8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Fuse Box, tell me the secret please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Fuse Box, tell me the secret please

I removed the cover for access to the fuse box located on the lower left part of the dash. BUT how do you remove a fuse? The fuse box is about 5 inches from the access door and I cannot figure out how to get my hand in to remove a fuse. On the 7th generation it was right behind the door for easy access but now it is deeply recessed. If someone has found an easy to remove and replace the fuses please share the wealth.

When I first removed the access panel I could not even see the fuse box, I had to get a flashlight to see it.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 09-16-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM

If you look in the center of the fuse box there is a white clip that comes out. It's used for pulling out the fuses. It's the only way these fuses come out intact.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by blazinhassan
If you look in the center of the fuse box there is a white clip that comes out. It's used for pulling out the fuses. It's the only way these fuses come out intact.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I pulled out the fuse puller and proceeded
to drop it into the recess on left of the bottom of the opening. I was able to put some tape on my finger and get it out but learned my lesson. I am going to buy another fuse puller and glue an extension to it so I can use it from outside the opening. It is hard to see the fuses when your hand is in the hole.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:49 PM

I use needle nose pliers. Great for reaching in the ridiculous hole. I don't know why they placed that so far back there.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
I removed the cover for access to the fuse box located on the lower left part of the dash. BUT how do you remove a fuse? The fuse box is about 5 inches from the access door and I cannot figure out how to get my hand in to remove a fuse. On the 7th generation it was right behind the door for easy access but now it is deeply recessed. If someone has found an easy to remove and replace the fuses please share the wealth.

When I first removed the access panel I could not even see the fuse box, I had to get a flashlight to see it.
I went through that exact ordeal today when my air compressor blew the cig lighter fuse in the center console. I envisioned handing over my wallet at the dealership since those are near-impossible to get out. It's even worse getting one in!..Luckily, I have a small pair of needle-nose vise grips that did the trick, but it still wasn't easy (got it just-engaged and pushed the rest with my fingertips until it just clicked. I'm on a shopping spree to get a long-reach fuse puller (and installer). BTW, as a side note, if you get your arm in their to reach the fuse, you can barely see or hold a flashlight to see what you're doing / you're doing it blind and in mid-air since it's so recessed; and the worst part is I'm a Mechanical Engineer! (I hate those guys!)

Last edited by me9798; 02-05-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM

I use a pair of medical forceps that are 10 inches long. They are slender, lightweight, and have locking handles. I coated the tips with a liquid rubber insulator and the tool works great for fuses, and it stores away in the glove box. They also work great for getting things out of tight places like between the front seat and console.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I use a pair of medical forceps that are 10 inches long. They are slender, lightweight, and have locking handles. I coated the tips with a liquid rubber insulator and the tool works great for fuses, and it stores away in the glove box. They also work great for getting things out of tight places like between the front seat and console.
Now thats a good idea, thanks.