8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Blown fuse after HID Foglights installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Blown fuse after HID Foglights installed

Ive read that the 15a fuse needs to be replaced with a 20a from multiple sources. I've looked in the manual and see no indication as to where I may find this fuse. Can some one help point this one out to me. Here's some picture of what I see.
This box right here I'm scared to unplug, but when I tilt it to a certain side I see fuses under it?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Fuses are found under steering wheel.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll check there thanks

Last edited by xkyokutsu; 07-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

is this what I'm looking for?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Pull that box you are holding in your hand. Fuses are under there. You can actually pull it and tilt it without any worries. There is a fuse puller in the fuse box underneath the steering wheel. Use that to pull.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by xkyokutsu
Ive read that the 15a fuse needs to be replaced with a 20a from multiple sources. I've looked in the manual and see no indication as to where I may find this fuse. Can some one help point this one out to me. Here's some picture of what I see.

This box right here I'm scared to unplug, but when I tilt it to a certain side I see fuses under it?

here's one
Fog Lamp fuse Fog Lamp fuse
and it's located in the IPDM (power distribution) box adjacent to the coolant reservoir. It is fuse# 43 and it's a 15A.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Would like to see pics, of you HID Fog lights. Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was under the impression that I would pull one of these 15a out and put a 20a in its place. Anthony your saying I need that Amazon item?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by xkyokutsu
I was under the impression that I would pull one of these 15a out and put a 20a in its place. Anthony your saying I need that Amazon item?
never heard of anyone putting HID in fog lights. It doesnt matter where u get it, just make sure its good quality. It will be great you ask a tech from the dealer make sure is safe to do so. you dont want to put a lot of strain on the car's electric system.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM

from what some ee has told me, increasing the fuse may damage the wire as it may create too much heat in the wire before the fuse will "blow." safety factors are usually high, but it is a risk.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found the fuse, it's in this box. Posting pics for future reference. Thank you everyone who posted.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 AM

X2

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
from what some ee has told me, increasing the fuse may damage the wire as it may create too much heat in the wire before the fuse will "blow." safety factors are usually high, but it is a risk.

In my mind, it's never a good idea to up a fuse from what the circuit was originally intended for. A lot of people do it (particularly ones who put HID into their fog lights). It will most likely work, but at what cost/risk?

Maybe I'm giving my age away, but back in the day when houses had screw-in fuses, when a fuse would blow and there was no spare around, people would stick pennies in the fuse box to close the circuit!! Now this is absolutely much worse than having a higher Amp fuse inline, but fires were started nonetheless.