8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima SR ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Maxima SR ground clearance?

Would someone mind confirming the ground clearance of the SR? The other models are listed as 5.3" but I can't seem to find a confirmed number for the SR. thanks.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
Would someone mind confirming the ground clearance of the SR? The other models are listed as 5.3" but I can't seem to find a confirmed number for the SR. thanks.
No number is given for the SR because the SR ground clearance will be essentially the same as all other 8th gen Maxima models.

Although the wheels for the SR are 19", while non-SR Maximas have 18" wheels, the tires for the SR are only 40 profile, while the tires for the other 8th gen Maximas are 45 profile. That leaves the SR and other Maxima models with essentially the same ground clearance.

The shorter sidewalls of the SR give both a slightly firmer ride and slightly sharper/quicker turning abilities, while the taller sidewalls of the other 8th gen Maximas give a slightly softer ride.

Taking the ride thing a little deeper, we can vary things. On my Platinum, I have my front tires at 37 psi and my rear tires at 35 psi. That gives me a slightly firmer ride and slightly sharper/quicker turning than when I had the recommended 33 psi in all tires. This puts my Platinum approximately halfway between the ride and control of a non-SR with 33 psi and an SR with 33 psi. I was able to confirm this by virtue of driving only an SR (loaner) the past 8 days.

But the ground clearance in all cases will be essentially the same.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 AM

Thanks Light. I thought I read that the SR was slightly lower but I couldn't find the original comment/article. It also didn't occur to me to consider that the low profile tyres would offset any reduction in ground clearance.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:59 PM

Same ride height... on all trims. The main issue is the front lip underneath the front clip. It rubs...often.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by catchme
Same ride height... on all trims. The main issue is the front lip underneath the front clip. It rubs...often.
That is for sure.

Fortunately, I have an accessory in my car that is not available from Nissan. More specifically, I always have my wife riding shotgun, and if the front camera leaves any doubt about clearance, my wife hops out, leans way over, and uses her hands to let me know whether the bottom front of the car will clear whatever is in front, and exactly when to stop.

These latest two generation Maximas are very tight on ground clearance, and the situation is exacerbated by them being FWD, which results in more front overhang than with most RWD vehicles, which usually have the front wheels on the front corners of the car.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM

I'm deciding whether I really want to get a Maxima but the ground clearance, or lack thereof, may be an issue, especially in winter. One end of my street usually has a large pile of snow from when they plough the main road for buses. Even things like the curb height at the school might be an issue! Not to mention some of our potholes and cracks in the road. It's almost like we all need Jeeps to drive here!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM

I test drove the SR and I think the suspension and low profile tyres are just too firm on our crappy roads. There were several creaks in the cabin when I hit the worst of the potholes and when I crossed the train tracks. Guess it's not gonna be...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM

I test drove the SR and I think the suspension and low profile tyres are just too firm on our crappy roads. There were several creaks in the cabin when I hit the worst of the potholes and when I crossed the train tracks. Guess it's not gonna be...
If i can add my 2 cents, i bought a 17 SR and to be honest, for the first 2000km i was thinking it was way too stiff, but i'm pretty sure the shocks softened up a good bit. It rode much better after that.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks, I haven't heard this before. Anyone else know about this?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks, I haven't heard this before. Anyone else know about this?
I can't answer the softening of the SR ride, but I can say that all Maximas except the SR have tires with taller sidewalls which are more flexible, and tend to soften potholes and have a generally comfortable ride.

But you are correct that Maximas are not the best car for turning into driveways that require passing through any kind of curb ditch, especially if the driveway slants upward from a level street. I assume speed bumps in civilized parts of the country would be no problem, but down here in uncivilized middle Georgia, most folks drive SUVs, ATVs, Jeeps, Trucks (most homes outside urban areas have at least one truck; we have had at least one truck at all times for over thirty years), so normal speed bumps do no good, and very high speed bumps are used. I cannot get over them in my Maxima.

Maximas can be raised, but I would not recommend doing so, as that would change too many of the driving dynamics.