8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Changing out my rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Changing out my rotors and pads

My '16 maxima now has 17K miles. My brakes have been squealing daily for the past 5k miles and theres a judder when braking from higher speeds. Its really annoying as its my daily driver. I tried to ignore the squealing which is very high pitched and embarrassing but the juddering is so bad. I have decided that i wanna change out my rotors and pads. I need help with whether to go OEM (which I'm having second thoughts about) or to go aftermarket. and if so which brand? also should i get drilled or slotted or both? or just blank? I need your feedback please.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:52 AM

Mine started squealing since my car has 5k km till I changed the pads at 50k km.

Changed it with OEM pads and since then, I've driven around 12k km with no squealing.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Take it to dealer. Have them inspect rotors for runout before throwing money at it. Could be faulty rotors.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Yes take in or if you want to upgrade then go drill and slotted with the new gt pads from autozone they work great i use them on my company vehicles. But if you want to go crazy do a big brake kit .
Old 06-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by AAQ27
My '16 maxima now has 17K miles. My brakes have been squealing daily for the past 5k miles and theres a judder when braking from higher speeds. Its really annoying as its my daily driver. I tried to ignore the squealing which is very high pitched and embarrassing but the juddering is so bad. I have decided that i wanna change out my rotors and pads. I need help with whether to go OEM (which I'm having second thoughts about) or to go aftermarket. and if so which brand? also should i get drilled or slotted or both? or just blank? I need your feedback please.
you are still under warrenty..take it to the dealer. they replaced my rotors and pads for free at 20k miles. was squeaking at every slow stop. They tried a resurface but didn't do anything so they replaced it all
Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rotors, breaks, and ACC

I'm not sure where best to post this, new here and couldn't find a decent thread for it. I have a 2016 maxima platinum. Bought in September 2016 and now has roughly 17k miles on it. I drive at least 1000 miles a month, probably 1/3 of it or more highway. I haven't experienced the squeaking like mentioned here and in some other posts. I began having some vibration/judder when I would slightly apply breaks at a high speed. Had it checked with an oil change. Said front rotors were warped. Replaced those. Took car home and still had an issue. Returned same day, rode with a tech, agreed something still wrong. Scheduled another appointment. Then I was told the hubs or whatever were also messed up in the front. Left car, got loaner due to not wanting me driving and messing up new rotors. Finally got part in and fixed. Went to pick up car again. Drove it before returning loaner. Issue still there. Can feel it even more at lower speed with slightly braking to slow to a stop. Left car. Called again today and was told they've never seen breaks so bad. Have replaced all pads, rotors, and whatever else is involved there with the front and back brakes. I'm not knowledgeable on car parts. Anyways, thankfully it's under warranty so no charge at this point. They're saying my driving style is the cause, although when I asked the first time taking it in, they said it didn't seem like that was it and weren't sure the cause. I'm concerned this will happen again shortly after I'm out of the warranty. I'm also beginning to think it's more how the adaptive cruise is setup and it's caused so much of the hard breaking. I drive no differently than previous cars I've owned (mildly aggressive) and have never even had to change pads early. Has anyone else had similar problems or theories on the adaptive cruise and breaks?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM

My wife's car had the vibration/judder issue at speeds between 65mph and 80mph. Dealer told her she needed new pads and rotors resurfaced. For the price the quoted I was able to do it for less than half. Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads (front only) for $200. issue resolved. However, the pads had a lot of life left so no Idea why they said she needed new pads. It was probably the rotor needing to be trimmed to get rid of deposits on them but the effort and time to take them somewhere and get them resurfaced while I waited was simply not worth it. 1hr for each front wheel and I was done.

Pads feel similar in initial bite to OEM but are a lot more grabby at speed and not in a bad way. Pedal feel is similar. I was hesitant on the HPS due to reviews out there stating that they had a weak initial bite but I have yet to see that. I followed the recommendation go bed the pads properly. Better initial bite than the Porterfield R4S pads I tried on her previous car.

One thing to note.. a lot of braking is left on the table. The caliper is undersized and the swept area on the rotor leaves 1" of untouched surface. I had not noticed that before.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 PM

just had dealer turn rotors front and replace pads for $229.00 taxes included. i was having shaking steering wheel when braking high speeds. I have 33k miles. Now it breaks like a baby and found price reasonable.

Ian B