8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima randomly shutting off while driving. *NEED HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Maxima randomly shutting off while driving. *NEED HELP*

Hey guys, haven't posted here in awhile. I leased a 2012 maxima special edition grey with the matching gun metal wheels and I loved it so much I decided to lease the 2016 Max last January. Ive had it about 17 months now, starting in July 2016 the car would randomly shut off, lose power steering and the breaks went hard. This happened while accelerating to merge onto highway at around 50-55mph. Luckily I managed to pull off to the shoulder with the engine off and now power steering narrowly escaped getting rear ended. Thought it was a one time fluke thing since there was no check engine light.

Fast forward to October 2016, the same issue happened again 4 times in one week, again same conditions. Accelerating merging onto highway around 50-55 mph, and again no CEL. I narrowly escaped getting into an accident every time. I took the car to the dealer I leased it from and they could not duplicate the problems, but did diagnostic and performed multiple services and replaced multiple parts.

The invoice says they performed a belt inspection, removed and replaced valve body, and also "performed calibration". One of the codes they found in diagnostic was "Code P17F1". Other parts they replaced was Valve Assembly, Seal Lip, Strainer Assembly, a "Clip", a bracket, and something called NS-3 CVT Transmission. The service manager said this should solve the problem. Clearly he was wrong,

I picked up car after this service and boom a few days later same thing happens again in the same conditions. So I no longer feel safe driving the car, called Nissan and started a claim saying I no longer felt safe driving the car and I said fix it or buy back the car (lease). They said since they could not duplicate the problem they cant do anything, case closed. My argument was how can someone duplicate a problem that happens randomly where theres no rhyme or rhythm to when and how it happens.

Fast forward to a few days ago, car did the same thing under the same conditions, narrowly escaped being hit by a tahoe this time. I called nissan again and started a new case, this time I escalated to a supervisor and explained to them the situation, they already had notes of prior issue. Bringing in car this Monday to the dealer again to see if they can duplicate the problem, which is unlikely since it happens so randomly. I dont want this car anymore, clearly its a lemon. But the supervisor said if they cant duplicate the problem they cannot buy back or replace the car which is BS.

I DO NOT feel safe driving this car anymore, I have 2 years left on the lease and God knows how many more times this is going to happen, its a numbers game. At some point this will cause an accident and might hurt or kill me or someone else.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know this is a long read but I really need your guys help.

Last edited by itsaNYthing; 03-03-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW I brought it to a buddies shop and he did OBD diagnostic on it, and theres no code. It's his opinion that there is a manufacturing defect in the car (lemon) thats most likely electrical. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 PM

First, I would suggest that you DO NOT restart the car after it shuts off. Call a wrecker and have it towed to the Dealer right afterwards.

Secondly, I would tow it to another Dealer - get a second opinion.

Thirdly, if nothing else, you can break the lease (cost you maybe $350?) and just get yourself another car... I have a Nissan Lease and that's what I can do if I want to break my lease... read your lease and get familiar with that part of it pronto.

...and fourthly, out of curiosity, does this happen at the same place? You keep referring to the car shutting off while you are merging on the Interstate... sounds like it may be happening at the same location...
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 PM

how about puting a camera on the inside of the car and hit record when it happens.

Ian B
Old 03-04-2017, 01:52 AM

I am lucky in that, should this happen to me, I simply swap cars with the mechanic at my dealer and drive one of their loaner cars and let their mechanic drive my car as his daily driver until the engine cutoff happens. At that point, you have everything you need to pass the lemon law restrictions unless they can fix it fairly quickly.

Of course this option would not be available to me if I did not have a 22 year relationship with my dealer, and am personal friends with the Service Manager and the lead mechanic.

Your situation is particularly dangerous, because the engine cutting off makes the car almost impossible to steer (no power steering), and greatly reduces the capability of the brakes (no power brakes) to stop the car. Having done nothing wrong on your part, you are essentially an accident waiting to happen. Please try to keep a safe distance between you and whatever is in front of you, keep your seat belt on, and record the date, time, and what the dealer said for each of your trips to the dealer and especially what was said for each of your calls to Nissan.

This last thing may take more time than you can spare, but it is your civic duty to report this very serious problem to government safety agencies. If this problem is reported by several folks, an investigation will be started. Additionally, this contact with the government will help bolster your claim if legal action is required.

I will add that I do not recall seeing anyone else here on maxima.org with this problem. It almost has to be some fluke like a wire rubbing against sharp metal and shorting out in certain situations. This can be very difficult to nail down. Please let us know whatever you do and what response you get in dealing with this problem.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 AM

You should file or open a case with the NHTSA

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

I am no expert but I had a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix that did the same thing
After several attempts the dealer final replaced the computer which ended up
being the problem.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MY ALT Z
First, I would suggest that you DO NOT restart the car after it shuts off. Call a wrecker and have it towed to the Dealer right afterwards.

Thirdly, if nothing else, you can break the lease (cost you maybe $350?) and just get yourself another car... I have a Nissan Lease and that's what I can do if I want to break my lease... read your lease and get familiar with that part of it pronto.

...and fourthly, out of curiosity, does this happen at the same place? You keep referring to the car shutting off while you are merging on the Interstate... sounds like it may be happening at the same location...
Im going to re-read my lease, but I should not pay for a lemon that they sold me, its their problem and they need to fix it or replace it. And no, it does not happen at the same place. Happened in different locations every time.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Randy
You should file or open a case with the NHTSA

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

I am no expert but I had a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix that did the same thing
After several attempts the dealer final replaced the computer which ended up
being the problem.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Any other gov't agency I should report this too?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I am lucky in that, should this happen to me, I simply swap cars with the mechanic at my dealer and drive one of their loaner cars and let their mechanic drive my car as his daily driver until the engine cutoff happens. At that point, you have everything you need to pass the lemon law restrictions unless they can fix it fairly quickly.

It happens so intermittently, no rhyme of rhythm to when it happens. Ive put thousands of miles between occurrences, and in a couple cases it was less than 100 miles between an occurrence

Of course this option would not be available to me if I did not have a 22 year relationship with my dealer, and am personal friends with the Service Manager and the lead mechanic.
I dont have that hookup with this dealer
Your situation is particularly dangerous, because the engine cutting off makes the car almost impossible to steer (no power steering), and greatly reduces the capability of the brakes (no power brakes) to stop the car. Having done nothing wrong on your part, you are essentially an accident waiting to happen. Please try to keep a safe distance between you and whatever is in front of you, keep your seat belt on, and record the date, time, and what the dealer said for each of your trips to the dealer and especially what was said for each of your calls to Nissan.
Ive been doing all of this, and ive been very lucky I haven't gotten into an accident (yet), I have to muscle the steering wheel hard to pull onto the shoulder and pray there is enough room on the shoulder for me to slow down
This last thing may take more time than you can spare, but it is your civic duty to report this very serious problem to government safety agencies. If this problem is reported by several folks, an investigation will be started. Additionally, this contact with the government will help bolster your claim if legal action is required.
You're absolutely right, another member mentioned an agency, who else can I report this too? This can also be used as leverage in my case with nissan
I will add that I do not recall seeing anyone else here on maxima.org with this problem. It almost has to be some fluke like a wire rubbing against sharp metal and shorting out in certain situations. This can be very difficult to nail down. Please let us know whatever you do and what response you get in dealing with this problem.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ian B
how about puting a camera on the inside of the car and hit record when it happens.

Ian B
Thats an idea, but it happens so intermittently as mentioned before, plus they could just say I hit the Start/Stop button.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So my cars going to dealer for service (again) to see if they can duplicate the problem, which is unlikely given that they're only going to put a few miles on it at most. Let's assume they can't duplicate, the supervisor handling my case essentially said that they'll close my case, again. Any ideas on what I can do? I have an attorney on retainer for my my business, although he doesn't specialize in lemon law. I have no problem having him write a letter to nissan corporate. I really do not feel safe driving this car, and nissan isnt taking it seriously. Would a letter from my attorney have have any impact? Any other ways you guys can recommend that I can force nissans hand to the right thing?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by itsaNYthing
So my cars going to dealer for service (again) to see if they can duplicate the problem, which is unlikely given that they're only going to put a few miles on it at most. Let's assume they can't duplicate, the supervisor handling my case essentially said that they'll close my case, again. Any ideas on what I can do? I have an attorney on retainer for my my business, although he doesn't specialize in lemon law. I have no problem having him write a letter to nissan corporate. I really do not feel safe driving this car, and nissan isnt taking it seriously. Would a letter from my attorney have have any impact? Any other ways you guys can recommend that I can force nissans hand to the right thing?
I wonder if it is as simple as a defective Start/Stop switch? I like the suggestion to get a camera recorder in place to capture this event when it happens again. Sorry this issue has occurred though this is the first I have heard of it on a Maxima. Could it be an Alitma problem too?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Im going to re-read my lease, but I should not pay for a lemon that they sold me, its their problem and they need to fix it or replace it. And no, it does not happen at the same place. Happened in different locations every time.
I hear ya... however, sometimes to win the war you have to loose a battle, or at least sacrifice a position... A real life Chess game...

Anyhow... I was wondering if you were experiencing the issue in some "dead zone" where you have microwave towers or something. A similar example here in Louisiana is our 24 mile Causeway bridge where, at a certain section of the bridge populated with Comm towers with large microwave dishes, I (and other Maxima's/Murano's...etc) loose our Adaptive Cruise. Nissan was here researching the issue through the local dealer. This was a year back when I got the car. The issue seems to have gone away now, but I did notice I received an ECM programming Update recently. So, was thinking the same kinda thing might be happening to you...?

Ok, next question, does it happen only when your turning - in a certain direction (I want to say obviously turning right as you are merging into the interstate), accelerating, Normal Mode, Sport Mode...? Is there a common denominator when it ocurs..?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 AM

The likelihood of this being a one-off case is extremely low. There should be troubleshooting steps that the dealer can use to check wiring/switches for proper working order. I had my truck one time shut off while I was driving it, but I accidentally hit my key to the off position. Has anyone experimented hitting the Start/Stop button while moving slowly? Wondering if it would shut off or if there are safety features that won't allow this if the car is in gear.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Derick Kurtz
The likelihood of this being a one-off case is extremely low. There should be troubleshooting steps that the dealer can use to check wiring/switches for proper working order. I had my truck one time shut off while I was driving it, but I accidentally hit my key to the off position. Has anyone experimented hitting the Start/Stop button while moving slowly? Wondering if it would shut off or if there are safety features that won't allow this if the car is in gear.
The procedure to actually turn the car off while driving is one of two ways that I know: Hit and hold the 'Start/Stop" push button, or hit the button twice in rapid succession. The Engine kills at that point (The normal mode we are all aware of is to hit it once when stopped obviously). This is to shutoff the car in the event of a runaway situation such as Toyota was infamous for a few years back...
Old 03-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Thats an idea, but it happens so intermittently as mentioned before, plus they could just say I hit the Start/Stop button.
Ok, get a dashcarm and mount it between your front seat headrests. That way you can aim to the driver and gauges, it will record all the time and there is your proof.

Ian B
Old 03-05-2017, 04:09 AM

To the person that suggests it might be as simple as a faulty start/stop switch.
He may be onto something. Doing a google search for Nissan Start/Stop problems.
I came across a 2015 Recall of certain Nissan Cars which could have had a faulty Start/Stop switch - none were for any Maxima. However after reading the recall it certainly sounds like the problem iTsaNYthing is having.
Use the URL to read the recall information.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-to-fix-star/

Randy
Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Man, This happened to me once. I was turning to enter a plaza's parking and then the engine suddenly shut off. All lights in the dash were on, it was like I just pressed the start/Stop button twice without pressing the break. As it was the first time I didn't do any this with the dealer and thankfully never happened again till now.

I have had the car for around 9 months and this happened after about two months of getting the car.

This is weird and you should record it using a gopro camera or similar and escalate as much as you can till you get what you want, not what they want.

Good luck bro and keep us posted please.

Thanks

Last edited by mfshehri; 03-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help also

Hey guys, haven't posted here in awhile. I leased a 2012 maxima special edition grey with the matching gun metal wheels and I loved it so much I decided to lease the 2016 Max last January. Ive had it about 17 months now, starting in July 2016 the car would randomly shut off, lose power steering and the breaks went hard. This happened while accelerating to merge onto highway at around 50-55mph. Luckily I managed to pull off to the shoulder with the engine off and now power steering narrowly escaped getting rear ended. Thought it was a one time fluke thing since there was no check engine light.

Fast forward to October 2016, the same issue happened again 4 times in one week, again same conditions. Accelerating merging onto highway around 50-55 mph, and again no CEL. I narrowly escaped getting into an accident every time. I took the car to the dealer I leased it from and they could not duplicate the problems, but did diagnostic and performed multiple services and replaced multiple parts.

The invoice says they performed a belt inspection, removed and replaced valve body, and also "performed calibration". One of the codes they found in diagnostic was "Code P17F1". Other parts they replaced was Valve Assembly, Seal Lip, Strainer Assembly, a "Clip", a bracket, and something called NS-3 CVT Transmission. The service manager said this should solve the problem. Clearly he was wrong,

I picked up car after this service and boom a few days later same thing happens again in the same conditions. So I no longer feel safe driving the car, called Nissan and started a claim saying I no longer felt safe driving the car and I said fix it or buy back the car (lease). They said since they could not duplicate the problem they cant do anything, case closed. My argument was how can someone duplicate a problem that happens randomly where theres no rhyme or rhythm to when and how it happens.

Fast forward to a few days ago, car did the same thing under the same conditions, narrowly escaped being hit by a tahoe this time. I called nissan again and started a new case, this time I escalated to a supervisor and explained to them the situation, they already had notes of prior issue. Bringing in car this Monday to the dealer again to see if they can duplicate the problem, which is unlikely since it happens so randomly. I dont want this car anymore, clearly its a lemon. But the supervisor said if they cant duplicate the problem they cannot buy back or replace the car which is BS.

I DO NOT feel safe driving this car anymore, I have 2 years left on the lease and God knows how many more times this is going to happen, its a numbers game. At some point this will cause an accident and might hurt or kill me or someone else.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know this is a long read but I really need your guys help.

I’m having the same issue. It’s very frustrating as well as dangerous. I’ve taken my 2016 Nissan Maxima to the dealership for the third time today. The past two times the dealership couldn’t give me one answer on to why this is happening. Were you able to find out anything else since your last post? I’ve opt out my extended warranty due to mileage from work so now I feel as if I’m stuck playing chess with a car that jeopardizes my life. If anyone can help me in finding why it shuts off while driving could you please help me out...thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 AM

Don't know how much it would cost to break the lease, but honestly, unless you are OK with the notion of way premature death, I would stop driving that car, break the lease, report the incidents to the NTHS and to the BBB. Forget about putting a camera in, it might just capture the moment of your premature death, and that wouldn't do you any good.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dejavmya3
I’m having the same issue. It’s very frustrating as well as dangerous. I’ve taken my 2016 Nissan Maxima to the dealership for the third time today. The past two times the dealership couldn’t give me one answer on to why this is happening. Were you able to find out anything else since your last post? I’ve opt out my extended warranty due to mileage from work so now I feel as if I’m stuck playing chess with a car that jeopardizes my life. If anyone can help me in finding why it shuts off while driving could you please help me out...thanks

What exactly happens when the car shuts off ? Does the car's center display , all gauges and electrical shut down ?
Several years ago we had a car that shut down(it wasn't a nissan) - everything shut off as if we lost all power. Then shortly after
the power came back and we were able to turn the car on again. The dealer wasn't able to see it happen but the lead tech had the
computer replaced. That did fix the problem.

Randy
Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 PM

I agree with Lionel2013. Park it!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car is doing the same thing

Did you ever get any resolution from Nissan. This is so scary.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Paulina Thomas
Did you ever get any resolution from Nissan. This is so scary.

my 2016 Nissan Maxima is also cutting off randomly. This is the 3rd time. First two times happened two years ago. Car just lost power for less than 60 seconds then kicked back over. Took it to Nissan they said they couldn’t duplicate the problem so it was nothing they could do. This particular time the car never re-gained power and i had to veer to side of road. Tow truck came tried to jump the car but to no avail. I’m wondering did Nissan take any responsibility for the other people’s cars that did the same thing. I’m calling corporate today. It’s really not safe at ALL
Old 08-17-2020, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by officialdime
my 2016 Nissan Maxima is also cutting off randomly. This is the 3rd time. First two times happened two years ago. Car just lost power for less than 60 seconds then kicked back over. Took it to Nissan they said they couldn’t duplicate the problem so it was nothing they could do. This particular time the car never re-gained power and i had to veer to side of road. Tow truck came tried to jump the car but to no avail. I’m wondering did Nissan take any responsibility for the other people’s cars that did the same thing. I’m calling corporate today. It’s really not safe at ALL
Sorry for your problems but it comes across as just another complaint without a car history, mileage, past repairs, etc. Was it bought new? Was it a past rental? Do you have your dealer pull a repair history? What computer error codes are showing? Did you have to pay for a diagnostics at the dealer?
"Never regained power" sounds like the "limp home mode".

We want to help but you have to share more info
Old 08-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Sorry for your problems but it comes across as just another complaint without a car history, mileage, past repairs, etc. Was it bought new? Was it a past rental? Do you have your dealer pull a repair history? What computer error codes are showing? Did you have to pay for a diagnostics at the dealer?
"Never regained power" sounds like the "limp home mode".

We want to help but you have to share more info
Thanks for getting back to me. I financed this vehicle brand new. no miles on it. I have not had any major repair work done to the car. I have fixed brakes, rotors, tires, and oil changes. I have had some body work done on the bumper and towards the rear of passenger side (I'm not sure what that specific area is called). Now this loss of power issue, initially happened about a year and a half into me having the car. So lets say 2018. The car lost power for less than 1 minute and was able to regain power by me putting foot on the gas and car accelerating. When the car lost power the car didn't give any warning lights or any stalling. The first time it happened i did nothing because I wasn't so sure it was a real issue with the car being so new. It happened again maybe 6-8 months after that same exact thing, no warning lights, no stalling before it lost power and kicked back over in less than 1 minute. Took to nissan which my car was under warranty. They were unable to duplicate the problem and basically sent me on my way home. So now in 2019 it happens again. Time frame is unclear I would have to look at service records. This time i lost power for about a minute. I was driving up a hill. Again no warning lights, no stalling of the car. Oh also I never tried to reverse the car during these first 3 times. I contacted Nissan again and they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem and didn't see anything come up on the diagnostic for it. They also told me this the first 2 times. Fast forward to last Sunday August 16th. 2020 and it happens again. This time, the car looses power and doesn't kick back over. I pulled to the side of road and cut the car off. I tried to start the car 3 times and it wouldn't start. I was able to reverse the car but it wouldn't go forward prior to me turning the car off. Towed the car to Nissan, they ran a diagnostic told me I needed a new battery because it was corroded and that could of been the issue why the car lost power. Keep in mind that when the car lost power (wouldn't accelerate) the car was still running. I pay for a diagnostic and battery. At this point in time my car has no warranty except an emissions warranty they told me. The very next day less than 12 hours my car does the same thing.... looses power as I'm driving. Again no warning lights on dash no stalling of car. This time I was pulling into my driveway and decided to take a video of exactly what was going on. I put the car in reverse which it operated fine. I put the car in drive and the car didn't fully accelerate. The speed read 0. RMP's almost touched 1. Got the car towed back to the dealer on Tuesday evening. Now today Wednesday the 19th they are telling me that there was a TSB bulletin for a software update to engine computer or something like that (I have not gone to pick car up yet). This was recommended for cars having similar issues as mines so they contacted Nissan corporate i guess and they said to go ahead and do it because it was covered under my emission warranty and that they wouldn't charge me for a diagnostic. They said they drove it 4 times and wasn't able to duplicate problem before or after updating the software. Also When my car got towed to the dealer yesterday, the car was acting normal by time it got to dealer meaning it wasn't loosing power and was accelerating just fine. I don't think this software update will fix the problem. I made a case with Nissan Consumer affairs Sunday (4th time it happened) and Tuesday August 18th (5th time it happened). They said they would investigate. Which really only means call the dealer and see what they say about it. The lady from consumer affairs (regional case manager) informed me that Nissan is not taking responsibility at this time, the dealer has already performed diagnostics... changed the battery and did software update. She also said there is no service records of you reporting this issue the first few times it happened. Shame on the Yonkers, dealership for not reporting that. Oh but I have my service records that I'm sure it's on. I gotta check when I pick this car up. So my dilemma is i'm stuck. Nissan isn't taking further action for this problem besides "software update" to engine or wherever they said. And I'm no longer under any real warranty, and I still owe money on the car about 13k. I tried to see if they would give me money back from the first diagnostic they ran when they said the problem was the batter and they basically said No. They had to do that because the car wouldn't start by time it got towed into the dealer. I feel stuck with an unsafe car. The service manager also told me even if Nissan found a specific solution to this intermittent loss of power. I still would be responsible for paying for it because I'm not under warranty. HELP
Old 08-20-2020, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the very in-depth narrative of what you are struggling with. Hopefully, you have your copies of the initial complaints you conveyed to the servicing dealer. Did they specifically write this up on a service order? Sounds like you have this so I would proceed with the safety angle and the fact that this serious issue has been known over a couple of years. Do you have an attorney who could sum this up in a letter to Nissan support emphasizing the safety and danger of operating this vehicle?

I get the battery issue as my 2016 also had this problem though the battery just quit turning over the engine @ about 28000 miles. Has your car ever been near or through deep water? Check all grounds and clean the grounding locations with steel wool and retighten. Check the forum resources for a service wiring diagram. This may seem dramatic, but I would request an engine computer swap out. What keeps you or me from getting one on EBAY and doing this is that Nissan has the software to make sure it would work after a swap.

Another thing to look at is the gas tank and fuel pump. There might be some fuel tank contamination in which case removal and cleanout are needed. You could then inspect and or replace the fuel pump and screen as well as the fuel filter - all of which could cause an intermittent stall to limp home mode.
As you can see, the dealers get flat rates for replacing parts but very little to diagnose much of anything.

Perhaps others can chime in on ideas to help here. Keep us posted
Old 08-20-2020, 08:49 AM

I had the same issue with an 89 Ford Tempo. It would cut out with no warning, typically on the hwy. I would wait for a few minutes and was able to carry on as if nothing happened.

This happened intermittently for about a year, mostly in the summertime. The dealer finally was able to figure out it was the ignition control module. It was overheating and the car lost spark.

I wonder if this is similar...
Old 08-20-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MY ALT Z

It can't be that easy to break a lease can it?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dejavmya3
I have taken my Maxima into the shop five times now (a Nissan Dealership), and they've been unable to find/fix the issue. I used my multimeter earlier today and tested the voltage coming from my alternator (generator) to my battery. I found that my voltage starts at 14.5v when the car is running (which is normal) I rev the engine to 2k rpm for five minutes and i watched the Multimeter start to jump all over. it shot up to 30v before dropping to 9.83v which caused the car to stall and die. this is a voltage regulator issue most likely which is around $60 and is a diy job. There's a possibility that it's the alternator but unlikely as the voltage reached 30. I am going to replace the alternator entirely tomorrow to be on the safe side since the Voltage regulator is connected to it. If your voltage goes low while driving, your engine will stall out and the car will be inoperable (losing functionality: brakes, steering, etc)
Old 01-16-2021, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have taken my Maxima into the shop five times now (a Nissan Dealership), and they've been unable to find/fix the issue. I used my multimeter earlier today and tested the voltage coming from my alternator (generator) to my battery. I found that my voltage starts at 14.5v when the car is running (which is normal) I rev the engine to 2k rpm for five minutes and i watched the Multimeter start to jump all over. it shot up to 30v before dropping to 9.83v which caused the car to stall and die. this is a voltage regulator issue most likely which is around $60 and is a diy job. There's a possibility that it's the alternator but unlikely as the voltage reached 30. I am going to replace the alternator entirely tomorrow to be on the safe side since the Voltage regulator is connected to it. If your voltage goes low while driving, your engine will stall out and the car will be inoperable (losing functionality: brakes, steering, etc)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stephon C.
Very curious to what you find. Absolutely you should replace the alternator, drive belt, and the battery too if it is over 2 years old. The voltage variation might have fried it too. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2021, 04:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Actually.. I have an 07 Maxima... For about 6 months now. And it recently started shutting off randomly. It was just once here and there... Now its every time i drive. Sometimes as soon as i get on the road. Sometimes in 20 mins... Just whenever it feels like it. No certain place time or speed. My father is a mechanic... And we cant figure out wtf is wrong or why it is doing this.... So i came here to see if anyone had any answers or pointers
Old 10-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone figured out why the car is losing power

I am having the exact same issue with my 2016 Nissan maxima SL. I have replace the battery and the alternator and it’s still losing power. I’ve had a electrical and a full diagnostic done on my car all they can see is the car does lose power while driving, when they looked at the car computer history. The dealership & Firestone is unable to duplicate the issue. NEED SOME TYPE OF HELP WITH THIS ISSUE

Last edited by vernitarjohnson; 10-22-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by vernitarjohnson
I am having the exact same issue with my 2016 Nissan maxima SL. I have replace the battery and the alternator and it’s still losing power. I’ve had a electrical and a full diagnostic done on my car all they can see is the car does lose power while driving, when they looked at the car computer history. The dealership & Firestone is unable to duplicate the issue. NEED SOME TYPE OF HELP WITH THIS ISSUE
Sadly sounds like the issue I'm having ( step on gas and no acceleration at times). I've got a 2016 Platinum only 47k mikes. I've been dealing with this for 2 months now. Issues started with the forward collision indicator going off around train tracks. Didn't think much about it ( going on much longer than a few months), then it started the acceleration problem and brought it in when the forward emergency braking indicator went off for no reason. So far the dealer has calibrated the radar 2x, leveled the radar, replaced the brake light switch 2x, and updated/reprogrammed the software. Finally got it back Friday night after 3 weeks...took out today and not only did it do it again but the FEB went off again...hopefully it will give a code this time since I did not turn off the car after that happened.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you find out what is causing this issue can you please post? My car is still at Firestone, they’re trying to Duplicate the issue to get a code. This is extremely frustrating. Called Nissan dealership and they don’t have any recent recalls with this issue. I’m going to try Nissan consumers and see what they say
Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 AM

If you find out what is causing this issue can you please post? My car is still at Firestone, they’re trying to Duplicate the issue to get a code. This is extremely frustrating. Called Nissan dealership and they don’t have any recent recalls with this issue. I’m going to try Nissan consumers and see what they say
I'll definitely update. Really hoping that they figure it out soon. And I'm like you, decided to reach out to other owners and it seems like several Nissan owners have gone through this.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey
Just found out what the issue is & Nissan is aware of the on going issue, but is not considering it a recall.
It’s the cluster that has to get replaced. A device that charges the battery & alternator to get power so the car can run. The cost is $2,000.00 it’s going to take about 2-3 weeks to order send it out to get programmed to the car exact mileage, then installed. I took my car to Firestone and they kept my car on the computer until the same thing happened. That’s how they figured out what was causing the car to lose power. The tech stayed in contact with Nissan concerning the issue. It’s a lot, but I’m happy they figured it out. And this is not covered under the warranty either.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:09 PM

Hey
Just found out what the issue is & Nissan is aware of the on going issue, but is not considering it a recall.
It’s the cluster that has to get replaced. A device that charges the battery & alternator to get power so the car can run. The cost is $2,000.00 it’s going to take about 2-3 weeks to order send it out to get programmed to the car exact mileage, then installed. I took my car to Firestone and they kept my car on the computer until the same thing happened. That’s how they figured out what was causing the car to lose power. The tech stayed in contact with Nissan concerning the issue. It’s a lot, but I’m happy they figured it out. And this is not covered under the warranty either.
I'm hoping I don't have that issue too. The car did give an error code after the FEB went off again....this time the Brake Light Relay ( had already changed the brake light switch twice). They drove around 50 miles going city speed and freeway and reported no issues. I got yesterday ok but power bar not up to where it should be. Today drove for about 30 miles or so noticed hesitation going from 35 to 45 twice, watched rpms go from 1000 to 2000 while in park! Then the " predictive collision alert" went off again....so its back at the dealers. 😭
Old 10-29-2021, 04:18 PM

Hey
That's a ton of money! Did they say why it's not covered??

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima randomly shutting off while driving. *NEED HELP*