8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Aftermarket Speaker recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:59 AM

Aftermarket Speaker recommendations

I just took delivery on my '17 Platinum a couple of weeks ago.
I am not (and never have been) a member of the Amar Bose fan club. (When I started, the joke among audio salespersons was "No Highs....No lows....must be etc.,etc.)
I can't get a straight answer from anybody about what CAN go in the front and pillars. I'd probably like to go with a good quality component system in the front. (6.5" Focals if I can afford them)
Should I get rid of ALL of the speakers and start over?
That would require more "Heinz 57" brand chop suey than I prefer.
My '09 has a set of Polk SR6500 (6.75" Components) in the front with a Stereo Integrity sub in the trunk (no rear deck speakers) and a set of MOMO 6.5's in the rear door panels.
I liked THAT system just fine, but inertia would seem to encourage me to just leave that system as it is and let my wife listen to it. She drives it now. (It has seriously low mileage on it. About 39,000 miles.)
Amps I already have. (I'm long time acquaintances with the SI/Sundown folks.)

My bias is towards SQ that's not overly polite. Sort of MOR.
I'm particularly interested in what exact speaker sizes will fit WHERE.
Crutchfield and Amazon have a bad case of statistical schizophrenia with this model.
I'd prefer "real world" hard data from folks who've done this already.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Last edited by Smacksimus Maximus; 11-22-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Good luck on the sound system upgrade, I agree the Bose system sucks. There are a few threads here where folks have redone their sound system with a considerable amount of work. I'm also eager to hear if there are any easy speaker-swap only solutions to be had. I'm hoping for something with balanced sound, don't care too much about excessive base or volume.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:03 PM

That's me, Fishlet. Thanks for your reply.
I've settled on 6.5 Focal components in the front, 3.5" Infinity References in the rear and the aforementioned SI 15" sub in the trunk. The amplification is Sundown SAX-100.4 for the speakers and a CAB 1600.1 for the Sub. The innards of the CAB look pretty good. More capacitance and output devices than my 1500D Sundown. At least that's the way it looks from the amp **** I've seen of it/them. Thanks again, I'll post back once it's done.....
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Good choice on the infinity audio!

That's what came stock in my Azera and the sound is top notch.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:17 PM

I kept hearing good things about the imaging with the Focals. I almost chose the BOTL Hybrids, but the dealer just jerked me around too much. They were all he had in stock and they seemed overpriced. The Focals looked like they had better made mid-woofers. Some kind of woven carbon fiber type thing. Wish me luck.......