks again!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is very worrisome to me. I'm just so disgusted because I love this car. My hopes are that I get it back with the new tranny and it runs great, as it should. I will definitely keep you all updated. I'm so glad I found this forum. It has really informed me of many things I wasn't aware of.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximam
Many. It's common with the Pathfinder and Murano. I assume they share the same version of CVT. I am at 58,000 miles on my '13 (old CVT version) with my fingers crossed.

Here is some reading:

http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/...2&pp=25&page=2
Thank you so much. I read for hours on these forums last night. I have become much more informed now
Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much. I read for hours on these forums last night. I have become much more informed now
Glad you find it beneficial - I used to be a Senior Member here years ago, but left after their server crashed - since then I have retired, but have not lost my love for the Max - it's good to be back on the "forum" - hope all works out for you - will post dealer's response after discussing the issue with them tomorrow...

Last edited by rbaker100; 09-21-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:09 PM

Hey LOTH congrats on the new car didn't realize you got yours!! Im still in the 09 7th generation myself- but hoping to get into the 2016 SL soon!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 PM

Nissan sending in engineers to look at the CVT raises some red flags.

If this was a one off, why would Nissan go to the trouble and expense of sending somebody to look at it?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jds22

If this was a one off, why would Nissan go to the trouble and expense of sending somebody to look at it?

Good question - in the JD Powers review Nissan said this about the totally new CVT in the 2016

The engine is paired with a new performance-tuned continuously variable transmission (CVT) with D-Step shift logic. Nissan says this CVT delivers greater standing-start acceleration and quick "shifts" when the car is driven with vigor. New shift logic detects high g-force cornering and holds engine revs for greater response out of a turn, Nissan says. Drivers can also select a Sport mode that, according to Nissan, quickens throttle response, sharpens transmission response, adds weight to the steering feel, and activates Active Sound Enhancement technology that amplifies the engine note within the cabin.

Guess we'll see...
Old 09-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jds22

I am sure they are very gunshy after the Altima and Pathfinder debacles. They absolutely would not want those issues with their flagship Maxima. I am glad to hear they are taking this seriously. Too often, early on in the other situations the response was "performing as designed"... Which was total BS.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 PM

That hurts to hear....I had been strongly debating between the Max and even '13+ Altima 3.5SV but just too many horror stories and simply the time delay of taking the car in, getting it looked at and (hopefully depending on mileage) getting it fixed without cost is not worth it to me, aside from the potential for injury or death if the CVT craps out in a dangerous traffic situation.

I hope the best for you Melissa!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy
That hurts to hear....I had been strongly debating between the Max and even '13+ Altima 3.5SV but just too many horror stories and simply the time delay of taking the car in, getting it looked at and (hopefully depending on mileage) getting it fixed without cost is not worth it to me, aside from the potential for injury or death if the CVT craps out in a dangerous traffic situation.

I wouldn't let this discourage you from pursuing the 16 Max - even with this issue, and it could be a one off, the MAX is WAY BETTER than a Buick LaCrosse - HA!!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 PM

I had no issues with my 2013 Altima 3.5 SL CVT in 20,000 miles and none so far in 3,000 mile on the Maxima Platinum. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
Hey LOTH congrats on the new car didn't realize you got yours!! Im still in the 09 7th generation myself- but hoping to get into the 2016 SL soon!
Thanks! I do love this 2016 Platinum. I can't imagine a luxury car having anything I needed that was not already on this car. My primary problem is cars coming up behind me on the freeway to my left, seeing my Maxima, then flanking me for miles gawking at my car. Creates a traffic blockage. Even my wife likes this new Maxima, and she is a harsh car critic indeed.

Yes, as I drove my old faithful '09 to the dealer to trade in, I felt great sadness. That was the only car I have ever owned that never once let me down. Never a problem. A perfect car. As I lay in bed that night, with my new '16 tucked safely in our garage, I wondered what my old Maxima thought about sitting out in the rain, deserted and alone. I loved that car.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 PM

Thanks! I do love this 2016 Platinum. I can't imagine a luxury car having anything I needed that was not already on this car. My primary problem is cars coming up behind me on the freeway to my left, seeing my Maxima, then flanking me for miles gawking at my car. Creates a traffic blockage. Even my wife likes this new Maxima, and she is a harsh car critic indeed.

Yes, as I drove my old faithful '09 to the dealer to trade in, I felt great sadness. That was the only car I have ever owned that never once let me down. Never a problem. A perfect car. As I lay in bed that night, with my new '16 tucked safely in our garage, I wondered what my old Maxima thought about sitting out in the rain, deserted and alone. I loved that car.
LOTH - am sure it missed your garage too - but as all things in life - moving on is a way to new and exciting adventures - enjoy the 16 and rest assured your 09 is in good hands - remember the fun and enjoy the new - best of all things to you and wifey in the future my friend!!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM

talk with nissan, tell them of your let down, see if they can give you a free extended warranty plan
Old 09-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maximum Performance
talk with nissan, tell them of your let down, see if they can give you a free extended warranty plan

Honda , err Acura was also sending out engineers during the release of their 8/9 speed trannys in the TLX, for any issues, and yes there were issues. They have a camera inspection system they used for the early build deliveries.
The way I see it, Nissan, is doing the same thing. They have a vested interest in your satisfaction and pulling out the defective CVT helps them understand the anomaly and get a durable fix. I hate it that you had the problem, it's the last thing you want in a new car. Not a bad idea to mention a "buy back" if it happens again and at the very least a 75 / 100 K CVT warranty. They did that back with some of the early CVTs on 09. Keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM

I am sure they are very gunshy after the Altima and Pathfinder debacles. They absolutely would not want those issues with their flagship Maxima. I am glad to hear they are taking this seriously. Too often, early on in the other situations the response was "performing as designed"... Which was total BS.
I discussed this with my dealer today - mine seems to be intermittent - not sure if it's the CVT or the downshifting of the engine braking system - drove it all day today and no issues - Dealer said to keep a record and let them know...
Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by niceguy

Thanks for the well wishes. Don't let my post discourage you if you want a beautiful new Maxima. . I honestly love the car. I'm just hoping the CVT that came in the car was just a rare bad apple and all will be great with the new one. Maybe I will know before this week is out. I was hoping to hear from the dealership today and they never called. Maybe they will call me tomorrow?!?!?!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. Don't let my post discourage you if you want a beautiful new Maxima. . I honestly love the car. I'm just hoping the CVT that came in the car was just a rare bad apple and all will be great with the new one. Maybe I will know before this week is out. I was hoping to hear from the dealership today and they never called. Maybe they will call me tomorrow?!?!?!
Glad that you are not letting this discourage you and realize that every manufacturer will have some lemons in the bunch, sorry it happened to you. I hope that they completely fix your issue or replace!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Any details on your deal that you would be willing to share? I have an 09 also probably with similar mileage, and I've had little luck making what i consider an acceptable deal thus far.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Any details on your deal that you would be willing to share? I have an 09 also probably with similar mileage, and I've had little luck making what i consider an acceptable deal thus far.
I just kept hitting them with the facts:

1 - I have dealt with no other dealer for over twenty years, even using them for tires, batteries, etc.

2 - I drove my first Nissan-Datsun product in Tokyo in 1959.

3 - I have owned nothing but Nissan-Datsun vehicles for 38 years.

4 - I have helped their techs debug problems with vehicles in the past.

5 - I allow my dealer to have his logo on the back of my always clean Maxima.

6 - I have sent several customers to my dealership in the past, and some bought vehicles.

7 - I know the dealership owner and he knows me.

8 - I am close friends with many folks at my dealership. That is to be expected, considering I go nowhere else.

9 - My 2009 was in immaculate condition with not a single ding, and with virtually new battery and tires.

10 - I spent well over $100 getting my '09 detailed the day before I brought it in. Sales Manager was impressed.

11 - I had neat wheel well molding, inconspicuous mud flaps, rain guards, etc, on my '09.

12 - My '09 had only 51K miles, had never been red-lined, and never used in commuting.

The key for me is that I want the dealer to make a reasonable profit, but not 'MSRP' reasonable. I tend to stick near invoice, reminding them that, because of holdbacks, etc, they don't actually pay that much for the car.

Every dealer is different, and sometimes the time of day or day of week or time of month or pressure to meet sales quotas, etc, make dealing either easier or harder. Persistance and willingness to keep walking away and then coming back later helps.

Unless the car is exactly what you want, sometimes just walking away and waiting for them to call you back works. It is usually easier to get a deal on a car that is sitting on their lot than on one that has to be shipped in or special ordered.

I always try to be positive, polite, friendly, but reluctant to improve my offer. Sometimes this can wear them down a tad. Good luck in finding the deal you are looking for.

Remember that places line AutoNation and even Costco also sell Maximas. Sometimes you can work that against the dealer, or even buy from such a place if your dealer won't deal.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-23-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM

I tend to stick near invoice, reminding them that, because of holdbacks, etc, they don't actually pay that much for the car.
Can you post your final numbers here to help everyone else out?: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...r-shopper.html
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 AM

I just kept hitting them with the facts:

1 - I have dealt with no other dealer for over twenty years, even using them for tires, batteries, etc.

2 - I drove my first Nissan-Datsun product in Tokyo in 1959.

3 - I have owned nothing but Nissan-Datsun vehicles for 38 years.

4 - I have helped their techs debug problems with vehicles in the past.

5 - I allow my dealer to have his logo on the back of my always clean Maxima.

6 - I have sent several customers to my dealership in the past, and some bought vehicles.

7 - I know the dealership owner and he knows me.

8 - I am close friends with many folks at my dealership. That is to be expected, considering I go nowhere else.

9 - My 2009 was in immaculate condition with not a single ding, and with virtually new battery and tires.

10 - I spent well over $100 getting my '09 detailed the day before I brought it in. Sales Manager was impressed.

11 - I had neat wheel well molding, inconspicuous mud flaps, rain guards, etc, on my '09.

12 - My '09 had only 51K miles, had never been red-lined, and never used in commuting.

The key for me is that I want the dealer to make a reasonable profit, but not 'MSRP' reasonable. I tend to stick near invoice, reminding them that, because of holdbacks, etc, they don't actually pay that much for the car.

Every dealer is different, and sometimes the time of day or day of week or time of month or pressure to meet sales quotas, etc, make dealing either easier or harder. Persistance and willingness to keep walking away and then coming back later helps.

Unless the car is exactly what you want, sometimes just walking away and waiting for them to call you back works. It is usually easier to get a deal on a car that is sitting on their lot than on one that has to be shipped in or special ordered.

I always try to be positive, polite, friendly, but reluctant to improve my offer. Sometimes this can wear them down a tad. Good luck in finding the deal you are looking for.

Remember that places line AutoNation and even Costco also sell Maximas. Sometimes you can work that against the dealer, or even buy from such a place if your dealer won't deal.
I have a few dings and i could use tires on my 09, but it only has 31k miles on it. it didnt seem to sway the first dealer i dealt with who treated it as if it had 85k miles on it. Did you at least get 14k for it? I was offered way less on my first visit.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM

I have a few dings and i could use tires on my 09, but it only has 31k miles on it. it didnt seem to sway the first dealer i dealt with who treated it as if it had 85k miles on it. Did you at least get 14k for it? I was offered way less on my first visit.
Yes, I got exactly $14K for my '09. I think I could have gotten more, but I had moved them down on the price of the 2016 to where they didn't feel I had left them room to go higher on my '09. I like to feel like I am getting a decent deal, but not so good that they will dread seeing me coming for my next Maxima. Unlike our current politicians, I tend to work WITH my dealer to reach a compromise that is good for both of us. That way, they appreciate me as a customer, and sometimes fix or do little things for me without charge. They have also given me Nissan and Datsun products which I enjoy wearing/using, offer me loaners when I am in for service, seem to service my car faster than they do some customers, etc.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by coasterswim
Can you post your final numbers here to help everyone else out?: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...r-shopper.html
I have planned to do that. It may be a day or two before I get around to it.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Back to the cvt tranny issue, I'm sorry to hear this story. I'm a new Nissan owner myself. I have no idea on how bad this could get. I do hope they can fix this as soon as possible. Keep us posted, as we are curious as to how this will progress.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Yes, I got exactly $14K for my '09. I think I could have gotten more, but I had moved them down on the price of the 2016 to where they didn't feel I had left them room to go higher on my '09. I like to feel like I am getting a decent deal, but not so good that they will dread seeing me coming for my next Maxima. Unlike our current politicians, I tend to work WITH my dealer to reach a compromise that is good for both of us. That way, they appreciate me as a customer, and sometimes fix or do little things for me without charge. They have also given me Nissan and Datsun products which I enjoy wearing/using, offer me loaners when I am in for service, seem to service my car faster than they do some customers, etc.
Well said - I have a similar relationship with my dealer - after buying 6 Maximas from them - 4 Altimas - 3 Sentras - and 3 Used cars from them they are more than happy to negotiate - feel that I got a great deal on my Platinum! Would do it again without a doubt!

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima SL getting a new transmission