Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Navigation map update failure...... (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/698474-navigation-map-update-failure.html)

FattiesGoneWild 06-30-2017 07:39 PM

Navigation map update failure......

Well this is lovely. I got the new maps today from Nissan and decided to do the upgrade. Everything was going great until a certain point when it asked for the old card. I put it in and it says card cannot be read with error code E-01-1007. Does anyone know how to fix this? I will call Nissan map team tomorrow to see if they can assist. I was following directions to a T. I am also met with the following screen now since the map update failure. Picture attached.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....958bcadf14.jpg

lightonthehill 07-02-2017 12:14 AM

All I can do is sympathize. I paid $150 for a navi update on my 7th gen 2009 around six years ago. The updates had to be installed by the dealer in the earlier years of the 7th gen. My dealer techs tried three times over a three week period, called Nissan half a dozen times, but never were able to load the update in my 7th gen Maxima. Normally, I would continue pestering Nissan and my dealer until the updates loaded, but I had so many irons in the fire at that time that that I didn't have any more time to waste on what I came to consider a hopeless effort. I eventually gave up and just wrote off the $150 as a lost cause. Still leaves a foul taste in my mouth. My dealer tech is sharp, and has proven this to me many times over the years. So I blame Nissan for that miserable experience.

At the prices they charge, there is absolutely no excuse for your problems loading the new maps. Please don't wimp out like I did. Keep calling until the new maps load.

FattiesGoneWild 07-02-2017 11:15 AM

Nissan has no fall back feature to restart the upgrade process again that they know of. At least the Nav team I spoke to on the phone from when I ordered. I called them and my only choice is for them is to send me another new card. BUT they want the first one back on my dime then ship out the new one. I have a very important trip coming up in a couple weeks. I cant miss it. So off to the dealer I go. I hope they have a way to restart the upgrade process and clear this error. Nissan did set up the return 2 ways. Replacement or refund depending on what dealer does to help. When a bad update goes wrong. This thing wipes out EVERYTHING feature wise. You cant do **** with the car other then drive it.

If I had to guess and was a betting man. Something got corrupted during the update and most likely from moving/removing multiple times. It is such a stupid update process seriously. After all the switching out. Nissan says in the manual you are free to do what you want with the old card. Wth is the point then doing all the switching out?!?! IF I do end up having to get another new card. I will get it through the dealer because of crunch time and send the other one back for a refund.

gizzsdad 07-03-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9151275)
Wth is the point then doing all the switching out?!?!

No tech here, but my understanding was that the old card is re-inserted to transfer the settings and history (addresses, etc.) from your prior use.

Rick Daggett 07-03-2017 09:45 AM

I did the update without a hitch. Must have been lucky

jgilbs 07-03-2017 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 9151250)
All I can do is sympathize. I paid $150 for a navi update on my 7th gen 2009 around six years ago. The updates had to be installed by the dealer in the earlier years of the 7th gen. My dealer techs tried three times over a three week period, called Nissan half a dozen times, but never were able to load the update in my 7th gen Maxima. Normally, I would continue pestering Nissan and my dealer until the updates loaded, but I had so many irons in the fire at that time that that I didn't have any more time to waste on what I came to consider a hopeless effort. I eventually gave up and just wrote off the $150 as a lost cause. Still leaves a foul taste in my mouth. My dealer tech is sharp, and has proven this to me many times over the years. So I blame Nissan for that miserable experience.

At the prices they charge, there is absolutely no excuse for your problems loading the new maps. Please don't wimp out like I did. Keep calling until the new maps load.

Are you serious? You let your dealer rip you off like that? If I paid $150 and they didn't actually complete what they are paid for, I would demand a refund, or file a chargeback on my CC.

FattiesGoneWild 07-03-2017 11:34 AM

Update. The car is at the dealer and the tech personally called me who is working on it for I could explain what happened during the update process. He done all he can and no go. Nissan has no fail safe process even for the techs themselves to start it over properly. He tried to do it manually clearing the codes and resetting the system. That is unbelievable. Basically it comes down to ordering another brand new card and he can then load it with out having to use the old one. The good news though. They are ordering the latest maps again I had just ordered myself and they will cover it as a good will since its a brand new car. Apparently the old card also had a mismatching vin number and did not even match ours.

lightonthehill 07-04-2017 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs (Post 9151363)
Are you serious? You let your dealer rip you off like that? If I paid $150 and they didn't actually complete what they are paid for, I would demand a refund, or file a chargeback on my CC.

This situation was sort of convoluted. After they were unable to load the new nav maps, they let me look at a Maxima like mine on which that version of the maps had loaded successfully a month or so earlier., and I checked out dozens of roads that were not correct on the maps that came with the car, and none had been corrected. At that point, I told my dealer that I did not want the non-updated maps, but would accept around $150 in parts, maintenance and service and they could get the $150 back from Nissan, because they were in better position to do that than I was. I used the $150 credit to buy a set of new tires for the car. I have no idea whether they actually got the $150 back, but I got the new tires I had been looking at and got them cheaper than I could have gotten them from a tire store. In effect, I transferred the problem to my dealer. But the whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth regarding updating the maps going forward.

RickSmith 07-04-2017 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9151372)
Update. The car is at the dealer and the tech personally called me who is working on it for I could explain what happened during the update process. He done all he can and no go. Nissan has no fail safe process even for the techs themselves to start it over properly. He tried to do it manually clearing the codes and resetting the system. That is unbelievable. Basically it comes down to ordering another brand new card and he can then load it with out having to use the old one. The good news though. They are ordering the latest maps again I had just ordered myself and they will cover it as a good will since its a brand new car. Apparently the old card also had a mismatching vin number and did not even match ours.

You are really going to be upset if you don't notice any significant difference with the new map vs the old map.

Good luck.

FattiesGoneWild 07-04-2017 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RickSmith (Post 9151427)
You are really going to be upset if you don't notice any significant difference with the new map vs the old map.

Good luck.

I have always had and will continue to have the latest map updates for our cars that come with navigation. Just a personal preference kinda thing.

FattiesGoneWild 07-06-2017 11:57 PM

Epic failure we have here. Tech received new card today and still no go. He even had to call Nissan what to do next. Nissan advised just replacing the whole unit with another brand new one. Nissan said it was just a "major" system glitch that happened during the update. Will have the new unit on Monday. Apparently this is a very "rare" occurrence. I actually tend to believe that and just got unlucky. DAMN! This sounds like a computer bios update. If it goes bad it will essentially brick the whole system. I would imagine the Nissan engineering team will be looking at my dead unit to see what went wrong when they get it back. I am one sad panda as I said before. It literally takes out EVERYTHING with it if you get a bad update.

FattiesGoneWild 07-07-2017 11:46 AM

More salt added. I got a call from my dealer today to bring it back. They apologized and was very sorry about having to come back AGAIN. They need to physically pull out the unit and get some numbers off of it before they can order it. The drama continues.....

FattiesGoneWild 07-07-2017 08:35 PM

A brand new replacement unit has been ordered today with the information they needed from the defective unit. It will be here Wednesday.

FattiesGoneWild 07-14-2017 03:06 PM

New unit installed with the old maps. Gotta love it. Especially when they said it would come with the newest maps. Pretty pissed off about it so now I have to reorder the maps. BUT here is the kicker. They are almost refusing to install them for me since the last time it bricked the system. I wont touch it myself since if it did happen again. It would be on my dime and they would stick me with the bill. They even said it was a "pricey" repair and if it happened again. Nissan will not cover it. So its like saying I cant ever update my car with new maps. Not flying with me.

RickSmith 07-15-2017 03:27 AM

Wow...great customer service.

Ablackathome 07-15-2017 05:30 PM

What?! That's insane. So- my '17 Platinum that gets delivered Monday ('16 was totaled)will need a map update and I'm not going near it until I hear this is resolved I guess?!

casiouser 07-15-2017 06:05 PM

Can they not get a card from a 2017 on the lot?

Ablackathome 07-15-2017 06:17 PM

Was this update ready when the '17 was shipped? Not sure. Have to ask. Anyone know?

Darkwing48 07-15-2017 09:29 PM

As a software engineer who had to do maps for a GIS system... this is so cringeworthy.

Ablackathome 07-16-2017 07:22 AM

Why cringeworthy?

FattiesGoneWild 07-16-2017 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ablackathome (Post 9152396)
Was this update ready when the '17 was shipped? Not sure. Have to ask. Anyone know?

Depends on build date. The newer build dates are coming with 16-17 maps. If like me was totally unaware of this crap going on. You will have 14-15 maps. This new map update apparently just came out last month. DO NOT take delivery of the new car if you have 14-15 maps. Check to make sure you have 16-17 and if you don't. Make the dealer eat the cost as part of the new purchase. I suspect many potential new 2017 owners will be running into this and not knowing about it. Until its to late and have taken delivery already. The dealer is sure not going to let customers know about this.

Ablackathome 07-17-2017 11:24 AM

My '17 was just delivered. The date on the navi kit is labeled April 17th. Think I'm ok?

FattiesGoneWild 07-17-2017 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ablackathome (Post 9152513)
My '17 was just delivered. The date on the navi kit is labeled April 17th. Think I'm ok?

You need to go into settings to verify the map dates. If it says years 14-15 you got screwed and its to late since you officially took delivery. If it says 16-17 then you have the newest maps for the car. April sounds okay and you might be fine. But like I said no way to check for sure unless you check yourself in the navi settings for map version.

Darkwing48 07-18-2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ablackathome (Post 9152414)
Why cringeworthy?

I've worked with a GIS system in which if one or more bad map files was loaded, it jus display a black space on its "space." The System can be updated on realtime without restarting the system. And since I was modifying the data of each map file, it impress me on how tolerant the system were when I omitted or miscalculated the map's data.

I don't know how Nissan is doing it's map application. But I love the practice of modular software. Or in this case, if the update does not work, it'll revert back to the original state. But I'm going off topic.

FattiesGoneWild 07-18-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48 (Post 9152585)
I've worked with a GIS system in which if one or more bad map files was loaded, it jus display a black space on its "space." The System can be updated on realtime without restarting the system. And since I was modifying the data of each map file, it impress me on how tolerant the system were when I omitted or miscalculated the map's data.

I don't know how Nissan is doing it's map application. But I love the practice of modular software. Or in this case, if the update does not work, it'll revert back to the original state. But I'm going off topic.

I still cannot believe Nissan does not have a feature like that when updating. It is literally all or nothing. Scary as hell when we are talking about a $3k unit here. This is why I will never EVER do a nav update myself again. I have updated many cars and this is the first time I ever ran into a bad update bricking the system. I received the new card yesterday from Nissan that I had reordered since the serial number changed being another brand new unit. Dealer will be doing in on Monday for me. And you want to know why the new maps did not come with the unit? Parts has no way of ordering it other then the card it came with for the car. They refer customers to the Nissan website for map updates. They could have ordered it themselves but would have had to mark up the price for doing so. They did not tell me this until I started pushing them on me reordering myself and them installing it. They pretty much lied to me telling me the new maps would be there and it would be the latest.

Did they honestly think I was not going to check or what? Before we even left or I started the car. I took the service writer with me to verify the newest maps happened to be installed. So he seen the same thing as me when they were the old maps AGAIN! All I got from him is the tech said he had ordered the latest stuff. Maybe just MAYBE he did and Nissan put the older version in the unit again. I don't know. Another thing. When they put the new unit in. Now I have a nice annoying rattle behind the unit so I am having them correct that as well when it goes in. I am sure they wont be to pleased having to pull out the unit once again to track down the rattle. It sounds like a wire hitting up against something.

FattiesGoneWild 07-18-2017 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by casiouser (Post 9152395)
Can they not get a card from a 2017 on the lot?

Not that simple although I wish it was! The cards are locked to each vehicle. You cannot just swap them out.

FattiesGoneWild 07-18-2017 06:48 PM

I said the hell with it and went full swing myself. I documented the whole process recording it step by step move for move. No problem this time and it updated just fine. They now read 16-17 for the maps.

lightonthehill 07-24-2017 11:43 AM

This thread is scary. I have now decided I am going to lay in an expanded set of PAPER MAPS of each state. I am beyond dismayed that Nissan has painted itself into such a hopeless corner. I am convinced this tangle resulted in a butchered attempt to assure that there was no way a buyer of an update for their nav system would never be able to share it with another car owner.

Nissan built a convoluted web, and the great spider has now arrived on the scene.

gizzsdad 07-24-2017 11:52 AM

Probably worth noting that the vast majority of us have had a seamless experience updating our maps!

FattiesGoneWild 07-24-2017 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad (Post 9153148)
Probably worth noting that the vast majority of us have had a seamless experience updating our maps!

Agreed. Literally the chances of this happening is slim to none. But it does happen as you can see. Just extremely rare and was a first for me with any car I have owned updating nav systems.

lightonthehill 09-05-2017 03:16 PM

Just an update to cover my experience:

A few weeks ago, I took advantage of Nissan's August offer of an updated navi map/info package for $20 off ($109 instead of $129 IIRC). The new nav package arrived (from Memphis!) a week later.

I took it to my dealer Tuesday morning, because they have a guy that is good with this stuff. He began the load at 8AM. He said the instructions say the load takes 20 minutes, but the ones he has loaded so far have taken well over an hour. He also said that a few of his fellow techs have had the process fail, finding out later that they need to turn on the 'power saving' option in the car before beginning the process, else any interruption in power brings everything to a halt. He avoids that problem by hooking the car up to a battery charger before beginning, and so has always had success.

The process ran until 11AM (two hours), and was a total success. He said the process had him remove and reinstall the card many times, but that he did exactly as the system told him, and everything ran to completion. I now have new maps, new restaurant/gas stations/points of interest info, and the NAV date is 2016/2017. No more 2013 garbage for me.

I still think there could be a better way for this process to be handled on Nissan's end, but am just glad to now have updated info at my fingertips. The old info was a real problem for me during the several weeks I spent touring western NC during July.

guitarman 09-05-2017 05:40 PM

"The process ran until 11AM (two hours), and was a total success. He said the process had him remove and reinstall the card many times, but that he did exactly as the system told him, and everything ran to completion. I now have new maps, new restaurant/gas stations/points of interest info, and the NAV date is 2016/2017. No more 2013 garbage for me."

I'm glad to see there was success. Curiously, as a comparison, I did the upgrade myself and it took 1/2 hour. I wonder what accounts for the difference?

lightonthehill 09-05-2017 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman (Post 9156702)
"The process ran until 11AM (two hours), and was a total success. He said the process had him remove and reinstall the card many times, but that he did exactly as the system told him, and everything ran to completion. I now have new maps, new restaurant/gas stations/points of interest info, and the NAV date is 2016/2017. No more 2013 garbage for me."

I'm glad to see there was success. Curiously, as a comparison, I did the upgrade myself and it took 1/2 hour. I wonder what accounts for the difference?

I wondered that myself, as I remembered that several here had loaded the new data and none mentioned two hours. It may be that my tech was dividing his time between my car and other cars with other tasks. There are almost always a dozen or more cars in my dealer's service area. I watched the work on my car for awhile, but then the service manager and I chatted quite a bit, as we have been close friends for over ten years, and I wanted to know how her horse farm is doing. The literature that came with the new card mentioned twenty minutes for loading. My tech probably also included the time to set up and take off the battery charger. Whatever, I'm so happy to find the new stuff is now in my car and available. And I was not charged a penny for the loading.

Thejet 03-11-2019 09:24 AM

Fatties,

Literally having same issue with 17 Maxima. Bought used, didn't come with SD card. I got the SN off the back the unit, ordered from Nissan Navigation.com. New SD came in, and after putting in and out twice, this screen popped up. However, now the screen will not go away. I can't even listen to radio or etc. Did that particular error screen stay on for you or did it go away?

FattiesGoneWild 03-11-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thejet (Post 9197283)
Fatties,

Literally having same issue with 17 Maxima. Bought used, didn't come with SD card. I got the SN off the back the unit, ordered from Nissan Navigation.com. New SD came in, and after putting in and out twice, this screen popped up. However, now the screen will not go away. I can't even listen to radio or etc. Did that particular error screen stay on for you or did it go away?

The error stayed and the whole unit needed replacement. It was bricked beyond repair.

Thejet 03-11-2019 04:15 PM

Well, according to a guide I found, there are 5 different SD cards compatible for 17’ Maximas. Ended up finding mine specific that matched the SN number on the unit. So hopefully it will work. Customers said the dealer I bought from have nothing but 100% results!

Guide is here https://maxima.org/forums/attachment...2&d=1542393365

FattiesGoneWild 03-11-2019 04:34 PM

My case was different. I was upgrading to the newest maps from previous sd card my car already had.

Edwin Guerra 10-11-2019 07:36 AM

Same issue but eventually got it to work

You need to buy an sd card from the dealer for your head unit and use that as the “old card” in the update process. Only problem is the sd card from the dealer will be useless after the update. After almost $300 bucks on 2 cards, I’m just happy I didn’t have to replace the head unit.

hope this helps

2young2retire 10-11-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Daggett (Post 9151359)
I did the update without a hitch. Must have been lucky

Same here, no issues.

Kelisha SweetiePie Payne 10-11-2019 02:46 PM

Help!!!!

Originally Posted by Thejet (Post 9197283)
Fatties,

So your situation is exactly what happened to me. We’re you ever able to fix the problem without having to buy a whole new unit