Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Did anyone buy a lower model than Platinum? (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/690272-did-anyone-buy-lower-model-than-platinum.html)

MAXIE06SE 11-02-2015 06:34 PM

Did anyone buy a lower model than Platinum?

I bought the SL version because that is the only one my dealer had in stock and I got it a a very good price and I hate the wood trim in the Platinum version.

However it seems like everyone bought the Platinum now and I am started to regret not getting the Platinum..

Did anyone buy the S , SV , SL models?

mls277 11-02-2015 06:43 PM

I'm probably going to buy the SL myself. It's got way more options than my 7th gen sport with no tech that I paid too much for. I think its a great choice. I test drove the SL and thought it had all I need in terms of features. What color combo and accessories did you get? Im leaning toward white/charcoal.

MAXIE06SE 11-02-2015 06:50 PM

I bought SL Black on Black, it has interior lights and ground lighting as well.. It adds a nice touch to the car.

Jaxmax2016 11-02-2015 07:06 PM

I got the s model cause I didn't want leather and wanted bigger wheels than the 19's.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....f56195ea31.jpg

lightonthehill 11-03-2015 01:33 AM

I seem to recall only two S buyers here, but several SV buyers, even more SL buyers, and over a dozen SR buyers. But Platinum seems to be the most common.

mpbclutch33 11-03-2015 05:11 AM

SV Here.

ATDoel 11-03-2015 06:24 AM

I have a SV. I had a sunroof in my last car, it went out after 3 years costing me a lot of money to fix, I barely even used it. I honestly could barely tell the difference between the Bose speakers and the stock speakers, but I'm not an audiophile.

mrgooch 11-03-2015 06:44 AM

Sl

TonyMaximaSR 11-03-2015 08:05 AM

Sr...

robtroxel 11-03-2015 11:51 AM

SL is allot of bang for the buck. What options are you missing that are on the Platinum?

akin_t 11-03-2015 12:25 PM

Platinum doesn't really have any features over the SL though. I mean sure the Around View stuff is nice if you don't know how to park I guess.

mls277 11-03-2015 12:45 PM

Platinum has a few things- but the SL is really loaded options wise. More than any car I've ever owned.

Mike_TX 11-03-2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by akin_t (Post 9079812)
Platinum doesn't really have any features over the SL though. I mean sure the Around View stuff is nice if you don't know how to park I guess.

Mmmm ... well, there's also:

- LED headlights
- Auto-dimming and tilt-down outside mirrors
- Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Ventilated seats, with memory
- Rear-window sunshade
- Safety items (like moving object detection, etc.)

For me, the LED headlights alone would be worth the exra cost, since Nissan's halogens are so weak and yellowish that i hate them.

akin_t 11-03-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX (Post 9079817)

- LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear-window sunshade

For me, the LED headlights alone would be worth the exra cost, since Nissan's halogens are so weak and yellowish that i hate them.

You buy an entire trim for a user replaceable part? I mean, to each their own, but that's ludicrous to me.

Personally none of those things bring me any more comfort than the SL or even the SV. If you really want LED lowbeams, you can take it to any auto shop and ask them to put it in for you if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself.

I mean, they're just bulbs dude.

denormalize 11-03-2015 06:25 PM

I was originally looking at the SL because it was the lowest model with the Bose stereo and that was my one must have. Ended up going with the SR after test driving both. Still got the Bose system, but a sportier / stiffer ride.

lightonthehill 11-04-2015 01:40 AM

- LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear-window sunshade

And therein are the reasons I never considered any level but the Platinum.

I raise the rear window sunshade in April and lower it in September. Not only protects the upholstered top of the rear seat, but most of the parcel shelf. But the primary reason I use it is to keep the hottest sun off my three granddaughters who are often in the back seat.

I use the tilt-down outside mirrors to help me get closer to the curb withour scraping the expensive wheels. I like the auto-dimming outside mirrors, as my eyes are very sensitive to bright headlights. On freeway trips, I have had cars cruise behind me for miles, with their poorly adjusted fog lights (and even headlights) blinding me until I actually decide to slow down and force them to go on by.

A power tilt and telescoping steering wheel is a necessity for me, as my wife and I split the driving daily, and rotate often on longer trips, and that enables us to operate the memory seats system, which adjusts the steering wheel, the seats and the mirrors. We used that system daily for almost seven years in our 7th gen.

We also use the air conditioned seats during hot weather. We had those in my 7th gen, and used them often.

I really appreciate the many radars and sensors in my Platinum. Those who insinuate that 'real drivers shouldn't need such stuff' are barking at the moon. Anything that helps in these day of heavy traffic, tight parking spaces and totally unpredictable drivers all around us is absolutely a plus. I get warnings for a plethora of various situations, and pay close attention the each warning. Technology has advanced very far in my lifetime.

The SL is a fine car, and will please many drivers, but was never a consideration for my wife and I.

Mike_TX 11-04-2015 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by akin_t (Post 9079826)
You buy an entire trim for a user replaceable part? I mean, to each their own, but that's ludicrous to me.

Personally none of those things bring me any more comfort than the SL or even the SV. If you really want LED lowbeams, you can take it to any auto shop and ask them to put it in for you if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself.

I mean, they're just bulbs dude.

Um, no they're not just bulbs. The housing and lens have to be optimized to the LED bulbs so you get the correct beam pattern, etc. And if you try buying the whole headlight assemblies, you'll choke.

Jeyd87 11-04-2015 11:32 AM

Good afternoon fellas
I'm a new member and this is my firts post
I'm also new to the nissan family so I lease the model s my last car was a 2012 kia optima lx so personally this base model maxima brings a alot more than what any kia offers so I'm pretty happy with my new toy I saw what the other models bring and I'm still happy with my acquisition

KatsMax 11-04-2015 01:20 PM

I'm satisfied with my SR but would like to have memory seats that is on the platinum.

TonyMaximaSR 11-04-2015 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 9079927)
And therein are the reasons I never considered any level but the Platinum.

I raise the rear window sunshade in April and lower it in September. Not only protects the upholstered top of the rear seat, but most of the parcel shelf. But the primary reason I use it is to keep the hottest sun off my three granddaughters who are often in the back seat.

ever hear of tint?

I like the auto-dimming outside mirrors, as my eyes are very sensitive to bright headlights. On freeway trips, I have had cars cruise behind me for miles, with their poorly adjusted fog lights (and even headlights) blinding me until I actually decide to slow down and force them to go on by.
see my first response

rbaker100 11-04-2015 05:54 PM

- LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear-window sunshade

And don't forget the added Nissan Connect services only available on the Platinum version - have one and loving it...

RussA 11-05-2015 07:23 PM

Loving my SV. :D

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....fced417152.jpg

mls277 11-06-2015 07:47 PM

Heading out tomorrow to a couple nissan dealers. I should be able to buy and take delivery tomorrow if I go early enough right?

denormalize 11-06-2015 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 9080342)
I should be able to buy and take delivery tomorrow if I go early enough right?

Assuming they have the car you want on the lot, it should take about 2 hours... I went in at 6 pm and was out by 8.

Dano2016 11-07-2015 09:06 AM

Why Platinum

My daily commute is 100 miles, so the features that the platinum offers were important. Ventilated seats, sun roof, adaptive cruise, traffic alerts, blind spot warnings are things that I use for almost 2 hours everyday.

Charles-Antoine Pouliot 11-18-2015 08:37 AM

Love my SV

Sv!!

mls277 11-22-2015 10:17 AM

Looks like its going to be SL for me. Price finally where I want it. However the super black color is starting to appeal to me more- I was originally going pearl white or silver, but I like the stealth look of the super black. The only reason I never bought another black car is the fact that my 1996 chevy looked horrible after 1-2 years...but paint should be better by now right? Thoughts?

spidgeon 11-22-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 9082676)
Looks like its going to be SL for me. Price finally where I want it. However the super black color is starting to appeal to me more- I was originally going pearl white or silver, but I like the stealth look of the super black. The only reason I never bought another black car is the fact that my 1996 chevy looked horrible after 1-2 years...but paint should be better by now right? Thoughts?

All depends on how you take care of it. Keep it clean, waxed, etc, should be fine. I'm not a black car person myself...I think they get too dirty, too quickly. If I didn't have my blue pearl, I would have chosen the silver...That's just me tho. :)

mnmsnowbeast 11-22-2015 06:23 PM

Pearl white platinum here.

mls277 11-23-2015 06:52 PM

Anyone have a hard time deciding between premium spoiler or not? I can't decide which looks best with or without.

Max8 11-23-2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 9082906)
Anyone have a hard time deciding between premium spoiler or not? I can't decide which looks best with or without.

Without.

mls277 11-27-2015 07:14 PM

local dealer has 3500 off a couple platinums with the NMAC rebate and i have a 250 worth of nissan one to one points towards sales. they are black/cashmere which i didnt really want though but I'm basically getting the plat for the same price as the SL.

rbaker100 11-27-2015 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 9083431)
local dealer has 3500 off a couple platinums with the NMAC rebate and i have a 250 worth of nissan one to one points towards sales. they are black/cashmere which i didnt really want though but I'm basically getting the plat for the same price as the SL.

I would say go for it - you will love the extra features of the Platinum!! ENJOY your new ride!!