8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Android Auto over Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 08:56 PM

Android Auto over Carplay

I've been using this device called AAWireless to run Android Auto wireless in my 2019 Maxima. One of thing things that irked me about my 2016 was it didn't support Android Auto at all. Recently AAWireless put out a beta update to add Carplay support.

In addition to just being able to use Carplay wireless you can now use Android Auto over Carplay with it. Out of curiosity I tested that today and sure enough my Maxima displays Android Auto but shows up as the Carplay icon in the Maxima.

If any of y'all are looking for a super easy way to add Android Auto support try this out. You can buy it on Amazon just in case it doesn't work on the 2016 head unit for some reason. Update it to version 3.0 and then go into the AAWireless device settings and toggle the AA over Carplay option.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:27 PM

Hi, this is interesting! So you're saying you tried it on your 2016 and it basically runs Android Auto by tricking the car into thinking it's Carplay? Would be nice for my 2017 since it has Carplay but I have an Android phone...
Old 10-27-2023, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
Hi, this is interesting! So you're saying you tried it on your 2016 and it basically runs Android Auto by tricking the car into thinking it's Carplay? Would be nice for my 2017 since it has Carplay but I have an Android phone...
I ran it on my 19, but it should work on your 17. The vehicle showed it as Carplay (via the Carplay icon on the display). I wish that I had access to it back when I had my 16. Essentially it converts the Android Auto signal from your phone to Carplay so your head unit can understand what its receiving and then just displays that.

Appearance wise you end up with a very slightly modified looking Android Auto vs running it natively. Basically it looks like it did when I was messing with settings like forcing AA to display at a different resolution from what it expects from my phone, with tweaking you could probably get it looking exactly the same. To be clear it looks perfectly fine how it comes through just slightly different, you will probably be quite happy for a while just to have AA working at all without having to replace your head unit.

I've found the whole thing interesting that it can even work because I had in my head that your phone was just sending certain data over but it is apparently sending the entire display your head unit shows when running Carplay or AA.

I mentioned this in OP but if you have access to it buy the device from Amazon so you have easy return access. The Carplay function for the AAWireless dongle is in beta so there's a possibility it might not work just due to the head unit being different from the newer models. For instance my coworker has a Cadillac and we couldn't get Carplay working at all via the wireless dongle despite the fact that Android Auto worked fine with her Cadillac head unit. I'm sure that will be ironed out in the future but it is early going for this dongle to support Carplay at all so compatibility can be a concern.

Last edited by FearTheClown; 10-27-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by FearTheClown
I ran it on my 19, but it should work on your 17. The vehicle showed it as Carplay (via the Carplay icon on the display). I wish that I had access to it back when I had my 16. Essentially it converts the Android Auto signal from your phone to Carplay so your head unit can understand what its receiving and then just displays that.

Appearance wise you end up with a very slightly modified looking Android Auto vs running it natively. Basically it looks like it did when I was messing with settings like forcing AA to display at a different resolution from what it expects from my phone, with tweaking you could probably get it looking exactly the same. To be clear it looks perfectly fine how it comes through just slightly different, you will probably be quite happy for a while just to have AA working at all without having to replace your head unit.

I've found the whole thing interesting that it can even work because I had in my head that your phone was just sending certain data over but it is apparently sending the entire display your head unit shows when running Carplay or AA.

I mentioned this in OP but if you have access to it buy the device from Amazon so you have easy return access. The Carplay function for the AAWireless dongle is in beta so there's a possibility it might not work just due to the head unit being different from the newer models. For instance my coworker has a Cadillac and we couldn't get Carplay working at all via the wireless dongle despite the fact that Android Auto worked fine with her Cadillac head unit. I'm sure that will be ironed out in the future but it is early going for this dongle to support Carplay at all so compatibility can be a concern.
I was quite excited about this development and read all I could on Amazon about this product. As I read deeper I got discouraged because I found out that it does not work on my 2017 Maxima. Dang it.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I was quite excited about this development and read all I could on Amazon about this product. As I read deeper I got discouraged because I found out that it does not work on my 2017 Maxima. Dang it.
I can't locate that review, did they specify they were using the beta feature Android Auto over Carplay?
Old 10-31-2023, 09:19 AM

I can't locate that review, did they specify they were using the beta feature Android Auto over Carplay?
No. They did not indicate beta.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:46 AM

No. They did not indicate beta.
That being the case I want to clarify, your 17 does Carplay. The device AAWireless has a beta feature on firmware version 3.0 that lets you leverage that by converting the Android Auto from your phone into Carplay so a vehicle that only has Carplay support can display Android Auto. At this point the only reason it would not work is because of a head unit incompatibility but running it this way does work on my 2019, I can pump Android Auto from my phone into Carplay on my head unit.

If you have access to Amazon I would still recommend picking it up from there and giving it a whirl. This is a very new feature, just a couple months old. The worst case it doesn't work and you return it.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:24 AM

I think I will try it. Yes, my 17SL has Carplay because I used to use it when I had an Apple phone. Changed to Android.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:10 PM

I think I will try it. Yes, my 17SL has Carplay because I used to use it when I had an Apple phone. Changed to Android.
When you get it and connect to it over Bluetooth after installing the app on your phone you'll want to immediately apply firmware update 3.0 to it. After that in the settings of the device in the app you'll see a toggle to turn on Carplay near the bottom and then a toggle to use Android Auto over Carplay, turn both of those on and apply it then give it a minute to reboot. If you have issues after that unplug the device and plug it back in to your car and then delete the Bluetooth connection to it on your phone and pair it back up again.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-16-2023, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been using this device called AAWireless to run Android Auto wireless in my 2019 Maxima. One of thing things that irked me about my 2016 was it didn't support Android Auto at all. Recently AAWireless put out a beta update to add Carplay support.

In addition to just being able to use Carplay wireless you can now use Android Auto over Carplay with it. Out of curiosity I tested that today and sure enough my Maxima displays Android Auto but shows up as the Carplay icon in the Maxima.

If any of y'all are looking for a super easy way to add Android Auto support try this out. You can buy it on Amazon just in case it doesn't work on the 2016 head unit for some reason. Update it to version 3.0 and then go into the AAWireless device settings and toggle the AA over Carplay option.
So I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SL. And I want to 2018 head unit. So I can get andrew auto so does that work So I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SL. And I want a 2018 head unit so I can get Android Auto so does that work?

this is wat I want but it says no fit somebody help

Last edited by Alex1234; 12-16-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SL. And I want to 2018 head unit. So I can get andrew auto so does that work So I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SL. And I want a 2018 head unit so I can get Android Auto so does that work?
Old 12-16-2023, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do you update the nav system? Because I did do it. And I'm only at 1.7. Update I belave so how do u get the navy to 3.0