8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

After Year One, How Is the Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Hi Light,

I'm glad your experience with he dealer has been so good. While I too would like to have friendly and competent Nissan reps, it's not a deal breaker for me as I usually only buy cars every 8-10 years, and I hope I don't have to see them too often for service. I guess the best I can hope for is that it scores at average or above average reliability. Seems like Nissan in general lags behind some of the other brands, but they also make the el-cheapo Versa so how heavily does that affect their ratings?

I digress a bit, currently I drive a 2007 Hyundai Azera... which I would have bought again in a flash if they didn't turn it into Toyota clone. That and it's no longer on sale next year. Aside from an annoying seat belt sensor issue that I've had fixed 3 times, it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, and a real sleeper when it comes to performance. Funny thing was that when I bought it, I also test drove a maxima but was turned off by the ugly grill and bare bones interior it had at the time (IMHO). But wow, has it come a long way!
stick with Hyundai if you expect the same build quality you've experienced with your Azera. I'm not being bitter or sarcastic. Being honest. I've had a lot of seat time in different vehicles from different brands in the past few months... Chrysler, Jeep, GMC, Kia, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. The only vehicle that I didn't feel had a build quality that was as good if not better than Nissan was the Mitsu, and MAYBE the Kia (it was a Sedona). Some of the others felt of a much higher quality than Nissan. Take another quick look at that list and let that sink in... It's not what I expected to experience.

And I don't think the Versa Makes up the bulk of Nissan complaints. I believe the majority of the major complaints have been from Altima and Pathfinder owners... But I'm quite sure all models have had complaints

Last edited by CNTRT; 09-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM

fishlet - What CNTRT said. The Maxima almost always rates as average or better than average in the large national surveys (such as Consumer Reports). They also almost always rate as more reliable than several other Nissan models. But if we go down all the posts here on Maxima.org, we do find a myriad of problems, some large, some small, but all sort of disappointing. I feel lucky that I have had wonderful reliability with my Maximas (drove several past 200K miles). I would suggest that whatever you consider buying, be sure to test drive it carefully, noticing any and all aberrations from what would be considered perfection. If you are going to plunk down Maxima-type money, you want to be sure that, at least you are starting out with zero problems.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM

My 2016 Platinum Max turns 2 yrs old on Sept 25,2017. This is the best Maxima yet. No rattles , ticks or clicks. Love the handling on long trips. Love just about everything. Are there things that could be improved sure but out of all the Maxima's I have had this is buy far the best. Interior materials are outstanding. Just love everything about this Maxima.
Oh - my Gas milage is super good for a 300 horse engine.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 PM

I have had my SR for 13 months...and to be honest, I am very disappointed overall. It has had no major, or really even minor, problems; however, it just isn't engaging to drive. The CVT transmission, while efficient, just "saps" the connected feel of a traditional transmission from the car and in my opinion, hinders the car's ability to fully utilize all 300 HP and provide the driver with the fun an exhilaration driving a 300 HP car normally provides. The Maxima is NOT, by any stretch of the truest definition, "A Sports Car"...regardless of how many doors it has. It is, in truth and fact, a small/smallish full size four sedan, with good power, better-than-average handing and an "arresting exterior" design.

As such, after 13 months and 11K miles, I am selling it or trading the Maxima in on a 2018 Mustang GT. As I opened up my post with, I am very disappointed in how the car "feels" when driving and I am also disappointed in the car's "quickness"...(I knew when I bought the Maxima it wasn't "fast") I was expecting more performance than it provides. The Maxima is a comfortable cruiser, easily "eating up" mile after mile while allowing the occupants to do so in comfort. Perhaps I expected too much from a front wheel driven four door sedan, equipped with a CVT transmission...live and learn.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 AM

Hey AG2106,

Sorry you are disappointed with your ride, but I'm glad to hear you've had no big issues. I think it's just a matter of perspective. Having never owned a "sports car", just above-average performing sedans all my life, the Max drove pretty darn good on my 3 test drives so far. I used to do a little road racing when challenged, but living in Florida now that can be a dangerous proposition so I've mellowed out a lot. So having a car that's comfortable, reasonably quick, and stylish fits the bill pretty good.

After several months of avidly reading the comments on this site, I've concluded that i would like a "lightly used" Max. Can't seem to justify paying the new car premium these days when so many cars (from all brands it seems) have quality issues right out the gate. They seem to drive better after they have been broken in anyway.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Fishlet,

Thanks for the well-wishes; mine is a sliver 2016 SR...pristine condition. No one drives it, or really rides in it, except me. I had the factory oil changed at 1K miles, filled with Mobil 1 Extended Protection pure synthetic. I have changed the oil at 1K, 6K and again at 11K; I also have the tires rotated every oil change. And once a month, I detail the car. If you are interested in discussing purchasing mine, let me know. $28K is my payoff (I bought it under Nissan's 0% APR for 72 month incentive last September) and I will sell it for payoff. Depending on where you reside in Florida, we may not be too far apart. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:36 PM

13 months and 7600 miles... all good
Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks! Not a bad deal at all but I think I prefer the softer ride of an SL or platinum, and the wife wants the deep blue pearl :-)
Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by AG2016
I have had my SR for 13 months...and to be honest, I am very disappointed overall. It has had no major, or really even minor, problems; however, it just isn't engaging to drive. The CVT transmission, while efficient, just "saps" the connected feel of a traditional transmission from the car and in my opinion, hinders the car's ability to fully utilize all 300 HP and provide the driver with the fun an exhilaration driving a 300 HP car normally provides. The Maxima is NOT, by any stretch of the truest definition, "A Sports Car"...regardless of how many doors it has. It is, in truth and fact, a small/smallish full size four sedan, with good power, better-than-average handing and an "arresting exterior" design.

As such, after 13 months and 11K miles, I am selling it or trading the Maxima in on a 2018 Mustang GT. As I opened up my post with, I am very disappointed in how the car "feels" when driving and I am also disappointed in the car's "quickness"...(I knew when I bought the Maxima it wasn't "fast") I was expecting more performance than it provides. The Maxima is a comfortable cruiser, easily "eating up" mile after mile while allowing the occupants to do so in comfort. Perhaps I expected too much from a front wheel driven four door sedan, equipped with a CVT transmission...live and learn.
that is the one thing I think Nissan got right. The CVT in this car is matched very well to the engine in my opinion. This car is fast, and the acceleration is instantaneous and smooth. I don't have to wait for an automatic transmission to kick down a gear or 3 to start accelerating. It's just always ready to go.

also, the manual functions of this trans are not meant for acceleration (no matter how Nissan tries to market it), it's most functional when being used to decelerate, or drive quickly around curves and being able to hold the engine in a certain rev range for engine braking. Basically the manual mode is best for engine braking... Because God knows these brakes suck.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM

I tried manually shifting during my slow commute to see if it would use engine braking to slow the car down. I thought it would be useful in winter but it didn't seem to slow the car down when I "shifted down" at around 40-55km/h. I didn't notice any perceptible drop in my speed.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
I tried manually shifting during my slow commute to see if it would use engine braking to slow the car down. I thought it would be useful in winter but it didn't seem to slow the car down when I "shifted down" at around 40-55km/h. I didn't notice any perceptible drop in my speed.
Play with it to get used to the shift points. I use it to help me decelerate and it works well. Especially when I'm driving fast and traffic slows in front of me and I have to slow down quickly. Great for emergency stops

Anything from 40mph down to 20 mph you should downshift into 2nd... 20 and below, downshift into first. You'll notice a difference
Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Play with it to get used to the shift points. I use it to help me decelerate and it works well. Especially when I'm driving fast and traffic slows in front of me and I have to slow down quickly. Great for emergency stops

Anything from 40mph down to 20 mph you should downshift into 2nd... 20 and below, downshift into first. You'll notice a difference

Ah - maybe I was sticking in too "high a gear"... I'll try again, thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
Ah - maybe I was sticking in too "high a gear"... I'll try again, thanks.
i wanted to make sure what I said was accurate. I just checked and 1st goes up to 50mph, and 2nd goes up to 60mph. So you have room to be more aggressive with the downshifts for sure
Old 09-28-2017, 01:01 PM

....With the tire replacement from OEM GoodYear F1 to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 255/40R19, a better confort, handling/braking over dry and wet roads......
...I get used to listen the rattle somewhere inside the cockpit......I refused to let the dealer mechanics to dismantle the "car guts" in order to find the rattle source...
....I instaled a darkest tinted band along the superior part of the windshield.....
..Happy with the engine/exhaust mods and the aprox 20 HPs gained....
Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Two years in with my 2016 Platinum, and easily my favorite car from sixty-eight years of driving (began with 1949 Studebaker). I have owned nothing but Maximas since October of 1984, and always buy the first year of each new generation. I now have nine years of driving a CVT (all in Maximas) with not a whisper of trouble. I love the different feel of driving a CVT. I had to have my double-panel roof replaced, but that cost me nothing, and I have had no other problems. This car is agile as a tiger and tight as a tick. Trips are so much fun in this car. I keep it shiny, and get lots of compliments. I drive carefully, get all recommended maintenance, and expect to get a price well above Blue Book when I trade it in, just as I always have with my cream puff and ding-free Maximas. Life is truly good.
Wow! 68 years of driving! 49 Studebaker...amazing! I hope I'm still driving when (if) I reach such a milestone...
Old 10-04-2017, 07:04 PM

Test drive over the weekend or you might make the same mistake again.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have to be honest with you, I regret not leasing this car so I can return it in three years. I have had the loudest, most annoying and scary squeaking sound coming from the car as I am driving it almost every morning. They have serviced the brakes and parking brake 3 times already, and although the sound is not as terrible as it originally was, it's still there. The worst part is the dealership keeps trying to tell me the sound is normal, so I told them I'm going to test drive all their Maximas and make sure they are making the same sound as mine. I really do like this car other than this problem, but dealing with Nissan has been a headache. I've even talked to Corporate and they advised me to go back to the dealership. This might eventually turn into a lawsuit if they can't fix the issue.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM

If this is a new car and your U.S. state has the Lemon Law (3 strikes and out), then they may owe you a new car. They have 3 tries to fix the issue. Are you aware of this law?

Questions: Just noisy in the morning? Do you park outside or in a moist garage? Do you drive the car every day or is it parked for a few days?

Sounds like a brake pad squeal to me. Have you tried a different dealer or reputable brake service? Sounds like such a simple repair versus driving you nuts. If you suspect brakes then do what BMW recommends. Their autos are notorious for break squeal. They say to find a clear, dry, open road and make several quick as you can stops from 60mph, making sure to really mash the brake pedal without activating the anti-lock brake system. Try this a few times and see if this does not eliminate or drastically reduce the squeal. What you will be doing is "bedding" the brake linings (that is forming the linings to the micro-grooves of the rotors). At the same time you will be scrubbing off accumulated baked-on brake lining dust which is a prime cause of lining squeal. Has worked for me. Try it and report back.

Last edited by compyelc4; 10-05-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by compyelc4
If this is a new car and your U.S. state has the Lemon Law (3 strikes and out), then they may owe you a new car. They have 3 tries to fix the issue. Are you aware of this law?

Questions: Just noisy in the morning? Do you park outside or in a moist garage? Do you drive the car every day or is it parked for a few days?

Sounds like a brake pad squeal to me. Have you tried a different dealer or reputable brake service? Sounds like such a simple repair versus driving you nuts. If you suspect brakes then do what BMW recommends. Their autos are notorious for break squeal. They say to find a clear, dry, open road and make several quick as you can stops from 60mph, making sure to really mash the brake pedal without activating the anti-lock brake system. Try this a few times and see if this does not eliminate or drastically reduce the squeal. What you will be doing is "bedding" the brake linings (that is forming the linings to the micro-grooves of the rotors). At the same time you will be scrubbing off accumulated baked-on brake lining dust which is a prime cause of lining squeal. Has worked for me. Try it and report back.
Hey there,

So the car is parked outside and I do drive it everyday. I'm probably only driving it about 20 miles a day since I work close to home. I'm aware of the lemon law, but corporate is acting like they aren't. The dealership told me that after three tries, corporate will send out an engineer to look at it. This was false. They don't want anything to do with me which really makes me mad considering how expensive this car is. It's the SR midnight edition. I have taken it to three local Nissan dealerships. They can't recreate the sound when they drive it, as it usually occurs in the morning. The brakes have been dusted, parking brake adjusted, brakes.lubricated. I don't know what else they can do. I'm starting to think it might not even be a brake issue as the sound is occurring when the car is moving and I am not applying brakes. If anyone has any suggestions on what it could be, please.let me know so I can tell the dealership. Very frustrated with Nissan. I had read a few horror stories about the maxima but never thought it would happen to me. Biggest reason why I bought new..
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Nissans quality control has taken a dive in the recent years... That said, the power and smoothness of the Max will probably outweigh the lack of quality control. In 5 years though, it will probably feel like a 10 year old car. Thank Nissan and their cost cutting practices
Recent years? I had an 04 that in terms of reliability was put to shame by the 96 taurus i had prior and chevy's and hummers that followed. Nissans are cheaply made pieces of ****.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was set on a 17 Max, but you guys are scaring me to death.

Looking at a SV with around 10k miles on it and i HATE rattles. I will avoid a car if its known for rattles. I have very sensitive ears and this was really eye opening to see on here. I might have to reconsider now
Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Test drive over the weekend or you might make the same mistake again.
Thanks for the advice; however, having owned 4 Mustangs previously (including a 2015 Ecoboost), I know what to expect, both in terms of driving dynamics, build quality and overall functionality. A Mustang GT won't be as practical as my current Maxima SR or as gas efficient; however, it WILL drive and perform like a Sports Car. It will also FEEL and SHIFT like a Sports Car, which my current Maxima SR does NOT. I have a 2018 Mustang GT, with the 10 Speed Automatic and the Performance Package on order. When it arrives (late November - early December), I will sell the Maxima or trade it in...whichever is the best option for me. By then, I will owe less on the Maxima than trade in value, due to getting a great deal (33K Out The Door last September) and 0% APR.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the advice; however, having owned 4 Mustangs previously (including a 2015 Ecoboost), I know what to expect, both in terms of driving dynamics, build quality and overall functionality. A Mustang GT won't be as practical as my current Maxima SR or as gas efficient; however, it WILL drive and perform like a Sports Car. It will also FEEL and SHIFT like a Sports Car, which my current Maxima SR does NOT. I have a 2018 Mustang GT, with the 10 Speed Automatic and the Performance Package on order. When it arrives (late November - early December), I will sell the Maxima or trade it in...whichever is the best option for me. By then, I will owe less on the Maxima than trade in value, due to getting a great deal (33K Out The Door last September) and 0% APR.
Right. Because the Maxima is NOT a sports car. Its a family hauler with a few sporty characteristics nothing more or less. You bought the wrong car going in expecting a sports car. I mean was the front wheel drive and CVT not a dead give away to you or what? Or did you just look the other way expecting something from that setup that you would never get regardless? Its nothing personal and I am not trying to bash you. Obviously you know sports cars having mustangs. I just don't see how you could have liked the Maxima in the first place if you wanted a true and real sports car. Enjoy that new Stang it sounds like a BEAST!

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Right. Because the Maxima is NOT a sports car. Its a family hauler with a few sporty characteristics nothing more or less. You bought the wrong car going in expecting a sports car. I mean was the front wheel drive and CVT not a dead give away to you or what? Or did you just look the other way expecting something from that setup that you would never get regardless? Its nothing personal and I am not trying to bash you. Obviously you know sports cars having mustangs. I just don't see how you could have liked the Maxima in the first place if you wanted a true and real sports car.
Despite your "Smart and Snarky" tone...I will provide a few answers to you. The Maxima, aside from perhaps the last two generations, HAS been more of a "sports oriented 4 Door Sports Car". The 2002 Maxima, for example, had 255 HP, and was about 300 pounds lighter in weight, than a 260 HP Mustang GT. The Maxima was truly a "stealth 4DSC" in that guise. Even into the next two generations WITH a CVT, the Maxima was reasonably quick and could give Mustangs a challenge in the 0 to 60 sprint but, not in the quarter mile run. Up until the new Coyote engine was introduced in 2011, the Maxima was comparatively quick, in relation to a Mustang GT, with respect to the aforementioned criterion. So you may drop your snarky tone and pretense of "was the front wheel drive and CVT not a dead give away to you or what?" I had a 2011 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR and it was, WITH A CVT, more engaging and direct to drive than my current Maxima, despite the "improved" CVT, with improved algorithms and "shift points."

As far as your comment "did you just look the other way expecting something from that setup that you would never get regardless?"...no, I drove and chose the SR version, for the same reason I chose the 2011 Altima SR version...for the upgraded and stiffer suspension and more "sporty"...NOT SPORTS CAR...driving feel and dynamics. Unfortunately, two 15-20 minute test drives, on two separate occasions, wasn't enough to adequately determine the 16 Maxima SR doesn't possess the "sporty dynamics" and "sporty feel..not SPORTS CAR FEEL" that the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR DOES EXHIBIT. I am not sure why the 16 Maxima doesn't have this quality, while a lower model five years older does...but, nevertheless it (the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR) does.

My "liking the Maxima" was borne and based upon my expectation it would match up, at least equally, with the driving dynamics of the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR (which I did enjoy driving and I feel was more nimble, felt "sportier and more nimble" than the Maxima...and I think it was just as fast as well)..which it hasn't...thus, I am going to sell or trade it. And one final point, if you read my initial post, I clearly specified what the Maxima is, "a small/smallish four door sedan, with a touch of "sporty"...not SPORTS CAR...driving dynamics and an aggressive exterior styling.

My one "gripe" on this forum is that everyone quickly "jumps" to defend the Maxima, even when it isn't being "bashed", but fairly and accurately compared and contrasted to another car. Re-read my initial post FGW...and next time you won't feel obligated to "uphold the Gauntlet of Honor for your "beloved Maxima"...and question my automotive judgement and taste in car selection/ choice of cars, as well as my educated opinion on the differences in cars...especially relating to their true nature and characteristics.

Last edited by AG2016; 10-07-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:54 PM

Despite your "Smart and Snarky" tone...I will provide a few answers to you. The Maxima, aside from perhaps the last two generations, HAS been more of a "sports oriented 4 Door Sports Car". The 2002 Maxima, for example, had 255 HP, and was about 300 pounds lighter in weight, than a 260 HP Mustang GT. The Maxima was truly a "stealth 4DSC" in that guise. Even into the next two generations WITH a CVT, the Maxima was reasonably quick and could give Mustangs a challenge in the 0 to 60 sprint but, not in the quarter mile run. Up until the new Coyote engine was introduced in 2011, the Maxima was comparatively quick, in relation to a Mustang GT, with respect to the aforementioned criterion. So you may drop your snarky tone and pretense of "was the front wheel drive and CVT not a dead give away to you or what?" I had a 2011 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR and it was, WITH A CVT, more engaging and direct to drive than my current Maxima, despite the "improved" CVT, with improved algorithms and "shift points."

As far as your comment "did you just look the other way expecting something from that setup that you would never get regardless?"...no, I drove and chose the SR version, for the same reason I chose the 2011 Altima SR version...for the upgraded and stiffer suspension and more "sporty"...NOT SPORTS CAR...driving feel and dynamics. Unfortunately, two 15-20 minute test drives, on two separate occasions, wasn't enough to adequately determine the 16 Maxima SR doesn't possess the "sporty dynamics" and "sporty feel..not SPORTS CAR FEEL" that the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR DOES EXHIBIT. I am not sure why the 16 Maxima doesn't have this quality, while a lower model five years older does...but, nevertheless it (the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR) does.

My "liking the Maxima" was borne and based upon my expectation it would match up, at least equally, with the driving dynamics of the 2011 Altima 3.5 SR (which I did enjoy driving and I feel was more nimble, felt "sportier and more nimble" than the Maxima...and I think it was just as fast as well)..which it hasn't...thus, I am going to sell or trade it. And one final point, if you read my initial post, I clearly specified what the Maxima is, "a small/smallish four door sedan, with a touch of "sporty"...not SPORTS CAR...driving dynamics and an aggressive exterior styling.

My one "gripe" on this forum is that everyone quickly "jumps" to defend the Maxima, even when it isn't being "bashed", but fairly and accurately compared and contrasted to another car. Re-read my initial post FGW...and next time you won't feel obligated to "uphold the Gauntlet of Honor for your "beloved Maxima"...and question my automotive judgement and taste in car selection/ choice of cars, as well as my educated opinion on the differences in cars...especially relating to their true nature and characteristics.
I wont get into a pissing contest over this. But, all I was saying I think you made a bad choice. The new Maxima was not for you obviously. Defending my "beloved Maxima"? Really? I was not defending it one bit. Again I could careless what people think about it as long as I like it. It goes back to being a full size family hauler sedan. Sure I would like more cabin room. But, that is really my only complaint about it. All of that snarky nonsense you speak of. I think you just did not like my answer and it some what set you off. Which was not my intent. This is also the first CVT car ever owned for me. You wanted more out of this car it was not going to give you. That was your mistake.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I wont get into a pissing contest over this. But, all I was saying I think you made a bad choice. The new Maxima was not for you obviously. Defending my "beloved Maxima"? Really? I was not defending it one bit. Again I could careless what people think about it as long as I like it. It goes back to being a full size family hauler sedan. Sure I would like more cabin room. But, that is really my only complaint about it. All of that snarky nonsense you speak of. I think you just did not like my answer and it some what set you off. Which was not my intent. This is also the first CVT car ever owned for me. You wanted more out of this car it was not going to give you. That was your mistake.
Listen CLOWN, you don't know me nor do you know my reasons for purchasing the car; therefore you can't possibly know "what I wanted out of the car" and "that was my mistake." Presuming to judge what I, or anyone else wants(ed) out this car...or anything else...is assine and petulant. Don't accuse me and make make open-ended judgements of me when you obliviously don't have/know all the facts. So just let it go, shut your pie hole and enjoy your Saturday, while you eat your Cheese Curls, swig your Malt Liquor on your "pleather couch" and watch your "rug rats" entertain themselves.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Listen CLOWN, you don't know me nor do you know my reasons for purchasing the car; therefore you can't possibly know "what I wanted out of the car" and "that was my mistake." Presuming to judge what I, or anyone else wants(ed) out this car...or anything else...is assine and petulant. Don't accuse me and make make open-ended judgements of me when you obliviously don't have/know all the facts. So just let it go, shut your pie hole and enjoy your Saturday, while you eat your Cheese Curls, swig your Malt Liquor on your "pleather couch" and watch your "rug rats" entertain themselves.
Really? I wont entertain your shenanigans any further. Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-07-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Having owned every generation Maxima but the first, I must say this 8th gen Platinum is easily the best Maxima I have ever driven. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, the comfort of the seats, the power that easily zips to 60 MPH in under six seconds, the many amenities, the way it tackles winding, steep mountain roads, the solid build with not a rattle of any kind anywhere, the way this car jumps from 40MPH to 80MPH in three seconds or so when I pull out to pass and floor it in a short passing zone on a two lane road, the smoothness and fuel efficiency of this new CVT, and the way friends, relatives and strangers check it out and say very nice things about it. By FAR the best car I have driven or owned, and I have been driving since the 1940s. I can easily see why Motor Week named the 8th gen Maxima as their four door sports sedan of the year in 2016. It is not a true sports car, but it is far better than a true sports car for most folks driving situations. Life has been good to me.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Having owned every generation Maxima but the first, I must say this 8th gen Platinum is easily the best Maxima I have ever driven. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, the comfort of the seats, the power that easily zips to 60 MPH in under six seconds, the many amenities, the way it tackles winding, steep mountain roads, the solid build with not a rattle of any kind anywhere, the way this car jumps from 40MPH to 80MPH in three seconds or so when I pull out to pass and floor it in a short passing zone on a two lane road, the smoothness and fuel efficiency of this new CVT, and the way friends, relatives and strangers check it out and say very nice things about it. By FAR the best car I have driven or owned, and I have been driving since the 1940s. I can easily see why Motor Week named the 8th gen Maxima as their four door sports sedan of the year in 2016. It is not a true sports car, but it is far better than a true sports car for most folks driving situations. Life has been good to me.

Mr. Light,

I concur with what you 100%; my issue has never been with what the Maxima is...rather than what it isn't. But, you are correct in saying, "(the Maxima) It is not a true sports car, but it is far better than a true sports car for most folks driving situations." You are a true "treasure" on this forum...a real gentleman and you posts are informative, insightful and wise; thanks for your presence and posts on this forum.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:55 PM

AG2016 - Thanks for the nice words. I'll think of you next time I slow down as I walk past a Corvette or Porsche 911 and think of the possibilities. You sort of remind me of my son who owned a red 1967 Camaro convertible, an orange 1969 Camaro RS or SS (I can't keep them straight), and ended up with a Jim Saleen Mustang that (in my opinion) rode like a buckboard, and could turn a 90 degree corner at frightening speed with no leaning whatsoever. At my age, I'll stick with my Maxima.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 PM

At my age, I'll stick with my Maxima.
I'm 63 years old, and after enjoyed the purchase, the drive, the aesthetic / mechanical mods from my 2 Pontiacs Firebird Trans am, I'm not able more than agree with Mr. Lightonthehill words......
Old 10-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
I'm 63 years old, and after enjoyed the purchase, the drive, the aesthetic / mechanical mods from my 2 Pontiacs Firebird Trans am, I'm not able more than agree with Mr. Lightonthehill words......

Only age 63? There is a good chance your best years are still ahead. My happiest years have been since I retired over twenty years ago. I hope you get to enjoy your Maxima for many happy years.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 PM

Only age 63? There is a good chance your best years are still ahead. My happiest years have been since I retired over twenty years ago. I hope you get to enjoy your Maxima for many happy years.
Thank you Sir, I hope so be it....
Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lonestareagle

Looking at a SV with around 10k miles on it and i HATE rattles. I will avoid a car if its known for rattles. I have very sensitive ears and this was really eye opening to see on here. I might have to reconsider now
I don't own one (yet) but my company has a lease agreement with Nissan and the co-workers who have one haven't had a single issue or rattle. I imagine it appears like there are more on the forum since these are the hardcore fans who take the time to discuss vehicles online and not the majority who are content with their vehicle.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by lonestareagle

Wow, just wow.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM

Well said and I fully agree! It is refreshing to read entries of those like you who share a perspective of "adding value" to this forum, rather than those who dwell on here with constant belittling and criticism.

Our '17 Maxima Platinum is my wife's daily driver. I drive a '16 Sierra Denali, so the Maxima is certainly a "sporty contrast" to me... whenever I can get it away from her ;-)

I had a 2012 Altima 3.5 SR a few years ago and this new Maxima is quicker, nimbler and way more fun to drive. The Quality in our Maxima is excellent!!

Cheers

Last edited by 17BBMax; 08-31-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 AM

My Platinum just passed 23000 miles and 24 months of service. It has been one of the best cars I have had in 55 years of driving. No issues at all except ann occasional squeak from some where in the dash when the temps are near zero degrees. So that noise might occur 1% of the time which I can live with.

What impresses me is the appeal this 8th gen has to all age levels. I must admit it has been great driving a car that stands out like it has. This seems to be changing as I spot more and more 2016-17s on the road here in the midwest..many of them are rental SVs from Avis and Hertz.

Recently I rented a 2017 Max SV form Avis and took it on an 1100 mile fall color tour around Lake Michigan. It was the 1st time I had driven another Maxima and this car, even with 24000 hard rental car miles on the clock was tight and squeak free. It delivered 32.6 mpg for the whole trip with all sorts of driving from 80 mph cruising ... to stop and go back roads wandering!
I did drive this car at little more aggressively and I did realize I may not have been completely flooring my own Maxima when passing. This car can go!

So for they guy who is going over to a Mustang, it should a better fit for what you are looking for. The Maxima is just not a boy racer car. It does feel sporty for the average driver though who is not looking to carve a square corner at every turn.

Is the car perfect? No, for I wish they would add the front passenger up and down power adjustment. The Ford Fusion for example has a full 10 way power seat for the front seat passengers. I hear their new Sport Turbo kicks out 325 horses.

My car is leased so I have to decide within 12 months what the next move is.
Right now I am still leaning towards another Maxima if the deal is good.