Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Turbo or Super Charger? (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/699581-turbo-super-charger.html)

rablaze93 10-18-2017 01:27 PM

Turbo or Super Charger?

After the warranty on my 2016 Maxima expires, I was thinking about getting a turbo or a super charger on my engine. Would it be possible to install one? Would the cvt engine be able to handle it? Also what would be better the turbo or super charger?

Thanks!
Rich

rablaze93 10-18-2017 01:28 PM

Also any other info you guys think I should know would be great!

The Wizard 10-18-2017 02:29 PM

You would be ill advised to install forced induction on a car with a CVT transmission.

You don't have a CVT engine, you have a CVT transmission. :facepalm:

CNTRT 10-18-2017 04:16 PM

Just do exhaust and intake. You really have to be a gear head to turbocharge or supercharge a vehicle like this. I'd say just leave it alone. It's fast enough

FattiesGoneWild 10-18-2017 05:17 PM

lol not with a CVT transmission. Hell I would be hesitant to even put on a intake/exhaust because of the CVT in this car.

rablaze93 10-18-2017 05:21 PM

I already got the stillen axleback exhaust and cold air intake. So you guys are saying its impossible to do so?

FattiesGoneWild 10-18-2017 05:31 PM

Lets just say the CVT is like a glass bottle. I would not take it past stock in this car even with intake/exhaust. Just my opinion though. Nissan in the past has had trouble with their CVT's. I believe they are even being sued as we speak. I don't think the CVT in this car has been proven yet since it just came out in 2015 as a 2016 model.

CNTRT 10-18-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9159942)
Lets just say the CVT is like a glass bottle. I would not take it past stock in this car even with intake/exhaust. Just my opinion though. Nissan in the past has had trouble with their CVT's. I believe they are even being sued as we speak. I don't think the CVT in this car has been proven yet since it just came out in 2015 as a 2016 model.

this CVT is very different from previous Nissan CVTs. I think it can handle an intake and exhaust lol

The Wizard 10-18-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by rablaze93 (Post 9159939)
I already got the stillen axleback exhaust and cold air intake. So you guys are saying its impossible to do so?

Search for threads by Ghozt and his attempts at boosting a CVT transmission'd Max. After nuking 2 CVT tranny's, I believe he installed a regular non-CVT transmission.

A36-SR 10-18-2017 06:58 PM

He did a 6 speed transmission after all , by nisperformance.com remember our cvt is better then 7 gen . I had a cvt juke pushing 375 hp and 355 torque at the wheels with no issue. Is only money go and try if you have it to turbo a new max you have it to by cvts every year. But i hate to told you you can do nothing in to they release a TUnE!!!

CNTRT 10-18-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 9159948)
Search for threads by Ghozt and his attempts at boosting a CVT transmission'd Max. After nuking 2 CVT tranny's, I believe he installed a regular non-CVT transmission.

just to play devils advocate (I don't really think this guy should turbo his Max), that was a 7th gen, which had a horribly performing CVT in comparison to the 8th gen's

MadMax07SL 10-19-2017 05:29 AM

If you're looking to get this car to go faster, why aren't you just buying a faster car? Get a Dodge Hellcat with 700 HP stock, and a transmission and rear wheel drive that can support that kind of power. Plus after market for the Dodges you could likely hit 1000hp pretty easy if you really want to go fast.

A36-SR 10-19-2017 07:36 AM

Or a tesla lol

mikeymax17 10-19-2017 07:14 PM

Dodge and jeep with that track hawk, have some really nice products. I really think a Hellcat is my next vehicle

BronxSleeperMax187 10-19-2017 11:25 PM

MAybe he wants this car to be faster....like my 5th gen when I see the dudes face at the next light lol...50k lol

Fishlet 10-20-2017 05:42 PM

This is a bit off in left field, but this is something I think would be cool to try:

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/hybrid-conversion/

Tl;dr... you could put those back wheels to work by electrifying them. Making them work in tandem with the front wheel drive might take a bit of magic though.

rablaze93 10-22-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL (Post 9159977)
If you're looking to get this car to go faster, why aren't you just buying a faster car? Get a Dodge Hellcat with 700 HP stock, and a transmission and rear wheel drive that can support that kind of power. Plus after market for the Dodges you could likely hit 1000hp pretty easy if you really want to go fast.

Well first of all with my current budget and living situation, this is the best vehicle I could get in terms of performance, fuel efficiency, and size. Besides that, I really love how the car looks, its pretty spacious as well. A hellcat is around double the price from what I can afford. Teslas are great for local commutes but taking hours to charge can be a real pain. I just want to make the extra investment to make the car I want, go a bit faster thats all lol.

rablaze93 10-22-2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet (Post 9160144)
This is a bit off in left field, but this is something I think would be cool to try:

Tl;dr... you could put those back wheels to work by electrifying them. Making them work in tandem with the front wheel drive might take a bit of magic though.

this is actually really interesting! i read the article and saw the video. Are you thinking about doing it as well?

Fishlet 10-22-2017 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rablaze93 (Post 9160293)
this is actually really interesting! i read the article and saw the video. Are you thinking about doing it as well?

Naw, I can barely change my own oil but if I the spare talent, time and money I'd try it

geauxnow 01-11-2018 04:36 PM

If you want to turbo, just hook up a pair of leaf blowers to your intake and you should be good. The two stroke kind, so you don't run out of extension cord.

me9798 01-11-2018 07:30 PM

As a Mechanical Engineer and owner of a '16 Maxima, I can tell you that if you slip that belt once, it will be a downhill spiral until the CVT fails (it will get worse and worse over time). The CVT in the Max is already at its torque capacity (plus a safety factor). If you test it, you will find out the hard way. Good luck.

lightonthehill 01-12-2018 03:33 PM

If you have the cash to play around, feel free to try anything. Just be aware this new Maxima CVT is designed to be the most EFFICIENT tranny for the 300HP stock Maxima power tain. Raising the power much above 300HP is courting disaster with this CVT, and would void virtually any warranty on any part of the power train system on the car. Unless I had both money to burn and a strong desire for immense power in exactly his particular vehicle, I would not add either turbo or supercharger unless I also converted the tranny to a manual.

FanaticMadMax 01-12-2018 07:24 PM

I don't even see how are you gonna fit a supercharger or a turbo in a already tight engine bay, and you're not gonna find any space, and addition like most of those guys I agree that you are asking for trouble with the CVT gonna self grenade on you.

wild willy 01-13-2018 07:10 AM

Nissan really killed my love for their cars with their decision to ram CVTs down everyone's throats. This is the main reason I stopped shopping the Maxima and now am focused on the Q50. Its a shame the Q is not as luxurious as the Max on the inside....I really cant believe the plastic seats in most cars, they affectionately call "Leatherette". A lot of Salesman dont even know that they are just vinyl seats...

RickSmith 01-13-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet (Post 9160144)

The old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" applies here.

The original article was published August, 2012...5 ½ years ago.

MTSU Plug-In Hybrid Retrofit Kit Update, March 24, 2014

Since making the first prototype of the MTSU Plug-In Hybrid Retrofit Kit we have learned that wheel hub motors with permanent magnets, such as are discussed and shown in the video, are not the best technical solution. A better wheel hub motor design for a hybrid retrofit kit is the switched reluctance motor which does not use permanent magnets.

For these reasons it was decided that the commercial version of the wheel hub motor for the Plug-In Hybrid Retrofit Kit should be a switched reluctance design. Therefore, a partnership is being sought with another organization to more fully develop a switched reluctance motor design for the retrofit kit application.

To all of our supporters who would like to buy a Plug-In Hybrid Retrofit Kit we must delay a little longer the availability of a commercial version. Automotive applications are very demanding with regard to robustness and reliability. We cannot release a consumer product until all the engineering and testing has been completed. At this time there is not a fixed schedule but we hope to be in a position to have the first commercial version by sometime in 2016.

How much does the plug-in hybrid kit cost?
For a car or small truck, $3000 to $5000 depending on range and lithium battery costs, plus the cost of installation.

Why can’t the system work above 45 miles per hour?
The space available to fit the motor does not permit a motor powerful enough to provide significant traction assist at highway speeds.

What is the maximum range for hybrid operation?
The proposed carry-on bag size will give 25-35 miles of range depending on driving conditions and driving style.

Caveat Emptor

Fishlet 01-13-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by wild willy (Post 9166485)
Nissan really killed my love for their cars with their decision to ram CVTs down everyone's throats. This is the main reason I stopped shopping the Maxima and now am focused on the Q50. Its a shame the Q is not as luxurious as the Max on the inside....I really cant believe the plastic seats in most cars, they affectionately call "Leatherette". A lot of Salesman dont even know that they are just vinyl seats...

Well I think the biggest problem with Nissan and the Maxima is branding. If they stopped calling it the 4DSC, perhaps it wouldn't attract so many buyers expecting to get a "sports" car. It's like thinking your gonna get a Rocky Road ice cream, and finding out it's only chocolate with peanuts. It's definitely no 4DSC, but as a moderately luxurious sedan with above average performance, it excels

To be fair, Nissan does offer true performance cars if that's what your looking for. There's the Z, some of the Infiniti for sure. But I guess if you want it all in one package, prepare to shell out some big bux.

Fishlet 01-13-2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RickSmith (Post 9166491)

The original article was published August, 2012...5 ½ years ago.

Ya i was disappointed that this project apparently went no where. Still, I think it's a cool idea and hope some smarty will figure out how to make it practical someday

wild willy 01-13-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet (Post 9166496)
Well I think the biggest problem with Nissan and the Maxima is branding. If they stopped calling it the 4DSC, perhaps it wouldn't attract so many buyers expecting to get a "sports" car. It's like thinking your gonna get a Rocky Road ice cream, and finding out it's only chocolate with peanuts. It's definitely no 4DSC, but as a moderately luxurious sedan with above average performance, it excels

To be fair, Nissan does offer true performance cars if that's what your looking for. There's the Z, some of the Infiniti for sure. But I guess if you want it all in one package, prepare to shell out some big bux.

I would love a Z...However....I need a back seat. Quite a bang for the buck at 30K

lightonthehill 01-14-2018 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet (Post 9166496)

The Z is a fine sports car that is fun to drive. If I were single, I might have considered it.

BUT

Whispers in the hallways in Nissan offices in Franklin TN are hinting that the Z may not have a long future. As important as the Z has been to Datsun/Nissan these last forty-five or so years, I was a little surprised to hear this. But with the emphasis shifting to automated vehicles, Nissan evidently felt the future was not as bright as it has been for cars designed for serious driver participation.

And those here not thrilled with the CVT should be aware that increasingly strict government fuel efficiency regulations mean more and more vehicles will be either converting to CVTs or going hybrid or even all-electric. We may not like it, but the automotive fun days of our youth are gradually slipping away. And Mother Earth will probably be the better for it. I personally have adjusted to the CVT, especially the fact it is giving me easily over 30 MPG on the open road in a 3600 pound car with 300 HP. Manual trannies ceased to be fun for me when most of the roads I travel on became virtually gridlocked.

wild willy 01-14-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 9166534)
I personally have adjusted to the CVT, especially the fact it is giving me easily over 30 MPG on the open road in a 3600 pound car with 300 HP. Manual trannies ceased to be fun for me when most of the roads I travel on became virtually gridlocked.

See, this does not Impress me at all.....I leased a 2004 GT0 with the 350 HP LS1 and it tipped the scales at a little over 3800lbs. I took it to the outerbanks in the middle of summer, 90-100 degrees, REGULAR GRADE FUEL, loaded trunk, loaded back seat, and me and my Dad in the front. 30 MPG all day long in my 6M. These new cars should be doing so much better, especially with the CardioVascularTragety. The car consistently got better MPG than my 02 SE Altima that only drank the best of fuel....not to mention, i beat the living poopoo out of the GTO. 4 sets of rear tires in 17,000 miles:)

Fishlet 01-14-2018 11:51 AM

Whispers in the hallways in Nissan offices in Franklin TN are hinting that the Z may not have a long future. As important as the Z has been to Datsun/Nissan these last forty-five or so years, I was a little surprised to hear this. But with the emphasis shifting to automated vehicles, Nissan evidently felt the future was not as bright as it has been for cars designed for serious driver participation.

Well nowadays I think car makers are narrowing down the focus of their brands. My previous car (which I still have) is a Hyundai Azera. Now the Hyundai brand is strictly 4 cylinder family cars and SUVs , anything remotely exciting was spun off into the Genesis brand.

For Nissan that means standardizing on some things from the parts bin, which means CVT with perhaps some other shared components across the board.

I'm perfectly fine with the CVT myself. I've never driven a true sports car so it feels perfectly normal to me. The only thing i worry about is long term CVT reliability. Those unlucky folks who have had their CVT die prematurely... they are a very vocal group. To search reviews online, you'd get the impression that all CVT are a ticking time bomb. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this generation fares

lindros2 01-14-2018 12:10 PM

Whispers in the hallways in Nissan offices in Franklin TN are hinting that the Z may not have a long future. As important as the Z has been to Datsun/Nissan these last forty-five or so years, I was a little surprised to hear this. But with the emphasis shifting to automated vehicles, Nissan evidently felt the future was not as bright as it has been for cars designed for serious driver participation

They’ve killed it before, they’ll kill it again.

Only reason it’s around is the platform and mechanical sharing with Infiniti.

Now that Infiniti moving to FWD (ie new QX50/EX35), say goodbye to Z.

I’m afraid what will become of the next Q50/Q60.

AWD hides FWD vs RWD. BMW/Mercedes following Audi’s lead (foreshadowing?) in colder climates with AWD, and even performace cars have AWD (new M5 and E63).

geddyme 01-19-2018 10:39 AM

Before I bought my `17 SL back in February I did a little reading here and elsewhere. Especially about the CVT tranny. I test drove Taurus, Camaro V-6, Accord & Camry V-6's, Charger, Optima and even a 335 Xdrive. Once I drove the Nissan I almost instantly came to the conclusion that for the $$ and performance, the only car that mattered was the Maxima. Still love it with no regrets when I pull up next to any of the aforementioned vehicles.

As I was sitting with the finance guy, in rolled a new GTR for the showroom. I asked rhetorically what it would take to make the Maxima sound and perform like that car. He responded, "Whatever it says at the bottom of the GTR's window sticker". It was 117K for the curious, and beautiful in whatever Nissan calls their metallic orange color.

I'm pretty happy with the performance of my Max, but I have a performance side chick... (02 WS6 T/A, lots of goodies). The Max is quick, smooth, and capable. In Sport mode its even better. The only add-ons I'm looking at are aesthetic... tint, exterior lighting and the interior accent lighting.

Safe travels all!

CHEF KOCH 01-19-2018 01:27 PM

Okay I just realised as I started typing that this is the 8th gen forum...

But anyway, I have been contemplating a supercharger set-up with CVT, however I have a 2007 6th Gen - which is actually the Australian J31 Teana.

At the moment it has done 188,000km and has not given any indication of dying. I also feel like the CVT deals better with more power than less (to a certain point obviously) All these CVT complaints are literally pre 2006 and for 2.5 ltr or less. Search CVT reviews on the 3.5 and 98% positive. If the CVT does have a little weird moment or loses a bit of power, by the time I accelerate up to 4k - 5k RPM it goes back to being that smooth and accurate CVT that I have quite honestly come to really enjoy.

I can't explain properly or actually no for sure but definitely have the gut feeling that this tranmission can definitely handle alot more than I am reading/worrying about. I would say ****, give it a go. If it dies it dies, you learn. Oh but if it works amazing.... I could not imagine how much portential the Maxima could have. I almost want to risk it just for the pure uniquness / would be epic.

However, after saying all of this. My 6th Gen is only 180kw - your newer model and the fact that it is in the US means you basically already have the power I would get from adding a supercharger. Plus I have already done a few "more boring" mods - Cat Back Exhaust, Larger Wheels, Sport Suspension, Dampers etc etc

Although I really want to tell you to go for it (don't even know if it is possible tbh haha) I have to say keep it N/A. You can still to a decent amount and I thought my 180kw was decent, the US 8th Gen is surely amazing. I feel you though, something about the Maxima that is just amazing, I would much rather get a Maxima to a Z level then buy a Z, always liked bigger cars too

Fishlet 01-20-2018 08:26 AM

Hi Chef,

Good to here you've had good luck with your CVT, it's encouraging to hear that. A few unlucky folks have tried to push this tranny too far and it has failed spectacularly. I'm no engineer and can't claim to understand why these can't be abused as much as a traditional automatic. i would like to think there is some wiggle room, maybe you can get away with an extra 20 Hp, but I'm certainty not brave enough to try and find out.

bones787718 01-20-2018 08:46 AM

Nissan stated the 8th Gen maxima is capable of taking up to 500HP, just saying.

BlueSR 01-20-2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bones787718 (Post 9167006)

Source?

lindros2 01-20-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bones787718 (Post 9167006)

I don't buy it. Show me a single car with a CVT and more than 350 HP.

BlakMaxiJoey 01-20-2018 12:11 PM

does this juke count?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-500-fwhp-cvt/

DeepPearlBluePlatinum 02-08-2018 01:35 PM

Never can one have their cake and eat it too W/O consequences and sacrifices SOMEWHERE. Can forced induction be done on a Max....sure (with enough money and ingenuity). I've seen a twin turbo system mounted straddling the GAS TANK in a Lincoln LS...actually, I drove it!

THAT is not the question..... the question IS, are you willing to horrendously affect the amazing reliability and drivability of this wonderful platform to do so? If you are and constant expenses, breakdowns and lack of reliability doesn't matter to you, go for it. These cars are engineered with matched components....make any one component massively stronger, weaker, heavier, lighter (etc) and well....now your flying a 3-blade helicopter....just a matter of time.

Me?, I'll keep my "toys" and my daily driver separate. If I need to hurt someone's feelings on the street, I hop in my 1969 Camaro SS (with NOTHING stock from the radiator to the rear tires) and pass them sideways...smiling. :)