8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Accent lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Accent lights

I just bought a 2016 Platinum with the interior accent lights, but I don't know how to change the color, every time I push the button inside the center console it just turns on and off. How do I change the color?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM

There is a button below the on/off switch that cycles through the 20 colors...
Old 01-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got a 2017 Max Plat w/Medallion Pkg and thankfully I found this forum thread, because I was going crazy trying to find this thing. This switch is listed NOWHERE in the manuals, thanks Nissan. In the 2017, it is actual on the front side of the center console compartment. There is a rocker switch to turn on/off, and just underneath that rocker, is a button to cycle through changing the color selection. Boy - could they have made this a freaking setting on the dashboard along with the rest of the options.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by USP40GUY
I just got a 2017 Max Plat w/Medallion Pkg and thankfully I found this forum thread, because I was going crazy trying to find this thing. This switch is listed NOWHERE in the manuals, thanks Nissan. In the 2017, it is actual on the front side of the center console compartment. There is a rocker switch to turn on/off, and just underneath that rocker, is a button to cycle through changing the color selection. Boy - could they have made this a freaking setting on the dashboard along with the rest of the options.
Can you post a picture please? I have not found it yet...
Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 0107robin
Can you post a picture please? I have not found it yet...
Really no need to post a pic. It's very apparent because it's illuminated and can be seen clearly in the dark. Just open the lid to your armrest and look inside on the front wall where your USB plug-in is. It's lit up in white and says "On/Off" with the word "Color" underneath that. Just keep pushing the word color and it will scroll through all available options. No need to start the car.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
Really no need to post a pic. It's very apparent because it's illuminated and can be seen clearly in the dark. Just open the lid to your armrest and look inside on the front wall where your USB plug-in is. It's lit up in white and says "On/Off" with the word "Color" underneath that. Just keep pushing the word color and it will scroll through all available options. No need to start the car.
Thank you for replying Ed, you described it all perfectly.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Thank you for replying Ed, you described it all perfectly.
At first glance it seems like a wacky superficial option but I ordered it anyway. Turns out I actually think it's kind of cool to change the cabin lighting. I do agree they could not have hidden the controls any better. Bet a few of you might have the option but not know it was there.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
At first glance it seems like a wacky superficial option but I ordered it anyway. Turns out I actually think it's kind of cool to change the cabin lighting. I do agree they could not have hidden the controls any better. Bet a few of you might have the option but not know it was there.
I bet that's true. People probably filled their console with stuff and didn't know it was there. I just got the car Jan 2, and I knew the feature was there just going crazy trying to find out where the controls were located. I was plugging in every search word into the Owner Manual PDF for "accent", 20, color, interior, light...... you name it. Nissan doesn't have any documentation about where they concealed these switches. Not even in the Quick Start Guide either. But aside from the secluded location and lack of documentation about this feature, it seems it could have been controlled under one of the menu items under Settings much easier. Like, for example, when you pick which color car you want for your map?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM

I do recall getting a paper instruction sheet for this feature which was in the console. If I can find it, I will scan it up to you.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I do recall getting a paper instruction sheet for this feature which was in the console. If I can find it, I will scan it up to you.
​​​​​​​It might help the next person trying to locate this control. But now this thread may help as well. I'm fortunately all set but another user couldn't find his switch.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 PM

There is also the option to set the brightness for the panel illumination that sits just under the trim pieces on the doors and the dash. These are the plastic trim pieces that are the diamond cut pattern trim strips which have the metallic look, as in mine, or the wood pieces. There is a very mild illuminated light right underneath that trim piece that runs the length you can adjust the brightness on. It's subtle and can only be seen in the dark, barley. Have any of you noticed this?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 AM

There is also the option to set the brightness for the panel illumination that sits just under the trim pieces on the doors and the dash. These are the plastic trim pieces that are the diamond cut pattern trim strips which have the metallic look, as in mine, or the wood pieces. There is a very mild illuminated light right underneath that trim piece that runs the length you can adjust the brightness on. It's subtle and can only be seen in the dark, barley. Have any of you noticed this?
Yes, these trim lights have been mentioned here on rare occasion, but they are so subtle that most folks never know they are there.

As to the interior accent lights, they were on very few (less than 5%) of the early 2016 Maximas, and that was one reason I had trouble finding the exact Maxima I wanted. I finally found a Platinum (assembled Thursday, August 20, 1915) with the interior accent lights and underneath lights and had it shipped from seventy miles away.

The reason the manuals do not mention the interior accent lights is probably because they were not on many early 2016 Maximas. There was a nice card included in my manual package that gave full instructions on operating these lights, and gave the official Nissan name for each of the twenty colors. I enjoy playing with these colors, but this option is not nearly as useful as the underneath lights, which enable my wife and I to know what type of snake or steamy pile we are about to step on when exiting the car at night.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, these trim lights have been mentioned here on rare occasion, but they are so subtle that most folks never know they are there.

As to the interior accent lights, they were on very few (less than 5%) of the early 2016 Maximas, and that was one reason I had trouble finding the exact Maxima I wanted. I finally found a Platinum (assembled Thursday, August 20, 1915) with the interior accent lights and underneath lights and had it shipped from seventy miles away.

The reason the manuals do not mention the interior accent lights is probably because they were not on many early 2016 Maximas. There was a nice card included in my manual package that gave full instructions on operating these lights, and gave the official Nissan name for each of the twenty colors. I enjoy playing with these colors, but this option is not nearly as useful as the underneath lights, which enable my wife and I to know what type of snake or steamy pile we are about to step on when exiting the car at night.
I'm new to the forum, since I've just had my Maxima for 9 days (2017 Platinum with the Medallion Package in the Red with Cashmere). It is a lot of car-value $4$ compared to most other brands that run under $40K. And when you see the kind of thought that went into little niceties, like these programmable LED's, you appreciate the amount of engineering that goes into the Maxima. The dealership experience these days leaves you feeling violated and I'm sure the service experience will be comparable to it. The control needs to be documented in the manual; I hope the Nissan folks read these posts and use them to improve things for the owners.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:40 AM

I'm new to the forum, since I've just had my Maxima for 9 days (2017 Platinum with the Medallion Package in the Red with Cashmere). It is a lot of car-value $4$ compared to most other brands that run under $40K. And when you see the kind of thought that went into little niceties, like these programmable LED's, you appreciate the amount of engineering that goes into the Maxima. The dealership experience these days leaves you feeling violated and I'm sure the service experience will be comparable to it. The control needs to be documented in the manual; I hope the Nissan folks read these posts and use them to improve things for the owners.
I have been driving since the 1940s (yes, I am a very old fart), and the Nissan dealer I now have is by far the best dealer I have ever had. I have come to know many folks there personally, and they work very hard to please me. I actually look forward to trips to my dealer, and I never had that feeling with any other dealer. My dealer has a beautiful facility, lots of free snacks, including fruits and all kinds of beverages, a free movie theater, several TVs on different channels, lots of PCs for customer use, carefully cleans my car every time I'm there, never charges for small adjustments, gives me free Nissan shirts and caps, and checks everything on my car (including alignment and condition of oil, etc) every time I come in. It makes me sad to read that others here are not as fortunate with their dealer experience.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have been driving since the 1940s (yes, I am a very old fart), and the Nissan dealer I now have is by far the best dealer I have ever had. I have come to know many folks there personally, and they work very hard to please me. I actually look forward to trips to my dealer, and I never had that feeling with any other dealer. My dealer has a beautiful facility, lots of free snacks, including fruits and all kinds of beverages, a free movie theater, several TVs on different channels, lots of PCs for customer use, carefully cleans my car every time I'm there, never charges for small adjustments, gives me free Nissan shirts and caps, and checks everything on my car (including alignment and condition of oil, etc) every time I come in. It makes me sad to read that others here are not as fortunate with their dealer experience.
This is the way I feel about my Nissan Dealer, too. They're not perfect, but then again, nobody is. I don't do business with them because they are perfect. I'm also one not to cry about every nit-pickin thing. I've worked in and around the automotive industry for about 30 years on a national level, so I have seen the worst and the best of them. When you find a good one, stick with them. When the employees are treating you well and look happy, that typically means they are being treated well, also. Happy employees = low turnover. That's uncommon in the automotive industry.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Accent Lighting Reference Card

I found the accent lighting reference card that is supposed to come with the vehicle, for any of those interested.
Attached Files
Old 01-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I found the accent lighting reference card that is supposed to come with the vehicle, for any of those interested.
Thanks for locating this, as I managed to misplace my reference card. I did not realize there was a "Demo mode"
Old 01-27-2017, 05:25 AM

The lights sre nice, but why didnt they put any in the back seat foot area?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM

I did lol, and with the second set cup holder lights i put them to so i got 4 .
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do you adjust the brightness on the panel illumination under the trim pieces on the door and dash ?

thank you
Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dirkwellman
how do you adjust the brightness on the panel illumination under the trim pieces on the door and dash ?

thank you

You need to go into the settings menu on the instrument cluster accessed via the left side of the steering wheel. Use the arrows on the wheel to navigate to Settings > Vehicle Settings > Lighting > Accent Lighting and then slide the indicator all the way to the top, hi-lighting the + mark. To be honest, even the brightest level is still not that bright. I have mine set to the brightest level and it's still hard to see the light in the panels and dash very well. It does have to be very dark to see it. They could've enhanced that light to illuminate a bit brighter IMHO. The colored ambient lighting shows nicely. I keep mine set to blue. The door panel lighting stays a low level white.