8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 AM

My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King

Will be getting spoiler in mail tomorrow and reserving spot to post how installatio attempt went or failed. My car is a 2016 Maxima S and the spoiler will be the SR version that comes color painted.

Ian B
Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 AM

I just installed the OEM sport spoiler on my SR on the weekend. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out and how it looks. I was a little nervous drilling 7 holes of various sizes, but with the time spent to ensure the template was on correctly it was very easy. Plug is already in the trunk to attach the brake light and I disconnected the existing brake light in the window. Because of my tint, you can't see it anyway.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Looks nice sdomingues!!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sdomingues
I just installed the OEM sport spoiler on my SR on the weekend. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out and how it looks. I was a little nervous drilling 7 holes of various sizes, but with the time spent to ensure the template was on correctly it was very easy. Plug is already in the trunk to attach the brake light and I disconnected the existing brake light in the window. Because of my tint, you can't see it anyway.

looks great, couple of questions for you.

1- is the brown plug inside of trunk lid where I plug in spoiler light? Did it have a male/female plug or did you splice into the cables?

2- Does unplugging deck light rear seat causes light message on your displayto come on??

Thx,

Ian B
Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ian B
looks great, couple of questions for you.

1- is the brown plug inside of trunk lid where I plug in spoiler light? Did it have a male/female plug or did you splice into the cables?

2- Does unplugging deck light rear seat causes light message on your displayto come on??

Thx,

Ian B
1. Yes it's the brown plug in the trunk lid. The OEM spoiler has the plug built in so no splicing needed, just plugged it in.

2. No warning lights from disconnecting the other light. They are on the same circuit and both LED so resistance should be virtually the same. And it was designed this way from the factory to have the spoiler as an option so I can't see it causing any issues.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:50 AM

1. Yes it's the brown plug in the trunk lid. The OEM spoiler has the plug built in so no splicing needed, just plugged it in.

2. No warning lights from disconnecting the other light. They are on the same circuit and both LED so resistance should be virtually the same. And it was designed this way from the factory to have the spoiler as an option so I can't see it causing any issues.
Thx for info. Last question did you put anything or coat the holes w anything to avoid rust?

Ian B
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Thx for info. Last question did you put anything or coat the holes w anything to avoid rust?

Ian B
No problem.

Yes absolutely, very important step!
I actually painted the bare metal on the holes and then applied a rust preventative before bolting on.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM

Does anyone know of the blue or white wire is the positive one. Spoiler wire does not have a connector and will have to splice into these cables to connect led third light in spoiler.

Thx,

Ian B
Attached Thumbnails My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King-20170524_185937.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 AM

Car looks good, but I love that Motorcycle. Details?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Car looks good, but I love that Motorcycle. Details?
Lol, thanks. Not to hijack the thread, but its a 2014 Honda CTX1300. Was only made for one year due to a lack of marketing from Honda and a lack of interest but it's a GREAT bike! Like a smaller GoldWing (and $10k less). Has the same V4 engine that was in the ST1300 for years. There are still brand new ones around for massive discounts, it's kind of crazy but anyone I've come across that has one loves it. It's big and heavy but a great touring bike, eats up miles with no effort.

It's got all LED lighting, stereo with USB and bluetooth, traction control, ABS, you name it.

Last edited by sdomingues; 05-25-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Mission accomplished. Will post pics tomorrow in sunlight. Corner bolts gave me some trouble but resolved. Love the look. If you get aftermarket unit like me, the red wire from spoiler goes to the blue in the prewired connector and the black wire from the spoiler goes to the white cable in the prewired connector.

Ian B
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Lol, thanks. Not to hijack the thread, but its a 2014 Honda CTX1300. Was only made for one year due to a lack of marketing from Honda and a lack of interest but it's a GREAT bike! Like a smaller GoldWing (and $10k less). Has the same V4 engine that was in the ST1300 for years. There are still brand new ones around for massive discounts, it's kind of crazy but anyone I've come across that has one loves it. It's big and heavy but a great touring bike, eats up miles with no effort.

It's got all LED lighting, stereo with USB and bluetooth, traction control, ABS, you name it.
Nice. I have a Victory Vision. I love it, but there is something about a V-4. I'll have to run by my local Honda dealer..

Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 AM

Here are the pics I took this morning. It is cloudy here today.

Ian B
Attached Thumbnails My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King-20170526_064539.jpg   My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King-20170526_064531.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:53 PM

Is everyone getting their spoilers from Spoiler and wing king?. I would like to add one to my White SR, but do not like the black OEM and would rather not go through the whole getting it repainted business. Wing King has the painted factory colors, and looks to be the way to go.

I am curious about the fitment overall compared to factory, and does theirs have the template as well.

They have a good sale going on and if they are GTG I would like to pick one up.

Thanks

Houston
Old 05-27-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonQX3
Is everyone getting their spoilers from Spoiler and wing king?. I would like to add one to my White SR, but do not like the black OEM and would rather not go through the whole getting it repainted business. Wing King has the painted factory colors, and looks to be the way to go.

I am curious about the fitment overall compared to factory, and does theirs have the template as well.

They have a good sale going on and if they are GTG I would like to pick one up.

Thanks

Houston
I have a Sport style from Spoiler and Wing King. Also have a spoiler from them for my Camaro. Fit and finish is great for both... The Camaro spoiler used the factory spoiler holes.

Spoiler and wing king does not have a template.. They use a plastic piece that clips into the spoiler... you tape down to the rear deck.... remove the spoiler and drill through the plastic clip. It works great. Drilling though the clip even helps prevent your bit from walking.

I suggest a 1/8" bit and a uni-bit to enlarge the hole. The uni-bit is not needed but leaves a clean de-burred hole...

I used touch up paint on the exposed metal to help prevent rust.
Sorry I didn't take pics while I was installing.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by dentnshell
I have a Sport style from Spoiler and Wing King. Also have a spoiler from them for my Camaro. Fit and finish is great for both... The Camaro spoiler used the factory spoiler holes.

Spoiler and wing king does not have a template.. They use a plastic piece that clips into the spoiler... you tape down to the rear deck.... remove the spoiler and drill through the plastic clip. It works great. Drilling though the clip even helps prevent your bit from walking.

I suggest a 1/8" bit and a uni-bit to enlarge the hole. The uni-bit is not needed but leaves a clean de-burred hole...

I used touch up paint on the exposed metal to help prevent rust.
Sorry I didn't take pics while I was installing.

So is the Spoiler held on by the plastic clips?. or by bolts? I guess I am not getting it..

HoustonQX3
Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 PM

It is held by bolts. You use the nylon strips as guides. The fit in the bolt hole of the spoiler. They stick out from under the spoiler while you place it. You tape them down. Remove the spoiler. Drill the holes. Remove the nylon / plastic locators. Then bolt on the spoiler isn't the perfectly placed holes. I am sure there is a you tube video somewhere.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dentnshell
It is held by bolts. You use the nylon strips as guides. The fit in the bolt hole of the spoiler. They stick out from under the spoiler while you place it. You tape them down. Remove the spoiler. Drill the holes. Remove the nylon / plastic locators. Then bolt on the spoiler isn't the perfectly placed holes. I am sure there is a you tube video somewhere.
Got it, I will look into ordering one then.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Hi, I own a SR too. Where is located the brake light plug from the rear window?
I want to disconnected it too.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM

does the trunk lid open "normally" like w/o the spoiler?
Old 05-28-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
Hi, I own a SR too. Where is located the brake light plug from the rear window?
I want to disconnected it too.
Thanks for your reply.
grab both side of brake light cover and push back and up towards rear window. That will make it pop up and out. Next, remove some of that foam gray material covering the connector. It's a ***** to remove w bare hands. You will need needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip, pull and it will release. Put the cover back on and done. If windows tinted no one will see brake part day or night. If not tinted, there is a part number for a cover without the brake light.

Ian B
Old 05-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
does the trunk lid open "normally" like w/o the spoiler?
No it does not... it pops up about a 1/2" and must be lifted from there. It does stay open once lifted.

I understand that the factory spoiler "may" come with stiffer springs.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 PM

grab both side of brake light cover and push back and up towards rear window. That will make it pop up and out. Next, remove some of that foam gray material covering the connector. It's a ***** to remove w bare hands. You will need needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip, pull and it will release. Put the cover back on and done. If windows tinted no one will see brake part day or night. If not tinted, there is a part number for a cover without the brake light.

Ian B
Thank you Ian B.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 AM

Confused. My SR came with a spoiler. I thought all did.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeper31
Confused. My SR came with a spoiler. I thought all did.
They do not automatically, it's an option. Could be dealer installed in some cases as well.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 PM

Spoiler is ordered and in route. Should have it Friday and hopefully I have time to install it Friday as well. I post up a few shots of it during the installation process.

I did talk with the guys over there at Wing King. Very good folks to deal with, and explained everything that was involved with it. Seems pretty straight forward, and shouldn't take to long.

I went with the QAB color, I thought it would go better with my Hyper gray wheels. I didn't want my SR looking like a midnight model. Gotta be different.

Houston QX3

Last edited by HoustonQX3; 05-31-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Well the spoiler showed up yesterday and installed it today in about 45 minutes. Color is spot on and finish and quality are absolutely flawless. The only hitch is you have to splice the spoilers wires into the factory connector. The two outside bolts were a little tricky, but using a long screwdriver and taping the bolts to it allow you to get them started.

The finished product looks great and I recommend using a Uni bit to have nice clean cut holes. I give Spoiler Wing and king an A++.

Name:  DF0268D5-1BBA-473C-9119-76686DC145C0_zpslyi7cnvu.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  277.2 KB

Name:  ED3A6F4F-04C7-47D9-BDF4-F116F9506F00_zps5lcdkccg.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  185.8 KB

Name:  A939D373-B085-496B-91FE-1A887DBA1947_zpsfhphhgfo.jpg
Views: 2734
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  DF3C067F-FC25-4CA2-9E9B-A5B12BB2E4B9_zpsjqds9t7p.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  276.6 KB

Here is the little screwdriver trickName:  64D4E30F-7F2F-4387-B3CC-B30CF93B8151_zpsgb63nwxg.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  104.5 KB

Needs to be a fairly long screwdriverName:  9427D8E0-BD74-461B-8D2F-E807D0F94859_zpsvlh1qjg8.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  173.1 KB

Finished Product
Name:  2EBAB7A3-B5EC-42AE-AB5E-2652953F789D_zpsu35wkvyj.jpg
Views: 3001
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  SPoiler_zpsj1kfslbw.jpg
Views: 3402
Size:  240.9 KB

Name:  spoiler1_zpsynjpr4oi.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  343.1 KB

HoustonQX3

Last edited by HoustonQX3; 06-03-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonQX3
Well the spoiler showed up yesterday and installed it today in about 45 minutes. Color is spot on and finish and quality are absolutely flawless. The only hitch is you have to splice the spoilers wires into the factory connector. The two outside bolts were a little tricky, but using a long screwdriver and taping the bolts to it allow you to get them started.

The finished product looks great and I have no I do recommend a Uni bit to have nice clean cut holes. I give Spoiler Wing and king an A++.

Here is the little screwdriver trick

Needs to be a fairly long screwdriver

Finished Product

HoustonQX3
Touchdown Houston!!! Looks great congrats and welcome to our club.

Ian B
Old 06-03-2017, 08:14 PM

The instructions call to use the uni but to make holes in the second layer of the trunk so that you can simply get a socket on the outer holes. I personally used my wife's fingers to get the bolt started 😄

Looks great. Congrats.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Resurrecting this thread

Does the Spoiler and Wing King spoiler come with a replacement trunk weatherstrip (P/N 84830-4RA1B)? I see the OEM version does, and was curious why you would need a different weatherstrip.

The aftermarket version also doesn't come with the torsion bars. If you're interested in eventually replacing them, here are the part #s.

Trunk Lid Torsion Bar (RH) 84432-4RA0C
Trunk Lid Torsion Bar (LH) 84433-4RA0C

It looks like these are the P/Ns for the sport spoiler. The premium spoiler uses even a different set with an extension 4RA0B).

Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Intro & Spoiler feedback/thanks...

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself & thank all of the members for the great posts/information in the 8TH gen forum! A great forum for sure! So I traded in my 05 Altima(9+ years & 230k miles) a couple weeks ago & got my 2016 Maxima S. I was going to buy a 2017 but I was able to get mine w/ only 18k miles for $22k. AND it drove just like the 2017s I test drove and the previous owner took amazing care of it, so I couldn't pass it up. : )

Everyone's feedback on the wing king spoiler were spot on, thank you!. I got mine over the weekend & since my tinting was completed on tues, got the spoiler installed tues night. I was even happier afterwards considering when I picked up my car, the parts at the dealership quoted me $350 for the spoiler. So take that w/ the labor I saved at least $400-$500. Anyone wanting a spoiler that knows how to measure & use a drill, its not a hard mod. Like other members have said, drilling is the hardest part which is not bad at all. A special thanks to HoustonQX3 on pointing out the long screwdriver for the outer screws, glad I didn't have to drill through the second layer(inside the trunk) to tighten those up. I will post pics when I have enuff posts.
Next up, adding my subs w/ the AudioControl converter on Sat. Looking fwd to this forum & all the great info here!
Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 AM

what type of nuts are holding down the end threaded studs of the spoiler to the trunk?
i have plastic things that looks funky and i think is the reason why one end is lifting up...
i'm getting annoyed how it has the frakken gap.

thank you for any reply (in advance)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 AM

There are 4 threaded points on the bottom of the spoiler where the screws go to fasten it to the trunk. no nuts.... look close at the various pics showing the bottom of the spoiler.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bghouse
There are 4 threaded points on the bottom of the spoiler where the screws go to fasten it to the trunk. no nuts.... look close at the various pics showing the bottom of the spoiler.
gotcha!
i guess the factory one has threaded studs, and aftermarket ones have threaded inserts on the spoiler.

another question.. does that require plastic washers on the middle holes between the spoiler and deck lid?

i am thinking i received another bad re-installation from the shop (a warranty re-work on the trunk).
Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

Nothing like some extra rear downforce on a FWD car.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I see this thread is from awhile ago, BUT - I'm about to put a spoiler on my 2019. To you fellas' who put one on - what did you use ( or did you use anything ) to cover the bare metal after drilling ??? I went to my local dealer to get the " Rust Preventative " P/N 999MP_9G001P, but he told me they were out, and would have to order a case of 12 !!!
Anybody ?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM

I just used some touch up paint... actually used black, as I had it for the Camaro...
Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Also try POR15 to encapsulate the bare metal if you plan on keeping this car for the long term
Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM

I'm a little confused about how to use the long screwdriver and tape trick. It's hard to tell what's going on based on the pics. Can someone give a little more detail? I'm about to install my S&WK "premium spoiler" and really would prefer not to drill through the second layer in the truck. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by calabs
I'm a little confused about how to use the long screwdriver and tape trick. It's hard to tell what's going on based on the pics. Can someone give a little more detail? I'm about to install my S&WK "premium spoiler" and really would prefer not to drill through the second layer in the truck. Thanks!
OK, figured it out after removing the trunk cover. I had to remove the back up light to squeeze in the hole. Overall I'm happy with the install.
BTW, when removing the 3rd light assembly, I found an insert on the replacement "blank" that's made to clip the wiring into the blank. I've read some folks used electrical tape to cover the wiring harness. Not necessary if you replace the light with the blank.

Quick Reply: My attempt at installing spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King