8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Car door edge guards saved the day BUT

Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Car door edge guards saved the day BUT

Brand new car 2017 Platinum and did not even have it 48 hrs. The old man accidentally put the door to close to the house garage port, chipping the lower bottom door. It has concrete sides very unforgiving. Was he PISSED at himself for that. I checked and the good news is it did not chip the paint or take it with. The edge guard saved it from that. Thank goodness! But the way it looks from taking the hit. It looks chipped. You know how plastic looks like that with these when it looks torn/pulled up. That is how it looks. I don't want to strip the whole door piece off. Its small but noticeable imo to me. I can spot it. So I was thinking of just picking the little pieces off and throwing a new little piece over it? What do you think? Or is it best to just take it all off and put a whole new strip on it?

I cant believe he done this. I will edit the post with a pic or 2.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 05-27-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Hell no, I would replace the whole thing if it was my car. Damn, you did not get to put your own first ding.

Ian B
Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 PM

I'm **** about cosmetics so I would replace the whole strip. No one would notice the goofed-up plastic strip but I would. ;-)
Old 05-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Oh I am **** as well with cosmetics. When I seen it I was not sure to laugh or cry. Less then 48 hrs on such a beautiful car. Ugh! Like I said the only flip side I seen is it not being chipped away the actual paint. UNLESS it is underneath and I am just not seeing it yet. But pretty convinced from looking at it should be fine. Might get a little thing of touch up paint just in case.

This should do yes?
Amazon Amazon

Or does the body shops usually use something better? I noticed when buying the car it had the edge guards added for $199 He would rather have the body shop pull it off and put a new strip on. I explained they would probably easily charge $50-$75 bucks.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 PM

The 3M should work just fine. The soapy water will allow you to just slip on the edge guard. When the water evaporates the 3M adhesive will be permanent.

Search this Thread