8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Sunroof Rattle during Carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof Rattle during Carwash?

I have a 2017 Maxima Platinum. The pano roof rattles loudly during a carwash when going under the air dryers. I haven't noticed any water leak but wonder if others hear this. I have had other cars with glass roofs in the past and never had this noise. I think it might be the middle section where the sunshade rolls up.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Mine does the same exact thing. I also haven't noticed any leaks. Maybe its somewhat normal?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Indymanlaw
I have a 2017 Maxima Platinum. The pano roof rattles loudly during a carwash when going under the air dryers. I haven't noticed any water leak but wonder if others hear this. I have had other cars with glass roofs in the past and never had this noise. I think it might be the middle section where the sunshade rolls up.
Do you think that the concentrated amount of airflow is causing this to happen?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Yup, I got scared the first time I heard it as well. Now I just prop a finger or two on the front sunroof; it seems to reduce the vibration a bit. No leaks so far.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:40 PM

The carwash option I use is called 'monsoon', and not only is the water pouring like Niagara Falls, but the dryer flow could lift a Piper Cub off the ground. Because the double panel roof takes up virtually the entire roof of the car, there is a very large suface to blow against. This noise scared my granddaughter the first time she experienced it. But I have not found a single drop of water leaking through.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM

I use a 100% touch free (only water & soap) car wash, and one day I sprung for the $25+ wash with all of the suds and sprays offered. This time the pressure of the water popped off the floating roof back panel, technical name MOULDING-REAR FENDER. Two of the clips cracked. It took Nissan 10 days to order the part, all under warranty. I've seen a few other 8th gens around town with the same issue.

I guess I'll go back to the $8 car wash or hand wash.

While I'm complaining about first world problems, I've also noticed the unique door style on the 8th gen traps a lot of water and soap. Can't just run through the wash and hop on the highway to dry the car like past vehicles.

Pic is not my car: