8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

SR for dummies

Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SR for dummies

I drove the Maxima for the first time today and it was a SL.

I really like the look of the SR but honestly im using it for driving for work and dropping my kids off at school every day.

Can anyone explain what the extras are and if i need them? I see where it has a stiff suspension. I dont know what that means. Again, most of my driving is highway at 70mph.

TIA
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM

It sits lower, suspension is more Stiff,rear sway bar is ticker, ECU , pedal shifters and 19 inch wheels
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM

I would highly advise test driving a SR vs Platinum. Its all about preference really. I did not like the SR ride and felt really harsh. The Platinum was much better for me in my case.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM

I test drove the SR but the ride was teeth rattling on our crappy roads. The handling was great but it was too firm. The tyres were very noisy too. If our roads were smooth I would probably have bought it.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was worried about the ride too... but it honestly rides great in my opinion. I feel the 19" inch rims take the look to the next level.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I rent a lot of Maximas at National car rental usa-wide as well as own 2016 SR.
S, SL at rentals drive great and pretty much same way. On LAX to north LA bumpy highway sections they soak up most bumps.
SR is driven in Californian mountain curves and feels more glued to the ground. I believe what they say about breaking with inner to turn wheels is actually working. You feel every single bump, stone chip, "singing" highway sections as if it is a shopping cart.
SV, Platinum - moonroof. In most other nissan cars,when you have a weird rattling sound around rear right suspension - it's a moonroof. Big fat Nooooooo for me.
Also, not performance-related feature of distance parsing cruise control - doesn't work in stop-n-go traffic , but 1) works for long distance runs, you set as a usual cruise control and it slows down/ accelerates with the car in front of you, 2) 2 or 3 times over a year it began braking before I hit breaks myself in a weird californian traffic. Starts with SL trim, i'd recommend it except moonroof.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM

I drove a 2017 SR daily for eight days earlier this month, and it is a different drive/ride than my 2016 Platinum.The SR ride was absolutely a rougher ride for me, but not unreasonably so. The SR rode/drove more like a sports car. I felt I could turn fairly sharp corners under full control in the SR at pretty much any speed I wanted. It felt sort of like a 'go-kart' at times. But, like a go-kart, I felt every single imperfection in the pavement.

There are drivers who will prefer the SR, especially the look of the 19" wheels and tires. But, at my old age, and with a bladder that probably originated in Bibendum (the Michelin tire mascot made from balloon-like tires), I am more comfortable in my Platinum, especially on longer trips.

Someone mentioned the double-panel moon roof. They are nice, and my granddaughters like that open look when riding in the back seat. But they can sometimes be troublesome, and my entire double-panel roof had to be replaced under warranty. As I said, these are two different vehicles, and if there was the slightest question in my mind, I would never consider buying either one without driving them. I was lucky in that, owning nothing but Maximas for over thirty years, I knew from the start that the Platinum was exactly what I wanted, and I made an offer on one the first day they were officially on sale. But it took me 3 1/2 months and five offers before I found exactly he Platinum I wanted and my offer was accepted.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:43 AM

I own a 2017 SR. The ICC is pretty good, the LED are plenty bright. The ride is pretty good on regular roads, but it's pretty rough on rougher ones. The biggest bumps and holes are well dampened but the feedback in the cabin is jumpier, if that makes sense.
The steering is precise, and body roll is minimal. The ride is fun, and the 19" looks awesome, but there's a drawback, you feel the road much more.

Search this Thread