8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Nissan CVT's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 AM

Nissan CVT's

Just out of curiosity, do all Nissan models share the same CVT, or does Nissan make different Xtronic CVT's that are model dependant? For instance, does the Versa share the same CVT as the Maxima?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions
Old 01-20-2018, 06:09 PM

I didn't see the maxima listed on that page, but it would make sense that they would be different models for different cars. Perhaps not for every model, but for every class of car. There's a big difference in horsepower from the versa to the maxima so they must be different
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the link Rick Smith. I think that pretty much answers it. It looks like the Nissan Teana is a Maxima for different markets, and it does use a different CVT than the smaller Nissan models.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 AM

The new version CVT is said to improve fuel economy by up to 10 percent versus the previous generation, in part due to a claimed 40-percent reduction in friction. Its exterior casing is smaller by about 10 percent, and internal improvements include a new pulleys and a smaller oil pump that now uses lower-viscosity oil.

Two variations of this Xtronic box will be made, including one for 2.0- to 2.5-liter applications and the other for engines ranging in displacement from 2.5- to 3.5 liters. Differences between the versions are limited to ratio spreads (7.0 in the smaller application, 6.3 in the larger) and a more robust belt in the 2.5-to-3.5-liter application to better handle the additional torque.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
The new version CVT is said to improve fuel economy by up to 10 percent versus the previous generation, in part due to a claimed 40-percent reduction in friction. Its exterior casing is smaller by about 10 percent, and internal improvements include a new pulleys and a smaller oil pump that now uses lower-viscosity oil.

Two variations of this Xtronic box will be made, including one for 2.0- to 2.5-liter applications and the other for engines ranging in displacement from 2.5- to 3.5 liters. Differences between the versions are limited to ratio spreads (7.0 in the smaller application, 6.3 in the larger) and a more robust belt in the 2.5-to-3.5-liter application to better handle the additional torque.
Nice job in explaining this. My 2016 CVT has been a great performer with 28000 miles on the clock so far. While not the transmission choice for racers, it delivers me consistant 32 mpg on the open road with plenty of passing performance.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith

Good info, thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM

Thanks RickSmith.

This new Maxima CVT was the reason there is no 2015 model year Maxima. The 8th gen Maxima was fairly locked in as far as design, etc, over five years ago. But the newly redesigned CVT was being tested in some early versions of the 2014 Altima and ran into several problems. Nissan felt it was very important that the 8th gen Maxima not be released with known problems, so the wise decision was made to delay the 8th gen intro until the CVT problems could be addressed. That took longer than expected, so eventually the tough decision was made to forego the 2015 Maxima model year and release the 8th gen as the 2016 model year.

I think Nissan made the correct decision. I am exceptionally pleased with the performance of this CVT in my 2016 Platinum these last several years. It seems to sense what I am asking for, and responds to the lightest touch of my foot on the pedal. After driving manuals and automatic trannies for around 70 years (yes, I am an old geezer), I do not plan on ever owning a non-CVT-driven vehicle in the future.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 AM

@lightonthehill, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to be of help on this forum. I'm glad that this forum is more about the car and it's many features vs "I want to obtain every available HP from my car" type of forum.

My wife bought a new 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE in January 2007, I 'inherited' it in January 2013 when she purchased a new Honda Accord V-6 EX-L w/Nav. The Honda has a terrible 6 speed automatic, with a 1st gear programmed to shift to 2nd almost as soon as the car was moving...under light throttle the car would momentarily 'bog' before it resumed normal acceleration. Give it more gas, and the car was a rocket.

She loved the car, but hated the transmission. Dealer visits never fixed the problem of the upshifting, and Honda has what they call Grade Logic, which results in strange transmission behavior on downshifts coming to a stop. She constantly complained about the transmission and the way the car drove.

Fast forward to August 2015. I saw a new Maxima SL white in color with black interior as I drove past the local Nissan dealer. I stopped in, and sat inside the car. Naturally, I fell in love with it. I called her at work and told her that if she sat in the car, she would buy it even without driving it. She asked but one question..."Does it have a CVT? You know I hate the transmission in the Honda." Many complaints on the Honda forum about V-6 6 speed transmission shifting and operation.

That evening she bought the car, and 30K miles later, loves it. We expected a few minor hiccups in a first model year car, and yes, there been a few TSB's and recalls handled quickly and efficiently by the dealer.

Last week I decided to 'upgrade' my ride, as the Altima was 11 years old and just turned 100K. I had two mechanical issues with the Altima, a water pump leak at 30K, and A/C compressor and associated parts replaced in the summer of 2016. The transmission never gave a problem. The car ran great, but the paint on the hood and roof had lost the clear coat, and needed to be repainted.

I found a Grey 2016 Maxima SV with 22K miles, certified, at my dealer. I brought it home last Thursday night.

Now we are a two Maxima family. Personally, I love the CVT. I am an older guy, and I am not looking for more performance from my Maxima. On the open road, the Maxima returns 4-5 MPG better than the Altima, and is turning quite a bit fewer RPM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:19 AM

RickSmith, lightonthehill, love reading your insights on this topic. candt, you may find this helpful as well: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...nic-technology
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 PM

Thanks, schumer. I spent some time wandering around that link, and feel as if just completed a class on the Xtronic CVT.

RickSmith - I hope you have lots of good service from your newly acquired Maxima. Gray is an excellent color for this 8th gen. I noticed from your post that you are an RPM person. I am also an RPM person. When I found my 5speed manual 1978 Datsun 200SZ was turning almost 3000 RPMs at 60 MPH in 5th gear, I visited a junkyard and picked up four larger wheels and added four much larger tires and managed to get the RPMs down around 2200 at 60 MPH. That not only improved fuel efficiency and tire life, but reduced interior noise and improved control in corners. In fact, it improved the car so much that my daughter took it over and used it through her last two years of college. I first became an RPM freak while living in the Arizona desert in the 1950s. It was an hour or two to anwhere I went, and lower RPMs made the journeys more pleasant.

I never seem to need fuel in this 8th gen. I measured between 33 and 34 MPG on several long trips soon after buying the car several years back, but haven't measured fuel economy this winter because it has been too cold to even get out of the car unless necessary. This car does well on ice unless the roadway is a little steep.

I was born during Roosevelt's first term, just as the great recession was tightening its grip, so, by nature, I am not a hot rodder. and do not need a lot of horsepower. Having said that, when I am on a two lane road out in the country, and need to pass in a short stretch of roadway, this car goes from 40 MPH to 80MPH in what seems like less than four seconds. Almost takes my breath away. I really love the way this CVT propels the car.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-22-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 AM

Hi Light,

Look alike you might do well with this set of tires....
(Fast forward to the 20 second mark)

Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Hi Light,

https://youtu.be/w9GwiUxEwkg
Fishlet - Those were some extremely low profile wheels and tires. Several were probably around 30 profile or lower. When I go to larger wheels and tires, I stick to 40 profile or larger. Anything lower than 40 leaves almost no sidewall to cushion the ride and protect the tire from potholes. And the tire also has the chore of protecting the rim from potholes. The wheels Nissan has on the 8th gen make it difficult for tire manufacturers to have a sidewall rib deep enough to protect these rims from the curb, although some tires come close.

Did you notice how the Maxima in the link slowed way down for even the smallest rill in the road. I have always felt profiles under 40 are for show, not actual driving on the roads we have out there these days.

I don't know what the future holds for us in tires. A few companies have experimented with tires that are solid all the way through, and use no air. But there have been problems with those tires at high speed and in getting a perfect balance. It would be nice to never have to worry about a flat or having a spare. Today's tires are pretty amazing when compared with the bias ply tires of my youth which required inner tubes, were difficult to get balanced correctly, and seldom lasted more than 15 to 20K miles.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Hi Light,

That should be a crime.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:00 PM

Points well made! But at least you won't have to worry about bottoming out on those steep driveways
Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 PM

I have seen several such setups around where I live. If the goal is to get attention, then they succeeded, because I certainly notice any time I see anything like this. If I see the driver glance my way, I smile and wave. I wouldn't want him/her to think they went to that much effort only to be ignored.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 PM

I grew up drag racing and constantly building my 1969 Camaro SS to go as fast as humanly possible (or as I could afford!). I too was an "RPM freak".... just at th OTHER end of the spectrum from which you describe! The Lord spared me from much idiocy during those wayward years, thankfully!

FF many years and I have two amazingly little boys and I ACT like a grown-up (mostly)....but I digress.

Back ON topic....I found this remarkably interesting and purchased my first CVT driven car...my beloved Maxima Platinum....and loving every minute behind the wheel!!

Last Gen, but close to ours...

Old 03-14-2018, 08:40 AM

I know this thread has been around a while but I paid the 200 for the CVT flush and it makes a difference. I am not rich but if there is a way for you to get this done and save some money do it.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 AM

Hi Light,

LOL! hope that was sarcasm.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nissanfinatic
I know this thread has been around a while but I paid the 200 for the CVT flush and it makes a difference. I am not rich but if there is a way for you to get this done and save some money do it.
Help us understand why you think this needs to be done. I'd question the need in a car with lower mileage. Don't recall what Nissan says for intervals on the 8th gen models.